Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Anyone have any good ideas for schools?
Go back to school. Be creative in your methods and find new horizons. You can't keep the little kiddos in a bubble forever. It wasn't that long ago during the height of the Cold War that we were teaching our kids to assume the fetal position in case of a nuclear blast. To this day, many people still tell their kids not to go swimming at least 30 minutes after eating although there has never been a documented drowning associated with that myth. It's a great teaching moment about coping, problem solving, brainstorming, etc. Like stated ad nauseam, Covid isn't going anywhere, ever. This is one of those "adapt or perish" moments that Darwin was talking about. Parents have to make the call for their kids though. My daughter is off to college next month. She is a little nervous but her yearning for knowledge is overriding her fears. The wife and I are of course a little nervous as well since I'd be nervous with perfect conditions. All we can do is try to equip her with what we think will keep her safe. The truth of the matter is we have been doing that all her life. It's now up to her to do the rest. Of course, we will send her off with a supply of masks, hand sanitizer, and wipes.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
No doubt the race is on - and has been.

Do you suspect the govt will buy the vaccine from the pharma co and give it to the people?
I doubt it. They won't pay for an antibodies test so.................

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Sadly, no it wouldn’t. Serious crime is committed without much thought into getting away with it. People are dumb. Real dumb.

I can’t tell you the number of high level felonies I’ve had the past several years where the defendant was on camera - often With multiple angles, or confess via social media.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Last I looked there are many pharma companies battling it out for an effective vaccine. Let’s wait to see what we get before going all doomsday scenario.

As soon as there is a vaccine - anyone who wants one will be able to get one

That’s not some doomsday scenario, it’s a scientific journal and then an article written by a Dr. that discusses some of the key points so it’s more easily understood.

I don’t see the purpose in painting raw data from a large scientific study that was testing previous hypothesis based on similar results elsewhere.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Sadly, no it wouldn’t. Serious crime is committed without much thought into getting away with it. People are dumb. Real dumb.

I can’t tell you the number of high level felonies I’ve had the past several years where the defendant was on camera - often With multiple angles, or confess via social media.
No way in hell am I getting a chip installed. I saw the movie Minority Report.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
No way in hell am I getting a chip installed. I saw the movie Minority Report.

Wasn’t that the one with the retinal scanners? Where Tom cruise had to go get black market eyes to get by?

That’s closer to where we really are than some microchip malarkey. They don’t need the microchips - they have facial recognition and cameras everywhere. They don’t need your consent - this is just where the world is.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I have a hard time buying into the temperature data being reported en masse unless you have a Howard Hughes hypochondriac level CEO.

I'd like to see the list of firms that are actually reporting this data.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
That’s not some doomsday scenario, it’s a scientific journal and then an article written by a Dr. that discusses some of the key points so it’s more easily understood.

I don’t see the purpose in painting raw data from a large scientific study that was testing previous hypothesis based on similar results elsewhere.

Well it’s not exactly “raw”
It’s loaded
I mean there is some prognostication, but then it veers into speculation about the inability to achieve herd immunity due to so-called Anti-Vaxxers.
So this article is anything but raw.
I could see if the article was all about the percentage of people that need to reach herd immunity or the effectiveness of a vaccine but it’s not entirely. So again it seems like it is bringing in notions of doom and blames those who are against vaccines for our inability to achieve herd immunity when we don’t even have a vaccine yet.
Anyway....
Doesn’t read raw to me

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Go back to school. Be creative in your methods and find new horizons. You can't keep the little kiddos in a bubble forever. It wasn't that long ago during the height of the Cold War that we were teaching our kids to assume the fetal position in case of a nuclear blast. To this day, many people still tell their kids not to go swimming at least 30 minutes after eating although there has never been a documented drowning associated with that myth. It's a great teaching moment about coping, problem solving, brainstorming, etc. Like stated ad nauseam, Covid isn't going anywhere, ever. This is one of those "adapt or perish" moments that Darwin was talking about. Parents have to make the call for their kids though. My daughter is off to college next month. She is a little nervous but her yearning for knowledge is overriding her fears. The wife and I are of course a little nervous as well since I'd be nervous with perfect conditions. All we can do is try to equip her with what we think will keep her safe. The truth of the matter is we have been doing that all her life. It's now up to her to do the rest. Of course, we will send her off with a supply of masks, hand sanitizer, and wipes.

