Free agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Clinton-Dix is a nice fit for us. Amos from Chicago also would make me very happy. :D

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...free-agency-ha-ha-clinton-dix-lamarcus-joyner

NFL.com’s “one free agent for every team” sends S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to Los Angeles Rams
Could the Rams find a replacement for S Lamarcus Joyner in free agency?
By 3k@3k_ Feb 21, 2019, 12:30pm CSTSHARE
usa_today_11906993.0.jpg
Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports
While the immediacy of the 2019 NFL Scouting Combine is attracting much of the NFL world’s attention, free agency opens in less than three weeks and will reshape rosters across the league.

So with an eye toward the gates opening up on March 13, NFL.com’s Marc Sessler has tabbed one free agent for every team that would fit as things stand.

His pick for the Los Angeles Rams? Washington Safety Traders S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix:

Los Angeles Rams: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, safety

If you’re reading this mezzanine-level thinkpiece from start to finish, you already know I handed Rams safety Lamarcus Joyner to the Bears. That leaves L.A. with a key spot to fill. Clinton-Dix won’t change the world, but he’d give Wade Phillips an experienced backstop to lean on.

As a roster gap with Joyner set to exit, it obviously makes sense. The difficulty here is the limited cap room the Rams are operating with. The Rams are working with less than $25m according to Over the Cap. Spotrac estimates Clinton-Dix’s market value to be just under $10m per year. So bringing in the former Green Bay Packers star would bring us to about $15m in available funds. Setting aside about $6m or so for a draft class would leave us $9m or so which would fund a handful or so of key role players...and that would be your offseason.

There’s no perfect solution here with DL Ndamukong Suh, LG Rodger Saffold III and Joyner set to exit in free agency with such limited resources. The Rams aren’t flush with cash this year, and we’ve sent a second-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft out via trades. We’re just going to have to live a bit lean this year in rebuilding around the core that the Rams have put together for Head Coach Sean McVay in the years to come.

For what it’s worth as Sessler alludes to, he has three Rams headed out. He has Joyner joining Chicago:

Chicago Bears: Lamarcus Joyner, safety

With safety Adrian Amos and promising slot corner Bryce Callahan set to hit the open market, the Bears have spots to fill in the secondary. Joyner would give Chicago a reliable defender with just one missed tackle over the past two seasons. Overall, he returned to the pack last autumn after a stellar 2017 campaign, but would fill an immediate need for this Super Bowl contender.

Meanwhile, he sends EDGE Dante Fowler, Jr., across the NFC West to the San Francisco 49ers:

San Francisco 49ers: Dante Fowler Jr., edge

Just another team seeking someone to bum rush the quarterback. Fowler was a genuine help to the Rams down the stretch and sits squarely on the radar of coach Kyle Shanahan, who recently told reporters, per NBC Sports: “We’re always interested in adding pass rushers, and he’s a good pass rusher to add.” Fowler plus another edge force with the No. 2 overall pick would transform San Francisco’s defense in a hurry.

Big Saff heads north to the Minnesota Vikings:

Minnesota Vikings: Rodger Saffold, offensive guard

After inking a massive pact with Minnesota last offseason, Kirk Cousins was sold as the final puzzle piece for a club with Super Bowl aspirations. The veteran passer was better than most believe, but Minnesota’s crumbling offensive line caused wire-to-wire chaos as Cousins spent too many games on the run. Saffold turns 31 in June and will definitely be overpaid, but the Vikings cannot sit still.

And Suh heads back to the AFC to the Indianapolis Colts who have roughly $2.6b in available cap (only slightly joking):

Indianapolis Colts: Ndamukong Suh, defensive tackle

If the Rams let him walk, Suh could help turn the middle of Indy’s defense into a rough neighborhood. General manager Chris Ballard has built the roster off draft picks and economical free-agent adds, but why not use some of your league-high $108 million cap space on a blue-chip centerpiece? The idea of Suh and Defensive Rookie of the Year Darius Leonard operating as teammates is beyond juicy.

The Rams have the bulk of their work to do in re-signing their own key role players, but free agency nonetheless will provide some surprises and may just bring in a new talent for 2019.

