Former Jets OC Mike LaFleur to Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
This article says he was blocked from being hired by his brother. Interesting how they are tied in with Salah.

Maybe this time McVay gives up playcalling. I hate the early TOs

I like Reich as an OC.
Love Reich he is good with the game old and new and he can tell mcvay no without fear which I believe is what he needs honestly.

Mcvay speaks of being humbled and that was by circumstances out of his control for him to truly get it I believe he has to be humbled in that way as well.

It's like when your a tough guy you fight fight after fight but at one time or another you lose one get your ass kicked you need that to grow truly in all aspects. So I'm all for a Mon "yes man"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think McVay is going to have enough resources to get this roster where he wants it. It will have some holes in it, some spots where we're dependent on hitting on a roll of the dice in order to be a real contender. So I'm expecting we'll be a wildcard level roster, somewhere around that. He can probably elevate that a bit too.

Which means it's going to be important to have some breaks go his way with the coaching staff. His staff has been relentlessly plundered, going back worse than any other coach I can recall. That has an effect. So I feel like he needs some karmic bounce-back this offseason there to help him get this staff back to where they have an edge over every team they meet.

Reich coming aboard I see as that kind of example. That would be a top quality hire. Kind of hire that can move us forward. Staley is the same. His playoff performances aside, Staley is exceptional when he's allowed to focus in on his opponent and gameplan them as DC. I'd really like to have that back and we'd get back to a properly called and schemed quarters which is so well suited to all these offenses with their fucking athletes running crossers.

It's a shame Fangio has hooked on with Asshole Face. At least I heard that, could be rumor. Otherwise he's also that level of hire we could use to help offset what we're looking at. This year's staff was not up to snuff IMO, on top of all the other issues that we had going on. Sure would be nice to see that change and I think McVay deserves that given how badly these owners have raped his staff during his time in the league.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Mcvay is our OC. Our other offensive coaches are more collaborators.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think McVay is going to have enough resources to get this roster where he wants it. It will have some holes in it, some spots where we're dependent on hitting on a roll of the dice in order to be a real contender. So I'm expecting we'll be a wildcard level roster, somewhere around that. He can probably elevate that a bit too.

Which means it's going to be important to have some breaks go his way with the coaching staff. His staff has been relentlessly plundered, going back worse than any other coach I can recall. That has an effect. So I feel like he needs some karmic bounce-back this offseason there to help him get this staff back to where they have an edge over every team they meet.

Reich coming aboard I see as that kind of example. That would be a top quality hire. Kind of hire that can move us forward. Staley is the same. His playoff performances aside, Staley is exceptional when he's allowed to focus in on his opponent and gameplan them as DC. I'd really like to have that back and we'd get back to a properly called and schemed quarters which is so well suited to all these offenses with their fucking athletes running crossers.

It's a shame Fangio has hooked on with Asshole Face. At least I heard that, could be rumor. Otherwise he's also that level of hire we could use to help offset what we're looking at. This year's staff was not up to snuff IMO, on top of all the other issues that we had going on. Sure would be nice to see that change and I think McVay deserves that given how badly these owners have raped his staff during his time in the league.
So much just depends on health.
If the same basic group they have this year came back next and was healthy? They'd be a playoff team.
Akers is kicking ass and there's no reason to think that can't continue. He was projected as a top 5-10 back before he blew out his achilles and he looks like 100% to me.
They have the 2nd and third and the ability... if they choose... to open up a shit ton of money.

Stan has to decide if it's worth it to pay a bunch of cash this year.

dang

Legend

IMO the Rams are 2 players away from an elite Defense under the right DC. An elite Edge and a CB2 (“Long Gone” and “Over the Hill” ain’t cutting it. I am optimistic about Durant but he’ll need another year to acclimate). Someone like Fangio should be able to shape the Rams D up in time for the 2023 season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One note re: quarters is if we're gonna get back to being multiple on the back end and playing QB mind games we're gonna need at least one safety. Safeties gotta be able to switch out and work over the top or coming down into the box to get the most from that scheme in the way Staley did as DC. I'm on record that I want to move on from Morris but there is no doubt he had a shit sandwich back there at safety.

Which was his fault to some extent. But still. Ain't nobody gonna look good calling a defense with two meatballs at safety. And by meatballs I mean SS types.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I would like to see someone @ O.C. who has experience as O.C. and head coach too, like Reich. At a minimum someone who has been around and isn't another team's shiny new toy after a year or 2 on the Rams. I think a retread (used loosely) that has already been hired and fired stands a much better chance of hanging around and isn't any less fit for the role, while possibly even bringing some experience that may benefit SMV and the rest of the staff.

oldnotdead

Legend
The only true FS on the roster is Scott who is a UFA this year. Lake and Yeast have the length and enough speed to play in a quarters or two high shell type of zone. They also can play in a middle zone scheme. Jordan Fuller lacks the speed to play anything except as an in the box safety. There are faster LBs than Fuller. With his size he is best played as a coverage LB in a short zone scheme.

