DeSean Jackson’s contract with Rams - $2.75 million plus incentives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
A signing like this doesn't without its due diligence that we will never be aware of.

The name itself seems promising. Can't help but think McVay has a plan to use him as a VERY successful scheme specific player. No doubt the dude has the speed. Spreading out the field with Woods, Jefferson and Kupp can prove to be exceptional. With a baller like Stafford able to give it time to open up?

We missed a guy like this last year. Hopefully the injury bug gets zapped this year.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I just meant from a production standpoint... this guy was seriously trying to say DJax is Denario Alexander. Injurys or not you dont put them in the same sentence.

Someone who has 1,300 yards and 10 TDs in his career vs DJax who has 10,600yrds and 56TDs. It's blasphemous to compare them sorry. People need to have respect for great players that have impacted this league. Being concerned about his health is one thing, but there is no risk for us with this move.

So you are now regulating who I can put in the same sentence? Wow, u are something else. You apparently assumed what I was talking about and got it all wrong. I never once said DJax was Denario Alexander. Injury wise at this moment, he is just that in my eyes. Every move has risk involved at the end of the day. I would rather the Rams spent the money elsewhere but they decided otherwise. Keep saying I HOPE it works out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't really move the needle but I'll be surprised if he's healthy for even half the season.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
There was a thread earlier on whether Mike Foolio(yes I spelled that right) hates the Rams. Here's an example as he posts about the Rams signing DeSean Jackson,

"Jackson instantly gives the Rams a field-stretching deep threat for quarterback Matthew Stafford, one that will soften up the crossing routes and underneath areas where Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp function best. The biggest question with Jackson is age and health. He missed 11 games in 2020, and he missed 13 games in 2019."

Good so far but then he morphs into full Foolio.

"If healthy, he’s a difference maker. Assuming the price is right, it’s a prudent risk for a Rams team that will be short on draft picks, thanks to its propensity to trade them away."

While it's true that Snead and company play loose with their #1 draft picks, it doesn't apply to all of them. So why does he add that last part? Because he's a dick and he can't help himself.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
All well and good but I have to wonder...

What was the point of drafting Van Jefferson if the plan was to lock in Woods and Kupp. Shouldn’t they have gone after a burner WR in round 3 last year and saved the hassle and money?

That's a fair point, but Jefferson imo will demonstrate his value.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought Van was our second 2nd round pick. Patience bro. Let him grow and develop maybe DJax is a mentor too.
Yes you’re right! Jefferson was in round 2 just 5 picks after Akers. Getting old and memory is the first to go! Ha!

And I really like Jefferson as a player but I just question if he fills a need. Unless McVay sees him as a potential burner but so far he looks to be in the same mold as Woods and Kupp. We shall see.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yea because Nsimba Webster deserves a roster spot over DJax right? FOH. This guy is a proven vet that McVay knows very well after their time together in Washington. He likely got a very small contract so it's a low risk high reward signing for us. We're going to draft a rookie speed WR as well anyways.
Are u seriously telling me FOH? I hope this isn't how you react when someone doesn't agree with your opinion of the signing. Its fine if we don't see eye to eye, but keep that kinda shit outta here please. I try to discuss things respectfully and ask for the same in return. I get we are in a forum but I don't know you like that. At least take me out a few times for beers before coming on so strong goddamit
OK.... Let's all calm down. BTW... Gonna have to plead my ignorance. What does FOH stand for?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
How do you expect me to take your points seriously? First you say it's a risky move. Uhh not its not. Not at all actually. Then you say well "he'll still be taking up a roster spot." We have useless players like Webster taking up roster spots, you dont think DJax is worth rostering?? I mean your arguments are terrible. Just say you dont like DJax and move on with life. It's fine, not everyone has to love every player. But dont use bullshit points that aren't true then get mad when you get called out on it. Not trying to attack you personally but come on man, this is a low risk signing and he's absolutely worth rostering.
How am I using bullshit points? I'm stating facts you don't agree with and that's fine. You seem to be hung up on being butt hurt that I have my reasons that don't match up with your reasoning. I never once mentioned any other player, but you seem to be the one throwing bullshit names in there. Go back and tell me where I mentioned Webster. I have nothing against D Jackson but I'm not a fan of the signing at the moment. I could definitely be proven wrong. Hence for me, a TBD signing.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
There was a thread earlier on whether Mike Foolio(yes I spelled that right) hates the Rams. Here's an example as he posts about the Rams signing DeSean Jackson,

"Jackson instantly gives the Rams a field-stretching deep threat for quarterback Matthew Stafford, one that will soften up the crossing routes and underneath areas where Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp function best. The biggest question with Jackson is age and health. He missed 11 games in 2020, and he missed 13 games in 2019."

