Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well firstly, people in X's bracket ARE getting it.

For those that think it's "just the flu", read this

Everyone who sees this up close and personal is terrified of it. When virologists put on their serious hat, that's when to pay attention and they've got sweat stains in their serious hat right now.

Again, the reason China's curve has flattened was a BRUTAL quarantine. Now that restrictions are lifting, there is serious concern of a massive resurgence, especially since transmission is evident while individuals remain asymptomatic and younger people can be asymptomatic for as long as a week.

We know that the first known COVID-19 case was November 17th, was realized to be SARS-nCoV-2 in December and it took them until January 23rd (which included a MASSIVE travel holiday timeframe) to quarantine Wuhan City and while they started with public transport, there was still egress from Wuhan City for some time afterwards as they were still allowing cars to leave.

That's two months from the first case to quarantine. Chinese health agencies and the military actively went into the community and forcibly removed anyone with symptoms to halt the spread. There's been leaked videos coming of of Wuhan showing them dragging people away. Had they allowed the sick to remain at home, many, many more would have been infected due to remaining in close proximity with friends/family members sharing quarantine space.

So, look at the time frame.

First US patient had traveled to Wuhan and saw a health professional in Washington state on January 19th, 2020. We're right at that point where the graph was about to spike for China when they instituted the drastic measures they did. Our numbers only look so low especially with respect to testing due to the lack of tests.

Also, while the travel ban from China by foreign nationals was instituted on January 31st, 2020 (taking effect February 2, 2020 5pm EST), US citizens were still allowed in and if they passed a screening (which simply amounts to being asymptomatic at the time of screening), they were ASKED to self-quarantine. I can almost guarantee that there was nothing in place to track these people nor monitor any level of compliance. If they were asymptomatic, they were simply released into the wild. Thus, any assertion that "China travel was banned" as of 31 Jan 2020 is just not true. Moreover, those evacuated from the Hubei Province, specifically, were taken to Travis AFB in CA, where it was confirmed that the healthcare workers weren't given proper training, instruction or adequate safety gear and the lack of proper procedures allowed for community spread and contain was breached including one of the employees leaving via commercial air travel. The first non-contact related COVID case was near Travis AFB.

Now, a couple of things in our favor:

1) China has significant air pollution, much worse than in most places in the US. Much of the population also smokes, although the first US case was a non-smoker in generally good health. Environmental factors do play a role in our immune systems and as such, the fatality MAY end up being higher there due to environmental factors.

2) Both Italy and China not only share a higher percentage of smokers, but also Italy leads the world in multi-generational households. Part of Italy's issues very likely stem from their early nonchalance at the severity of the risk and that may be what has lead to the virus having such a devastating impact on people without medical history.

Things that give concern:

1) We still are not on lockdown and it's unlikely we could do that even if we wanted to. The US is very spread out and much of the nation's population are in cities or suburbs of cities. Moreover, most folks simply do not have the means to stock food for more than a few days. We don't have MREs for 329M people which means we are limited in how we do this.

2) City/State gov't HAD to shut down bars and meeting places because far too many people were congregating in numbers. March 15th, DisneyWorld's last night was PACKED. That means that there will be plenty of people newly infected even now. There is absolutely no contain on this and community spread is already rampant.

3) Ingress of returning citizens was about as bad as it could get as screenings (which only catch symptomatic people) forced people exiting flights to literally stand in crowded areas with people from all over Europe, Africa and Asia (coming from the East) for 3-5 hours only then to have to wait another 5 hours for baggage. Conditions like this were reported at multiple major east coast airports. Incidents like this only reinforce that new contagion is likely and it is environments like this which are breeding grounds for mutations.

Seeing as the R naught value (the rate of human to human spread) of the Corona virus is 2.2 (for historical perspective, the Spanish Flu was 1.8) means that this monster is gonna spread. The R naught value is NOT a measure of how deadly a virus, simply how easy it is to spread. Seasonal flu is 1.3.

What does that mean? Well it's exponential so for every 3 people with seasonal flu, you'd expect 4 people to become infected. At that rate, it would take in excess of 60 days to infect the entire planet not accounting for transmission limits. For COVID-19, a 2.2 puts that number down to 29 days (yes, I've seen 28 days later. Great movie) The point of this basic bit of math is that this bugger moves through the population which is why China went from playing politics to complete quarantine and ripping people from their homes in a matter of days.