Oh well done 3k you genius! So the Rams can’t retain their own free agents because of a paultry $25, in your estimation, of cap space. Yes the Bears and Vikings who don’t combined have as much cap space as us and they have fewer options to create cap space yet they’re going to sign Joyner and Saffold? I realize he’s only regurgitating a bad article from nfl.com but get serious here.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
San Francisco 49ers: Dante Fowler Jr., edge

Just another team seeking someone to bum rush the quarterback. Fowler was a genuine help to the Rams down the stretch and sits squarely on the radar of coach Kyle Shanahan, who recently told reporters, per NBC Sports: “We’re always interested in adding pass rushers, and he’s a good pass rusher to add.” Fowler plus another edge force with the No. 2 overall pick would transform San Francisco’s defense in a hurry.

Since he's not yet a free agent, and it is still the Rams exclusive negotiating period - isn't it tampering for Shanahan to tell the press that he is interested in Fowler?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Id like to see earl Thomas for about 10 mil but he might have his heart set on Dallas. Still, the allure of beating the hawks twice a year has to be very tempting.

Then add Grady Jarrett from Atlanta for about 17 mil.

Let suh, barron, and joyner walk and target jaylon Ferguson who had 17.5 sacks last year and really showed at the senior bowl. Let him and Obo fight it out for fowlers position.

I wish I knew more on how wade sees Ebukam and Littleton. They both make some splash plays and Littleton is ranked 11th in coverage but man we got killed up the middle in the run game. Maybe add Wright from Seattle for about 5 mil.

If we could get grady, Thomas, and draft Ferguson, I'd be stoked.

I'd also replace brockers with Meyers if we needed the money to get these 4 guys. Our rushing defense would be improved and I'll take earl Thomas over Joyner at this point

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m almost speechless.

In a scenario where Fowler, Saffold, Suh, and Joyner are gone I seriously doubt that a FA at S is at the top of Rams to-do list. Lol.

Ram65

Legend
As a roster gap with Joyner set to exit, it obviously makes sense. The difficulty here is the limited cap room the Rams are operating with. The Rams are working with less than $25m according to Over the Cap. Spotrac estimates Clinton-Dix’s market value to be just under $10m per year. So bringing in the former Green Bay Packers star would bring us to about $15m in available funds. Setting aside about $6m or so for a draft class would leave us $9m or so which would fund a handful or so of key role players...and that would be your offseason.

Numbers are way off on Rams cap.

Hope his number is wrong on Ha Ha because spending 10 Mil a year for a safety is funny when the Rams need to conserve cap space. They can find a less expensive alternative.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’m almost speechless.

In a scenario where Fowler, Saffold, Suh, and Joyner are gone I seriously doubt that a FA at S is at the top of Rams to-do list. Lol.

Safety is definitely not at the top of the to-do list. But the position was a problem for us all season and the relatively cheap answer you can get in FA (as compared to other positions) allows you to use a pick elsewhere. Which is valuable.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I’m almost speechless.

Well Joyner is as good as gone and I doubt anyone feels good about his replacement already being on the team. So unless they get super lucky with a 3rd round draft pick, FA will be where our next FS comes from. That being the case I say dont fuck around when a highly motivated and still elite earl Thomas can be had for less than we paid Joyner.

May not be a top priority but given the circumstances and the fact that they can afford it, id love to see Thomas in L.A.. He is a playmaker every game.

I figure the defense cant keep both suh and Fowler so if they keep fowler id be happy with one of the Clemson tackles in the draft, a FA DT in the 7 to 9 mil range, and Thomas at FS. If Fowler leaves id like to see Grady at tackle and draft Ferguson.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think Rams make one significant splash in FA outside our own. We have to keep in mind our future obligations to keep our core intact! I say we lock down ET and keep Saffold and Fowler, extend Littleton. Try and keep the depth guys if possible, and on draft night trade down to accumulate more picks. As long as we walk away with depth along the line to start and back up, we should be fine. Oh and find a way to land Terrill Hanks!!

