Denver's OLB Von Miller traded to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Great interview with Von up on the Rams site. Charismatic, well spoken, excited to be a Ram. Sounds like he’ll be ready to get some snaps this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing him in horns for a few years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Interpretation: Old bastids like us only got so long to see the Rams win a Lombardi again before we kick!
lying-coming.gif

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Saw the Von presser today.

He said repeatedly how important it was to him to be on a team that could compete for championships.

Made me feel a little better about the Rams chances of signing him to a 2-3 year deal. Von does NOT want to go to a crappy team even if it's the highest bidder. Playing again in a SB is clearly one of his top priorities.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And Snead on Rich Eisen said that they plan to retain him if possible (knowing that if Von Miller wants to be a FA, there's little the Rams can do about that).

That means that the Rams as part of this process are planning to dedicate the money to this position. That's important as we go forward to know.

I don't think it will change their OL plans, but I really hope it doesn't affect us keeping Brian Allen and Corbett... and Boom.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And Snead on Rich Eisen said that they plan to retain him if possible (knowing that if Von Miller wants to be a FA, there's little the Rams can do about that).

That means that the Rams as part of this process are planning to dedicate the money to this position. That's important as we go forward to know.

I don't think it will change their OL plans, but I really hope it doesn't affect us keeping Brian Allen and Corbett... and Boom.
I think they keep 2 out of 3. Not all 3.
Most likely combo, in my mind, is Noteboom & Allen.
I do wonder though if they take a shot at Cam Robinson or Terron Armstead.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think they keep 2 out of 3. Not all 3.
Most likely combo, in my mind, is Noteboom & Allen.
Hard to imagine the Rams thinking anything other than this.

LT is of course super-important, and Boom is a known commodity-- maybe not top tier like Whit, but steady and above average and just hitting his prime.

As for Allen, that guy's been a revelation. Wow. Allen's excellent technique and his ability to make line calls have been key to the OL.

Corbett has been great too-- he just doesn't seem as hard to replace as Boom and Allen. Hope they resign all 3, but hard to see it any other way than Corbett is a lower priority than the other two.

TexasRam

Legend
What the media doesn't understand is that draft picks are like money on payday. You can bank it, i.e. save it for draft day and hope you receive value for the wait, and wait some more for those picks to bear fruit. Or you can spend it on proven value. The Rams simply spend it on proven value and say screw the waiting and uncertainty. The problem with building and maintaining your roster strictly via the draft is that most rosters will age out before the team is ever completely built. Look how much turnover there is yearly on the average roster. Drafting might cover attrition and give you one or two guys to eventually plug holes in that roster.

The Ram way is to use those expensive high draft picks to trade for proven players while drafting well in the mid - low rounds for developmental talent. Look how well Snead drafts where 4 of the 9 picks are starters or rotational players as rookies. Jones, is a third round pick, Rochell a 4th round pick, Skowronek and Funk 7th round picks and it's only halfway through the season. I think we will see Bobby Brown and Jacob Harris (both 4th round) before the season is over. Snead doesn't need 1st or even second round players to build this roster.

You need only look at the OL to see what I'm saying. His approach to OL building is very old school (2nd to 5th rd, trade, or UFA). Give the rookies a year to develop then play them.

LT Whitworth - UFA 2017
LT Noteboom - 3rd rd
LG Edwards - 5th rd
C Allen - 4th rd
RG Corbett - trade
RT Havenstein - 2nd rd

Matt Stafford, via trade, Justin Hollins, claimed off waivers, Leonard Floyd was a UDFA, Jalen Ramsey via trade, Darious Williams, claimed off waivers, Robert Woods, signed as a UFA, Cooper Kupp, drafted 3rd rd, Darrell Henderson drafted 3rd rd, Jordan Fuller drafted in 6th rd, Taylor Rapp, drafted in the 2nd rd.

Yeah, who needs 1st rd draft picks other than as trade bait. Most of the Ram starters were not 1st rd picks. In fact the majority of their starters are mid or low round picks, obtained by trade or signed as FAs. I laugh at these teams struggling to build their rosters and never really catching up to the attrition leaving obvious holes in their roster.

The Rams needed Miller more than they needed 2 picks. Miller can be an immediate impact player. The odds of a 2nd and 3rd round player being impactful next year is not high. The Rams made the right move IMO.

Good job outlining the Rams way. I am not 100 percent convinced it is sustainable but hope I am wrong because it sure appears this is their formula. F them picks is really the Rams philosophy at this point.

Ultimately we will see if it works. There was two years of Oline shuffling and a clear dropoff until a few young players developed through growing pains, and a trade could shore it up. Firing of the Oline coach shows Houston had a problem. We also see weaknesses this year in the defensive secondary and ILB due to late rounders UFA's that are not playing that well, Fuller, Young, Williams, Reeder etc. At one point people were calling for the firing of Morris.

So was it scheme or in fact the weakening of the roster due to F them picks.

If we get bounced in the playoffs due to underperforming JAGs the perspective will change. Then you lose key players in the offseason just like other seasons that weakend us (Saffold, Hill, JJ etc).

I'm hoping it works and you definitely are correct that this is the way - for the Rams.

Often Genius borders on insanity. And we know Snead is Way the hell outside the box and bordering on Crazy man.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Am I the only one that thinks the Rams might consider using Miller to blast the A gaps?

With how well Floyd and the two headed Obo/Lewis monster are playing, I wonder if Miller fills some sort of other role to pressure the pocket from inside.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Am I the only one that thinks the Rams might consider using Miller to blast the A gaps?

With how well Floyd and the two headed Obo/Lewis monster are playing, I wonder if Miller fills some sort of other role to pressure the pocket from inside.
I think having him prowling the line, pre-snap.. gives the QB one more thing to have to read and process.. much like Ramsey in the star behind him.
Having them both moving around? Wow.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think its pretty clear that, while other GMs grew up playing with Mel Kiper action figures, Les Snead's favorite was a Warren Buffett.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Good job outlining the Rams way. I am not 100 percent convinced it is sustainable but hope I am wrong because it sure appears this is their formula. F them picks is really the Rams philosophy at this point.

Ultimately we will see if it works. There was two years of Oline shuffling and a clear dropoff until a few young players developed through growing pains, and a trade could shore it up. Firing of the Oline coach shows Houston had a problem. We also see weaknesses this year in the defensive secondary and ILB due to late rounders UFA's that are not playing that well, Fuller, Young, Williams, Reeder etc. At one point people were calling for the firing of Morris.

So was it scheme or in fact the weakening of the roster due to F them picks.

If we get bounced in the playoffs due to underperforming JAGs the perspective will change. Then you lose key players in the offseason just like other seasons that weakend us (Saffold, Hill, JJ etc).

I'm hoping it works and you definitely are correct that this is the way - for the Rams.

Often Genius borders on insanity. And we know Snead is Way the hell outside the box and bordering on Crazy man.
With a coach like McVay, they should always be respectable as long as they have a QB and an OL. There might be yrs where the defensive cupboard gets a little bare, if they miss on some picks, but I am assuming he will always prioritize QB (and be able to get a good QB or develop a good QB) and OL.