TL;dr This was bad even if it stopped today, but it won't and the conditions are ripe for this to be horrific. While there are factors that MIGHT mitigate the effects in the US, there are also factors where it might be worse here due in part to our economics and our food logistics. Oh, and if you get it, it could be mild or it could literally make your lungs bleed and choke you out.

I know I'm not brief, but this info is important. Sorry for anyone who reads it all. It's a lot, I know.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well firstly, people in X's bracket ARE getting it.

Everyone who sees this up close and personal is terrified of it. When virologists put on their serious hat, that's when to pay attention and they've got sweat stains in their serious hat right now.

Again, the reason China's curve has flattened was a BRUTAL quarantine. Now that restrictions are lifting, there is serious concern of a massive resurgence, especially since transmission is evident while individuals remain asymptomatic and younger people can be asymptomatic for as long as a week.

We know that the first known COVID-19 case was November 17th, was realized to be SARS-nCoV-2 in December and it took them until January 23rd (which included a MASSIVE travel holiday timeframe) to quarantine Wuhan City and while they started with public transport, there was still egress from Wuhan City for some time afterwards as they were still allowing cars to leave.

That's two months from the first case to quarantine. Chinese health agencies and the military actively went into the community and forcibly removed anyone with symptoms to halt the spread. There's been leaked videos coming of of Wuhan showing them dragging people away. Had they allowed the sick to remain at home, many, many more would have been infected due to remaining in close proximity with friends/family members sharing quarantine space.

So, look at the time frame.

First US patient had traveled to Wuhan and saw a health professional in Washington state on January 19th, 2020. We're right at that point where the graph was about to spike for China when they instituted the drastic measures they did. Our numbers only look so low especially with respect to testing due to the lack of tests.

Also, while the travel ban from China by foreign nationals was instituted on January 31st, 2020 (taking effect February 2, 2020 5pm EST), US citizens were still allowed in and if they passed a screening (which simply amounts to being asymptomatic at the time of screening), they were ASKED to self-quarantine. I can almost guarantee that there was nothing in place to track these people nor monitor any level of compliance. If they were asymptomatic, they were simply released into the wild. Thus, any assertion that "China travel was banned" as of 31 Jan 2020 is just not true. Moreover, those evacuated from the Hubei Province, specifically, were taken to Travis AFB in CA, where it was confirmed that the healthcare workers weren't given proper training, instruction or adequate safety gear and the lack of proper procedures allowed for community spread and contain was breached including one of the employees leaving via commercial air travel. The first non-contact related COVID case was near Travis AFB.

Now, a couple of things in our favor:

1) China has significant air pollution, much worse than in most places in the US. Much of the population also smokes, although the first US case was a non-smoker in generally good health. Environmental factors do play a role in our immune systems and as such, the fatality MAY end up being higher there due to environmental factors.

2) Both Italy and China not only share a higher percentage of smokers, but also Italy leads the world in multi-generational households. Part of Italy's issues very likely stem from their early nonchalance at the severity of the risk and that may be what has lead to the virus having such a devastating impact on people without medical history.

Things that give concern:

1) We still are not on lockdown and it's unlikely we could do that even if we wanted to. The US is very spread out and much of the nation's population are in cities or suburbs of cities. Moreover, most folks simply do not have the means to stock food for more than a few days. We don't have MREs for 329M people which means we are limited in how we do this.

2) City/State gov't HAD to shut down bars and meeting places because far too many people were congregating in numbers. March 15th, DisneyWorld's last night was PACKED. That means that there will be plenty of people newly infected even now. There is absolutely no contain on this and community spread is already rampant.

3) Ingress of returning citizens was about as bad as it could get as screenings (which only catch symptomatic people) forced people exiting flights to literally stand in crowded areas with people from all over Europe, Africa and Asia (coming from the East) for 3-5 hours only then to have to wait another 5 hours for baggage. Conditions like this were reported at multiple major east coast airports. Incidents like this only reinforce that new contagion is likely and it is environments like this which are breeding grounds for mutations.

Seeing as the R naught value (the rate of human to human spread) of the Corona virus is 2.2 (for historical perspective, the Spanish Flu was 1.8) means that this monster is gonna spread. The R naught value is NOT a measure of how deadly a virus, simply how easy it is to spread. Seasonal flu is 1.3.

