Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO, Hummel is not a joke, however, I believe that Jones and his agent like the Rams fear not having the contract because of the knee. IMHO, there might not be any takers and then Jones will have no alternative to play in his final year.

Obviously, many of us would love to know the numbers ... offered by the Rams ... requested by Jones' reps.

A good comparable would be the Browns' Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah who just signed an extension.

Owusu-Koramoah is a very good off-ball-LB, and made the Pro Bowl in 2023. Like Jones, he is 24 years old (both were born in November 1999). Like Jones, he was drafted in 2021 (mid-second, to Jones' late-third round). Both are slightly undersized, athletic players. Both have 33 career starts.

Owusu-Koramoah's extension was signed less than two weeks ago, and was for three-years and $37.5M (Average Annual Value of $12.5M), with $20M guaranteed.

Is Jones asking for that? ... A little more? ... A lot more? ... Are the Rams offering less? ... How much less?
I think the injury concern makes him less valuable than Karamoah. Plus Karamoah has excellent speed and range. I don’t think Jones should be in Owusu-Karamoah’s range.

The Rams supposedly only have 7 million in cap room. If he only wants and extension, then that’s one thing. If he wants a new deal that effects this year also and could ruin the Rams flexibility
This is great information for reference. Will be interesting what he's looking for to compare eventually.

This sucks though, I wouldn't care if this happened four months ago but this is horrible timing. I don't ever want to see Reeder starting for us again. Hummel I'm not exactly thrilled with as a starter but he did show good coverage skills. I think he'll get blown up in the run game though. Speights is the new flavor of the month and I did love everything I saw from him in the preseason. If worst case scenario happens and Jones leaves I'd deal with some growing pains and throw Speights out there.
It’s not optimal if he goes, but sitting out some of camp with more recent knee problems doesn’t help his leverage at all. I can understand the Rams drawing a line in the sand.
Queen got a 3-year 41 mil
Kormoah got a 3-year 37+ mil
If EJ wants that money or more with medical concerns allowing him to seek a trade and see what the interest is makes sense.
If he stays and plays poorly he will hurt his value for a deal next season.

In all fairness, if there were no existing injury worries EJ's value is pretty fairly estimated as more than Komorah and less than Queen in IMO
I’d put Karamoah ahead of Queen. Owusu-Karamoah has great range and a high football IQ. Reports on Queen was that the Ravens were not happy with his inability to lead the defense.

No, the Rams gave him permission to seek a trade.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Interesting to see he didn't request a trade. Might mean the Rams told him they were going to phase him out at some point and assumed he would want a trade.

Feel kinda bad for him but this is the NFL and he's a bit limited in some ways plus deserves to make what he can, while the Rams undoubtedly won't want to pay him whatever that is.

I wish him all the best, wherever he ends up.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Queen got a big deal, just happened to be the Steelers and not the Ravens who ponied up, and they received nothing in return. Jones has some trade value, not sure what exactly but something is better than nothing.
If we don't want to pay him big bucks, the best scenario for the Rams is he play out the year, sign a high value contract elsewhere in free agency, and we get a 3rd or 4th comp pick. I doubt what they get in trade now will match that.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Not necessarily Comp picks only come back if a team's net losses exceed its gains via free agency.

The Rams are unlikely to get any 2025 comp picks because they added more (quantity of players and contract values) in 2024 free agency than they lost.
We're talking about a 2026 comp pick here.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We're talking about a 2026 comp pick here.
Yes, as discussed above.

The point being that ... should the Rams lose Jones via free agency in 2025, they will not necessarily receive a comp pick in 2026 because the comp pick formula is based on net losses vs. net gains via free agency.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Yes, as discussed above.

The point being that ... should the Rams lose Jones via free agency in 2025, they will not necessarily receive a comp pick in 2026 because the comp pick formula is based on net losses vs. net gains via free agency.
Agreed. I just needed to read the thread further down.

Ideally, I'd rather he play out the year and get a possible 2026 comp pick then trade him for something like a 5th now.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
So the more I think about this...... IF there is an ILB we can get for cheap... to pair with Speights... I could see possibly moving Jones for a decent draft pick....

To me..the optimal option is to move forward with Jones and Speights as our ILBs... but this is a business

Also I'm wondering how much they like Elias Neal... he looked pretty good in the preseason as well... figured a practice squad spot was coming for him

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
So the more I think about this...... IF there is an ILB we can get for cheap... to pair with Speights... I could see possibly moving Jones for a decent draft pick....

To me..the optimal option is to move forward with Jones and Speights as our ILBs... but this is a business

Also I'm wondering how much they like Elias Neal... he looked pretty good in the preseason as well... figured a practice squad spot was coming for him
I like Elias Neal on the PS - he needs a redshirt year to build up his strength

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Amazing level of assumptions and overreactions in this thread :D
celebrate college basketball GIF by BIG EAST Conference

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
No

The 2025 comp picks will be based on what happened four and five months ago ... March and April of 2024.
It's already done. There will be a Formula and Analysis and the 2025 comp picks will be announced around early-April 2025. And the Rams will almost certainly Not get any for the 2025 Draft.

2026 Free Agency will begin in March of next year; and the players the Rams lose ... including Ernest Jones, provided he is not traded, plays with the Rams in 2024 and does not sign an extension ... will be part of the Formula and Analysis for 2026 compensatory picks.
ok thanks

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
Amazing level of assumptions and overreactions in this thread :D
Mods please change the title of this thread.
Apparently Jones has NOT asked for a trade.
The Rams are offering to let him find his market value.
Good faith offer if both sides differ on this.

BC