Denver's OLB Von Miller traded to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regarding the picks given up for VM:
the good news is that if we get to the SB, our late second round pick is likely going to be more like a third rounder and our 3rd rounder pick more like a 4th rounder.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Honestly I've seen a lot more of the NFL media praising us for this move versus criticizing. Maybe people are starting to see our formula and way of thinking. Or maybe after Ramsey and Stafford its hard to argue that its not a valid strategy. I would say majority of what I've seen has been very positive though.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I haven't heard, have they got a better idea of whether he might be available for the Titans ?? If he can go, that would be huge !! They might be really piqued if they lost Henry and gained Von next to Aaron Donald...OUCH for them...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Regarding the picks given up for VM:
the good news is that if we get to the SB, our late second round pick is likely going to be more like a third rounder and our 3rd rounder pick more like a 4th rounder.
Ah... Love a good rationalization. You're right of course.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I haven't heard, have they got a better idea of whether he might be available for the Titans ?? If he can go, that would be huge !! They might be really piqued if they lost Henry and gained Von next to Aaron Donald...OUCH for them...
Everything I've heard is that he's playing. Guess we'll see how many snaps he gets.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Good job outlining the Rams way. I am not 100 percent convinced it is sustainable but hope I am wrong because it sure appears this is their formula. F them picks is really the Rams philosophy at this point.

Ultimately we will see if it works. There was two years of Oline shuffling and a clear dropoff until a few young players developed through growing pains, and a trade could shore it up. Firing of the Oline coach shows Houston had a problem. We also see weaknesses this year in the defensive secondary and ILB due to late rounders UFA's that are not playing that well, Fuller, Young, Williams, Reeder etc. At one point people were calling for the firing of Morris.

So was it scheme or in fact the weakening of the roster due to F them picks.

If we get bounced in the playoffs due to underperforming JAGs the perspective will change. Then you lose key players in the offseason just like other seasons that weakend us (Saffold, Hill, JJ etc).

I'm hoping it works and you definitely are correct that this is the way - for the Rams.

Often Genius borders on insanity. And we know Snead is Way the hell outside the box and bordering on Crazy man.
I'm not sure it will be sustainable either, but I would rather have a thin top layer of super talent, than a plethora of JAGs.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Honestly I've seen a lot more of the NFL media praising us for this move versus criticizing. Maybe people are starting to see our formula and way of thinking. Or maybe after Ramsey and Stafford its hard to argue that its not a valid strategy. I would say majority of what I've seen has been very positive though.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more Snead copycats around the league but I just don't think other GMs have the balls to do what he does. Most of these guys are just trying to hold onto their jobs and are scared of the repercussions if a big move doesn't work out so they just can't pull the trigger. Snead knows the organization has his back and that's what makes the difference.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The ‘Snead methodology’ requires the ability to draft well with the remaining picks going all the way down to UDFA’s.

Also, having a good coaching staff that can quickly develop lesser regarded players is an indispensable part of this equation.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I'm surprised we haven't seen more Snead copycats around the league but I just don't think other GMs have the balls to do what he does. Most of these guys are just trying to hold onto their jobs and are scared of the repercussions if a big move doesn't work out so they just can't pull the trigger. Snead knows the organization has his back and that's what makes the difference.
They will soon. We’ve already seen small glimpses the last two years in our division with the AZ, SEA and SF moves. IMO those were responses to us and our aggressiveness building our team. Our formula is so new and avant-garde many still mock us. It goes against everything these GMs have been taught their entire lives about building a team. But so was hiring an unproven 30yr old head coach. 5 years later we have arguably the best HC in football and since the McVay hire, LaFluer, Kingsberry, Taylor, and Staley have all gotten HC jobs in the last 3 years. Ever notice how after 2017 & 2018 half of the teams in the NFL started running jet motion? We are setting the trends for the NFL and it’s no coincidence why every year we lose multiple assistant coaches to promotions.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don’t think other teams have the resources Snead has. I think it’s a lot more than just big balls.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Am I still in La La land?

Like a young kid a few days before Christmas, I've been salivating over all the presents under the tree wondering what they might be when the wrapping paper gets torn off.

I've watched every dang, damn thing said about the trade for OLB Von Miller.

None of the negative Nellies ripping our team for this trade have come close to wiping the smile off of my face.

The Rams are the most eclectic fascinating NFL franchise in the NFL.

If Von Miller gets cleared to play Sunday night, we all get to unwrap our first stocking stuffer vs the Titans.

