Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have to assume that you know that the overwhelming number of people that have died were over 65 yrs of age, and the majority of that number were over 80 yrs of age.

It's simply because of the immune system.
https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/guide/seniors-boost-immunity#1

Couple a weaker immune system with pre-existing conditions of things like obesity, diabetes etc and these older, elderly people are unfortunately very susceptible to common illnesses like the common cold, influenza and other viruses. It's always been like this. Covid has just magnified the complications and mortality rate among this demographic.

The number of "younger people" (under 65+) who have died from Covid are simply outliers of the bigger picture which i explained above. Kind of like the poor guy who eats right, exercises every day and then drops from a heart attack at the age of 40. Then there's the guy who smokes a pack a day, eats Taco Bell and watches tv for a living yet lives to be 90. Genes play a part as well but you get the idea.

We're talking about a World population here. BIG number, and yet the death model is clear. If you're over 65 and aren't healthy Covid is very dangerous...much like getting the flu is moderately dangerous if you're over 65 and unhealthy.

It's not a super virus.
I'm going to add that there is probably a pretty good chance that more than 10% of a given population has had the virus or maybe even currently does.

If the UK is estimating that 1% CURRENTLY has it, I'm going to GUESS that the number is higher. No numbers to back me up though.

This virus is going to do what it will. We know it has already morphed into a second version - unless it's really just like another version like the flu.

So let's close down the country because yet again, we simply don't know. Sounds like we'd be once again using sound scientific facts over knee jerk reaction. :hmm:

Meanwhile, I just brewed up some 66%+ solution of hand sanitizer using grain alcohol, aloe, and baby oil for all to use while making sure everyone uses masks to serve and associate. And still I don't believe it will make two shits of a difference in the long run.

The at risk should not risk it. But don't destroy my industry with bad science and politics.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So here's the thing. If 1% have it currently by UK estimates, wouldn't that say that even more would have tested positive over the months?

While my math was clearly flawed, doesn't it also go to figure that all the other numbers are as well depending on how you use them?

We have a high percentage but an even higher rate of tests compared to all but a few countries.

Lock downs haven't worked in reality. Non lock downs haven't worked in reality.

About the only way to compare would be to lock down during EVERY cold or flu season. We ready for that?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All that is being asked is for ppl to wear masks in crowded places and try to social distance.

So again... is there any hypothetical disease— which primarily attacks the old and infirm— which could or should be considered a “big deal”?
Why do you care what people do in crowded places? If you see someone not doing that, then avoid them. It's simple enough. You're not gonna get 100% compliance from 100% of the people in the Western Hemisphere, so you gotta do what's best for you.

And, I think I already made it abundantly clear that it's a big deal for the elderly. I didn't mince any words.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
You didn’t answer my question though.

Your mention of the approx 60k who died from the flu in 2018 is a fair point. Nobody seemed to notice then, but they sure are now.

But the mention of the “20 something person driving alone in their car with a mask” is a straw man. Nobody is advocating for that, and the person who does so is an idiot.

All that is being asked is for ppl to wear masks in crowded places and try to social distance.

So again... is there any hypothetical disease— which primarily attacks the old and infirm— which could or should be considered a “big deal”?
When the people that wear masks, start doing so without touching their mask and everything in reach, wearing masks will possibly help. But with well over half the people that wear masks wearing them below their nose and at least 80% touching/adjusting their mask every few minutes, mask wearing isnt doing shit to help anyone. When I contracted covid I was wearing a mask most of the time I was around anyone outside of my home. The biggest exception was at the grocery store, because I like to be able to read my list and move right on through with all these super spreaders bringing their entire family. Most of which wear their mask below their nose and almost all of which are touching their masks and everything else in reach. So I use hand sanitizer and avoid touching my hands to my face until I have sanitized them after exiting the store. Its possible I caught it at the store, but its also possible I caught it at Kaiser when I was there for a Dr appointment or the lab for blood work. Or at any of the retirement homes or assisted living facilities that require wearing a mask and rely on temperature checks as their way of determining a person doesnt have covid. Problem is many people that have covid dont get a fever.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

The biggest problem with a lockdown twice the life cycle of the virus is that a large % of people are considered essential workers and as such cannot lockdown and many will be in contact with dozens if not hundreds of people every day. Not many have the luxury of being stocked up enough on food and supplies to not need to venture out for groceries at some point over the 28 days. I do think their are good options as far as therapeutics to treat anyone that may need treatment. Maybe treatment should just be given as soon as someone tests positive instead of waiting till they become hospitalized.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
When the people that wear masks, start doing so without touching their mask and everything in reach, wearing masks will possibly help. But with well over half the people that wear masks wearing them below their nose and at least 80% touching/adjusting their mask every few minutes, mask wearing isnt doing shit to help anyone.
Yeah, the overwhelming majority of scientists completely disagree with you. Touching one’s face is NOT a major way this disease is spread. (Many scientists mistakenly thought this back in Jan-Feb-March, but starting approx early April, the scientific consensus has been AGAINST the theory of transmission via surface touching). Ever since early April, the vast majority of scientists have been sending the same consistent message: the main mode of transmission of Covid is by droplets being ejected from one persons mouth and landing directly on another person’s mouth, nose, or eyes.

