DeSean Jackson’s contract with Rams - $2.75 million plus incentives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
There's usually one receiver that gets hurt each year, so Jackson could be in more 11 personnel packages than you may originally expect...

...or Jackson could be the one receiver that's hurt :p

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
No way am I worried about Kupp. He's an upper echelon slot WR in this league right now. He's recovered nicely from his injury in our SB year. He was simply unlucky with his injuries and is much younger too.
Was called sarcasm

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Low risk (I’m assuming the $ are reasonable).

Potentially fills a need.

Can still draft a developmental speed WR in mid/late rounds.

Works for me.
Has to be reasonable because the Eagles are still paying him $6M from what they said on local radio. Kind of like the Bortles deal. Assuming that is correct.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You forgot the blue dude lol.....it's all good, I missed that part obviously
Well maybe not all sarcasm. Point was if someone wants to call the DJax deal risky, then Kupp's deal is a hell of lot more risky based on the price tag.

I just don't understand all the hand wringing over this move. A low risk high reward move that could fill a big hole for one yr on a team that is going for it this yr.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Well maybe not all sarcasm. Point was if someone wants to call the DJax deal risky, then Kupp's deal is a hell of lot more risky based on the price tag.

I just don't understand all the hand wringing over this move. A low risk high reward move that could fill a big hole for one yr on a team that is going for it this yr.
Very good point about Kupp. As for DJax the Rams probably gave him a hometown deal for he might call it quits after this season anyways.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah Mark Eaton. Of course.
iu

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See this is where it gets funny around here. Literally nobody knows the details about the contract which means you can't call it a low risk because you don't know the financials at stake. And pretty much everybody has said they're waiting for the numbers to pass their judgement.

Also with his injury history it's very hard to assume he'll fill any role on the team but people hope for the first time in forever he will stay healthy. And it's not just games missed it's actual snaps taken. He'll be active for gamedays but run one route complain he's hurt and miss large chunks of the game so it's not just games played but it's snaps taken.

DJax was a very good deep threat at WR nobody can deny that. But it's hard to say he's been that for several years with his injury history and lack of playing time when he was actually active.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Lol at anyone freaking out over signing a 34 year old player on a 1 yr deal who at best is probably our 4th WR. I highly doubt Snead and McVay mortgaged our future over a depth signing that may or may not make the team, much ado about nothing folks...

If he can help awesome, if not...hope dude enjoys retirement...

PARAM

Hall of Fame
He's probably only going to get a bit above the vet minimum with performance escalators. He's going to be asked to perform the cagy vet role. We won't overwork him so he'll remain fresh and we'll ask him to catch some deep passes. This could be an excellent signing.

See this is where it gets funny around here. Literally nobody knows the details about the contract which means you can't call it a low risk because you don't know the financials at stake. And pretty much everybody has said they're waiting for the numbers to pass their judgement.

Also with his injury history it's very hard to assume he'll fill any role on the team but people hope for the first time in forever he will stay healthy. And it's not just games missed it's actual snaps taken. He'll be active for gamedays but run one route complain he's hurt and miss large chunks of the game so it's not just games played but it's snaps taken.

DJax was a very good deep threat at WR nobody can deny that. But it's hard to say he's been that for several years with his injury history and lack of playing time when he was actually active.

In Philly they needed him to be the old DJ and that just wasn't going to float. They had nobody else and so he was injured. If the Rams are smart (and I worry about McVay getting in a zone and forgetting) they will use him sparingly. As a decoy. As the third option. And as the primary option about every 5 routes he runs. So he should play 12-15 snaps per game and see 2 or 3 passes a game. If the guy catches 32 balls at 15-20 yards per catch, he'll play an important role. What's that worth?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Dude got total cheap shot by the Giants last year, stupid of Eagles to have put him in that spot. Alas....
McVay's worked with him before, I'd imagine has spoken with him during the off season, so if he's good with this move, we should be pumped

This is actually the key to the deal imo. McVay worked with Jackson for three years in Washington, two of them 1000+ yard efforts. McVay totally knows Jackson and how to scheme him open. Imo this will help Stafford and the other receivers immensely.

