Ex-Lions WR Young arrested twice in 15 hours

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Most of all I object to the "poor Titus" he's just misunderstood, been exploited ,no one ever cared to help him line of psychobabble.

The NFL even does a rookie symposium trying to get these guys going in the right direction.
I'll guarantee he's had more people than just one or two try to straighten his little dipshit head out.

NOT holding Titus responsible is IMO the biggest contributor.
No one HAS to show you HOW to be bad that's more BS,ALL that has to happen is for you not to learn NOT to be an azzhat, human nature is instinctively egocentric,AND whose fault it is if you don't learn is sometimes your own.

Like I said in the first place there are a LOT of other people who deserve a break more than he does, he's already had GIFTS bestowed on him few ever have, he's been given mega bucks to PLAY A GAME.
Nah I can find better places to vest my compassion, that's not "cold hearted" that's a recognition that even compassion is a finite resource that shouldn't be wasted, it should be allocated judiciously to deserving recipients not JERKS who take everything in sight for granted or as an entitlement.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
RamFan503 said:
Yeah - I have compassion for virtually anyone who demonstrates a level of compassion for others. Has this individual been surrounded by dysfunction his whole life? Maybe... probably. Has he had more chances to get out of that than the average Joe? Without question. Does anyone really think the Lions organization didn't try to help him? Does anyone think his college coaches and councilors didn't try to help him? Cry for help? Please.

So sorry guys. I am going to have to agree with Thor. This idiot deserves not one ounce of my sympathy or compassion. That bum on the street corner? Maybe so - as long as he isn't jumping in his SUV to drive home after a long day of pan handling between cashing his welfare checks. People deserve compassion. I'm right there with it. But sometimes, garbage needs to be thrown out. You can't help someone if they refuse to be helped. And there are plenty of deserving people that need our help and compassion. This dirt bag has already used up his allotment and then some.
:clap:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry guys, but WE don't know the full story do we, and I'm of the opinion that nobody should be judgmental unless they possess ALL the facts. Titus Young isn't the first sportsman to go off the rails - many do because of injury many because of dropped from the team etc...

We don't know but I've seen Young in interviews and he swings from being a humble to being extremely arrogant - and in my opinion it could almost be a bipolar disorder - now before you rip off my head I'm not excusing his actions, just looking at the facts I do know and making a calculated opinion, not just calling him an A-hole and forgetting about it.

It's widely acknowledged that running / sport can help with bipolar / mental illnesses which could be the reason that Titus wanted the ball all the time, wanted to be #1, it may not have been JUST youthful arrogance, but an actual physical and mental NEED to be the most active player on offence, it may have been a form of self-medication. Without that 'medication' the disorder runs riot, the person becomes irrational and mentally unable to control themselves...

And if you're talking about showing compassion to others, well someone with bipolar, at times, would find that difficult if not impossible, they go from a loving and caring person to a person who believes they are above others - every body remember Mel Gibson's meltdown or Britney Spears' head shaving incident?? I mean, his story reminds me of Robert Downey Jr, now his path seemed to go the same way...

All I'm saying is lets NOT cast stones yet...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Memento said:
Stranger said:
Contrary to all the propaganda, people are not born bad, they have to be shown how to be that way.

Have to disagree somewhat on that part. While I agree that the vast majority of people - and even the vast majority of criminals - aren't born evil, some people are born without a sense of empathy (psychopaths and sociopaths) and it's impossible for them to gain one. They just aren't able to show that awful side of them when they're very young. For example, read this story and the comments below it. I found them all to be quite intriguing:

http://perspectivesandprejudices.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/are-people-born-evil/
technically speaking, it is a psychopath who's born without empathy/ability to experience other people's emotions, and sociopaths are the ones who are criminals that can, but develop that way. It's not big deal, even most mental health professionals use those terms interchangeably. I'm not sure if Titus Young is either of those, but he does seem a bit narcissistic

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
brokeu91 said:
Memento said:
Stranger said:
Contrary to all the propaganda, people are not born bad, they have to be shown how to be that way.

