Flipper's 336 Yard Record Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Remember watching it as well.

Honestly thought that Calvin Johnson was gonna break that record when he got his 329 yds in 2013.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The article is fun as they talk with Blade (Everett) and he shares some great stuff I had never heard before.

You even find out how Flipper really earned his nickname.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I watched it on SNF and recorded it (VHS). Years later I transferred it to DVD (which is almost as outdated as vhs). IIRC, it was Kevin Greene who hurdled the OL to make a third down stop on Dalton Hilliard and get the ball back, so Lansford could tie it up. Then with the extra time Flipper set the record and Lansford won the game. Ellard was injured (hamstring?) and missed that game.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I watched it on SNF and recorded it (VHS). Years later I transferred it to DVD (which is almost as outdated as vhs). IIRC, it was Kevin Greene who hurdled the OL to make a third down stop on Dalton Hilliard and get the ball back, so Lansford could tie it up. Then with the extra time Flipper set the record and Lansford won the game. Ellard was injured (hamstring?) and missed that game.

This article gives all the background stuff on Ellard with that game. It really has some cool insight on that game that I had never heard before.

Flipper89

UDFA
Oh I’m sure it was his hamstring. I remember Ellard’s chronically injured hamstrings as much as I remember him! Almost.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I found it interesting that Flipper seems to be enjoying his present life and isn't hung up on reliving his past. Here's the relevant paragraph:

He’s in his 19th year as a high school basketball referee. At 57, he says he does it to stay young and in shape. The kids who play in the games are completely unaware of his past life and frankly would never believe he owns the NFL’s all-time receiving record for a single game. “To them, I’m known as Mr. Ref,” Anderson says. “If I told them that I was a former football player they probably wouldn’t even believe me. No one knows.”

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Still remember this game very well. I didn't have cable at the time so I went and watched it at a sports bar called The Scoreboard, in Charlotte NC. Got so frustrated with the game and almost walked out so many times, but there was a little voice that kept telling me to stay, so I did. Lo and behold, Everett, playing pitch and catch with Anderson, led them to two TD's in the final two minutes of the 4th quarter, then Greene made the huge midfield stop in OT to get us the ball back. Everett then drove us into position, Lansford kicked the game winner, and I left that place on cloud 9. I had never seen the Rams make a comeback like that before, which made it extra sweet.

They looked dead and buried with a 17-3 deficit late in the 4th quarter, Everett had been abused by the Saints ridiculously talented LB corps, and when we would get something going we would get a holding call. And they were without Henry Ellard that night as well, who was a huge part of the offense. Yet somehow, with all that adversity, they got it done.

What a game.

Tano

Legend
I was in Cancun watching that game.

I had almost turned off the TV many times that night but kept it on because I stayed in to watch that game and let my friends go without me.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Speaking of Rams and all-time records...

There are 3 Rams in the top 17 of all-time receiving yards.

And there are 4 Rams in the top 18 of all-time rushing yards.

See how quick you can think of 'em without looking 'em up...

nighttrain

Legend
Speaking of Rams and all-time records...

There are 3 Rams in the top 17 of all-time receiving yards.

And there are 4 Rams in the top 18 of all-time rushing yards.

See how quick you can think of 'em without looking 'em up...
Receivers-Bruce, Holt, and Ellard
RBs-Dickerson, Jackson, Bass, Faulk
train

fearsomefour

Legend
Those Rams Saints games were great in that era.
Sam Mills and Jackson were a terror pass rushing off the edge.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Receivers-Bruce, Holt, and Ellard
RBs-Dickerson, Jackson, Bass, Faulk
train
Nice job, ya got 6 out of 7....

Hint: Stats are skewed to the modern era (more games per season, etc). So Dick Bass isn't one of the 4 Ram RB's in the top 18...

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
'89 was such a great year to be a Rams fan.

For some reason I remember being really stoked in 1990 when the NFL Preview Issue in Sports Illustrated had a big feature article (pics below) on Flipper and Ellard. I thought the Rams were loaded and headed for great things in the '90s...

81AC21A9-3F8F-4937-ACCA-D79A4EF185BF.jpeg
45FFD1B6-48BF-47EA-87EA-3948FE9C2307.jpeg

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I think I've shared this here before, but with no cable TV and living in a remote area of California, I was stuck trying to tune into the game on my radio. The only station I could get with the game was a Spanish language station from Fresno or Bakersfield. I think I had taken only an intro Spanish class at that point and had to rely on names, announcer excitement, and slowly translating numbers into English to realize that Flipper was doing something amazing. I wish I could have seen it live on TV, but it still made for a memorable experience.