Consider the post above from Legatron showing that Jackson commanded coverage by Ramsay in the 2020 Rams-Eagles game and was likely open even when Wentz didn't throw him the ball. (Can't believe Stafford will repeat that error, he seems to really look for guys downfield.) So Jackson as of last year was still forcing the defense to account for him with its best cb.

And while injuries are unpredictable, as several have noted (including me when the idea of the signing first came up) Jackson was healthy and looking fast at the end of 2020--- which is three months ago. He is not recovering, he's good to go right now.

In sum, this is NOT a shot in the dark. McVay would never have signed Jackson if he didn't think Jackson could still get it done.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

I get both sides of the argument, but I find people are simply sharing their opinions. On one hand, its not like he was in such high demand that he was swooped up quickly. Other teams were obviously weary on his age and injury history. On the other hand, it's possible he could have just had bad luck with his injuries recently and that this year his luck will turn and he'll be mostly or completely injury free. Nothing anyone says will change that he is now a Ram. I will support him and hope for the best outcome regardless. Every signing IMHO comes with varying degrees of risk. Its possible the Rams could have signed another deep threat for more money that would have been better or not, but it would have likely come with more financial risk. D Jackson is definitely a low risk financial wise, but if another FA WR has a much better year than him that was close to his price range, than hindsight says it probably would have been better to have paid a bit more for that WR. If he has a great year, the Rams are geniuses. None of us can predict any of this. Its ok in my eyes for some to love, some to hate, and some to take a wait and see approach on it. I hope his availability is there this year because that will be the determining factor of his deep threat ability paying off big time or not cuz he is most dangerous when he's playing lol

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I think McVay is less concerned with the grouping than he is ensuring he's got the best guys on the field. All that 11 he ran when we had Cooks was due to Cooks being a much better matchup than Everett. That drove the 11 percentages being so high. If Everett was a better matchup they would have run a ton of 12. I mean Kupp/Woody and Higs are givens on most snaps so it really is more of a talent comp than it is a schematic grouping thing in terms of prioritizing who is out there.

Last year it was choose which underwhelming option of Reynolds vs Everett vs a rookie in Jefferson. Which is part of the reason our offense struggled (one of several obvious reasons).

This year things look a little better. We haven't even hit the draft and we're already talking Jackson vs second year Jefferson vs Hopkins, a group that is long on potential but could well be significantly improved if Jefferson & Hopkins or even one of those two makes a good year two move with a strong camp. And the draft may bring either a WR or a TE. We know TE impact is gonna take a while but point is the talent level may be considerably better depending on how this draft goes down.

To answer your question re: 4 WR sets I would say No. Because that requires taking Higs or Akers off the field. Barring a situation where we draft a total STUD wideout that is going to be unlikely because Higs adds more to the offense in almost every situation than the rest of those guys.

I'm looking forward to Everett and Reynolds no longer being options in the passing game. No WR makes every play but to me those guys could not be relied upon to make plays when it counted. And that was a problem.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Lol at anyone freaking out over signing a 34 year old player on a 1 yr deal who at best is probably our 4th WR. I highly doubt Snead and McVay mortgaged our future over a depth signing that may or may not make the team, much ado about nothing folks...

If he can help awesome, if not...hope dude enjoys retirement...

I can pretty much guarantee we didn't mortgage the future to sign Jackson since we already mortgaged the future, probably several times over in fact.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I can pretty much guarantee we didn't mortgage the future to sign Jackson since we already mortgaged the future, probably several times over in fact.
Yeah that Goff/Gurley dead money is by far the most worrisome thing that the Rams have done financially. Can't wait til we clear that dead money. Prevented us from probably keeping players or upgrading certain positions in FA.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Yeah that Goff/Gurley dead money is by far the most worrisome thing that the Rams have done financially. Can't wait til we clear that dead money. Prevented us from probably keeping players or upgrading certain positions in FA.

The cap situation will apparently improve a lot next year, but as of now it's the big reason we can't sign a couple more impact players. This also lends itself to one year deals this year such as Jackson.