Fisher announces Austin Davis is QB going forward

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Top five reasons Fish shouldn't have named AD the season long starter:

1) You said Hill would be the starter when healthy many times. Now your players have no reason to believe anything you say.

2) If AD pulls a Cousins, you will have to short hook him and lose even more credibility.

3) If you do short hook AD, bring in Hill, and he is awesome, you will look like and idiot AND a liar.

4) There was no reason to name a season long starter. It just paints you into a corner.

5) SH still has many years in him. He COULD have been the team QB for several winning seasons while you groom a replacement. Now, why stay?

While I understand Fisher saying Davis is the starter for the remainder of the season (confidence boost), you have to know that if Davis tanks, Hill's back in there.

No way Fisher will allow Davis to falter and the losses to mount up.

If I were Fisher, I would have couched it a bit? Maybe say Davis is the starter for the "forseeable future" or something like that?

jjab360

Legend
Top five reasons Fish shouldn't have named AD the season long starter:

1) You said Hill would be the starter when healthy many times. Now your players have no reason to believe anything you say.

2) If AD pulls a Cousins, you will have to short hook him and lose even more credibility.

3) If you do short hook AD, bring in Hill, and he is awesome, you will look like and idiot AND a liar.

4) There was no reason to name a season long starter. It just paints you into a corner.

5) SH still has many years in him. He COULD have been the team QB for several winning seasons while you groom a replacement. Now, why stay?
Those aren't reasons, those are hypotheticals. Big difference.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Also, I don't think Fisher ever said anything about "for the rest of the season." Am I mistaken?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Also, I don't think Fisher ever said anything about "for the rest of the season." Am I mistaken?
He did say it, there is a post a few pages back of quotes from Fisher that Davis is the starting QB for the rest of the season. He did that so he wouldn't be worrying and looking over his shoulder if he had a bad game.

Edit: here are the exact quotes

“We’re going to go ahead and start Austin for the remainder of the season,” Fisher said after Wednesday’s practice. “It’s not that Shaun lost the job, it’s that Austin earned an opportunity to keep it.

“My parting comments with Austin was I told him not to look over his shoulders,” Fisher said. “So he’s gonna take this team and run with it.”

RamzFanz

Damnit
Oh where to go with this overreaction. I suppose I'll go down the list.

#1. You have what Fisher has said to the MEDIA, not what he's said internally, especially to Hill himself. Of that we don't know. And this is a bit overboard anyway. He's a backup QB. Has been his entire career.

#2. Well, what if Hill pulls a McGown and sucks wind out of the sails? What exactly is Fisher's loyalty to a guy brought in on a one year deal anyway?

#3. Or you just look like a micromanager with his panties in a twist who was unwilling to let the QB battle his way out of his mistakes.

#4. Actually, there is. Stability in the offense. Working chemistry. Knowing which QB style to play to.

#5. You aren't serious as you mate? This quad injury or w/e it was, would go against your theory. He looks a bit out of shape. He's never handled full duties in the NFL and he's now what, 34 years old. You have no idea if Hill still has many years in him. Sure he has no mileage on his arm, but that could actually be a negative.

#6. The what-if game is a hopeless endeavor of futility. Not sure why your passions are so strongly in favor of Hill who's been a Ram for like a nano-second. There's no proof Hill could look any better, or worse. But playing a QB carousel is a stupid, stupid idea. I hate jerking QBs around. What are we supposed to do? Give each an equal amount of time to prove themselves? How many games does Hill get? What does he have to do to prove he gets the starting job over Davis? Simple lack of turning the ball over? Making a specific throw? Moving the ball better than Davis? I got news, if he moves the ball better than Davis has, he'd have to be completing 80% of his passes, a 9 YPA, and 8 TDs to 0 INTs. Don't see that outta Hill.

Hill isn't the future here. If he is, the Rams are in big trouble. Hence was Davis gets the nod. You have data on Hill. You don't yet fully know what Davis can do.

And quite frankly, Davis having 3 years in the system means Shotty can do more with Davis, imo, than Hill.

"There's no proof Hill could look any better, or worse." Actually there is. He looked much better than AD in OTAs, TC, and PS. The half a game he played, he played very well. His drives were all stopped by penalties as I remember it.

