Former Jets OC Mike LaFleur to Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They did not have the same staff in 22 as the one that won the SB. They have been getting their ass kicked by SF for far too long. McVay’s offense needs fresh ideas. Some of the boring predictable junk in 22 May have been because of the injuries, most was not. Kupp shouldn’t be getting 80% of the targets.

That’s off the top of my head.
They have been extremely successful up until this year which was derailed by unparalleled injury. Changing the whole dynamic over what happened this year is akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water

Ellard80

Legend
I do get a laugh a bit out of "McVay" calls the same ol plays.

But then to some Shanny is a magic play caller.

I watch the 49ners and guess what... i see them call a lot of the same plays they usually call.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
One note re: quarters is if we're gonna get back to being multiple on the back end and playing QB mind games we're gonna need at least one safety. Safeties gotta be able to switch out and work over the top or coming down into the box to get the most from that scheme in the way Staley did as DC. I'm on record that I want to move on from Morris but there is no doubt he had a shit sandwich back there at safety.

Which was his fault to some extent. But still. Ain't nobody gonna look good calling a defense with two meatballs at safety. And by meatballs I mean SS types.

I call BS & Nick Scott blew Debow up on 2021. He played well this season
I do get a laugh a bit out of "McVay" calls the same ol plays.

But then to some Shanny is a magic play caller.

I watch the 49ners and guess what... i see them call a lot of the same plays they usually call.

Yeah - John Robinson & John McCay used to call the same plays as well.
Can you say DOMINANCE!! Maybe a little student body will do you good every so often.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
They have been extremely successful up until this year which was derailed by unparalleled injury. Changing the whole dynamic over what happened this year is akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water
They already have lost several coaches, burn out is being blamed for McVay’s “I need time to evaluate”. There’s no doubt we have enjoyed one of the better periods in Ram’s history with McVay/Sneed.

However, there is room for improvement and many are calling for “a real OC”. If that produces positive results and McVay isn’t talking about leaving each season why would anyone not want that?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They already have lost several coaches, burn out is being blamed for McVay’s “I need time to evaluate”. There’s no doubt we have enjoyed one of the better periods in Ram’s history with McVay/Sneed.

However, there is room for improvement and many are calling for “a real OC”. If that produces positive results and McVay isn’t talking about leaving each season why would anyone not want that?
On the other hand, McVay is said to be excited and energized about assembling a staff and getting to work. Apparently, he went home looked at his life and said, "who the hell am I kidding? I can't not coach!"

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
On the other hand, McVay is said to be excited and energized about assembling a staff and getting to work. Apparently, he went home looked at his life and said, "who the hell am I kidding? I can't not coach!"
I love all this.

I'm growing more hopeful that Sean is realizing that he just *is* a coach and that he needs to figure out how to make the job work a little better for him, when it comes to balance.

I had my fingers crossed.. I didn't think he could walk away with everyone calling him a quitter because things got tough. That just isn't something I think he could live with.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I never thought he was leaving but I do think he has learned a lot each year and, there is an opportunity to grow.

Who knows what that looks like going forward? Hopefully we get a look at what that means over the next few weeks.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I just don't believe McVay wants yes men. He couldn't be as good of a HC and as well liked around the league. Yes men don't get anywhere in this league. What he does like is to help other coaches get their chance at success. Like he got. So he pays it forward.

Like you, I would prefer he get someone like Reich so he doesn't burn out, but he loves it to much. Plus he would probably be one of those back seat driver types. Maybe someone like Reich won't want that job.
All true but that's where he needs to trust his skills in hiring give some input but let Reich roll. Other than Morris and really only Wade all kind of underling type that yes have blossomed in many cases elsewhere but infor one would like to see a real OC not that he isn't he is boy genius but I think the repetition the abandoning of the run and some other things would be good to have new blood and free him up to lead and have that balance. Who knows nobody been hired yet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They already have lost several coaches, burn out is being blamed for McVay’s “I need time to evaluate”.
He loses coaches every year, reloads and moves on. No need to change what has been working. That whole "burn out" thing was media created, overblown. They got the shit kicked out of them and now McVay is as motivated as ever to kick some ass. No need to change the formula of success

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I don't think McVay is going to have enough resources to get this roster where he wants it. It will have some holes in it, some spots where we're dependent on hitting on a roll of the dice in order to be a real contender. So I'm expecting we'll be a wildcard level roster, somewhere around that. He can probably elevate that a bit too.

Which means it's going to be important to have some breaks go his way with the coaching staff. His staff has been relentlessly plundered, going back worse than any other coach I can recall. That has an effect. So I feel like he needs some karmic bounce-back this offseason there to help him get this staff back to where they have an edge over every team they meet.

Reich coming aboard I see as that kind of example. That would be a top quality hire. Kind of hire that can move us forward. Staley is the same. His playoff performances aside, Staley is exceptional when he's allowed to focus in on his opponent and gameplan them as DC. I'd really like to have that back and we'd get back to a properly called and schemed quarters which is so well suited to all these offenses with their fucking athletes running crossers.

It's a shame Fangio has hooked on with Asshole Face. At least I heard that, could be rumor. Otherwise he's also that level of hire we could use to help offset what we're looking at. This year's staff was not up to snuff IMO, on top of all the other issues that we had going on. Sure would be nice to see that change and I think McVay deserves that given how badly these owners have raped his staff during his time in the league.
Great post! Agree it will be very tough, and more likely not possible, to fill all the holes in the roster in a single year. Also agree that puts a premium on making some great assistant coaching hires. And on better schemes and adjustments. And on more realistic evaluations of the available talent.

Imo there was also some kind of a misalignment, or mismatch, between the coaching staff and the roster this past year. Seems like the initial evaluation of the roster was way off base. The oline subs weren't ready enough to play. Akers was in a funk until the end of the year and Henderson wasn't good enough. We didn't make any use of Allen Robinson. We cut two of our starting defensive ends and lots of other guys. Not least, some of the guys who played well didn't get a chance to show it until too late when the season was already over.

Imo we need better coaching and also better evaluation, sooner, of the available talent and of players we need to acquire to be really competitive.

Ellard80

Legend
Who says McVay is giving up play calling? Some poster from another forum?
lol... yeah

I said earlier that people are in for disappointment if they think that's happening.

The leader of an Offense that has been top 10 in ppg 4 out of his 6 years should give it up.

I agree he needs some new voices and influences but ya...

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
McVay has been the only consistent coach the rams have had since Hes been hired year in and out. His good coaches leave which must be taxing admittedly or not. so now maybe he gives some duties and delegation where it belongs and lets his newly hired coaches that can contribute the responsibility he should let happen. someone who has his respect would be good. like Wade Phillips did and most recently Coach Morris or others he might have trusted. building the staff is going to be as interesting as dealing with the players and the cap. go rams.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
lol... yeah

I said earlier that people are in for disappointment if they think that's happening.

The leader of an Offense that has been top 10 in ppg 4 out of his 6 years should give it up.

I agree he needs some new voices and influences but ya...
IMO, I really believe McVay would be better served delegating that to someone else jut to alleviate the strain & pressure allowing him to focus on the scheme plus managing the game. Again that's JMHO. Especially if McVay hires someone like Frank Reich an experience play caller.

Brian Daboll did that with the Giants, he decided not to call the plays empowering Mike Kafka and there are other head coaches that continue to call their own plays like Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan for example, but those Coaches are not complaining about a case of burnout or being spent so I believe McVay could be better served entrusting this to someone else.