Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Not the same "mistake!" Austin was extended by the Jeff Fisher regime---not Sean's regime. It is ridiculously unfair to include him here. Gurley and Cooks were released|traded due to injury.
Tell me who was the GM that extended Austin? Who was the GM who extended Goff?

There’s a pattern here but I can’t quite put my finger on it....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't you put words in my mouth Willis. Never questioned your fanhood let's not do that.
So saying people would stop rooting for the Rams if Goff was traded wasn't questioning fanhood? Spin your way out of that all you want you said it I'm not putting anything in your mouth.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT

Jeff Fischer had final say in personell decisions, invalid assessment friend :)

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With all due respect, this is a ridiculous question. Does Deshaun play on a playoff caliber team? Football is a team sport. No QB, no matter how talented can get there by himself. Jared got there in 2018 with a good OL, the NFL's best RB, and a defense led by the NFL's best player. Deshaun does not have anywhere near that level of support. However, place Deshaun and his present talent on that 2018 Super Bowl Horns team, and we may have won - even with an injured Gurley and no Cooper Kupp!!!
But doesn’t a great qb elevate the talent around him ?...watsons defense shit the bed for him ... much like our D against the pack ? ... you’re right it’s a team sport ... give goff a deep threat and improved play at center and we may get back there too

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love it when those that get offended by having your mind open to see multiple paths, not just one, and then they get called out for it, then they try to call out someone for thinking of anything else than the fallacy they are wanting to be true.

A case study we did months ago was the Sam Sloman experiment.

Funny how the band leaders of Sam Sloman is the GOAT kicker and couldn’t see anything but that ended up STFU stonewalled and absolutely wrong but we’re as brazen in the Sloman subject line as this. At least there’s a shit load of smoke in Goff/Watson and people still refusing to say there’s potential for any fire creating it.
My God we've gone from supporting somebody as long as they're on the roster and hoping for the best to this? Good lord this is sad. You're the only person I've ever seen use the phrase goat when attached to that player so congratulations I guess are in order.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nobody, including myself, is talking about you Memento.

Have no idea where the outrage comes from but you are pretty sound and open to new ideas and changes happening, unlike others.
You actually are. Memento was one of the many posters who were hoping he would figure it out and turn it around. You've spun that for some reason into what you're going on about now.

jap

Legend
Fixed it for yah :)

Didn't need it fixed. I just wanted to emphasize Deshaun's enormous potential over Jared even at the best time in Jared's NFL career. I am a Jared fan, but Deshaun can be a transcendent upgrade for the Horns.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@UKram
Ok ok ok, let me explain. I love Goff. He is a symbol that represents a turning point in the fortune of the franchise to which I am forever bound in unholy matrimony. My most fervent hope is that the Rams retain him AND he rites the ship.

However, Deshaun Watson is head and shoulders above Goff, especially when you consider the quality of teams that Watson has been on.

Let me show you:

YDS: 17082. 14539. 14152
TDS: 102. 104. 114
INTS: 48. 36. 24
Rating: 94.53. 104.5. 108.7

Can you guess which numbers belong to which QB?

The 1st 3 are from the last 4 years.

1st set are Goffs. Not too bad, right? Until you consider the fact that the next set is Watsons, which includes his rookie year in which he didnt start every game. I helped Goff out by removing his rookie season! The third set is Mahomes, also including his rookie season. It is good to note that the vast majority of those stats came from mahomes' last 3 seasons because he only had 248 passing yards and 1 pick with no tds as a rookie. The last set is goffs 1st 4 years in the league, just to compare quantitative data equally across the board. While I admit that Goff gets a pass due to Fisher, does Watson's last 4 years get the same sort of pass considering the quality of offensive minds he has worked with compared to McVay? I think the tale is in the tape.

The answer is that it is a team sport. Thats why, dude.

Oooo stats whoopee ... let me throw some stats at ya
4-12
9-7
Guess whose stat is whose (I won’t do the whole 40 something and 0 when leading at half time )

I’m not doubting that Watson is a great player never said he wasn’t ....all I’m saying is I’m a better the devil you know kinda guy ..

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
We had the option to wait. There was no need to extend Goff right then. Only reason was you thought he was so good that extending him then would save some money later. Whether that was a Snead or McVay (likely both) decision - it was a mistake apparently now due to what they feel about him now. Nobody forced them to extend Goff back in 2019.

same mistake they made several other times too I might add - gurley, Austin, cooks
Well, Goff was trending up so at the time it was the right decision. I don't really fault them for it.

jap

Legend

No, you clearly can't. Les extended Austin on Fisher's say-so. Fisher ran football operations---not Les! Les extended Jared, probably with Sean's backing - again probably because they expected|hoped Jared to continue improving even with the pay increase just like Aaron and Jalen did.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Oooo stats whoopee ... let me throw some stats at ya
4-12
9-7
Guess whose stat is whose (I won’t do the whole 40 something and 0 when leading at half time )

I’m not doubting that Watson is a great player never said he wasn’t ....all I’m saying is I’m a better the devil you know kinda guy ..
Those are team stats. That is why when you look up a players official stats, wins/losses and arbitrary situational stats are not listed. BTW, that whole 40-0 when leading at halftime is NOT a Goff stat...it's a McVay stat. As far back as week 11 of 2016, Goff and the Rams led 7-0 against Miami at halftime and ended up losing the game.

