Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We got Tre'Davious White, Jonah Jackson, D-Will, and Curl because we're a playoff team and we paid them to be starters. Nothing more, nothing less. The world of sports is a business. Players understand that it's a business. Players accept it's a business.

That would be true if we were the only team interested - especially in White's case - but alas, that is not the case

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
They may have also taken less to trade him to the AFC. Like many here I liked Jones but he is not irreplaceable even the the team moves and games are still played no matter what. The biggest loss with Jones is his leadership.

I think the ILB might be more of a committee approach and the Rams will sub in guys based on down and distance. As the season progresses someone will emerge. Don't sleep on Jake Hummel, he is really good in coverage. Speights needs more seasoning but he will be sprinkled in. Like many here I'm not thrilled with the prospect of Reader strarting but he he is solid agaisnt he run and he helped the Rams get a ring. I think the defense is going to be pretty good agaisnt the pass if they can stay out or third and shorts. I'm more worried about the run defense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'll be very surprised if we re-sign either. Out of those three mentioned, I'd go for BB3, but when you already have Tyler Davis, Desjuan Johnson, and Cory Durden - as well as possibly David Olajiga in the future; I really think he could be something special - you let him go for the high comp pick. A-Jax isn't someone you break the bank over; you draft his replacement, and I think they're planning on using Warren McClendon in his place after this year because it strikes me as something they'd do.
They won't be paying Noteboom.. so keeping AJ would just be smart. Don't overpay, of course.. and, if, somehow.. there's a good LT available in FA, maybe you don't pay him and get that guy. But good LT's rarely hit the market. AJ proved to be, at worst, a league-average starter. Don't create need at critical spots.
All of the DL guys you mention are okay as rotational guys.. but none has show the impact-play ability BB has. It's easy to forget how young he is.. and how truly special his raw gifts are. The guy has a 9.82 RAS.. it's ridiculous. He started to grow last year and I expect even more from him this year. A truly mature and fully realized version of this kid would be an absolute difference maker on the DL. We'll see if he can get there.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I'd be fine with a fourth-round pick. Tennessee is going to be terrible this year; they're obviously the bottom in their weak division, and I simply don't trust their offense in the slightest.
I have always trusted your take on these things and a fourth to me indicates I was one that over-valued Jones.

In McSnead I trust.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
OK ... That would be great ... Sure Hope So ... BUT, that's a HUGE IF.

Heading into and throughout Training Camp, there were dozens of posts on this Forum suggesting that the Rams could use an up-grade and better depth at the ILB spot next to Jones. People wanted someone better than Roseboom and Reeder.

Earlier today, a poster suggested Speight could be another London Fletcher.
Again, OK ... That would be great ... Sure Hope So ... BUT, that's a HUGE jump.
And, even Fletcher barely played as a rookie.
But.. who would be best positioned to know just how close Speights is to Jones? Us? Or the Rams?
As McVay says... "That is a grown man..."

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nLst7Z2wCTY

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
They won't be paying Noteboom.. so keeping AJ would just be smart. Don't overpay, of course.. and, if, somehow.. there's a good LT available in FA, maybe you don't pay him and get that guy. But good LT's rarely hit the market. AJ proved to be, at worst, a league-average starter. Don't create need at critical spots.
All of the DL guys you mention are okay as rotational guys.. but none has show the impact-play ability BB has. It's easy to forget how young he is.. and how truly special his raw gifts are. The guy has a 9.82 RAS.. it's ridiculous. He started to grow last year and I expect even more from him this year. A truly mature and fully realized version of this kid would be an absolute difference maker on the DL. We'll see if he can get there.

A-Jax has missed at least two games every season since he came into the league. That's not reliable. I'd rather just spend on an offensive tackle with one of our two third round picks in this draft.

BB3 is an outstanding run-defender, and he's very young. He also gets gassed easily, and hasn't been the pass-rusher I expected him to be next to AD. To me, he's getting paid big money by some team because of his youth and potential, and we won't match.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think it's easy to overlook and forget that EJ was *never* a good player in coverage. He just isn't.
He's very solid between the tackles and a plus blitzer.

Speights has speed closer to Warner and could project to be a true sideline-to-sideline guy. Of course, this is speculation.. but the dude was EXCELLENT in preseason.. McVay gushed about him and he sat the third game. I'm sure there will be some growing pains.

Another factor could be that the Rams safety room looks considerably better this season.. and they feel that they could absorb some regression while Speights gets up to speed.

And speed is one of the keys here.. Speights is plain faster than EJ and that matters... ESPECIALLY against the 9ers!!!!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Also, anyone thinking Jones was top 10 at ILB is smoking something, please pass it along. I think we overvalued his leadership, blitzing ability and above average run defending ability.
I think you're right about the top 10 thing, FOR SURE.

Not said here... many may have overlooked just how mediocre-to-poor his was in pass coverage. He is really good in some areas.. but bad in coverage. Speights wasn't good in coverage in college.. but maybe there are some coaching points there. He's definitely faster.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
A-Jax has missed at least two games every season since he came into the league. That's not reliable. I'd rather just spend on an offensive tackle with one of our two third round picks in this draft.

BB3 is an outstanding run-defender, and he's very young. He also gets gassed easily, and hasn't been the pass-rusher I expected him to be next to AD. To me, he's getting paid big money by some team because of his youth and potential, and we won't match.
Given the odds a 3rd round pick is a hit, they have much less reliability than Jackson does. Remember Logan Bruss. We've hit some home runs in the draft lately, but it's still a crapshoot.

I'd hate to roll the dice on Stafford's blindside protector with a 3rd round pick. And that's not the McSnead MO at all.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Also, anyone thinking Jones was top 10 at ILB is smoking something, please pass it along. I think we overvalued his leadership, blitzing ability and above average run defending ability.
Watching Speights stand up that RB told me everything I needed to know about him. Literally stonewalled him.
It's been a LONG time since I saw an ILB in Horns do that. Our ILB corps needed a serious talent infusion, and that's not slighting EJ -- I think he'll do well in the TN system. Best of luck to him, and thanks for giving our ILB room a decent measure of respect.