Kendricks lacks the speed to play boundary CB. Rochell and Durant are much better suited for that role. Morris for some reason doesn't like Rochell and Durant even though both have played better than Kendricks who runs hot and cold with his effort. I'd rather have Hall who is undersized but faster and quicker and gives 100% effort.

Talent in the secondary isn't the problem. It's how Morris uses or doesn't use what he has. The holes are DE and after AD leaves 3T. IMO trade for Buckner who is a worthy replacement for AD. Move AD to DE for his final season. With Floyd, Buckner, Gaines and Donald that is a formidable 4 man DL. Tough against the run and able to provide a 4 man pass rush. After AD retires then focus upon an edge.

I have no problem with LaFluer as OC. The OC under McVay creates the game plan within McVay's offense. He then assists during the game telling McVay what he sees from the booth. In other words the OC then understands McVay's concepts and designs. He can add his input within the framework of McVay's system. That is probably why Olson doesn't seem to be the next OC. Olson could be an OC in the traditional sense. He's apparently getting some interest as a HC. His offense is more plug and play for most QBs. If McVay really wanted to be a sideline game manager then Olson would be the logical choice for his OC in the same way McVay's DCs are.

If Brown doesn't get a HC job then he should be OC IMO. They slapped that title assist HC to make it harder to poach him. If they really value him that much then he should get the promotion to OC. That's the problem with McVay, he doesn't promote from within and it's why coaches move on.

I still say Brian Flores could make this defense a top 5 unit with the talent he would have on this roster. He also would provide an inhouse solution should McVay want to walk away again. Or I think McVay should ask the Broncos for permission to speak to Ejiro Evero to replace Morris. IMO it was a mistake to allow him to move on and not promote him instead of hiring Morris. Denver's defensive ranking on many services is around 7. The Rams rank 18 or 19 on most services. With a healthy Ram roster Evero probably could get this defense into the top 5. McVay is getting rid of mediocre players, why does he allow a mediocre DC?

One of the reasons I think Mayfield will be the QB in 2024 is financial. Stafford is due a huge commitment in cash in 2024. Matt's cap hit goes from $20M this year to $49.5M in 2024. So if Baker is smart he will commit to at least a one year understudy year in LA. He will give Snead and McVay a bigger Super Bowl window than Stafford with a much lower cost. They could sign Mayfield to a reasonable 3 year prove-it deal in 2024 (i.e. something like $100M over 3 years with $50M guaranteed. I don't really think Stafford was destined to playout the full contract. I think his last year would have been 2025 regardless. Mayfield gives them a no trade cost option with a much longer career potential (10-12 years). It would be foolish in the extreme to let him walk. With his shiny new toy McVay would stay at least through his contract (through 2026) which is 4 more seasons.

McVay needs to start grooming his replacement if he really is going to walk away at some point in the foreseeable future. Be it Brown or LaFluer or someone else. I think this was a wake up call to Snead who needs to tell Sean that he needs an understudy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just can’t get excited about him being the OC. It’s exactly the same kind of thing with a different body. Not a change that will change the dynamic in the staff.
And why does the dynamic need to change? Rams won a SB just last year this way.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Mcvay is our OC. Our other offensive coaches are more collaborators.
That needs to change IMO, McVay needs to delegate more and empower someone to call plays. IMO, LaFleur will be with the Rams, I just don't think he'll be the OC. TE Coach & Passing game coordinator will be his title IMHO.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Love Reich he is good with the game old and new and he can tell mcvay no without fear which I believe is what he needs honestly.

Mcvay speaks of being humbled and that was by circumstances out of his control for him to truly get it I believe he has to be humbled in that way as well.

It's like when your a tough guy you fight fight after fight but at one time or another you lose one get your ass kicked you need that to grow truly in all aspects. So I'm all for a Mon "yes man"
I just don't believe McVay wants yes men. He couldn't be as good of a HC and as well liked around the league. Yes men don't get anywhere in this league. What he does like is to help other coaches get their chance at success. Like he got. So he pays it forward.

Like you, I would prefer he get someone like Reich so he doesn't burn out, but he loves it to much. Plus he would probably be one of those back seat driver types. Maybe someone like Reich won't want that job.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I just don't believe McVay wants yes men. He couldn't be as good of a HC and as well liked around the league. Yes men don't get anywhere in this league. What he does like is to help other coaches get their chance at success. Like he got. So he pays it forward.

The Matt LaFleur case is a perfect example.

LaFleur was a first time Offensive Coordinator with the Rams in 2017 but did did not call plays.

When Tennessee hired a first-time Head Coach, with a defensive background in Mike Vrable in 2018, McVay could have easily blocked LaFleur from going to the Titans as their Offensive Coordinator, as it was a lateral-move in title.

