Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DeaconJones

Rookie
I was thinking over the last couple of weeks that the Rams effectively had two vocal leaders on D - EJ53 and Jared Verse. I wondered if you could have two voices like that. Maybe this deal removes that potential problem (if it was a problem at all). I really liked Ernest, but that knee seems problematic. Best of luck to him.

As always, "Less" Snead trades away a good player for not much - seemingly less than market value?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Jourdan's article and her wording make me now think this was a Rams move due to all the factors we sighted: lack of agreement on contract, speights, rams devalue of ILB.

The knee was mentioned in a roundabout way in that it gave them a longer look at Speights than they might have had with reps.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Just pointing out that your argument of "there are not any other players worth re-signing" is a strawman argument.

The extra cap can be used in so many ways. Trades, FA, etc...

So relax. They know what they are doing... most of the time.

I should've been specific then: not any free agents on our team worth re-signing. I don't see any of our guys as worth re-signing. Maybe BB3, but I bet they'll let him go to a team that's willing to pay a lot more than we will

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Please don't be that way; I know damn well we're likely signing other free agents. I still believe in building through the draft - and that requires picks.

For the Troy Reeders and Christian Rozebooms of the world? I understand that Speights is likely starting, and he damn well should. My question is when, and the answer should be "Immediately over Reeder and Rozeboom," - although I wouldn't be shocked if Reeder and Rozeboom were the starters beginning Week One.

Sorry, I know I shouldn't sound so pissy. I just think we should've pressed our advantage while we had it.
I don’t think you’re being pissy at all.
We had a hole at ILB for years that was finally filled.

I have a hard time believing that Speights won’t be the starter.
Our defense is looking younger by the day.
I just hope it works out

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect it will be Speights behind this young DL. And we'll probably see a lot of Rozeboom and Hummel splitting time next to him in base.

As an aside I find myself wondering how much base we'll see. Because Hummel has better speed than many safeties and with Speights who covers more ground than Jones we may have a very active duo back there.

In hindsight entering this season with a new DC who coached offball backers it's not too big a surprise I suppose that he wants to rethink that ILB group. This is not to say that Reeder and Rozeboom don't factor in. But I seriously doubt any of this has to do with either of them. Speights is what I suspect changed the equation here.

What will suck is if Speights can't sustain what he's shown. But I suspect this defensive front is going to be very energetic.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
I'm surprised they didn't at least fetch a 4th for Jones. I get that the ILB position is of less importance in todays NFL but maybe that's why defenses suck in today's NFL. I dunno, just spit-balling here.

Makes me wonder how bad his knee issue is, if it's similar to TGIII's injury and the rams know his days are numbered... I guess we'll find out over the next season and how Jones performs for the Titans.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
It's close what I expected. No way was I thinking a 2nd or 3rd. This board tends to overvalue our players. It may be what you think of them, but it's not what anyone outside of Rams fandom is willing to pay. Snead chose a player friendly deal the same way he let Jalen go. Thanks for getting us there, where do you wanna play? The fact that they're finding gems in the draft saves this franchise from flipping over like a beached turtle.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like EJ. I really like his talent for blitzing.
I think he can be replaced at a very good level between the tackles.. and that his replacement will be better than him in coverage.
Boom is already better.He had a season saving INT last season.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I don’t think you’re being pissy at all.
We had a hole at ILB for years that was finally filled.

I have a hard time believing that Speights won’t be the starter.
Our defense is looking younger by the day.
I just hope it works out

I hope Speights and another young linebacker we get off of waivers (that kid from the Texans, Max Tooley is interesting; I'd love to get him, Dallin Holker, and Bailey Zappe) are our starters. I'm sorry, I don't like Troy Reeder. Yes, he tries hard, but that's literally about it. He's not even good at special teams anymore, and he's almost thirty.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I mean, I get it that this isn't Ray Lewis, but you don't think Jones is worth more than a mid round pick swap 2 drafts from now?
It doesn't matter what we think. It matters what the Rams think. Probably not that many takers. They think they will be better off without Jones. Or at least can compensate for the loss.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I expect it will be Speights behind this young DL. And we'll probably see a lot of Rozeboom and Hummel splitting time next to him in base.

As an aside I find myself wondering how much base we'll see. Because Hummel has better speed than many safeties and with Speights who covers more ground than Jones we may have a very active duo back there.

In hindsight entering this season with a new DC who coached offball backers it's not too big a surprise I suppose that he wants to rethink that ILB group. This is not to say that Reeder and Rozeboom don't factor in. But I seriously doubt any of this has to do with either of them. Speights is what I suspect changed the equation here.

What will suck is if Speights can't sustain what he's shown. But I suspect this defensive front is going to be very energetic.

It's why I'd like to remake our inside linebacker corps, fill it with younger players than Reeder and Rozeboom (the former is whom I'd suspect we'll see Week One. Just call it a gut feeling.), like Speights. Even Hummel, to me, is replaceable.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I hope Speights and another young linebacker we get off of waivers (that kid from the Texans, Max Tooley is interesting; I'd love to get him, Dallin Holker, and Bailey Zappe) are our starters. I'm sorry, I don't like Troy Reeder. Yes, he tries hard, but that's literally about it. He's not even good at special teams anymore, and he's almost thirty.
Are we willing to put Tooley on the 53?
It’s seems he would stay on team he was playing with all season if practice squad were his only option.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Are we willing to put Tooley on the 53?
It’s seems he would stay on team he was playing with all season if practice squad were his only option.

We're likely keeping four inside linebackers. I'm more willing to put Tooley on the roster than someone below-replacement level like Reeder.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I guarantee you we're not re-signing any of those players. A-Jax has probably used his last bit of good-will from the team, BB3 is replaced by Tyler Davis, and White is nearing thirty with multiple injuries.
100% agree with you on BB3 and White.

Jackson is a little more tricky because of his position. It's not super easy to find good LTs. If they let AJ walk, there is not likely to be one in free agency so they would be forced to draft one in the 1st round. Knowing Snead and how the Rams have operated for the last decade in that they don't like being forced to draft any position, they won't enter the '25 draft with a LT hole. This is especially true considering that they may have big needs in other high-priority positions. Namely, QB (Stafford's replacement) and CB.

Also, consider that the Rams tend to keep decent LTs around. Exhibit A: Noteboom.

Thus, my conclusion is if Jackson continues improving and balls out this year, it's likely they sign him to an extension. If he doesn't improve but merely performs at 2023 levels, I give it a 40% chance they bring him back on a palatable contract.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Also, anyone thinking Jones was top 10 at ILB is smoking something, please pass it along. I think we overvalued his leadership, blitzing ability and above average run defending ability.

Ram65

Legend
It's not the end of the season for the Rams.

Snead and Company know what they have. They also don't keep unhappy players around. They wouldn't resign him so it's time to move on.

Speights could be the man or not. The Rams play one LBer a lot too.