Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
For an Agent Provacateur you’re pretty diplomatic

Seriously though, thanks for writing this post.

In general I try very hard to be civil and diplomatic. But when someone continuously hurls personal insults at me, at some point enough is enough.

SWADude has said “I won’t lower myself to your level”, “you're
ignorant”, “you don’t deserve the privilege of air travel”, “you argue like a high schooler competing against the pros”, and on and on and on. Another of his posts (which I saw before he deleted it) contained more of the same.

Not only that, he flagged one of my posts as “Inappropriate” purely as a revenge tactic. I said nothing inappropriate in that post whatsoever.

SWADude wrote, “I really suggest you do not fly until the vaccine is developed and if there never is one, drive. Some people do not deserve the privilege of air transportation.“

Seriously, WTF? All I did was point out some inconsistencies in the enforcement of mask-wearing on airlines. I even went out of my way to clarify that my argument was NOT about him personally or his aircraft, it was about the airline industry in general.

So yeah, I’m gonna take a break from this board for awhile. Really unpleasant to deal with a poster like that.
Don’t forget my man, it’s usually takes two to tango, these are strange days.

I hold the both of you in the highest regard, too bad we couldn’t sit at a bar having a beverage or five and laugh this off, cuz there’s not doubt in my mind we could and then move on to our O Lines prospects

no need for a hiatus, I’d hope it’s all a spirited conversation which can be healthy

Cheers!

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The way COVID is going, we're not gonna have football this year.

At this rate, we may need to rename the site RamsOnTheBackburner...or RamsMaybeNextYear...

I just know that I dunno how much more YouTube I can take. I may actually start reading BOOKS again...

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Coronavirus cases in USA have gone up by 80% in last 2 weeks.

Over 50,000 new cases per day and climbing.

In the past, rising death-counts have lagged a couple weeks behind new-case counts.

Really concerned for our country.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FF1B6D91-7EA4-4DC7-A5AD-469F669D806F.jpeg
But you should look up the definition of exponential. It's not true anywhere in the US.

that curve is the very definition of exponential.

it's only a spike if it comes back down. so as of now it is heading exponentially skywards.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He passed last night. He lived in Dallas and we have a family plot for him in CA. So...not sure how we gonna do the logistics.

The masks aren’t for you, they’re for protecting others. Sorry if I come across as angry, but I’m finally getting Grandbabies and I’d like to enjoy this time.

I won’t fly if it comes to that, but my mom doesn’t trust the recycled air on planes so we may rent an RV anyway.

Anyway, that’s what gets me upset...people just don’t or won’t understand why masks are essential.

my aunt's husband died last week. i refused to go to condolences or the funeral. my brother went the first night and it was exactly as i imagined it would be, everyone was crammed into the house, no masks, everyone kissing everyone cheek to cheek. my sister went the next day and it was the same. i was not going to put myself in that situation. my lungs are already 50% damaged and i'm not testing fate. having said that sydney has had zero cases for awhile, but you never know. it only takes one person to set it going again.

as an example, one person has tested positive today at a supermarket and he was working at the self serve section which is always busy. he came from melbourne a couple of days ago. he came from bangladesh two weeks before that and went into quarantine in a melbourne hotel. he tested positive, went through the process, didn't show symptoms for three days, so they let him go. but they didn't test him again the dumb fucks. he headed straight to sydney and started working. now fifty people that work there have to self isolate. who knows who caught it off him. all because some fuckwit let him leave the hotel without testing he was actually over the virus.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Coronavirus cases in USA have gone up by 80% in last 2 weeks.

Over 50,000 new cases per day and climbing.

In the past, rising death-counts have lagged a couple weeks behind new-case counts.

Really concerned for our country.

How are they finding out 50k per day?
Is that cause of testing?
I mean to get 50k results a day wouldn’t that mean there are equal if not far more results that are not infected? So that is a lot of of testing.
Or are they doing some sort of math equation?
Like if one person tests positive they account for more?
Not sure how we are getting these numbers.
Anyone have an answer to this?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How are they finding out 50k per day?
Is that cause of testing?
I mean to get 50k results a day wouldn’t that mean there are equal if not far more results that are not infected? So that is a lot of of testing.
Or are they doing some sort of math equation?
Like if one person tests positive they account for more?
Not sure how we are getting these numbers.
Anyone have an answer to this?