Good so far but then he morphs into full Foolio.

"If healthy, he’s a difference maker. Assuming the price is right, it’s a prudent risk for a Rams team that will be short on draft picks, thanks to its propensity to trade them away."

While it's true that Snead and company play loose with their #1 draft picks, it doesn't apply to all of them. So why does he add that last part? Because he's a dick and he can't help himself.

He's a dick, no question, but uhh... the Rams did trade their top picks and are eating dead cap space for breakfast.

Let's just say this puts a premium on continued excellent draft picks and smart veteran signings by the Rams.

Shuie3225

Starter
Yes you’re right! Jefferson was in round 2 just 5 picks after Akers. Getting old and memory is the first to go! Ha!

And I really like Jefferson as a player but I just question if he fills a need. Unless McVay sees him as a potential burner but so far he looks to be in the same mold as Woods and Kupp. We shall see.

Yea I think Van will still play a large role next year for sure. We wont ask DJax to be the #3 WR and play a ton of snaps IMO. We might even start to see some 4WR sets at times next year. But I think Jefferson will benefit from DJax and his ability to help him on running deep routes. Maybe the same goes for Woods and Kupp, I'm sure they'll pick up a few things. But Jefferson got a crash course on running short and intermediate routes last year from Woods and Kupp..how to release, how to get in and out of breaks. Now he'll be able to round out his game more and I think he still has a nice year regardless of this signing.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He better be coming in cheap as fuck, only way i like this. Use him about 30%-40% of offensive snaps and still draft a deep threat wr, such as Tamorrian Terry.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Yea I think Van will still play a large role next year for sure. We wont ask DJax to be the #3 WR and play a ton of snaps IMO. We might even start to see some 4WR sets at times next year. But I think Jefferson will benefit from DJax and his ability to help him on running deep routes. Maybe the same goes for Woods and Kupp, I'm sure they'll pick up a few things. But Jefferson got a crash course on running short and intermediate routes last year from Woods and Kupp..how to release, how to get in and out of breaks. Now he'll be able to round out his game more and I think he still has a nice year regardless of this signing.
I hope Jefferson improves and gets more opportunities. He did flash a few times last year.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Yeah, to call Desean "immature" would be an understatement. He's also posted some really stupid and really ignorant things.

In his defense though, he truly apologized (several times) and even agreed to meet with several community leaders, etc. to help him get his facts straight. Who knows, maybe he actually learned something.

As long as he can keep his mouth shut and stay healthy, I'll keep an open mind. (Two big "ifs", but here's hoping)

No question Jackson behaved and spoke very badly at times when he was younger. But on this front I have to trust McVay. He knows Jackson, wanted him, and will not put up with distractions or motivational issues. And sometimes people grow up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

remember when webster began returning punts and most of us were happy. he showed some spark. well it didn't last long and he proved to be woeful in that position. then when he finally did break one he let the punter tackle him with a winning td in his sights. he actually ran into the punter. what returner does that?

natson was 10 times the returner webtser is.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
No question Jackson behaved and spoke very badly at times when he was younger. But on this front I have to trust McVay. He knows Jackson, wanted him, and will not put up with distractions or motivational issues. And sometimes people grow up.
Not sure I've heard him say anything that has caught the media's attention recently. I'm sure he'll be fine on that front and agree with you 100%.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Denario had knee issues though so that was kind of different. Also he was asked to do a lot for us because he was our best receiver unfortunately. Jackson's going to be on such a snap count that if he gets hurt I'm going to be shocked just because the probability that he'll even be out there enough to tweak a hamstring is going to be low lol
I hope your right. His injury history is definitely worrying. Wish his issue was more like having one year where the injury bug bit him too often but I suppose we wouldn't have been able to afford him if that were the case.