But again, facts don’t matter. The “overwhelming majority scientific opinion” doesn’t matter either. Some people just believe what they want to believe.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, the overwhelming majority of scientists completely disagree with you. Touching one’s face is NOT a major way this disease is spread. (Many scientists mistakenly thought this back in Jan-Feb-March, but starting approx early April, the scientific consensus has been AGAINST the theory of transmission via surface touching).
Yeah, I don't know about your timeline there. It was just last month that the CDC revised their guidance (as seen here). And they still recommend washing hands frequently and cleaning touched surfaces. If that's not a mode of transmission, and the majority of "scientists" don't believe it, then the CDC should probably remove that from their guidance.

The previous month, the CDC posted a “draft version of proposed changes” that said the virus could spread through aerosols, and recommended people use air purifiers to reduce airborne germs indoors to stop the disease from spreading, warning that poorly ventilated places increase the risk of spreading. That updated guidance was said to be in error and quickly removed. So, you'll have to excuse people that are annoyingly wading around in a field of "scientific experts" who can't seem to get on a fucking page together for almost a year now.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't know about your timeline there. It was just last month that the CDC revised their guidance (as seen here). And they still recommend washing hands frequently and cleaning touched surfaces. If that's not a mode of transmission, and the majority of "scientists" don't believe it, then the CDC should probably remove that from their guidance.

The previous month, the CDC posted a “draft version of proposed changes” that said the virus could spread through aerosols, and recommended people use air purifiers to reduce airborne germs indoors to stop the disease from spreading, warning that poorly ventilated places increase the risk of spreading. That updated guidance was said to be in error and quickly removed. So, you'll have to excuse people that are annoyingly wading around in a field of "scientific experts" who can't seem to get on a fucking page together for almost a year now.
Key line is, “That updated guidance was said to be in error and quickly removed.”

That isn’t about CDC scientists disagreeing with each other.

That’s about CDC scientists bowing to undue political influence.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Key line is, “That updated guidance was said to be in error and quickly removed.”

That isn’t about CDC scientists disagreeing with each other.

That’s about CDC scientists bowing to undue political influence.
K then.

GIF-Amused-Chuckle-Chuffed-Pleased-Point-Point-and-laugh-GIF.gif

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I could give a dozen examples of the administration unduly influencing and undermining the CDC, but that would get into “political” territory.

Already posted some, but it was deleted.

Who’s got the ear of POTUS? The top team of epidemiologists at the CDC? Or a radiologist named Atlas who has zero formal training in epidemiology?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, I could give a dozen examples of the administration unduly influencing and undermining the CDC, but that would get into “political” territory.

Already posted some, but it was deleted.

Who’s got the ear of POTUS? The top team of epidemiologists at the CDC? Or a radiologist named Atlas who has zero formal training in epidemiology?
It’s fine, man. We just don’t see this even remotely the same. No big.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Paul Alexander in email to Redfield at CDC:

“Nothing to go out unless I read and agree with the findings how they CDC, wrote it and I tweak it to ensure it is fair and balanced and 'complete’.”

And Caputo, from the administration, looks at the CDC guidelines, doesn’t like them, and then accuses the CDC of “sedition.”

Tons of other examples

The adversarial relationship between the administration and the CDC is well documented

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Paul Alexander in email to Redfield at CDC:

“Nothing to go out unless I read and agree with the findings how they CDC, wrote it and I tweak it to ensure it is fair and balanced and 'complete’.”

And Caputo, from the administration, looks at the CDC guidelines, doesn’t like them, and then accuses the CDC of “sedition.”

Tons of other examples

The adversarial relationship between the administration and the CDC is well documented
Sure, sure. No, you're right. They never contradicted themselves, changed their information, altered their findings, misreported results, fucked up the way they code deaths, changed their stance on masks, or ... anything, really. They're the cat's meow, man. It's all that one guy. He's the source of every(any)thing wrong.

Psycho_X

Legend

Wait, where is here? I literally just strolled to the local public health building friday where they have a tent set up in the parking lot and they jabbed me with a flu shot within 5 minutes and was done for free... well free with my godsend insurance. But think anyone can get one for $40 or $65 for the super version for older people without insurance.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I really wouldn't care what who did with or what if it wasn't killing our country.

Pick your poison. 99.9% chance this will not do any real harm to you or 100% our economy is ruined for the rest of our (most of our) lives.

Scientists and physicians are myopic. They unintentionally kill people all the time.

Really disturbs me all this trust is given Fauci as the ONE guy to listen about this yet he can not acknowledge for a nano second how many lives this is ruining while he alone is spewing academic remedies. The man has corrupted tens of millions of minds. Interesting the rest of the world doesn't listen to the guy.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Yep. Talk about moving the goal posts.... Yet those who do not blindly accept the word of the epidemiologist of the week are somehow cave people. I don't get it..... but then again, I am a caveman.

A caveman who masks up in all public places that require it...just to be clear.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So the US is on an exponential curve for their daily results now.

Exponential.

You need to get it under control. Stop testing.

Here in Australia the numbers have dropped all the way down to hovering around 10 a day. Victoria has just come out of it's lockdown. Let's hope they don't screw it up again.

NSW did a great job after some Victorians came up and spread the virus around Sydney and country towns. Once it got to 20 a day in nsw i thought it was all over and it would run rampant again. But the tracing personnel did a wonderful job tracking down all the people who may have come in contact with the infected people. Got them into isolation quickly and nipped it in the bud after a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.