He has qualities you don't find in young QBs. He reads defenses well. He drops back and passes being able to anticipate the open receiver. He moves in the pocket better than AD.

I have no idea where you got the idea that AD hasn't thrown INTs. Saying things like Hill's never been a starter and he looks out of shape is false.

YOU have no idea if Hill is the future here or not. He could easily have 5-6 more years in him or more.

However, I'm just pointing out that Fish appears to have made a knee jerk decisions without all of the information he could have had.

Me? I would have started Hill against the Eagles and seen where it went. If it went great, wonderful, just like he thought when he named him the starter. If he sucked, pull him. I'd MUCH rather KNOW I have the best QB for the season than worry about a quarter or two of a single game.

I don't know why people are saying BS like Quarterback carousel or jerking QBs around or thinking the Rams will have stability after 2 starts for a QB. What I'M saying is Hill has qualities that could make him a better QB and I would have at least taken a fair look at him.

I hope AD tears it up and there's no question going forward. I'm all for it. We'll see.

RamzFanz

Damnit
While I understand Fisher saying Davis is the starter for the remainder of the season (confidence boost), you have to know that if Davis tanks, Hill's back in there.

No way Fisher will allow Davis to falter and the losses to mount up.

If I were Fisher, I would have couched it a bit? Maybe say Davis is the starter for the "forseeable future" or something like that?

I guess that's where I see it differently. AD being good in this system doesn't mean Hill couldn't be better. Now we may never know.

I wouldn't have changed to AD as the starter until I could see Hill. AD is a long critisized QB, and fairly so, who had 1 good game against Dallas and 1 win on a 10 second runoff against Tampa. Neither of those are astounding feats. I'm not naming any QB the starter with that record. I would see what I have, then decide.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Those aren't reasons, those are hypotheticals. Big difference.

Very likely hypotheticals IMHO. I'm not trying to be a downer, but we have AD's history of looking terrible forever and then 2 OK games. That's not a sample size I would hang my hat on while I have a vet on the bench who looked good throughout the process and knows the system.

I'm 100% wanting AD to blow the Eagles up. I just don't get the decision.

RamzFanz

Damnit
You know what would be cool? If Fisher faked the wink and is lying about AD being the starter and Hill walks out there on Sunday.

I KNOW a lot of you guys are going all wild about AD, but set that aside for a second, IF Fisher intended Hill to start and he's just jerking the Eagles around with the QBs in on it, that would be funny.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Very likely hypotheticals IMHO. I'm not trying to be a downer, but we have AD's history of looking terrible forever and then 2 OK games. That's not a sample size I would hang my hat on while I have a vet on the bench who looked good throughout the process and knows the system.

I'm not sure I agree with you on "looking horrible then ok for two games."

He looked pretty solid this preseason in my opinion. And I don't know how you can accurately judge him on previous preseasons when he played maybe 2 or 3 halfs. And also, young players show inconsistency. That's just how it is when you have guys with little experience.

I'm not saying this kid is the next Brett Farve or Kurt Warner, but I am saying it would have been dumb to go with Hill the rest of the season considering AD might have some upside and we have no idea what is going on with our QB situation.

jjab360

Legend
You know what would be cool? If Fisher faked the wink and is lying about AD being the starter and Hill walks out there on Sunday.

I KNOW a lot of you guys are going all wild about AD, but set that aside for a second, IF Fisher intended Hill to start and he's just jerking the Eagles around with the QBs in on it, that would be funny.
No, that would be the stupidest thing of all time and he would lose all credibility with Rams fans, including me. You obviously seem to have something against Davis, but the fact remains that he has performed admirably when given the chance. He earned the starter's job with his play against TB and Dallas, you just need to get over it.

looking terrible forever and then 2 OK games.

I wasn't at the OTAs so I can't comment on how he looked in practice, but we are talking about a guy who threw for a passer rating of over 100 in preseason whilst working with some poor talent (Sean Hooey being the best example)?

And OK in 2 games? We're talking about one of 2 active players to throw for over 70% completion percentage in both of their first two starts. A player who if he had the sense to throw to someone other than Cook in the redzone most likely performs better than Bradford did through all but one of his 49 starts in only his second start.