JFM
draft pick
Donald

Obo
Hanks
Littleton
Fowler

Peters
Talib
NRC
ET
JJ

Brockers cut, Barron cut, Suh and Joyner leave

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that a serious question?
If so, in the case of the Rams it’s beyond expensive, it’s inconceivable
Hmm I figured 4 million for an insurance plan was worth it. Seeing as our offense never looked the same after Gurley got hurt . I figured Crowell offered a similar upside with his little bit of receiving ability. But on second thought, you could probably get a starter at a smaller position for close to that money .

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Whit, brockers and sully account for nearly 30 million this year but I doubt any of them will be on the roster for the 2020 season. This could enable the rams to turn large portions of a couple players' salaries into bonuses and spread that out over 3 years.

I think Barron is gone before September but his contract is set up to where wade can assess other options before making a decision on whether we need him at his salary.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whit, brockers and sully account for nearly 30 million this year but I doubt any of them will be on the roster for the 2020 season. This could enable the rams to turn large portions of a couple players' salaries into bonuses and spread that out over 3 years.

I think Barron is gone before September but his contract is set up to where wade can assess other options before making a decision on whether we need him at his salary.
Well since all of their contracts expire at the end of 2019 that's not really a stretch to say they won't be on the 2020 rams and all 3 are or will be over 30 during the 2020 season :)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Safety is definitely not at the top of the to-do list. But the position was a problem for us all season and the relatively cheap answer you can get in FA (as compared to other positions) allows you to use a pick elsewhere. Which is valuable.
Usually you & I are the same in our thoughts & beliefs on the Rams matters. I look @ the Rams safety matter, not as a problem but an opportunity. But a chance to improve the secondary in 2019 without spending much cap space to do it.

John Johnson III is a budding NFL star entering his 3rd season. He is still fine-tuning his game & we saw improvement all last season. JJ III will need to move into the normal Joyner post in 2019 season. He is the perfect blend of deep high safety & strong safety skills that Wade desires. Now just find a safety to fill JJ III's primary 2018 position in this defense which was usually up close to the LOS. That's not a hard thing to do for Snead.

Rams stand to have under contract four of their five safeties they practiced & played with for the entire 2018 season. Safeties Christian (mostly SS type) & Countess (mostly FS type) will be entering their 4th seasons as a Ram. Countess has 37 games with 4 starts & 3 finishes. Christian has 39 NFL games under his belt & saw a ton of action with the regular defense as the relief for both starters & in passing downs & relief for Mark Barron @ ILB'er. Snead also has SS/FS tweener Steven Parker who signed with the Rams in May of 2018 as a UDFA. Parker had a good rookie 2018 TC & preseason. Parker will be here until 2022 if Wade wants.

Conclusion good starting safeties are normally easy cap casualties for most teams & end up being a low cost one season signs for teams desiring stop gap fillers. I can see this happening rather easily. Snead is sure to draft a skilled safety too with seven draft selections. Plus Snead has an outstanding track record in finding & drafting DB's to start early.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since he's not yet a free agent, and it is still the Rams exclusive negotiating period - isn't it tampering for Shanahan to tell the press that he is interested in Fowler?

It would seem so wouldn't it. Either way, I think the whiners are going to directly target our roster or go after the same FA targets we do with bigger cap space in an attempt to shrink the gap between the two teams. I actually hope they do overpay for Fowler, so we can watch them struggle with dead money 3 years from now. MFers.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Usually you & I are the same in our thoughts & beliefs on the Rams matters. I look @ the Rams safety matter, not as a problem but an opportunity. But a chance to improve the secondary in 2019 without spending much cap space to do it.

We're actually pretty damn close irt Safety. I will be very surprised if the Rams don't get one inked in the first few days of FA in fact.

Ram65

Legend
But a chance to improve the secondary in 2019 without spending much cap space to do it.

Good idea.

John Johnson III is a budding NFL star entering his 3rd season. He is still fine-tuning his game & we saw improvement all last season. JJ III will need to move into the normal Joyner post in 2019 season. He is the perfect blend of deep high safety & strong safety skills that Wade desires. Now just find a safety to fill JJ III's primary 2018 position in this defense which was usually up close to the LOS. That's not a hard thing to do for Snead.

Rams will be paying JJ III good money in the near future. Rams can look for a draft pick or sign a veteran for less money to take over one of the safety spots.