Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Many reasons. But this is the big one. When you got H1N1 you got sick and you got sick within 1-2 days. So you stayed home or went to the hospital and got treated. There wasn't a high percentage of people with H1N1 running around the world infecting other people.

With this one you can get it and not get sick at all, or get mildly sick, or not get sick for 5-10 days. All this time you are out spreading it. So a shit ton more people are going to get it. And they are going to all get it in a very short period of time.

That’s interesting - thanks for the perspective.

So it isn’t necessarily more contagious, just harder to recognize when you or someone else is contagious - right?

Oh, and also apparently kills at a much higher rate.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
But does that explain why the CDC and WHO and others are making these recommendations when they didn’t last time? Social media may explain the public frenzy but not necessarily the professional response.

SM has a lot of crackpots on it spreading rumors and WTF conspiracies that undermine or bury the facts.

The only thing the professionals say are so simple...stay away from everyone and wash your hands.

Public: BUY EVERYTHING OMGZ

I had 2 other points that tied everything together that got edited out, but whatevs.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
15849041117832314562285946374335.jpg
social distancing Nevada style.
15849041895948806505631139225111.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looks like we're at 31,000 infected now with 322 deaths. So the mortality rate in the US is now at 1.0%.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s interesting - thanks for the perspective.

So it isn’t necessarily more contagious, just harder to recognize when you or someone else is contagious - right?

Oh, and also apparently kills at a much higher rate.
My understanding of it is that for the above reasons it is 3x more contagious than the flu which is crazy. And as we can see with our mortality rates in the US thus far it's going to be quite low provided the hospitals don't get overrun.

But of course if people are acting like entitled asswipes in the big cities (which is happening right now people out in LA for example in groups) the regions that do get overrun will see a higher mortality rate probably closer to that of Italy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW on March 11th we were at 2.9% mortality rate. So we've seen a dip of 1.9% in twelve days.

Hopefully this continues to the low tenths of percent range.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
My understanding of it is that for the above reasons it is 3x more contagious than the flu which is crazy. And as we can see with our mortality rates in the US thus far it's going to be quite low provided the hospitals don't get overrun.

But of course if people are acting like entitled asswipes in the big cities (which is happening right now people out in LA for example in groups) the regions that do get overrun will see a higher mortality rate probably closer to that of Italy.

What do you mean? People are going to the hospital who shouldn’t?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By entitled asswipes I mean incapable of maintaining social distancing to help spread this thing over time so the hospitals aren't overrun.

bluecoconuts

Legend
BTW on March 11th we were at 2.9% mortality rate. So we've seen a dip of 1.9% in twelve days.

As testing goes up we'll get more positive cases and the death rate will go down.

Right now our numbers are probably significantly higher than 31,000 across the country. I'd guess we're probably closer or even north of 100,000.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Many people are going to the hospital fearing that they have coronavirus and are going to die, due to the media coverage. At least a couple hospitals if not all in Stockton are screening people before allowing them in. People dont hear anything other than people are dying, and dont follow the protocol that has been issued. Instead of calling their Dr or checking their temperature they just rush to the hospital, which is the worst thing they could do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As testing goes up we'll get more positive cases and the death rate will go down.

Right now our numbers are probably significantly higher than 31,000 across the country. I'd guess we're probably closer or even north of 100,000.
I agree bc. But just sticking to verifiable numbers as we track this forward.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That's not fair, Mac. Nobody thinks it's literally "just the flu". The only comparisons drawn between the two (by me, at least) is that they both present the same symptoms, both can be mild or severe, both affect certain groups of people more than others, and both can be deadly. This one is perhaps deadly in its own bastardized way, but it's no more or less deadly than the flu when 'specific demographics' are exposed to it - or h1n1 - or any other of the long line of coronaviruses that have preceded it. If I'm honest though, I don't think you're giving influenza its just due. 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year isn't something that warrants a "just" qualifier. Bring the flu into a nursing home or CCU and see what havoc it wreaks. Hell, it still kills children.

So look. If Covid-19 eats you up in a new or different (albeit horrible) way, then that's just its worst case scenario. Am I being any less informative if I say that you can end up with a slight fever, a cough, and then a week or so later be good to go again? Because you can. Or is my opinion on this valid only if I become terrified and pay attention to only the worst case scenarios while ignoring what's being done to develop yet another vaccine for this (yet another) new virus? I just choose, while being informed, what I'm being fed. And hysteria isn't on my menu. I can be smart about this and not succumb to fear and paranoia. It's a choice.

Unfortunately, I keep reading and hearing from folks who do literally think this is "just another flu" and it's a hoax and they don't understand why Trump is going along with this. I'm not inferring anyone here feels that way, although I do think some are significantly underestimating this.

Couple things. I live in Florida where assholes are STILL congregating at apartment pools and at various churches and MALLS. Holy fuck... I mean, I can't even with these people.