I get that you don't like the guy, that's fine, but to drop him for someone who hasn't played well in games for 7 years would not be smart.

RamzFanz

Damnit
No, that would be the stupidest thing of all time and he would lose all credibility with Rams fans, including me. You obviously seem to have something against Davis, but the fact remains that he has performed admirably when given the chance. He earned the starter's job with his play against TB and Dallas, you just need to get over it.

Convincing the Eagles that AD was starting "would be the stupidest thing of all time and he would lose all credibility with Rams fans"?

I "obviously seem to have something against Davis"?

I hope AD tears it up and there's no question going forward. I'm all for it. We'll see.

Grow up dude, you're being an :jerkoff:

Athos

Legend
He looked much better than AD in OTAs, TC, and PS

Those things mean nothing to me. The NFL is littered with guys who looked like world beaters during PS, OTAs, TC, etc, and fell flat on their faces. The opposite is true as well.

I have no idea where you got the idea that AD hasn't thrown INTs. Saying things like Hill's never been a starter and he looks out of shape is false.

Not sure where you got this. I asked what would qualify a Hill performance or two being better than what Davis has done. I qualified that by saying Hill would have to complete 80% of his passes, throw 8 TDs, and throw no picks, with a 9 YPA average.

YOU have no idea if Hill is the future here or not. He could easily have 5-6 more years in him or more.

I find this utterly flabbergasting. There's a reason he's been a backup QB for his entire 13 year career, only 9 of which have seen any real game action in anyway. Name me a QB that's ridden the bench that long, and become a starting QB in the NFL with any measure of extended success.

And 18 of his career TDs, BTW, came with Detroit. Not saying that's a negative against him or that he didn't show anything to get those stats, but

Megatron accounts for 8 of those TDs.
Isaac Bruce another 3 of those TDs playing with the Whiners.

I also have to question this, "Hill doesn't turn the ball over with poor mistakes like Davis." During the times he got either a good chunk of the game, or started, like in 2010, he threw a pick in 8 of the 11 games started, 4 games in which he threw 2 picks. 5/9 games with Whiners, threw a pick. 3 against The Rams.

Saying Davis is Warner/Favre is bad enough. Trying to say Hill is another more than a vet to learn from is even worse.

rams2050

Starter
Plus, Davis really seems like an instinctive QB. He sees something, and he does something. Doesn't seem to be too much of a hesitator; he is a 'decider,' as the last President was, and on the field that is a good thing.

Now, if he only was 4-inches taller. Those Dallas announcers, last week, couldn't get over the fact that (according to them) that Davis couldn't see downfield in order to tell who was open. Well, he's relatively short, I think one said, at 6'1". Which, I guess, when it comes to NFL QBs that is true. Still, he seems to get the job done.

Athos

Legend
Plus, Davis really seems like an instinctive QB. He sees something, and he does something. Doesn't seem to be too much of a hesitator; he is a 'decider,' as the last President was, and on the field that is a good thing.

Now, if he only was 4-inches taller. Those Dallas announcers, last week, couldn't get over the fact that (according to them) that Davis couldn't see downfield in order to tell who was open. Well, he's relatively short, I think one said, at 6'1". Which, I guess, when it comes to NFL QBs that is true. Still, he seems to get the job done.

Brees makes it work. Methinks studying how Brees does it may help? o_O

RamzFanz

Damnit
I wasn't at the OTAs so I can't comment on how he looked in practice, but we are talking about a guy who threw for a passer rating of over 100 in preseason whilst working with some poor talent (Sean Hooey being the best example)?

And OK in 2 games? We're talking about one of 2 active players to throw for over 70% completion percentage in both of their first two starts. A player who if he had the sense to throw to someone other than Cook in the redzone most likely performs better than Bradford did through all but one of his 49 starts in only his second start.

I get that you don't like the guy, that's fine, but to drop him for someone who hasn't played well in games for 7 years would not be smart.

You know R&G, I don't know jjab360 from Adam, but I expect more from you.

I WAS THE ONE calling for AD to start LAST season over KC so they could see what they have. Imagine if they HAD what might have happened. But now, Fisher is making the same mistake. I've got nothing against him. Please don't put words in my mouth or make strawman arguments.

