DeSean Jackson’s contract with Rams - $2.75 million plus incentives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which will based on recent history last about 30 snaps. The guy played 160 snaps in a full NFL season last year. We all know he has caught long touchdowns. He unfortunately prefers the trainers table and the tub to the playing field.
So, you're saying he's well rested?? Great news for us!!
#glasshalffull

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
This won’t take away from Van Jefferson’s development. Can is going to be brought along slowly and is the eventual successor to Woods IMO. What bringing DJax in does is bring in a vet who knows what it takes to get open deep. When healthy he can do that, and if he’s not in the game, he can help groom a younger player who is either in the team, or a speedy draft pick (eskridge)

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Low risk (I’m assuming the $ are reasonable).

Potentially fills a need.

Can still draft a developmental speed WR in mid/late rounds.

Works for me.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Low risk (I’m assuming the $ are reasonable).

Potentially fills a need.

Can still draft a developmental speed WR in mid/late rounds.

Works for me.
Yep. This type of move is what you get when you load up your roster with the paid types, it's a pre-draft addition to improve that room's talent level so that if things don't align in the draft for that position you're still good. If Jefferson makes big strides year two and Woody & Kupp stay healthy I don't think Jackson will factor in too much into the offense. But if those things don't happen then they have a fallback with a vet who still has some wheels.

I'm very much with OS on this signing, where I don't have high hopes or anything. I think he's a shitty dude and guys like him generally aren't going to change too much. I think his career is on fumes. But you never know maybe on this roster he sees the value in being a pro and that allows him to finish strong.

If things in the draft favor WR and the Rams hit on the pick then Jackson could find himself squeezed out anyway. And IMO even if they don't draft the position Jackson is going to have to work his ass off AND be a good teammate or he'll be cut.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Ok, a few posters here are getting excited and its a little contagious. Before I drink the kool aid, can I know the cost?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I don’t know that many posters were pushing for either Ross or Jackson as much as they realized a deep speed option could be a real asset, while accepting that the Rams cap limitations and minimal premium draft choices resulted in just a few realistic options.

Other than Ross and Jackson, who were realistic options?
Marvin Hall

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A question for the brethren.

Do you guys foresee a lot of 4 WR sets from McVay?

Or maybe just a few with Jefferson coming out when DJ goes in?

Wonder what Stafford would prefer? Might prefer his TE target over a 4th WR?

Would it be a tell when DJ subs for Jefferson?

What do y’all think?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What do y’all think?
I think McVay is going to treat the WRs like Staley did the DL, lots of rotation to keep them fresh.

Psycho_X

Legend

What do y’all think?

I'd say it'll depend completely on the personnel McVay trusts the most. If Brycen Hopkins makes a jump into playing time or if we add a good receiving TE at some point it'll change a few things. And of course, how our o-line is performing will say a lot too. In other words, I don't think McVay will even know until week 1 prep. Way too many variables still to happen.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

What do y’all think?
I think McVay is less concerned with the grouping than he is ensuring he's got the best guys on the field. All that 11 he ran when we had Cooks was due to Cooks being a much better matchup than Everett. That drove the 11 percentages being so high. If Everett was a better matchup they would have run a ton of 12. I mean Kupp/Woody and Higs are givens on most snaps so it really is more of a talent comp than it is a schematic grouping thing in terms of prioritizing who is out there.

Last year it was choose which underwhelming option of Reynolds vs Everett vs a rookie in Jefferson. Which is part of the reason our offense struggled (one of several obvious reasons).

This year things look a little better. We haven't even hit the draft and we're already talking Jackson vs second year Jefferson vs Hopkins, a group that is long on potential but could well be significantly improved if Jefferson & Hopkins or even one of those two makes a good year two move with a strong camp. And the draft may bring either a WR or a TE. We know TE impact is gonna take a while but point is the talent level may be considerably better depending on how this draft goes down.

To answer your question re: 4 WR sets I would say No. Because that requires taking Higs or Akers off the field. Barring a situation where we draft a total STUD wideout that is going to be unlikely because Higs adds more to the offense in almost every situation than the rest of those guys.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Have we seen the contract yet?
We do know that the bottom line $$$ contract will be somewhere approx $1.1 million for a player with over a decade of years.

I do not see the Rams getting their $$$ worth even if his contract was that low.

I see this contract as a one-year deal for Jackson to play on the Injured Reserve......he has done exceptionally well playing this position for the last two seasons. It's obvious he likes it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

10-personnel sets would be a sight to behold if executed effectively. Could see DJax fitting that bill since I can see him making a great #4 WR