These are confirmed tests. Positivity rate is also tabulated. (Positive tests / Percent of tests done). When the positive rate is over 10% in an area, it is believed there are a significant amount of unknown cases in that area.

Right now, the CDC believes we are catching about 1 in 10 cases.

So, yes - we are doing a lot of tests - and yes, that means the number of confirmed cases goes up. (Can’t be confirmed without a test.)

The fact that the positivity rate also keeps going up (especially in the sunbelt) is evidence that the virus is spreading - and not just that we are confirming cases that already existed. If we are beating this thing, the positivity rate should be going down or at least remaining consistent.

But to answer your question - yes - when they say 50,000 positive results in a day - there would be another several hundred thousand negative results in that day.

At least that’s how I understand it.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
The way COVID is going, we're not gonna have football this year.

At this rate, we may need to rename the site RamsOnTheBackburner...or RamsMaybeNextYear...

I just know that I dunno how much more YouTube I can take. I may actually start reading BOOKS again...

I know it's not anyones main concern, but I wonder how contracts will work? will it count as a season or not? If so we may have lucked out bigly with Gurley's contract.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I know it's not anyones main concern, but I wonder how contracts will work? will it count as a season or not? If so we may have lucked out bigly with Gurley's contract.

I would guess it would be the same rules as a lockout would be. It’s a non year - no one moves forward a contract year.

Sucks for players in their prime to lose a year. You don’t get those back.

I keep hoping for some way for the season to still happen, but I’m not seeing it.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
That's not true. FL is only showing like 3300 deaths, but they've misclassified over 4k deaths as pneumonia.

Other states are doing this as well.

Bottom line is this. All this freedom dogma that is divorced from science is gonna make us lose football this year.

We could have had it, but we won't because people are too selfish to allow us to have nice things.

And you're damn right that I'm gonna blame the selfish ones when I'm sitting around in September wishing we could have football this year.

It wasn't that long ago that we banded together as a nation, literally turned every industry to a war effort and was one of the only countries in world history to win a war on two fronts. Ever. Everyone was all in. Scrap metal drives, rubber drives, shared sacrifice at home and abroad.

Now, in order to save hundreds of thousands of lives, we can't even get people to wear a bit of cloth on their faces for a few months.

I don't think people truly grasp how far we've fallen as a people. And selfishness knows no political ideology. We've seen it around the world from people of all stripes.

Makes me sad. I thought when push came to shove, we were better than this and we just...aren't.
I agree with you. I ask 2 question. What is the possible harm in putting on a mask? What is the possible harm in not putting on a mask? This is not complicated. It has nothing to do with politics. It is simple risk reward. It doesn't mater if you believe the statistics. If you believe your politicians. You don't even have to believe the experts. If I am wrong and putting on a mask doesn't do any good, no body dies or gets sick from my decision. On the other hand.......
I just don't understand this debate.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Texas governor today issued a statewide order requiring masks to be worn in public. Repeat offenders can be fined up to $250.

The public “debate” over masks has taken a dramatic turn.

Finally.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
These are confirmed tests. Positivity rate is also tabulated. (Positive tests / Percent of tests done). When the positive rate is over 10% in an area, it is believed there are a significant amount of unknown cases in that area.

So, yes - we are doing a lot of tests - and yes, that means the number of confirmed cases goes up. (Can’t be confirmed without a test.)

The fact that the positivity rate also keeps going up (especially in the sunbelt) is evidence that the virus is spreading - and not just that we are confirming cases that already existed. If we are beating this thing, the positivity rate should be going down or at least remaining consistent.

But to answer your question - yes - when they say 50,000 positive results in a day - there would be another several hundred thousand negative results in that day.

