Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Looks like Kentucky is doing okay considering it’s about 65% mask wearing here

263F8C30-D12B-4E6A-85B8-0A82768AF965.png

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It’s the comparisons to other countries that just wrecks me. Every other wealthy nation took this seriously, has effectively suppressed this, and is now able to re-open. They can have school, sports, and their economies can resume.

Meanwhile, the US, to borrow a phrase from Days of Thunder, is out here looking like a monkey fucking a football. And STILL, we aren’t getting it. STILL, we would rather argue with reality than deal with it.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Curious - would you wear one if your governor or mayor mandated it?

Nope, if they arent paying me to perform a task, there is no reason. I wont cough on anyone and wont put myself in a position they could cough on me. I dont buy into the claims that covid particles are just floating around waiting for an unsuspecting person to walk by and inhale them.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Over 40k cases per day now. In 2 weeks or so the hospitals are going to be hammered.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Nope, if they arent paying me to perform a task, there is no reason. I wont cough on anyone and wont put myself in a position they could cough on me. I dont buy into the claims that covid particles are just floating around waiting for an unsuspecting person to walk by and inhale them.

So - even if there is a law in place to try to stop the spread, you won’t follow it because (1) you aren’t getting paid and (2) you don’t believe in it?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Welcome to the Freedom Cafe! We trust you to make your own choices if you want to wear a face mask. And, in the same spirit of individual liberty, we allow our staff to make their own choices about the safety procedures they prefer to follow as they prepare and serve your food.

We encourage employees to wash their hands after using the bathroom, but understand that some people may be allergic to certain soaps or may simply prefer not to wash their hands. It is not our place to tell them what to do.

We understand that you may be used to chicken that has been cooked to 165 degrees. We do have to respect that some of our cooks may have seen a meme or a YouTube video saying that 100 degrees is sufficient, and we do not want to encroach on their beliefs.

Some of our cooks may prefer to use the same utensils for multiple ingredients, including ingredients some customers are allergic to. That is a cook’s right to do so.

Some servers may wish to touch your food as they serve it. There is no reason that a healthy person with clean hands can’t touch your food. We will take their word for it that they are healthy and clean.

Water temperature and detergent are highly personal choices, and we allow our dishwashing team to decide how they’d prefer to wash the silverware you will put in your mouth.

Some of you may get sick, but almost everyone survives food poisoning. We think you’ll agree that it’s a small price to pay for the sweet freedom of no one ever being told what to do - and especially not for the silly reason of keeping strangers healthy.

credit to@libbyjones715

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I dont buy into the claims that covid particles are just floating around waiting for an unsuspecting person to walk by and inhale them.
Tiny droplets of water ("aerosolized particles") hang in the air for several minutes after people speak. This is established science, there is no debate about this.

Sounds gross, but yes-- when we walk around, we are inhaling tiny little droplets of water from other people's mouths all the time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=axmRl6P6xyw&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Welcome to the Freedom Cafe! We trust you to make your own choices if you want to wear a face mask. And, in the same spirit of individual liberty, we allow our staff to make their own choices about the safety procedures they prefer to follow as they prepare and serve your food.

We encourage employees to wash their hands after using the bathroom, but understand that some people may be allergic to certain soaps or may simply prefer not to wash their hands. It is not our place to tell them what to do.

We understand that you may be used to chicken that has been cooked to 165 degrees. We do have to respect that some of our cooks may have seen a meme or a YouTube video saying that 100 degrees is sufficient, and we do not want to encroach on their beliefs.

Some of our cooks may prefer to use the same utensils for multiple ingredients, including ingredients some customers are allergic to. That is a cook’s right to do so.

Some servers may wish to touch your food as they serve it. There is no reason that a healthy person with clean hands can’t touch your food. We will take their word for it that they are healthy and clean.

Water temperature and detergent are highly personal choices, and we allow our dishwashing team to decide how they’d prefer to wash the silverware you will put in your mouth.

Some of you may get sick, but almost everyone survives food poisoning. We think you’ll agree that it’s a small price to pay for the sweet freedom of no one ever being told what to do - and especially not for the silly reason of keeping strangers healthy.

credit to@libbyjones715
Thanks for posting this, love it.

