Former Jets OC Mike LaFleur to Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Frankly, I'm underwhelmed by McVay's OC interviews. IMO he would be better off promoting from within, Olson or Brown. I'd like to see someone with a winning pedigree, particularly in the run attack where McVay clearly needs help.

He should also try to lure Evero away from the Broncos to replace Morris. Evero did more with less and his D finished in the top 10. It was a huge mistake to hire Morris and not promote Evero.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Maybe he wants "fresh" not "familiar". But how weird would it be to have a Brady?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay in his brief career as a HC has been an unparalleled success in his development of his coaching staff.
I cant recall a team which would get raided for coaches year after year like the Rams have been, not to mention the success these coaches have had. Frankly, to question McVay on this is a bit absurd. Sure we are here to converse, share opinions, yadda yadda, but when it comes to personnel decisions, I'm good with what McVay puts in place

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe he wants "fresh" not "familiar". But how weird would it be to have a Brady?
I’m saying the perfect place for him is Vegas or yes(I won’t say it),maybe Zona if they hire the righ HC.The Hags & Rams have no pass rush.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay in his brief career as a HC has been an unparalleled success in his development of his coaching staff.
I cant recall a team which would get raided for coaches year after year like the Rams have been, not to mention the success these coaches have had. Frankly, to question McVay on this is a bit absurd. Sure we are here to converse, share opinions, yadda yadda, but when it comes to personnel decisions, I'm good with what McVay puts in place
Yes especially after last season. I’m sure Mcvay is questioning himself,but winning the Superbowl & then playing on getting married & the Invasion of Ukraine. Is a lot on one’s mind while already lossing his best friend type Wes to O’Connell.Evero leaving to become the DC of Denver.
Add ALL the coaching new hires jobs just got filled before you even started.
Wonder why he doesn’t send coaches to the combine ?
—Having a head start & a season like The Rams just had Mcvay will put a solid coaching staff together,but Staley just interviewed 3 Ram coaches for his OC spot.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be extremely wary of interviewing for any role with the Chargers, Staley's on thin ice and the last thing an assistant needs is to head over there, only to see Staley fired and then its back to square 1

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Correction. McVay’s asst coach hiring record from 2017-2021 was stellar.

But his hires and internal coaching moves in ‘22 left a LOT to be desired. Just saying.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correction. McVay’s asst coach hiring record from 2017-2021 was stellar.

But his hires and internal coaching moves in ‘22 left a LOT to be desired. Just saying.
So do we define his career by the 5 successful years or the single down year where seemingly everything that could go wrong, did?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know some are saying McVay should relinquish the play calling duties to his OC. I'm fine with McVay calling the plays. He just needs to make it a partnership with his OC and let the OC do most the work in practice. I know McVay can get away from the run. But if they're successful running the ball I guarantee you he will call more run plays. Until the last few games the run blocking was atrocious. He didn't trust the run game for good reason.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Mcvay is our OC. Our other offensive coaches are more collaborators.

Yeah. I find it weird that all the fans of teams that fire their head coaches scream for offensive minded head coaches, but here we have one of...maybe the best...head coach on that end and some are wanting him to give up play calling.

WTF to that.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I know some are saying McVay should relinquish the play calling duties to his OC. I'm fine with McVay calling the plays. He just needs to make it a partnership with his OC and let the OC do most the work in practice. I know McVay can get away from the run. But if they're successful running the ball I guarantee you he will call more run plays. Until the last few games the run blocking was atrocious. He didn't trust the run game for good reason.

When he had Todd Gurley he was used.

When he broke down he switched to passing, using Cooper Kupp and Jared Goff/Matthew Stafford.

Almost like talent level is ever changing and coaches adapt accordingly. But nah it's Sean McVay being stubborn and abandons things.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Based on this year’s desire for coaching turnover he knows EXACTLY what he needs. I am not too worried either.

Sure… I’d like a guy like Reich as OC because he’s familiar to me and it makes sense from my view of things. But… Whoever McVay picks for OC it will probably be for traits we don’t see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Frankly, I'm underwhelmed by McVay's OC interviews.
Me too. Brady's arrival as OC coincided with a bad season by the Colts offense. It was reminiscent of Coen, where they had OL issues that may have prevented him from doing his thing but they looked like they took a step down.

Of the three names listed in that Yahoo article I'd go with Johnson. But I also like the idea of King as OC on the strength of what he can do for the OL. Either way if McVay wants more help from his OC he needs to bring guys in who offer what he doesn't. Which is mostly run game excellence.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be extremely wary of interviewing for any role with the Chargers, Staley's on thin ice and the last thing an assistant needs is to head over there, only to see Staley fired and then its back to square 1
Conversely, you have Justin Herbert and a ton of weapons.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Conversely, you have Justin Herbert and a ton of weapons.
Agreed, which is why the thin ice. You'd like to think an OC could go in there and run his own kitchen but ultimately Staley is in charge and if his bone headed coaching costs them games? It's all she wrote
Alas, to your point how many chances does a guy get to coach such a gifted player? A conundrum indeed......

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So do we define his career by the 5 successful years or the single down year where seemingly everything that could go wrong, did?
It’s all about context, dieter.

Yeah, the first 5 years were glorious. But the last year was the most recent and has started a troubling trend line.

Would a good doctor or mechanic ignore the 6th lap because the first 5 laps were so nice?

I submit that at this point we have 2 Sean McVays. The 2017-2021 version and the 2022 version.

So, which version are we gonna see in 2023? It’s a legit question.