In reality, LaFleur would have more control in Tennessee; and McVay allowed him to leave (after just one season) because it was a good move and opportunity for LaFleur's coaching career.

It was a Classy Move by Sean McVay.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In reality, LaFleur would have more control in Tennessee; and McVay allowed him to leave (after just one season) because it was a good move and opportunity for LaFleur's coaching career.

It was a Classy Move by Sean McVay.
Yes it was and McVay has shown that he wants to empower Assistants with better opportunities to further their careers as he was empowered by others. LaFleur being able to call plays for the Titans enabled him to get his opportunity to be a Head Coach.

McVay has only blocked two assistants from leaving, Kevin O'Connell as Brandon Staley wanted to hire O'Connell as his OC with the Chargers and Jonathan Coley was blocked going to the Vikings last season to join Kevin O'Connell's staff.

Sad part I think McVay would have been better served blocking Wes Phillips who was the Rams TE Coach, promoting him to OC instead of bringing in Liam Coen.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And why does the dynamic need to change? Rams won a SB just last year this way.
They did not have the same staff in 22 as the one that won the SB. They have been getting their ass kicked by SF for far too long. McVay’s offense needs fresh ideas. Some of the boring predictable junk in 22 May have been because of the injuries, most was not. Kupp shouldn’t be getting 80% of the targets.

That’s off the top of my head.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Hiring LaFleur makes me think McVay is not going to hand over play calling abilities. Seems like everyother OC we've had, just a guy either a title. Then again I could be completely wrong.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Why do we all assume that McVay needs to give up play calling and that his issues aren't related to other roles he plays within the team/ organization?

Maybe he needs more help in other places so he can put more attention on the offense.

Just a thought.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do we all assume that McVay needs to give up play calling and that his issues aren't related to other roles he plays within the team/ organization?

Maybe he needs more help in other places so he can put more attention on the offense.

Just a thought.
This was partially my belief as well. Most offensive coaches call their own place. I think that's just what they prefer. I would bet however that they would like more help in terms of game planning and scouting opponents. I wouldn't be surprised if anybody wants more help in those phases.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hiring LaFleur makes me think McVay is not going to hand over play calling abilities. Seems like everyother OC we've had, just a guy either a title. Then again I could be completely wrong.
Everyone keeps going on about playcalling but I don't think that is the issue with him getting home at a reasonable hour and having a life. It's having someone who can break down defenses for him, find cracks in their rules vs what they have on the field, and gameplan a great way to attack them. That's the heavy lifting part of the job, the part that requires hours of film review and analysis. Once you have that, the playcalling is the fun part.

Reason I'd like to see him give that up is to help him be more of an overseer on gameday. But I think what has hurt him is the continued plundering of his staff.

I do agree that LaFleur won't get playcalling duties. Or at least it seems unlikely. So I'm definitely hoping for Reich to come in because whether or not he's the guy calling it he is definitely very good at gameplanning a balanced attack which will help McVay out. And he's also of a quality where I have to think McVay would hand him the gameday calls too. This makes him the ideal OC hire for this offseason.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Everyone keeps going on about playcalling but I don't think that is the issue with him getting home at a reasonable hour and having a life. It's having someone who can break down defenses for him, find cracks in their rules vs what they have on the field, and gameplan a great way to attack them. That's the heavy lifting part of the job, the part that requires hours of film review and analysis. Once you have that, the playcalling is the fun part.

Reason I'd like to see him give that up is to help him be more of an overseer on gameday. But I think what has hurt him is the continued plundering of his staff.

I do agree that LaFleur won't get playcalling duties. Or at least it seems unlikely. So I'm definitely hoping for Reich to come in because whether or not he's the guy calling it he is definitely very good at gameplanning a balanced attack which will help McVay out. And he's also of a quality where I have to think McVay would hand him the gameday calls too. This makes him the ideal OC hire for this offseason.
You are correct, it won't get him home earlier or effect him having a life, but it will unload a portion of responsibility on game day. That may help greatly on his mental state. I also haven't been too impressed with the play calling the last 2 seasons. It's been missing the creativity that we use to see when he first arrived.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
That needs to change IMO, McVay needs to delegate more and empower someone to call plays. IMO, LaFleur will be with the Rams, I just don't think he'll be the OC. TE Coach & Passing game coordinator will be his title IMHO.
I agree. I think in some sense McVay can still "run the offense", but not be the playcaller. I agree that I don't believe LaFleur would be the guy to come in and be the play caller. He'll likely have another title. But I want us to have a more veteran offensive coach come in and be the play caller.

I know we brought in Jay Gruden as a consultant this season...I'm wondering if he will continue to have a role. All I know is we have to diversify our offense. We are way too predictable now.....and we need to run the ball.