I know when Texas had that huge one day spike right after opening up they had sent a bunch of tests to be done at some meat packing plant that they were already absolutely certain had a high number of cases. That would skew the positivity rate (as would only sending tests to places you were certain didn't have high rates of infection). Do we know if a similar philosophy is happening now? And I'm not trying to discredit the numbers. The number of infected is the number of infected.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

This begs the second question. What about those of us who will never get a test regardless.
You have to multiply me x 1,000,000 at least. And then how do you account for that

The third question is where are the negative test results in that 50,000 a day number. Not everyone being tested has covid 19. Where are those numbers in all this

I don't know - I was never good at math. But these new case numbers seem like they don't tell the entire story of what is really happening

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
From the very beginning, I have always hoped that Americans could view mask-wearing as PATRIOTIC. To me, it shouldn’t matter what your politics are... it’s just a sensible thing we all can do to help prevent spread of disease.

Truly, what could be more patriotic than everyone chipping in and doing their own part to help curb the spread of disease and therefore contribute to our economic recovery?

I mean... would ya wear a mask for Randolph Scott?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYoChoijvY

You’d wear a mask for Sean McVay?

ACF57336-7C89-4936-892A-6459666FFA04.jpeg

So you’d wear a mask to help the country we all love and call home, right?

1593730797768.gif

Truly not trying to be facetious here. (And please forgive me for using clips of Randolph Scott and McVay, just trying to add a touch of humor while making a serious point).

For those who are strongly against masks, I can respectfully disagree. And for those who believe that mask-wearing is not something to be “judgmental” about, I can totally respect that opinion as well. I’m just expressing my own opinion that if more Americans viewed mask-wearing as a patriotic act, we could be further along in our efforts to contain the spread, AND we’d have a stronger economy.

Last edited:

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i am so STOKED for halloween this year !!!!! can't wait to see the selection of masks that will be available to me ,................................ right ?!?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Side note on my above post to Dieter the Brock, since you’re a marketing guru... do ya think appeals to patriotism and civic duty might help increase support for mask-wearing? I mean, it’s gotta be more effective than bringing out Spuds McKenzie, right? :D

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
From the very beginning, I have always hoped that Americans could view mask-wearing as PATRIOTIC. To me, it shouldn’t matter what your politics are... it’s just a sensible thing we all can do to help prevent spread of disease.

Truly, what could be more patriotic than everyone chipping in and doing their own part to help curb the spread of disease and therefore contribute to our economic recovery?

I mean... would ya wear a mask for Randolph Scott?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYoChoijvY

You’d wear a mask for Sean McVay?

View attachment 37157
So you’d wear a mask to help the country we all love and call home, right?

View attachment 37158

Truly not trying to be facetious here. (And please forgive me for using clips of Randolph Scott and McVay, just trying to add a touch of humor while making a serious point).

For those who are strongly against masks, I can respectfully disagree. And for those who believe that mask-wearing is not something to be “judgmental” about, I can totally respect that opinion as well. I’m just expressing my own opinion that if more Americans viewed mask-wearing as a patriotic act, we could be further along in our efforts to contain the spread.

kqlqtyfs9ml11.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
Masks are pretty simple to me.

I wore one, plus a lot more before, I can do it again.

In terms of looking soft? Then get a cooler mask.

4802b23a43ac12623e0a0d203141fef9.jpg

That shit isn't soft.

2gEWXZH.jpg

I would hardly say that's a soft look either, both are wearing masks.

You don't have to wear a medical mask, you can wear all sorts of masks.

Here's another pretty cool one.

513EHMEIdjL._AC_.jpg

I don't mind wearing a mask because I got cool ones that look fucking dope. I've worn shemagh's that I had in Iraq and Afghanistan out, I wore a balaclava, I've worn other masks that I used in the military, I have a Boba Fett mask and some other Star Wars themed ones.

Get some cool masks and you wont feel as self conscious in them. Plus if you get cool masks they often times will do a better job of keeping fog from your lenses or things like that, and wearing a mask and sunglasses look plenty cool to me.

Seriously, I'm someone who values his privacy quite a bit, the idea that I can walk around with my face covered is fucking outstanding. I don't need random cameras getting ID's off me as I walk around. I hope we normalize mask wearing all together.

Just one step closer to guys being able to walk around in full Mandalorian gear.

And this shit is fucking dope.

ZQf3NyQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.