What does that mean? Well it's exponential so for every 3 people with seasonal flu, you'd expect 4 people to become infected. At that rate, it would take in excess of 60 days to infect the entire planet not accounting for transmission limits. For COVID-19, a 2.2 puts that number down to 29 days (yes, I've seen 28 days later. Great movie) The point of this basic bit of math is that this bugger moves through the population which is why China went from playing politics to complete quarantine and ripping people from their homes in a matter of days.

TL;dr This was bad even if it stopped today, but it won't and the conditions are ripe for this to be horrific. While there are factors that MIGHT mitigate the effects in the US, there are also factors where it might be worse here due in part to our economics and our food logistics. Oh, and if you get it, it could be mild or it could literally make your lungs bleed and choke you out.

I know I'm not brief, but this info is important. Sorry for anyone who reads it all. It's a lot, I know.

That description of the lung failure is terrifying for all adults.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But it's not about you. We all know young, fit people aren't affected greatly by this virus. But older people will die a horrible death. What about when you go and meet your parents and have the virus but don't know it. What then?

This virus spreads so quickly because we have no idea who has it or What we're touching in public hasn't already been contaminated by someone else who had the virus.

Once hospitals become overwhelmed then what? That's when older people and are fucked.

Fair point. But what about the fact that I HAVE TO go into buildings that house the elderly and already sick? I got ”scanned” 7 times yesterday alone when I was on call when I had to go to St Francis Hospital, Shriners, Prisma, and then a retirement home to fix elevators. I’m not alone either. We have 3 other dudes well into their 50’s doing the same.

And when I get tested and I don’t have the virus, then what? I’m immune? The virus is gone forever? No. I’m still likely to come into contact with it at some point because, like influenza, there’s no cure. Last year I posed the same risk to that same demographic if I had the flu virus or even the common cold (a coronavirus) and wasn’t aware of it.

If I start to show the slightest symptoms I’ll go ahead and take myself out of rotation and get tested (there are already testing sites around here). Until then, it’s necessary for me to not only run the risk of exposing others, but also myself. These facilities can’t function without elevators. Let’s also make it clear for the record, that I’m not young and I have a compromised immune system due to having had and beating cancer. So I know it’s not about me even though I’m electing to provide this essential service in order to get paid and support my family.

Still not scared though. I’ll practice good hygiene, wear the right PPE, and go on with my life knowing that from here on out, I can contract this virus, the h1n1 strain, influenza, or any other virus known or unknown. It’s just how it is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair point. But what about the fact that I HAVE TO go into buildings that house the elderly and already sick? I got ”scanned” 7 times yesterday alone when I was on call when I had to go to St Francis Hospital, Shriners, Prisma, and then a retirement home to fix elevators. I’m not alone either. We have 3 other dudes well into their 50’s doing the same.

And when I get tested and I don’t have the virus, then what? I’m immune? The virus is gone forever? No. I’m still likely to come into contact with it at some point because, like influenza, there’s no cure. Last year I posed the same risk to that same demographic if I had the flu virus or even the common cold (a coronavirus) and wasn’t aware of it.

If I start to show the slightest symptoms I’ll go ahead and take myself out of rotation and get tested (there are already testing sites around here). Until then, it’s necessary for me to not only run the risk of exposing others, but also myself. These facilities can’t function without elevators. Let’s also make it clear for the record, that I’m not young and I have a compromised immune system due to having had and beating cancer. So I know it’s not about me even though I’m electing to provide this essential service in order to get paid and support my family.

Still not scared though. I’ll practice good hygiene, wear the right PPE, and go on with my life knowing that from here on out, I can contract this virus, the h1n1 strain, influenza, or any other virus known or unknown. It’s just how it is.

well done man. you are definitely under the category of critical workers for the country.

and i wasn't having a go at you, just trying to share the seriousness of this disease.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
well done man. you are definitely under the category of critical workers for the country.

and i wasn't having a go at you, just trying to share the seriousness of this disease.