I think Fisher should have gotten a better look at Hill before naming a starter for the season. <------- That's my point. That's my entire point and nothing else.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Those things mean nothing to me. The NFL is littered with guys who looked like world beaters during PS, OTAs, TC, etc, and fell flat on their faces. The opposite is true as well.

Not sure where you got this. I asked what would qualify a Hill performance or two being better than what Davis has done. I qualified that by saying Hill would have to complete 80% of his passes, throw 8 TDs, and throw no picks, with a 9 YPA average.

I find this utterly flabbergasting. There's a reason he's been a backup QB for his entire 13 year career, only 9 of which have seen any real game action in anyway. Name me a QB that's ridden the bench that long, and become a starting QB in the NFL with any measure of extended success.

And 18 of his career TDs, BTW, came with Detroit. Not saying that's a negative against him or that he didn't show anything to get those stats, but

Megatron accounts for 8 of those TDs.
Isaac Bruce another 3 of those TDs playing with the Whiners.

I also have to question this, "Hill doesn't turn the ball over with poor mistakes like Davis." During the times he got either a good chunk of the game, or started, like in 2010, he threw a pick in 8 of the 11 games started, 4 games in which he threw 2 picks. 5/9 games with Whiners, threw a pick. 3 against The Rams.

Saying Davis is Warner/Favre is bad enough. Trying to say Hill is another more than a vet to learn from is even worse.

I get it already. You have no idea how Hill would play in THIS system, other than his impressing everyone up until he went down, and you're enamored with a two start QB so you want to dump on Hill and pretend AD is the next coming of Christ. Got it. (y)

RamzFanz

Damnit
Hey look all you haters who are making up false motives for me, I was almost a year ahead of you:

Is he just there for insurance waiting for an instant cut at the end of the season or will they look at him in an actual game?

Me, I'd give him a start if they have any hope that he could be decent.

I'm just wondering how he goes from apparent number 2 to worthless. Did they really misjudge him that badly?

The dude has talent. His collegiate career speaks for itself. How does he just go down the toilet like that?

The dude broke many of B. Favre's records and school records and game records and won bowl games. Yeah, it's just an indication of what he can do, but he sure wasn't under throwing receivers then so I'm just wondering what happened.

Fisher and Schottenheimer also thought DR could run up the middle and TA could make plays surrounded by a half dozen defenders closing at full speed so...

...and my very favorite:

I hope they start him or he comes in and tears it up just so we can return to this discussion. I remember another QB who was cut and no one ever heard of and ended up being one of the best to ever play the game. Hint: Mike Martz said he pay him $50 if he would learn to throw a spiral. Coaches aren't always right.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...ing-austin-davis-this-week.21752/#post-234037

jjab360

Legend
I'm not sure I agree with you on "looking horrible then ok for two games."

He looked pretty solid this preseason in my opinion. And I don't know how you can accurately judge him on previous preseasons when he played maybe 2 or 3 halfs. And also, young players show inconsistency. That's just how it is when you have guys with little experience.

I'm not saying this kid is the next Brett Farve or Kurt Warner, but I am saying it would have been dumb to go with Hill the rest of the season considering AD might have some upside and we have no idea what is going on with our QB situation.
This was definitely his best preseason so far, something seems to have clicked for the kid after working with Schotty and these receivers for 3 years. Way more time than Hill has had, btw.
Convincing the Eagles that AD was starting "would be the stupidest thing of all time and he would lose all credibility with Rams fans"?

I "obviously seem to have something against Davis"?

Grow up dude, you're being an :jerkoff:
The whole "I don't agree with it, and I'm going to bitch and moan about it over and over again, but I hope he does the impossible and surprises me" act has been done before, bud. If anyone's being a (insert inflammatory emoticon here), it's you.

goldenram

UDFA

AUSTIN DAVIS------------------6.2 Don't see the height problem, only with him??
Russell Wilson------------5.11
Drew Brees----------------6.0
Chase Daniel--------------6.0
Johnny Manziel-----------6.0
Michael Vick--------------6.0
Colt McCoy----------------6.1
Kellen Clemens-----------6.2
Mark Sanchez-------------6.2
Matt Flynn----------------6.2
Aaron Rodgers------------6.2
Tony Romo----------------6.2
Derrick Carr---------------6.2