Everything you say is correct
But If you can home school,
home school.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well it’s not exactly “raw”
It’s loaded
I mean there is some prognostication, but then it veers into speculation about the inability to achieve herd immunity due to so-called Anti-Vaxxers.
So this article is anything but raw.
I could see if the article was all about the percentage of people that need to reach herd immunity or the effectiveness of a vaccine but it’s not entirely. So again it seems like it is bringing in notions of doom and blames those who are against vaccines for our inability to achieve herd immunity when we don’t even have a vaccine yet.
Anyway....
Doesn’t read raw to me

This is a scientific journal. If you don’t have access to it like I do, as I work at a university that pays for such access to journals, then I invite you to go to your local college, sign into their WiFi and read it yourself.

The secondary support article, which again was written by two doctors, including an epidemiologist, which is a doctor that studies infectious diseases just like this, is taking about various talking points that have come up and giving their expert opinions on them.

So these are experts, working in the field, doing direct work with the virus and telling us what they are seeing and learning. This is about the most direct from the source information you can get.

So I’m afraid I have to reject this notion that they aren’t reliable sources, or aren’t talking with raw data or writing peer reviewed scientific journals, because that is exactly what they are.

I presented the articles without comment because of their writers experience and expertise for a reason. The mods have requested cooler heads prevail. I don’t appreciate this apparent bait attempt by simply attempting to discredit the article as not credible with nothing to support such a move other than your own opinions. Saying things like “so called anti-vaxxers” is not a constructive debate, it’s bait for an argument. If that is what you’re looking for, I already told you. My PM’s are open for my full unfiltered thoughts and opinions.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

This is a scientific journal. If you don’t have access to it like I do, as I work at a university that pays for such access to journals, then I invite you to go to your local college, sign into their WiFi and read it yourself.

The secondary support article, which again was written by two doctors, including an epidemiologist, which is a doctor that studies infectious diseases just like this, is taking about various talking points that have come up and giving their expert opinions on them.

So these are experts, working in the field, doing direct work with the virus and telling us what they are seeing and learning. This is about the most direct from the source information you can get.

So I’m afraid I have to reject this notion that they aren’t reliable sources, or aren’t talking with raw data or writing peer reviewed scientific journals, because that is exactly what they are.

I presented the articles without comment because of their writers experience and expertise for a reason. The mods have requested cooler heads prevail. I don’t appreciate this apparent bait attempt by simply attempting to discredit the article as not credible with nothing to support such a move other than your own opinions. Saying things like “so called anti-vaxxers” is not a constructive debate, it’s bait for an argument. If that is what you’re looking for, I already told you. My PM’s are open for my full unfiltered thoughts and opinions.

So you posted two articles - must have missed the one you are talking about.

But i in no way am trying to bait anyone. I am simply commenting on one of the articles you posted which talked about an inability to achieve herd immunity that included Fauci’a concern about so-called “anti-vaxxers”

I didn’t bring it up, the article you posted did. My comment was just that it isn’t entirely scientific - which it isn’t. It mentioned how Fauci was concerned about a segment of the population who won’t get a vaccine and labelled them “anti-vaxxers” and that that segment might prevent us from achieving herd immunity with a 75% effective vaccine. It was not me saying this - it was the article you posted.

I’m confused as to why you post anything. I’m i just supposed to admire it? I mean to be accused of trying to pick a fight is just not the case. And I never said anything about the article being unreliable - I just said it’s loaded and not 100% scientific as you claim

But yeah, i will definitely not comment on your posts moving forward if I’m gonna get accused of something that isn’t even on my mind

I’m not the “hot head” in this scenerio

5C630675-FC62-47CB-83BC-9281E3DB070E.jpeg

bluecoconuts

Legend
So you posted two articles - must have missed the one you are talking about.

But i in no way am trying to bait anyone. I am simply commenting on one of the articles you posted which talked about an inability to achieve herd immunity that included Fauci’a concern about so-called “anti-vaxxers”

I didn’t bring it up, the article you posted did. My comment was just that it isn’t entirely scientific - which it isn’t. It mentioned how Fauci was concerned about a segment of the population who won’t get a vaccine and labelled them “anti-vaxxers” and that that segment might prevent us from achieving herd immunity with a 75% effective vaccine. It was not me saying this - it was the article you posted.

I’m confused as to why you post anything. I’m i just supposed to admire it? I mean to be accused of trying to pick a fight is just not the case. And I never said anything about the article being unreliable - I just said it’s loaded and not 100% scientific as you claim

But yeah, i will definitely not comment on your posts moving forward if I’m gonna get accused of something that isn’t even on my mind

I’m not the “hot head” in this scenerio

View attachment 37266

You're confused on why I posted a scholarly journal on COVID and an article written by two experts in the field currently studying the disease in a thread about the disease? I didn't claim a damn thing, I posted them without comment. You claimed stuff, and you're still doing it. I'm not even addressing your points and you're still trying to bait me.