Have to disagree somewhat on that part. While I agree that the vast majority of people - and even the vast majority of criminals - aren't born evil, some people are born without a sense of empathy (psychopaths and sociopaths) and it's impossible for them to gain one. They just aren't able to show that awful side of them when they're very young. For example, read this story and the comments below it. I found them all to be quite intriguing:

technically speaking, it is a psychopath who's born without empathy/ability to experience other people's emotions, and sociopaths are the ones who are criminals that can, but develop that way. It's not big deal, even most mental health professionals use those terms interchangeably. I'm not sure if Titus Young is either of those, but he does seem a bit narcissistic

Huh...I thought that the difference between psychopaths and sociopaths was the opposite (psychopaths can fake emotions and empathy, while sociopaths struggle with it. Also thought that they were both born without empathic traits), but you're the one who's training in a field that requires knowledge of both, so I'll defer to you on that. I truly believe that Young has some form of major mental illness, though; in my honest opinion, his actions and social behavior make it clear that he's gone far past the point of narcissism.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Memento said:
brokeu91 said:
Memento said:
Stranger said:

Huh...I thought that the difference between psychopaths and sociopaths was the opposite (psychopaths can fake emotions and empathy, while sociopaths struggle with it. Also thought that they were both born without empathic traits), but you're the one who's training in a field that requires knowledge of both, so I'll defer to you on that. I truly believe that Young has some form of major mental illness, though; in my honest opinion, his actions and social behavior make it clear that he's gone far past the point of narcissism.
That's very well possible, the problem is unless people do something truly heinous it's difficult to make that determination without meeting them. Some of the things he did...breaking into an impound lot to get his own vehicle is something a narcissist would do. He very well might be a sociopath too, but it's easy to fall into a trap of calling every criminal a sociopath, when it may not be the case.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
We need Iron Lion to come into this thread and give us some more "background" on Titus.

The "nature vs. nurture" argument won't be settled here, but IMO there are likely people who played football along side of Titus over the years who "took" the lessons coaches try to instill in athletes to heart and made things, productive things of their lives that Titus did not.

Unless he's a raving lunatic he faced choices he voluntarily made in dysfunctional directions at moments when others made the right ones,people who protected him from the consequences at those junctures of his life could be chastised for their inappropriate responses, THAT however does not relieve Titus from his responsibility to participate in his own development.

Every college football player is exposed to numerous outside influences, there are people who played for Boise State who completed degrees in three years ,kept their noses in the books ,avoided the pitfalls, that Titus decided not to model himself after those people is something he needs to own,or his life won't change.

IMO people who try to insulate him from the disdain that aught to be a clue it's time to own that behavior do more to perpetuate the life he's made for himself than those who condemn it. Moral relativism is no friend to a troubled person, it just provides them rationalizations and helps them wallow in self pity and the incorrect assumption that it's the world not them that needs to change.

MAYBE some one kept on keeping Titus from getting the tough love he needed ,kept pointing the fingers at the people who had the audacity to expect something better from him, calling them cold hearted for actually expecting him to conform to the most basic precepts of law and order and nurtured a monster.
I see Titus and think OJ Simpson on the fast track ,he's a young man ,time to man up or step aside.
If all that makes me "cold hearted" just call me the "ice man",I'm fine with it.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'll shut up on this topic now, but the below article, which includes interviews from people who personally know Young, shows the downward spiral of a man in despair, uncontrollable despair, also I'd like to point out that it looks like my call on being bipolar could be right if he's on Seroquel...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/05/14/2575318/titus-young-needs-help.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/05/1 ... -help.html</a>

Former Boise State star Titus Young needs help

Read more here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/05/14/2575318/titus-young-needs-help.html#storylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/05/1 ... rylink=cpy</a>
In happier times, like 2009 and 2010 when he was a standout contributor on Boise State football teams that went 26-1, Titus Young's mischievous smile was disarming.

In that wide grin, you could see Young's childlike joy and impish nature.

That smile is gone.

The image of Young is now of a grim face in mug shots, three of them in less than a week.

His once-promising football career looks done, the speedy wide receiver having been released by the Detroit Lions and St. Louis Rams.

Now the concern is about his life.

Titus Young needs help - and fast.

He needs someone, anyone to get through to him - and fast.

"Maybe by him getting arrested, it will wake him up to say I need help and try to get some professional help," said E.C. Robinson, Young's high school football coach in Los Angeles and a friend. "If not, he's going to hurt somebody or somebody's going to kill him."

Young, 23, nearly met that fate Friday night, when he allegedly broke into a San Clemente, Calif., home. Homeowner Bill Plattos told Los Angeles-area media that he was loading a gun and was prepared to shoot the intruder.

"I just yelled at him, 'You better get the hell out of my house,' " Plattos told KTLA.