jap

Legend
But doesn’t a great qb elevate the talent around him ?...watsons defense shit the bed for him ... much like our D against the pack ? ... you’re right it’s a team sport ... give goff a deep threat and improved play at center and we may get back there too

The point is that Jared requires more! support than Deshaun does to be a winner, all other things being equal.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
No, you clearly can't. Les extended Austin on Fisher's say-so. Fisher ran football operations---not Les! Les extended Jared, probably with Sean's backing - again probably because they expected|hoped Jared to continue improving even with the pay increase just like Aaron and Jalen did.
AD and Ramsey deals were way different. ADs deal was coming up and he was holding out. Think he might even missed that first game and was on limited snaps the 2nd game from it. Ramsey wanted to get paid and that was the issue with the trade. We knew that going in and had to extend him.

no such issues with the other deals. You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.

FWIW: even if les had absolutely zero input in Austin deal (doubtful imo), he apparently learn some bad habits from it.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I believe the context is that the Rams—under McVay—are about 10 orders of magnitude better an organization than the Texans.

Yes, elite players can elevate the play of those around them. Case in point: Aaron Donald.

I have a question though, what if the Rams d-line consisted of a bunch of college sophomores? Even if AD elevated their play, would anyone even notice?

Listen man. You don't have to bang the table for Goff with me. I LOVE GOFF. I am admittedly emotionally attached to him as the Rams QBI hope that he turns it around. Whether for us or someone else I don't care.

However, when I recognize that I am emotional about a subject I then attempt to take a step back and observe the situation objectively in order to ascertain whether or not my emotions may lead me to making a poor decision.

In this case, Watson is clearly head and shoulders above Goff, and is second in talent to only, possibly, Mahomes and Rodgers.

I just want people to see that. That's all.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
AD and Ramsey deals were way different. ADs deal was coming up and he was holding out. Think he might even missed that first game and was on limited snaps the 2nd game from it. Ramsey wanted to get paid and that was the issue with the trade. We knew that going in and had to extend him.

no such issues with the other deals. You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.

FWIW: even if les had absolutely zero input in Austin deal (doubtful imo), he apparently learn some bad habits from it.
I see your points, and will raise you an equally valid point: group-think.
What if Fisher, being Fischer, caused Sneads decision making to be clouded. Group think is a very real thing man. Good to great mind + craptastic mind=below average group think. Especially when that craptastic mind is the boss.

Is it not odd to you how different the organization became as SOON as McVay took over? Good to great mind + exceptional mind=exceptional group-think because now there is no filter in the way for their thinking to elevate and challenge one another.

Case in point: Rams fans tend to give Fisher credit for eying defensive talent such as AD and Brokers. If it was all Fischer, why do the Rams still have an eye for D talent?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So saying people would stop rooting for the Rams if Goff was traded wasn't questioning fanhood? Spin your way out of that all you want you said it I'm not putting anything in your mouth.
I did not specify said people. There are always some who go that route.

jap

Legend

They are not! way different. The crucial point is after Aaron & Jalen got paid, they both stepped up their game. After Jared got paid, his game started going south. The "Peyton Manning feet" that Romo used to allude to that allowed Jared to throw on balance so often were not nearly as evident the last two seasons. His pocket awareness of onrushing defenders, while never great, got even worse. Granted, the OL injuries woes of 2019 contributed heavily to that. However, even in 2020 when the OL improved, Jared was still much less than primetime Jared.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dont know for sure, nobody does. Since no-trades are rarely exercised in NFL, can only compare to how MLB handles it. And again, I think its pretty safe to say that a Miami isnt going to be on record for giving up on Tua if there is a chance Watson will decline the trade. The Rams will have to trade Goff in order to make this work, and the places he could theoretically get traded to will be filling those openings. If this drags on, and the Rams then cant trade Goff, they wont be able to make it happen. Then nobody wins

Bleacher Report put out a tweet that the Rams are in exploratory talks with multiple teams.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2928967-jared-goff-trade-rumors-rams-open-exploratory-talks-with-multiple-teams

I think I'm realizing that the Stafford stuff might be real, but only as a contingency for not being able to get Watson.

I also think there may be a MEGA trade brewing that would include Watson and Watt, but we'd be sending a bunch of picks and players (we can mitigate Watt's salary with an extension of a year or two).

Taking Watt off their hands (Houston is open to trading him now) would really help their cap situation and may facilitate the trade...

I dunno.

It's the silly season on a kilo of coke on a 4 day bender right now...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Everyone is creaming themselves about the no trade clause watson has .... no I don’t know the wording of said clause ... but it seems he has officially asked to be traded .(now it’s Houston and they aren’t the brightest bunch) .. but I’d like to think the org might be smart enough to have some exemptions in that contract like if you ask us to trade you .. then we get some say in where you go

It's hard contract language.

The Texans can propose any trade with any team they like.

Watson has the right under the contract to veto the trade for any reason or no reason at all.

There are no stipulations...not with the no trade clause, anyway.

As a matter of fact, Watson has to waive the no trade clause for him to be traded. And you can rest assured, in his waiver, it will specifically limit the waiver to the deal the approves and nothing else. It's not a blanket waiver where the team could then just "ha, you waived it. Now you're a Dolphin!"

Doesn't work like that.