I didn't post it for you, so you can ignore it. Much like I'm going to do when your next post tries to pull me into an argument again.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Open them and keep any and all high risk faculty/staff at home where they can manage the chunk of parents/kids who will inevitably refuse to "go back to school" and instead opt for distance learning.

Supply masks.

Kids need to get back to school ASAP. Autonomy.

IMO

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
You're confused on why I posted a scholarly journal on COVID and an article written by two experts in the field currently studying the disease in a thread about the disease? I didn't claim a damn thing, I posted them without comment. You claimed stuff, and you're still doing it. I'm not even addressing your points and you're still trying to bait me.

I didn't post it for you, so you can ignore it. Much like I'm going to do when your next post tries to pull me into an argument again.

Hey man,
I like your posts
I appreciate you and was just talking with you as if we were having beers on a normal day
Looks like I caught you at a bad time
I apologize for anything I said that might have offended you
It was not my intention
Peace

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Open them and keep any and all high risk faculty/staff at home where they can manage the chunk of parents/kids who will inevitably refuse to "go back to school" and instead opt for distance learning.

Supply masks.

Kids need to get back to school ASAP. Autonomy.

IMO

If I were a stoner kid (which i was) I would definitely claim being a “high” risk

AE34A3FD-9AD9-4968-B022-4259701FA970.jpeg

bluecoconuts

Legend

I think there needs to be a chance in approach in how we teach our students.

For example, I've stopped giving me students exams where I ask a question like "Calculate the luminosity of a star with a radius of blah blah blah" or multiple choice questions, or things like that where they can simply look up the information and barf it back out to me. Essentially every exam now is open note open book given there's no real way to combat cheating, and I have to imagine that's down at the lower levels as well, especially high school.

So I've tried to restructure my exams to give the students more freedom to discuss the topic that most interests them, and then talk about it. It's not the best solution yet, and I've been making some adjustments on the fly at times, but the benefit I found is that it's easy to figure out who doesn't really know what they're talking about or not. While I obviously don't expect them to be subject matter experts or anything, it's like the difference between a kid who did the reading and a kid who didn't while doing an oral report, you can tell how well they're grasping things.

Younger children, and elementary school, I honestly have no clue. It's a pretty big problem I think, not just in the sense of the difficulty of potential home schooling or virtual schooling, but there are parents who work full time and school is what keeps their kid safe while they're gone, and in many cases of low income students, the only source of food or nutrition available. If people don't feel it's safe enough are they going to be forced into making a decision of potentially exposing their child to the virus vs giving them their only warm meal in their belly for the day? I hope not. I still have faith that something will be worked out, at least at local and state levels, or even communities doing food donations.

Hey man,
I like your posts
I appreciate you and was just talking with you as if we were having beers on a normal day
Looks like I caught you at a bad time
I apologize for anything I said that might have offended you
It was not my intention
Peace

That's a possibility, bad days have been more and more common lately unfortunately, so it wouldn't be the first time. It was fun and games for me for a while while initially working from home, but student issues and lab issues have been popping up faster than we can put them out, so my days have mostly come to, waking up at 4:45AM, going to bed at 11PM, and then waking up between 1AM and 2AM to help one of my grad students research project, because that's the only time he's available to do it, and he is an international student so no longer in the United States.

Basically a long winded way of saying, cheers man, it's not worth arguing over with friends, and ultimately we all just want this to be done so we can get to enjoy some football. I need to see Goff dropping dimes in Seattle again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And the hospitals being overrun? Shall we just party through that part of the problem?
Loosen restrictions to allow controlled spread, then tighten up rinse repeat. And yes to the partying. I mean why the fuck not. :biggrin:(y)

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Loosen restrictions to allow controlled spread, then tighten up rinse repeat. And yes to the partying. I mean why the fuck not. :biggrin:(y)
This is what it may come down to unfortunately as a last resort. Like some folks sick with chicken pox and just exposing everybody in a controlled setting so they may eventually develop antibodies and an immunity. Not saying it will, but if we're unable to stop infection it's a potential reality.

Hope it doesn't come down to it though. I have loved ones who are high risk.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Seems to me the actual fatalities from this is thinning and thinning compared to just a few short month ago, doesn’t seem to be a popular talking point though

not opening schools imo is nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.