The Rams are the talk of the town and I feel like a young child knowing the...
OIP.Og7bt1R1HSOHcoMtyu8-sQHaD4

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Yeah, they always assign someone to say it's not tenable, but I did see on one of the "analysis" shows that one of the people brought up the Dolphins as a contrast. NO team has had more first over the time period since 2016 when we gave up picks for Goff and they're 1-7 with tons of 1st round misses.

That was a first. I've seen it multiple times now, but the counter narrative to the "Les just trades away all his draft capital" is the "this is how the Rams do business" and making an attempt to understand what the thinking is. The current model was contrasted with what did the Rams get from the RG3 trade?

So while some folks on any given day are given that narrative, it's nice that the Rams aren't always talked about like "Crazy Eddie: Our prices are...INSANE!!!" and more of shrewdly reevaluating picks versus proven talent.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
McVay and Snead have done a great job drafting gems in later rounds. McVay hasn't had a first round pick but the Rams have been winners each season and got to a super bowl.

The strategy can only work if you can draft well with what you have a become a welcome mat to the good free agents.

It's clear that McVay went all in for the super bowl again this season because we have no draft capital in the 2022 draft but it will be worth it if we get the Lombardi trophy.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
McVay and Snead have done a great job drafting gems in later rounds. McVay hasn't had a first round pick but the Rams have been winners each season and got to a super bowl.

The strategy can only work if you can draft well with what you have a become a welcome mat to the good free agents.

It's clear that McVay went all in for the super bowl again this season because we have no draft capital in the 2022 draft but it will be worth it if we get the Lombardi trophy.
They will have 8 picks if they get the comps they are expecting. Snead has gone over how that freed them up to give the two picks for Von. Also said they have had the third most picks over the last 3 years, I believe. They have plenty of draft capital, they just don’t always use it in a traditional way.

oldnotdead

Legend
The third round pick is likely to be at the bottom of the round. The Rams will have the 3rd round comp pick for Holmes a few picks later. So they aren't losing much if anything.

They are expected to get at least 3 perhaps 4 comp picks next year. So that's more than enough for Snead to work with. Snead is masterful at finding talent in all 7 rounds. This team is built, they are simply looking for developmental players and backups who can play STs.

When you are drafting for depth you have no need for high picks. As for the Snead system being sustainable, the answer is absolutely. He's done it for 5 years now with no reason to think he can't continue. The key is his scouting department. That is the secret to his success, that and he's got a keen eye for talent. He's not afraid to mine the smaller programs.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Snead gets 100% value out of each early pick when traded. The recipient takes on the risk of hitting on the selection.

So… He gets more overall value out of early picks, because he hits on all of them this way.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

"I can't stop smiling": Aaron Donald, Rams defense excited to add Von Miller to mix​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – For an idea of how excited Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald is about the arrival of new teammate and outside linebacker Von Miller, consider he compared it to a recent major life event.

"I don't know man," Donald said, when asked about the last time he was this happy. "Probably when my baby was born. I've been cheesin'. I can't stop smiling."

Donald has every reason to.

Already with a league-leading 25 sacks – Donald has five of them – the Rams defense now adds Miller to the mix, injecting leadership, All-Decade pass rush talent and more into the unit.

The 32-year-old Miller amassed 110.5 career sacks in nine-plus seasons with the Broncos, making him the NFL's active leader. He'll help bookend an edge group led by Leonard Floyd and his team-high 6.5 sacks.

Donald is familiar with Floyd from connecting on social media and through attending his Pass Rush Summit in 2019. While Floyd hasn't attended a pass rush summit yet, he did work with the same trainer as Miller – former Falcons All-Pro defensive end Chuck Smith.

"It's been great so far," Floyd said after Thursday's practice about Miller. "He came in day one, said he was going to come in and just play hard for us and help us win football games."

Exactly how – aside from the obvious of continuing to put pressure on the quarterback as the Rams have done consistently this season – remains to be seen, but Rams defensive coordinator knows from experience to tailor scheme to fit talented players.

Morris remembers having conversations with members of the Buccaneers scouting staff when he was the Bucs head coach about Miller when Miller was coming out for the 2011 NFL Draft and whether he would be a fit in their 4-3 scheme.

"I said, 'Change the scheme,' and I meant it with every being I had," Morris said Thursday. "I feel no differently about what he'll be able to do for us."

This much is clear: The arrival of Miller will make it difficult to concentrate on just one Rams pass rusher, whether it be Donald, Floyd or another member of the unit.

"You add a talent like that with the players we got like Flo and myself, even Greg (Gaines) has been rushing good, the certain looks we're able to give, it's going to be hard for teams to try to focus on one person because we've got so many good players, so it should be fun," Donald said. "We've still got to go out there and compete and make it happen, but we've got a great opportunity to do some great things."