"I'm sure glad that he left and I didn't have to find out what's going to happen if he came in because I'm afraid I would have shot him."

Young later fought with police officers, according to authorities. He has been charged with felony attempted burglary and assaulting a police officer and misdemeanor resisting arrest.

Young remained in jail Monday, with a $75,000 bail, awaiting arraignment that could happen Tuesday.

On May 5, Young was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and, later that day, for trying to take his impounded car from a tow yard.

"I look at my son right now, I don't see my son. That's not my son," Young's father, Richard, told the Detroit Free Press.

"... He shut down, he look(s) through you. It's like he's depressed."

[hil]Robinson said he saw Young more than a month ago and knew something was wrong.

"I knew from the day he was with me that unless he could get some help, he wasn't going to make it," said Robinson, the father of former Boise State safety Jason Robinson. "I do believe he's got a mental problem. Something is wrong with Titus."[/hil]

Something's been wrong with Young for a while now.

It was evident in Detroit, where Young - a second-round pick in 2011 who received a signing bonus of $1.8 million - sabotaged his own career.

He sucker-punched a teammate. He purposefully lined up in the wrong spot on the field. He alienated teammates and coaches. He took to Twitter to demand the ball, even at the expense of All-Pro wide receiver Calvin Johnson. When the Lions cut him, he lasted less than two weeks with the Rams and coach Jeff Fisher, who is known for taking chances on players with character issues.

Robinson noticed changes in Young, who stopped returning his calls and would simply text his old coach. Young would call after games and complain about not getting the ball enough. Robinson urged patience, explaining that Young was in a perfect spot playing opposite Johnson, who commanded double-teams on nearly every play.

At Christmas, Young - already suspended, but not yet cut by the Lions - showed up with sagging pants and his hat on backward. Both are no-nos in the Robinson house, a fact Robinson's wife reminded him. His coach urged Young to leave Los Angeles and focus on his football future somewhere else.

"He wasn't near as bad as he was when I saw him last month," Robinson said.

Following the most recent meeting, Robinson became really worried.

Now everyone is.

Robinson fears Young has been smoking synthetic marijuana. Both Robinson and Richard Young believe Titus Young may have concussion-related problems.

[hil]Richard Young said his son has been to outpatient facilities in Texas and California and was to enter another facility Monday. Richard Young told the Detroit newspaper that Titus Young has been prescribed a powerful antipsychotic drug - Seroquel - that is used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder but that he hasn't been taking it regularly.[/hil]
Former teammates from Boise State and Detroit have asked for prayers on Twitter, imploring people to reach out to Young.

"Really need to pray for Titus Young for real! Really is a good dude wish someone reach out to him before anything tragic. #heslost," wrote Chris Huston, a former Lions' teammate.

Even a potential victim is asking for someone to help Young.

"I'm just shocked that this young man has fallen so low," Plattos told the Orange County Register. "I hope he has some family who can help him."

In August after a Lions' preseason game, Young told me how much of an impact Boise State coach Chris Petersen had on him, even though Petersen suspended him for most of his sophomore year. He told me he thinks of Petersen and the lessons he imparted on most mornings.

Young told me how much he'd matured, and talked about a good situation in Detroit.

"I'm 23 now, as of Aug. 21. Hopefully with age comes wisdom. And learning from your mistakes is one of the big things that a human being can do is actually learn from what they go through," said Young, who has a young son. "... If my name was Old instead of Young, maybe I wouldn't be as immature."

Then he flashed that smile. A grin that makes even a skeptic smile back.

Maybe he didn't have it all figured out, but Young had enough - enough talent, enough charisma, enough good people around him, just enough good sense - to stay close enough to the right path.

He didn't.

Something is wrong with Titus Young.

And he needs help.

I hope he gets it.

I hope to see that smile once again.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
And so we SEE that there have been several people trying to help the guy, that he was not JUST an exploited athlete.

Titus has been an active participant in his own spiral, he may well be mentally ill that doesn't mean he has no culpability.

He's made choices,he's been given guidance, the light bulb has to WANT to change

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:
And so we SEE that there have been several people trying to help the guy, that he was not JUST an exploited athlete.

Titus has been an active participant in his own spiral, he may well be mentally ill that doesn't mean he has no culpability.