Also, my daughter died of acute interstitial pneumonia in what the Chief Coroner of LA County said was the worst case of infant pneumonia he'd seen in his 30+ years of practice. I'm intimately familiar with how pneumonia affects children. I've also been hospitalized with pneumonia multiple times and nearly died twice, the one incident was so bad that the Dr told me that I should have died before I got to the hospital and they were surprised I lived once I'd started to recover. None of this knowledge was acquired easily and I'd be perfectly happy to go back and have none of it.

What I mean by that is NOT to be confrontational, but rather to make clear that this is not panic... this is INFORMED information aggregation.

I've spent enough time on stuff like this that at the very least, I KNOW the voices I need to pay attention to and those voices have been screaming themselves hoarse trying to sound the alarm.

The flu is a motherfucker and this is NOT the flu. It's significantly more contagious, patients can go from bad to critical MUCH faster than any influenza variant and unlike all, but the worst of pneumonias resulting from the flu, the damage from this tends to be permanent as the very treatment, ventilators on max pressure, compound the problem of inflamed alveoli causing them to burst. That's permanent lung damage.

I think it's possible to understand the real scope of this AND function. I don't think it's a binary situation where one has to revert to "well, I take what precautions I can and that's it, so why worry beyond that". Your opinion is as valid as any other opinion. I would never say otherwise.

At the same time, we must elevate fact and science over opinion. When the facts and science are pointing to a crisis, it isn't paranoia or hysteria to use those facts and that science to make sound decisions. I wholeheartedly agree that hoarding toilet paper isn't sound decision making.

It is true that MOST people who get this won't have issues, especially if they are young and healthy. And, at the same time, we've only seen the beginning of this. And even if the mortality rate falls to 1%, based on community spread that's 1M people dying in just the US.

China had a brutal quarantine. Italy has surpassed China in deaths due to lackadaisical initial response. Germany is way behind in this curve and they're still not quarantining to stop the spread before it starts. US is not and may not be able to quarantine in place for the month it seems to take to get new cases to zero.

My point in all this is to inform myself and to do my best to inform others from my direct family to my extended families (like ROD). Forewarned is forearmed. As the pattern guy, I see these patterns. They tend to be very real and not so much A Beautiful Mind.

With something like this, it's far better to err on the side of caution. For those that are, this isn't really meant for you. For those underestimating this threat, I can only ask them to reevaluate.

I'll use this thread as an example. The severity was KNOWN months ago, although we couldn't know the true R naught value to understand how quickly this would spread. The Dr in China who raised the alarm died of the disease.

I really am not panicking or trying to induce panic. Rather, my only goal in this convo is to emphasize exactly how serious this is so that people can be as mindful as their situation allows and act prudently to safeguard themselves, their families and their communities.

I love you all and want everyone to come out of this on the other side so that we can turn to more important things... like injecting some positive into the Game Day Threads...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

We're about to see a spike in NYC. COVID has gotten into Rikers and since the NY DAs office didn't do what a lot of jurisdictions did and release non-violent offenders who are only there due to bail, there are something like 12k prisoners in ideal conditions for community spread.

I only really know about Florida, but yeah... that whole social distancing thing isn't being taken by a LOT of people here.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

That's in large part due to the increase in testing. We're only now entering the timeframe for mortality to spike so that number for the US wasn't ever gonna be accurate unless we were doing testing like in South Korea which we weren't.

Point being that the drop isn't a function of us getting a better handle on contain, but rather putting us closer to the reality of where we are actually at on the curve. We'll know more over the next two weeks.

If mortality hasn't spiked by then, we may be able to avoid the worst. So much is critical over the next two weeks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're about to see a spike in NYC. COVID has gotten into Rikers and since the NY DAs office didn't do what a lot of jurisdictions did and release non-violent offenders who are only there due to bail, there are something like 12k prisoners in ideal conditions for community spread.

I only really know about Florida, but yeah... that whole social distancing thing isn't being taken by a LOT of people here.
I'm of the mind that they should infect all the prisoners and get it over with. I also think prisoners who are serving life sentences should be used for medical testing programs but in this day and age that type of thing would never be allowed and maybe that's a good thing. :ROFLMAO:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm of the mind that they should infect all the prisoners and get it over with. I also think prisoners who are serving life sentences should be used for medical testing programs but in this day and age that type of thing would never be allowed and maybe that's a good thing. :ROFLMAO:

This day and age meaning every day after the 8th amendment to the US Constitution was adopted.

I know everyone likes to think that everyone in prison deserves to be there - that they are all horrible people who did horrible things - and certainly some of them, heck, maybe even many of them are. But they are still people.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

The problem is that MOST prisoners are in jail for non-violent offenses or inability to afford cash bail. Infecting prisoners is a horrible idea. It also exposes staff and creates a vector for community spread.

Also, the Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. Experimenting on prisoners is exactly that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

“A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals.”
-Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Status
Not open for further replies.