Reminds me of the old saying about the law: " Your liberty to swing your fist ends just where my nose begins."
(My Dad told me about this phrase when I was a kid, and it's stayed with me my entire life. I think it's just brilliant. Really helps as a fundamental framework to think about how and why laws are created.)

By and large, people can do whatever the heck they want-- as long as it doesn't put others in danger. But if a behavior has a reasonable chance to put others in danger, laws are created to prevent it.

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
So - even if there is a law in place to try to stop the spread, you won’t follow it because (1) you aren’t getting paid and (2) you don’t believe in it?

If I felt that covid was a threat to me or my family I might wear a mask. Covid is not as easy to spread as the media is claiming. The case count is going up do to more testing, yet the % of positive tests has not changed. I dont hide from the flu, I've never had it either, there are so many things killing more people daily than covid that it makes the medias treatment of covid hypocritical. Masks arent stopping the spread, the spread will stop once we reach herd immunity, so lets just get it over with. If it makes high risk people feel better to isolate that is their right. If masks work then people that are concerned can wear a mask and protect themselves. I'm confident that my immune system will do its job if covid tries to infect my body, just like it does against the flu. Wearing a mask just causes my glasses to fog and I keep adjusting the mask and my glasses, which if I'm a carrier just contaminates anything I touch. I have not noticed 1 person wearing a mask in public that doesnt touch it at least once every couple minutes, so even the people claiming to be doing the right thing arent doing anything to slow the spread. Most people dont even wear them correctly, so they are doing no good to slow the spread. People die every day from smoking cigarettes and they havent banned smoking in public.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Over 40k cases per day now. In 2 weeks or so the hospitals are going to be hammered.

If the hospitals do start to get slammed they can always do what they did in March and April to empty them to make room for new cases. In my area of CA the hospitals have plenty of room and if they go back to eliminating elective surgeries they will have more than enough rooms. Their is no 1 size fits all when it comes to handling covid by region.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Ummm....?

So people have the right to kill others with cigarette smoke that we know kills millions every year, but we dont have the right to not wear a mask to maybe slow the spread of a disease that kills less than 0.5% of the people that catch it and the majority of those that catch it dont even get sick.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If I felt that covid was a threat to me or my family I might wear a mask. Covid is not as easy to spread as the media is claiming. The case count is going up do to more testing, yet the % of positive tests has not changed. I dont hide from the flu, I've never had it either, there are so many things killing more people daily than covid that it makes the medias treatment of covid hypocritical. Masks arent stopping the spread, the spread will stop once we reach herd immunity, so lets just get it over with. If it makes high risk people feel better to isolate that is their right. If masks work then people that are concerned can wear a mask and protect themselves. I'm confident that my immune system will do its job if covid tries to infect my body, just like it does against the flu. Wearing a mask just causes my glasses to fog and I keep adjusting the mask and my glasses, which if I'm a carrier just contaminates anything I touch. I have not noticed 1 person wearing a mask in public that doesnt touch it at least once every couple minutes, so even the people claiming to be doing the right thing arent doing anything to slow the spread. Most people dont even wear them correctly, so they are doing no good to slow the spread. People die every day from smoking cigarettes and they havent banned smoking in public.

Mitigation is an important word to understand in this context. Masks don’t stop COVID, they mitigate the spread. Seatbelts don’t stop deaths from car accidents, they mitigate. Mitigation matters.

Covid is a sobering test of society. It takes cooperation. You don’t wear the mask for you. It really isnt meant to help you. You wear the mask for others. You may have COVID and not know it - a lot of people do - and if you wear a mask, the chance you spread it goes way down. And you can spread it even without coughing in someone’s face - it could be the cashier checking you out at the grocery store, it could be someone in the next aisle.

Smoking in public has been banned in most places and so many more people wouldnt have been killed had they instituted those bans earlier.

% Positive is on the rise in many places - specifically places that have not mandated masks (or just recently did). There is data on this - its easy enough to find if you are interested.

I know everyone dies - and I know that we take a certain amount of risk in every day life. But society requires a certain level of togetherness - a certain level of care for your fellow man.

The mask is uncomfortable for me too. But I want to do my part. America hasn’t asked nearly as much of me as it has previous generations. I have been pretty spoiled, really. Now that I do have a part to play in keeping my country safe, I sure don’t want to fail because its too uncomfortable. I hope you will come around and play your part too.

Status
Not open for further replies.