I know that. We’re cool.

fearsomefour

Legend
Cool. I love conspiracy theories, but mostly because their just fun. This whole thing is starting to irk me though. All the amateur epidemiologists that haven't bothered to look up any of the free information online about are buying me. I didn't mean to be a jerk or anything.
You weren’t a jerk at all.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The death and infection rate for swine flu was massively higher than Wuhan flu and that was hardly talked about in the media or by people. There was no quarantining entire countries and there was no social panic. Now I'm not saying that reaction was right or wrong but look at it in logically. Close to a billion people contracted swine flu and so far per the site that keeps getting linked 307,277 confirmed cases world wide. Yes that number will grow nobody is disputing that but the reaction isn't proportional. Yes people absolutely need to take this serious and perhaps the quarantine procedures hopefully will help us so the Wuhan flu doesn't reach those levels. But there are absolutely reasons why people are reacting to the quarantines the way they are. Doesn't make anybody right or wrong just makes us humans.

Where are you getting that info? Thats the opposite of what I am seeing. To be clear, we are comparing one epidemic which has run its course to another in its early stages - which is impossible, but I keep seeing things like this:

“In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.”

or on the more conservative side - this:

”[the mortality rate] is probably about or a bit less than 1%. Much higher figures have been flying about, but the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, is one of those who believes it will prove to be 1% or lower. The World Health Organization’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked of 3.4%, but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases. We know there are many more mild cases that do not get to hospital and are not being counted, which would bring the mortality rate significantly down.”

Now clearly studying a virus in its infancy, the numbers aren’t fully trustworthy - but swine flu (or American Flu if we are naming them after their point of origin) was .02%

I wont pretend to know what the final mortality rate for COVID-19 will be - but I don’t see anyone out there with even an undergraduate science degree suggesting that it is or will end up being less than .02 percent.

Is there a big difference between .02 percent and 1 percent? It would mean that it is 50 times more deadly - and that is using the most conservative number out there (at least in the scientific community) - I’m sure you can find pundits saying that its good for you.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As some of you might know I am a freelance lighting guy for live events. I travel the country working concerts.. or I did until 3 weeks ago.

Bad time to be stagehand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where are you getting that info? Thats the opposite of what I am seeing. To be clear, we are comparing one epidemic which has run its course to another in its early stages - which is impossible, but I keep seeing things like this:

“In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.”

or on the more conservative side - this:

”[the mortality rate] is probably about or a bit less than 1%. Much higher figures have been flying about, but the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, is one of those who believes it will prove to be 1% or lower. The World Health Organization’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked of 3.4%, but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases. We know there are many more mild cases that do not get to hospital and are not being counted, which would bring the mortality rate significantly down.”

Now clearly studying a virus in its infancy, the numbers aren’t fully trustworthy - but swine flu (or American Flu if we are naming them after their point of origin) was .02%

I wont pretend to know what the final mortality rate for COVID-19 will be - but I don’t see anyone out there with even an undergraduate science degree suggesting that it is or will end up being less than .02 percent.

Is there a big difference between .02 percent and 1 percent? It would mean that it is 50 times more deadly - and that is using the most conservative number out there (at least in the scientific community) - I’m sure you can find pundits saying that its good for you.
Google swine flu CDC estimates on the low end in the US were 200-400k people and 12,500 deaths. Worldwide estimates were close to 600k deaths.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Google swine flu CDC estimates on the low end in the US were 200-400k people and 12,500 deaths. Worldwide estimates were close to 600k deaths.

but didn’t 760,000,000 people get it? Is there a dispute about the .02% mortality rate for H1N1?

I think the point is that this may be nearly as contagious but much more deadly

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
but didn’t 760,000,000 people get it? Is there a dispute about the .02% mortality rate for H1N1?

I think the point is that this may be nearly as contagious but much more deadly
Statistics vary for this one and then. My point still stands the media attention and the reaction of the general public between the two outbreaks are vastly different and I don't know anybody who can reasonably argue that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's not fair, Mac. Nobody thinks it's literally "just the flu". The only comparisons drawn between the two (by me, at least) is that they both present the same symptoms, both can be mild or severe, both affect certain groups of people more than others, and both can be deadly. This one is perhaps deadly in its own bastardized way, but it's no more or less deadly than the flu when 'specific demographics' are exposed to it - or h1n1 - or any other of the long line of coronaviruses that have preceded it. If I'm honest though, I don't think you're giving influenza its just due. 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year isn't something that warrants a "just" qualifier. Bring the flu into a nursing home or CCU and see what havoc it wreaks. Hell, it still kills children.

