DeSean Jackson’s contract with Rams - $2.75 million plus incentives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm still surprised we haven't heard of his contract yet.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don’t think Jackson’s injuries have had anything to do with bad luck. Skip and Shannon covered it well. He is not a “workout warrior”, he runs fast. Those two things combined are a recipe for injuries.

Missing an average of 6 games a year for the last 6 years isn’t bad luck either. It’s the way he doesn’t take care of himself while playing in the NFL.

I hope he has an epiphany, figures out he has a great opportunity and decides to put in the time to get and keep himself in better shape.

I can’t believe any “professional athlete” needs to be convinced they need to do that. But, I guess if teams keep throwing millions at you, why change??

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t think Jackson’s injuries have had anything to do with bad luck. Skip and Shannon covered it well. He is not a “workout warrior”, he runs fast. Those two things combined are a recipe for injuries.

Missing an average of 6 games a year for the last 6 years isn’t bad luck either. It’s the way he doesn’t take care of himself while playing in the NFL.

I hope he has an epiphany, figures out he has a great opportunity and decides to put in the time to get and keep himself in better shape.

I can’t believe any “professional athlete” needs to be convinced they need to do that. But, I guess if teams keep throwing millions at you, why change??
Eagles fans have described him as somebody that does his own thing and doesn’t listen to training and medical staff.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

If that is really the case that he's not taking care of himself, he's most likely not changing. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Not smart of him if true as he could have cost himself even more money for it. I'm more of the idea that injuries are definitely based on luck because players that do take care of themselves still get hurt too.

btfd16

Rookie

Reminds me of the kids in high school/college who were just naturally more athletic than everyone else then get bodied in college/NFL. They eventually disappeared or quit. Except this particular kid happened to better than everyone else at pretty much every level so never changed.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Reminds me of the kids in high school/college who were just naturally more athletic than everyone else then get bodied in college/NFL. They eventually disappeared or quit. Except this particular kid happened to better than everyone else at pretty much every level so never changed.
Yeah I actually knew a guy like that when I ran track and field. He was one of the most naturally gifted sprinters I'd ever met. He half assed it and won a lot until a guy he beat earlier in the year whooped his ass badly at the State Championships. Never heard from him again.

Ram65

Legend
DJax gives us 2 things. The occasional home run and the threat of the home run.

If he can play in 12 games, average 2 catches/40 yards a game and score 4 tds he will be well worth the $1.5m the Rams likely paid him. Plus who wouldn’t want to see a couple 60 yard bombs to spark the offense.

I'll add a third thing to a good post.

Over the years watching him in the living in the Philly area his deep speed opens up some easy sideline down and out patterns. If he is on the field with Woods and Kupp they would be able to double all of them. If he is singled up he will get a nice cushion for easy yards. He also can take a smoke screen pass or run for big gains.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
In January I mention to an Eagles fan that Jackson would be a nice fit for the Rams to get as a speed guy. So yes I like the deal. Well worth a shot. Give some nice workout clauses and performance bonuses. McVay has worked with him so that helps. He adds some swag to the team that could use a little more. Some risk there but, worth it.

I don't how much they play him. I guess 10-20 plays a game depending on his health. Could save him more when they make the playoffs. He really adds another dimension to the offense. Should be very exciting.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Eagles fans have described him as somebody that does his own thing and doesn’t listen to training and medical staff.
Well hopefully be realizes that this is it for him and he puts the time in and or the staff makes him.

I think in Philly there was not a lot of discipline. Pederson trusted the players and trusted players & the culture to ensure players all bought in. So no doubt that was not a good solution for Jackson.

Here you hope his respect for McVay sbd the realization thst this is his last chance to ein a SB is a factor in his work ethic to prevent injuries.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well hopefully be realizes that this is it for him and he puts the time in and or the staff makes him.

I think in Philly there was not a lot of discipline. Pederson trusted the players and trusted players & the culture to ensure players all bought in. So no doubt that was not a good solution for Jackson.

Here you hope his respect for McVay sbd the realization thst this is his last chance to ein a SB is a factor in his work ethic to prevent injuries.
You can hope that, but this guys proven through his entire career he thinks he knows better than anybody else.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
You can hope that, but this guys proven through his entire career he thinks he knows better than anybody else.
Thankfully we're only signing him as a 3rd wr and complimentary piece.
DJ is no longer "The guy".

If we were counting on him to be our #1, then that wouldn't sit well.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

McVay coached him for three years. You may be right about Jackson, but McVay knows what he's getting and he's ok with it.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I don’t believe McVay will let Jackson get away with not working out the way he’s instructed, otherwise he’ll probably be released.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I dont know about all that. He's a showboat, that's for sure, but he's pretty much known for having some pretty sick workouts. In fact, part of his injury issues in his recent Philly stint were attributed to that. He's only played 8 games in 2 years, that aint good no doubt. But that's why he's affordable.... And IIRC, he tore an ab muscle in 2019, aggravated the injury by rushing back too quickly. Last year he got hurt when he volunteered to return a punt, which he hadnt done in years, and the Giants cheap shot him, breaking his ankle.
I get why people dont like him, he's flashy, a showboat and has some off field issues. But work ethic? I have a hard time thinking McVay would tolerate that

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I dont know about all that. He's a showboat, that's for sure, but he's pretty much known for having some pretty sick workouts. In fact, part of his injury issues in his recent Philly stint were attributed to that. He's only played 8 games in 2 years, that aint good no doubt. But that's why he's affordable.... And IIRC, he tore an ab muscle in 2019, aggravated the injury by rushing back too quickly. Last year he got hurt when he volunteered to return a punt, which he hadnt done in years, and the Giants cheap shot him, breaking his ankle.
I get why people dont like him, he's flashy, a showboat and has some off field issues. But work ethic? I have a hard time thinking McVay would tolerate that
I don't mind a little pizzazz on the field. I get it, it's a team game, "we not me", etc. but these young men have the right celebrate EVERY TD they make. Life in the NFL is way too short not to.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well if he doesn't no harm done...worth the small gamble. Couldn't afford other proven deep threats and will still draft one. He is a lottery ticket that could hit big.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if he doesn't no harm done...worth the small gamble. Couldn't afford other proven deep threats and will still draft one. He is a lottery ticket that could hit big.
Small gamble? Has what we signed him for been released or is this just an assumption?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Small gamble? Has what we signed him for been released or is this just an assumption?
Reality... He had few options abd we have little cap space to spend on that role.... And is only for one yr. So no longterm impact.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Put it this way, Cooper Kupp is a much bigger gamble than DeSean Jackson. That is just reality considering his contract and injury history. The last two times this team reached the post season he wasn't available.