Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Way to beat the test Paul!
giphy.gif

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
So, I woke up this morning and it was a little hard to breathe. I made an appointment to get tested, but I had to do a virtual visit with my doctor first. I asked for a rapid-results test because i don't wanna sit around for 3 days missing work and waiting for results, but she told me that they stopped administering those due to the fact that the results aren't trustworthy - too many false positives. Okay, so I'm gonna get a regular test that should take 2 days to get back. BUT. She told me THOSE have been coming back with false negatives about 30% of the time, so in the event I don't test positive, she wants me to get another one.

1525872208-simon-cowell-facepalm.gif

Miss work 2-3 days waiting for results. Take another one if it's negative.
Rinse, repeat.

Hope everything turns out well for you. Not much you can do but try to use your time off to relax and get some rest. Remember vitamins C, D and zinc are supposed to aid in combatting the virus. My employer gave me 80 hrs covid PTO and 40hrs family care PTO which covered my 3 weeks off work. I could have returned a week earlier by CDC guidelines. but if they want to pay me to stay home I'm not gonna fight it.

Guess I was a little late, glad you tested negative.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
smaller aerosols which are not subject to gravity
I was really not going to respond. And also I know grabbing a small portion of text can be disingenuous. And I know exactly what you meant and I don't mean to portray it otherwise. However, I laughed when the "follow the science" guy said something wasn't subject to gravity. Again, I know you mean that they are light enough to carry on air currents, etc. Just the thought was funny is all. You're decent cat and I am really not trying to antagonize you.

I can't say I agree with a whole bunch of what you said about the original transmission methods assumptions and what they mean, but you were less of a dick about it then I was. And I'm sorry for that.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
In case anyone was curious about the fomite issue I was discussing earlier, here's some articles from earlier in the year.

This one casts some doubt on fomites, but it came out in July and I wouldn't call that early in the pandemic:

This one basically dispels fomites entirely, but also addresses the idea that it was viewed as the primary method of spread early on (also is from a shitty source, so take it with a grain of salt or better yet, ignore it completely):

View: https://elemental.medium.com/amp/p/30430384e5a5

This is the WHO from late March, says the primary is droplets, airborne isn't a thing, and fomites is a possibility that needs more research:

I don't know who Clinicians Brief is, but it sounds reputable (which is worth almost nothing). It again mentions droplets, but then starts in on fomites pretty heavy as a means of transmission:

That last article sites serve as an interesting example of how scientists aren't always... How can I say this? Honest and portraying reality? It talks about fomites, then talks about pets. Then it says pets can't serve as fomites. Well no shit! Earlier they defined a fomite as an inanimate object. Pets aren't inanimate, therefore not fomites. They didn't lie, but also didn't answer the question we wanted to ask.

Then, after saying plastic and metal are the surfaces covid-19 lives on longest they state that lets can get it, but no evidence exists that pet related objects can be fomites. They didn't say they can't. And given that objects like food and water dishes (which they specifically mention) are usually made of metal or plastic and are high interaction points with the spit/slobber/mucus portions of a pet, it's reasonable to have that concern. But the article says there's "no evidence" which isn't the same as, saying it isn't possible or is extremely unlikely or we've done studies and haven't found it to be a reasonable method of transmission. "no evidence" can mean anything from they tried to find evidence and couldn't because it probably doesn't exist all the way to they didn't correct it because they don't want to have to tell you that Fluffy have you covid (or they are concerned with thousands of pets being suddenly abandoned or killed at home in order to save the family or some such nonsense).

EDIT: In summary, I'm willing to attend partially corrected. Fomites were consistently mentioned early on as a possible transmission path due to droplets falling on them from coughing/sneezing/breathing/talking that needed more research but they weren't the main path as I stated previously. It is interesting to note that the rules governor Newsome put in place around food serving, which are similar to rules currently in place for a bar owner I know in the Bay Area, seem awfully like things you would do to prevent fomites. If you weren't worried about fomites but you were worried people being coughed on, designating one person as the mash potatoes server seems like the way to ensure that person gets covid. Self serve seems like the way to keep people from interacting and coughing on each other but it increases fomite related risk.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
First cold of the season, office freaks out and I get a couple sick days while I come home drink a bunch of OJ and take some dayquil/nyquil and feel infinitely better doing this at home.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
First cold of the season, office freaks out and I get a couple sick days while I come home drink a bunch of OJ and take some dayquil/nyquil and feel infinitely better doing this at home.

When I had covid, I was willing to bet it was just a cold. Having had covid makes it hard to believe the media hype. I laugh when people freak out when I tell them I had covid. I encourage anyone that has concerns about covid to talk to your Dr. they will not hype it up and try to scare you, they will tell you the truth and possibly relieve your anxiety about a virus that is not very dangerous if you are reasonably healthy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
When I had covid, I was willing to bet it was just a cold. Having had covid makes it hard to believe the media hype. I laugh when people freak out when I tell them I had covid. I encourage anyone that has concerns about covid to talk to your Dr. they will not hype it up and try to scare you, they will tell you the truth and possibly relieve your anxiety about a virus that is not very dangerous if you are reasonably healthy.
Yeah the lady is an RN talked with her and one of her doc's. Told them I took some nyquil and drank a bunch of juice and they said if I had covid that wouldn't have ended feeling bad. They're confident without a test it was just the first fall cold.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Thread winner.

Can’t argue with this.
His eyes open?

lol, no way in fact comments like that may serve to get you banned from the exclusive Chris Hayes and Brian Williams fan base...you better repent and stumble back into step while there’s still time son :corona:

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My daughter is captain for her High School JV Field Hockey team. Due to covid, they opted for varsity only games season. So the JV has been practicing but no games. Well they were able to schedule a scrimmage against a local team's varsity, but unfortunately it got rained out.
So my daughter, when updating the JV chat to give the disappointing news left them with this inspirational message:
"Stay Positive,
but test Negative"
Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.