He's made choices,he's been given guidance, the light bulb has to WANT to change
So, those cold-hearted comments are now justified, eh?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Stranger said:
Thordaddy said:

So, those cold-hearted comments are now justified, eh?
NO , didn't say that, I said YOU were wrong he was only exploited.
He was given chances and FWIW had medication to control his urges ,not that some don't do so on their own, cognitive reprogramming can work on bi-polar people.
As I said the light bulb has to want to change, Titus doesn't seem to want to.

I have to wonder though what your agenda is in view of you conjuring my friendship with Rush Limbaugh, where did he become an issue here ? jUST ASKIN' :huh:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.netplaces.com/parenting-kids-with-bipolar-disorder/therapy/cognitive-behavior-therapy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.netplaces.com/parenting-kids ... herapy.htm</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Let's not let Titus be the catalyst for personalization in this thread.

Mind the rules please.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

Mind the rules please.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

How 'bout we just let Titus slip into this fair night. He's not a Ram and never will be a Ram. Really can't see anything good coming from this thread.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Mind the rules please.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

How 'bout we just let Titus slip into this fair night. He's not a Ram and never will be a Ram. Really can't see anything good coming from this thread.
Yeah agreed already wasted enough time on that guy.

iced

I don't think people are giving enough respect to how powerful the brain is.

You think schizophrenics choose to hear voices that aren't there? (chick dropped this on me first date..lets just say I never saw her again.)

People with bipolar don't CHOOSE to go ballistic - it's a roller coaster ride.

Clearly, there is something off with Titus. When he called his dad and said "something that doesn't feel right - i just don't feel like me anymore" - that should have been a red flag.

hope the kid gets health and treatment.

I guess I'm more sympathetic than most because I've been around so many situations that deal with somethin from the brain. From my own experiences with PTSD and mild traumatic brain injury, to those with my brother having aspgers/turrets (parents and doctors apparently differ in opinion)...

the brain is more powerful than its credit for....

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Stephen Tulloch: Titus Young 'wants to be cured'

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: May 18, 2013 at 09:49 a.m.
Updated: May 18, 2013 at 10:35 a.m.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204159/article/stephen-tulloch-titus-young-wants-to-be-cured" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... o-be-cured</a>

Before Titus Young was arrested three times in one week, the free-agent receiver told a former teammate about the mental issues plaguing him of late.

Detroit Lions linebacker Stephen Tulloch encountered Young on a recent Miami-to-Detroit flight and listened as the wideout explained his disorder, which Tulloch refused to disclose.

"He's aware of the situation that he's dealing with and he showed me a paper and we went over it and I looked over it, and I understand it," Tulloch told the Detroit Free Press. "A lot of people laugh about it and ke-ke-ke about it, but it's real. He has head issues, and the Titus Young when he came in as a rookie and the Titus Young now is two different people.

"It's kind of like when you look at him, he's looking through you. It's different. You can tell there's something going on in his mind, in his head, and I hope that he can get help."

Young was arrested last Saturday after allegedly breaking into a residence and scuffling with deputies in San Clemente, Calif. One week earlier, on May 5, Young was nabbed in Moreno Valley, Calif., on suspicion of DUI, but later released. He was arrested 15 hours later for jumping the fence of an impound lot in an attempt to reclaim his black Mustang.

At his Tuesday arraignment, bail was set at $25,000 -- down from $75,000 -- but the 23-year-old remains in custody at Orange County's Theo Lacy Facility in Santa Ana, Calif. Young's next court date is May 24.

"He has a problem," Tulloch said. "Ain't no question about it. We had some long discussions and he showed me some things and I was like, 'All right.' The fact that before he didn't realize it, now he realizes it.

"He just needs help. Basically he's reaching out for help. He's asking questions and he wants to be cured. And it's tough when people laugh at him and think it's a joke.
'Oh, Titus did this.' "

The Titus Young jokes are over. He obviously needs assistance and he appears to be in the early stages of seeking it. Whatever remains of his football career comes second.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Sorry , the guy destroyed his life with bath salts and synthetic weed, I'm not joining the pity party.
I take the Louis CK position on this,it's a shame, but maybe he's just a waste of time.

A very intelligent man once said "the world is full of talented derelicts",now 2 very intelligent men have said it :cool:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
I take the Louis CK position on this,it's a shame, but maybe he's just a waste of time.
Ha. I was watching that last night on HBO.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate,
violence multiplies violence in a descending spiral of destruction.
The chain reaction of evil must be broken, or we shall
be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.

~ Martin Luther King, Jr.