Ernest Jones Traded to Titans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hrm. If they felt Reeder was the answer then I have to think they would have made this move earlier this offseason.

You don't move a dude like Jones (who is a legit starter) unless you really like someone as his replacement.
I think/hope you are right, but I also remember that sometimes rookies have to wait a few games to reach the starting lineup, and any game that includes Reeder as a starter is a win that is put at risk. He is good as a bench guy who gives lots of advice to the dudes on the field, or as a substitutional guy, but if he plays the majority of snaps he is going to miss a lot of tackles (or get dragged an extra 4-5 yards every time).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ajax & Brown are both possible, imo.
We’ll see.

I'll be very surprised if we re-sign either. Out of those three mentioned, I'd go for BB3, but when you already have Tyler Davis, Desjuan Johnson, and Cory Durden - as well as possibly David Olajiga in the future; I really think he could be something special - you let him go for the high comp pick. A-Jax isn't someone you break the bank over; you draft his replacement, and I think they're planning on using Warren McClendon in his place after this year because it strikes me as something they'd do.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I guarantee you we're not re-signing any of those players. A-Jax has probably used his last bit of good-will from the team, BB3 is replaced by Tyler Davis, and White is nearing thirty with multiple injuries.
Umm.... we can sign guys from other teams. See Kam Kurl, Jonah Jackson, Colby Parkinson, etc...

MrOrange

UDFA
Unlike some here, I really didn't expect them to get much for Jones.

Merely a solid LB, on the last year of his contract, wants a new deal, and has a knee issue.

That just doesn't scream high return when a team could just go out and sign someone like vet Zach Cunningham off the street for nothing.
I mean, I get it that this isn't Ray Lewis, but you don't think Jones is worth more than a mid round pick swap 2 drafts from now?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jones' knee has been a problem since early last year and has not gotten better, missing rep s in practice continuing to this day. I'm guessing this was a major issue to the Rams involving the decision to trade him.

Damaged goods and no one sure how many snaps EJ can endure before he goes IR.

They made the call and I agree with them.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anybody know if we if we drop the whole $3.1 mil or if there is any dead money involved. Spotrac already has the trade processed, but I don't see any dead money anywhere.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
What if Speights is better than Jones?
OK ... That would be great ... Sure Hope So ... BUT, that's a HUGE IF.

Heading into and throughout Training Camp, there were dozens of posts on this Forum suggesting that the Rams could use an up-grade and better depth at the ILB spot next to Jones. People wanted someone better than Roseboom and Reeder.

Earlier today, a poster suggested Speight could be another London Fletcher.
Again, OK ... That would be great ... Sure Hope So ... BUT, that's a HUGE jump.
And, even Fletcher barely played as a rookie.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He was going to get paid at the end of the year anyway. He stays healthy, and he gets close to Queen money. Even if it's something like a three-year, nine million per-year deal, he's still likely pocketing a lot of money.

I wish McSnead had pressed their advantage. I get wanting to do right by players, but players usually only care about how much money they can maximize, not location, not playoffs, not anything of the sort.

Again, I wish they were a little more ruthless in this case. Pick swaps work when it's something like Skowronek; not when it's a linebacker who's been starting for three, and soon to be four, years.
The only other thing that I can think of, is they needed the roster space for up and comers.
The practice squad is a crap shoot.

If the Titans extend him now, it’s a win for EJ.
Good on the Rams for taking care of him.

I hope this doesn’t bite us in the ass, though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO Rosenboom has really improved & his playing speed is night & day from the beginning of 2023.

BTW- Jake is saying a savings of $3 million only,but if you think about who they might be able to pick up by now & the End of the year.
Jake is freaking out saying the WORST trade ever.

My question is about signing Todd Gurley or holding him out & or trading him ? I like the trade now than later.

JYB

Starter
Don't worry -- after the Rams are 2-3 by week 5 and are getting run all over, Les will send a 2025 2nd and 4th to Tennessee to get Jones back. :laugh1:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Anybody know if we if we drop the whole $3.1 mil or if there is any dead money involved. Spotrac already has the trade processed, but I don't see any dead money anywhere.
I believe his cap number was shown on OTC as 3.2M, 100K of dead money, total savings of 3.1M. Of course he gets replaced in the top 51. So assume Speights is essentially his replacement. He makes 800K. So net cap savings of 2.3M which can be carried over to next year.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I wonder if his knee is worse than they thought? And if that was a concern why wouldn’t they address LB in the draft?
I wonder if the rams thought he was milking the knee injury. Or just dogging it in practice. Sort of a slow hold out and just were not going to put up with it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It seems that if you are not a star player, the Rams don’t fuck around.

Coleman Shelton wanted more money and now he’s a second string center instead of starting for the Rams.

I kind of like it. The Rams have a plan and stick to it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Umm.... we can sign guys from other teams. See Kam Kurl, Jonah Jackson, Colby Parkinson, etc...

Please don't be that way; I know damn well we're likely signing other free agents. I still believe in building through the draft - and that requires picks.

The only other thing that I can think of, is they needed the roster space for up and comers.
The practice squad is a crap shoot.

If the Titans extend him now, it a win for EJ.
Good in the Rams for taking care of him.

For the Troy Reeders and Christian Rozebooms of the world? I understand that Speights is likely starting, and he damn well should. My question is when, and the answer should be "Immediately over Reeder and Rozeboom," - although I wouldn't be shocked if Reeder and Rozeboom were the starters beginning Week One.

Sorry, I know I shouldn't sound so pissy. I just think we should've pressed our advantage while we had it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I mean, I get it that this isn't Ray Lewis, but you don't think Jones is worth more than a mid round pick swap 2 drafts from now?
There may be a team out there who offered more and the Rams may have sent him to where he wanted to go, but honestly, I really don't.

IMO, Jones is the Michael Brockers of LBs. Great leader. Solid player, but not a true difference maker. And this was behind Aaron Donald.

Solid vs. the run in between the tackles, not so strong vs. the pass unless he's blitzing. And add a knee issue and his wanting a new contract to boot.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Unlike some here, I really didn't expect them to get much for Jones.

Merely a solid LB, on the last year of his contract, wants a new deal, and has a knee issue.

That just doesn't scream high return when a team could just go out and sign someone like vet Zach Cunningham off the street for nothing.
Agreed, what value would have been right for him for all the guys who don't like the trade terms. I can quibble about it being a 6th next year or a 5th next year with us sending a 6th back but that's about it. But only one year on his contract probably zero's that out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There may be a team out there who offered more and the Rams may have sent him to where he wanted to go, but honestly, I really don't.

IMO, Jones is the Michael Brockers of LBs. Great leader. Solid player, but not a true difference maker. And this was behind Aaron Donald.

Solid vs. the run in between the tackles, not so strong vs. the pass unless he's blitzing. And add a knee issue and his wanting a new contract to boot.
Hope you are right, I thought Jones was an excellent blitzer, but I guess we will see how it plays out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The other thing is The Rams look out for there players.Making sure they go to a team that would help them be successful.

Weather we like it or not that is the case at times.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Please don't be that way; I know damn well we're likely signing other free agents. I still believe in building through the draft - and that requires picks.
Just pointing out that your argument of "there are not any other players worth re-signing" is a strawman argument.

The extra cap can be used in so many ways. Trades, FA, etc...

So relax. They know what they are doing... most of the time.