So look. If Covid-19 eats you up in a new or different (albeit horrible) way, then that's just its worst case scenario. Am I being any less informative if I say that you can end up with a slight fever, a cough, and then a week or so later be good to go again? Because you can. Or is my opinion on this valid only if I become terrified and pay attention to only the worst case scenarios while ignoring what's being done to develop yet another vaccine for this (yet another) new virus? I just choose, while being informed, what I'm being fed. And hysteria isn't on my menu. I can be smart about this and not succumb to fear and paranoia. It's a choice.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Statistics vary for this one and then. My point still stands the media attention and the reaction of the general public between the two outbreaks are vastly different and I don't know anybody who can reasonably argue that.

no argument there - we didn’t shut down society for H1N1.

The question then, is why - right?

it could be any number of things - just to name a few:

a. Everyone wants to wreck the economy because (insert conspiracy theory here)

b. The media is trying to stir up a frenzy for (insert conspiracy theory here)

c. This particular virus is way more dangerous than the ones we have seen before

I’m saying (c) is the most likely. If I’m being honest, I can’t totally discount (a).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All the amateur epidemiologists that haven't bothered to look up any of the free information online about are buying me. I didn't mean to be a jerk or anything.
You're not. I don't claim to be an epidemiologist; but then again, everyone who isn't an epidemiologist isn't an epidemiologist. So, you know, the media can just shut the fuck up if that's the criteria for weighing in on it. And I wish they would. I don't need to hear from another "expert panel" full of people who have no more of an ability to study data than I do.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
You're not. I don't claim to be an epidemiologist; but then again, everyone who isn't an epidemiologist isn't an epidemiologist. So, you know, the media can just shut the fuck up if that's the criteria for weighing in on it. And I wish they would. I don't need to hear from another "expert panel" full of people who have no more of an ability to study data than I do.
No shit, right? I don't watch the news, so I can't completely sympathize with the panel of idiots. However, there are tons of non-doctor, non-epidemiologist, non-relevant-profession people trying to weigh in from news anchors, economists, political activists, and online opinion article writers.

I have a guy at work who is absolutely livid that anybody is doing anything about this because he thinks it's less deadly, less contagious, and more easily defeated than the regular flu. To top it off, he got sick last week so I had to tell him to work from home for 2 weeks. He's pissed.

I just want to tell him that people much smarter than him have said it's a big deal and he needs to calm down and get with the program.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have a guy at work who is absolutely livid that anybody is doing anything about this because he thinks it's less deadly, less contagious, and more easily defeated than the regular flu. To top it off, he got sick last week so I had to tell him to work from home for 2 weeks. He's pissed.
Well he's dumb. How can something be more easily defeated when it doesn't have a vaccine and nobody has antibodies in their systems for it yet? You made the right call there. Hell, I'd have given him a month. But then you run the risk of him procreating, so you kinda gotta weigh the options there.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Finally, there was not a similar response to the h1n1 Virus Just a decade ago. None of what we are seeing now happened then. 12,000+ people died in the U.S.,, and it didn’t come close to feeling like the apocalyptic event that it does now. it may sound like a tinfoil hat statement, but this almost feels like a test run for something much much bigger. Or it could just be the way society is now. We are so oversensitve to aggression, in every form, that the response has to match the PERCEIVED level of the threat. I don’t know man. There’s just something really “off” about this whole thing.

Here's are the reasons:

1. Social media. 2009 when swine flu happened, we really only had FB. Twitter was a baby. Not only have those things risen exponentially, you got more SM platforms, and they all let you take and post instant live video. So you have people posting live fights at the super market, which go viral (pun intended), and it make it seem like the norm.

CeeZar

Rookie

Many reasons. But this is the big one. When you got H1N1 you got sick and you got sick within 1-2 days. So you stayed home or went to the hospital and got treated. There wasn't a high percentage of people with H1N1 running around the world infecting other people.

With this one you can get it and not get sick at all, or get mildly sick, or not get sick for 5-10 days. All this time you are out spreading it. So a shit ton more people are going to get it. And they are going to all get it in a very short period of time.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Here's are the reasons:

1. Social media. 2009 when swine flu happened, we really only had FB. Twitter was a baby. Not only have those things risen exponentially, you got more SM platforms, and they all let you take and post instant live video. So you have people posting live fights at the super market, which go viral (pun intended), and it make it seem like the norm.

But does that explain why the CDC and WHO and others are making these recommendations when they didn’t last time? Social media may explain the public frenzy but not necessarily the professional response.

Status
Not open for further replies.