Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Certainly mistakes were made and lives were lost because of that. However, for months now the experts agree that masks help limit transmission, yet many still deny the truth and refuse to do the right thing.
Nobody in this thread has ever said they won't do "the right thing". In fact, everyone I've seen has said they wear one.
I don't see what the problem is, or who these "truth deniers" even are.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s a lot of back and forth in a short amount of time, including some posters who ... I thought ... were taking a Covid discussion break but that’s OK.

Certainly mistakes were made and lives were lost because of that. However, for months now the experts agree that masks help limit transmission, yet many still deny the truth and refuse to do the right thing.
Don't know where you're at and it's really irrelevant don't need to know. But in my neck of the woods I don't ever see anybody out and about in public without a mask. Nobody ever and yes I'm out and in the public almost my entire 40 hour work week and in some extremely high traffic areas with a lot of people around. I know this narrative that people don't follow the rules is popular to cite but sorry where I'm at it's just plain false. And we are one of the areas cited as having new highs for daily cases and total active cases, but almost never ever have a death and since I'm also in hospitals regularly there are very few people in them, based on discussions with people in the healthcare industry including the woman that was I am in a relationship with (she's an RN).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, it's weird. Greenville Health Systems, a hospital I work in, asked me several months back to lock the visitor elevators out of 2 floors. The 7th and 8th floor, because they were setting up "Covid floors" to handle the mass influx of cases ("cases" meaning, people who were actually sick or dying - not positive results). This, after they received one of those giant freezers to store all the bodies, which was stored out by the loading docks. By the following month, that freezer was gone and never had one body in it, and I was asked to open those two floors back up because they never needed them. I mean, I get preparedness and all, but the constant doomsayer reporting was outta control and caused way too much hysteria.
The local trauma center here which is one of my work accounts set up their 2nd parking garage as an emergency over flow center to treat patients and spent millions doing it. They've never used it and have never had an issue with not having room to treat people. Granted that's a metro population of a bit under 500k.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
The CDC and people giving us advise were all over the map in the beginning. They are supposed to be experts on this kind of situation but they proved they are not and cast doubt on anything they say going forward.

They have just recently determined the virus is airborne when the average HS drop out figured that out 6 months ago.

People are going to places like bars and restaurants and staying 6ft a part believing it makes them safe. As if air can't travel outside it's own bubble of 6ft.

They have been straight up feeding people a pile of BS on this virus and how to deal with it since day one. Giving people false security that a mask knitted by grandma with giant holes gives protection. Those kind of masks don't protect you or other people.

No wonder we can't control the spread.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to comment on this. I work for a MAJOR grocery chain in the middle of a MAJOR city. We employ around 200 ppl per store. Ranging in age from 16 to 75+ years old. We interact with about 1,500 customers/day. Since March we have had exactly 4 employees test positive. No hospitalizations, no deaths.

Think about that. I can't even begin to do the math in terms of the sheer amount of people interactions in my store every day for the last 8 months. Yet just 4 positives? And they all got a nice paid vacation at home with the sniffles.
For me, we supply places like you work at and even ourselves work at to assist you, we've had 4 people test positive and nobody hospitalized. Four people in different area's with our 150ish people out in the public 7 days a week. As for our grocery stores there was only 1 in this metro area that had people get sick it was also all at once and contained they're all good now. I talk to people in retail and in food service on a regular basis. Everybody is fearful and they all follow the guidelines, everybody is respecting the virus. Doesn't mean they're happy with the way they have to live but they all treat it seriously.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The CDC and people giving us advise were all over the map in the beginning. They are supposed to be experts on this kind of situation but they proved they are not and cast doubt on anything they say going forward.
That really can't be overstated. It wasn't just the health professionals doing it either. I mean, how do you go from "Come join me in Chinatown! Everything's great here!" to "This administration totally mishandled this thing." Not only is it intellectually dishonest, but it also had far-reaching implications. Don't you think people heeded that advice early on? Of course they did. I think everything kinda stabilized around June, where everyone was - and now is - pretty much on the same page. Sure a bunch of people are gonna do what they want anyway, (like get their hair done when nobody else can) but that's to be expected. I'm not wearing one when I walk in a park with my dog. I just won't. I won't wear one at work if there's nobody else within a country mile of where I'm working. And I've actually changed policies on this. We all just need to use a little common sense and everything will be okay. Just be hygienic. It ain't hard.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
That really can't be overstated. It wasn't just the health professionals doing it either. I mean, how do you go from "Come join me in Chinatown! Everything's great here!" to "This administration totally mishandled this thing." Not only is it intellectually dishonest, but it also had far-reaching implications. Don't you think people heeded that advice early on? Of course they did. I think everything kinda stabilized around June, where everyone was - and now is - pretty much on the same page. Sure a bunch of people are gonna do what they want anyway, (like get their hair done when nobody else can) but that's to be expected. I'm not wearing one when I walk in a park with my dog. I just won't. I won't wear one at work if there's nobody else within a country mile of where I'm working. And I've actually changed policies on this. We all just need to use a little common sense and everything will be okay. Just be hygienic. It ain't hard.

I mean it seems easy enough to be hygienic doesn't it? But just look at people and how they play with their mask constantly.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Me personally, i'm only wearing the mask where it's policy to do so. I would not wear one otherwise.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Can’t stop it but how about reducing the number of cases? What could have been done?

Simple stuff.

Instead of mocking it, simply encourage wearing masks and social distancing.

Instead of making states responsible, have a national testing and contact tracing program.

Instead of encouraging states to reopen before CDC guidelines were satisfied, just follow those guidelines that recommended a two week decline in numbers before initiating a phased in reopening.

U.S. has the best science in the history of the world. How about instead of undermining it, simply following it.

The countries and states that have done these simple things over the past 5 months have done better.

We are so divided that we can’t even agree that masks help limit the spread.

You last sentence is true, we can’t because everyone and I mean everyone has been forced to wear masks in CA, does anyone really believe our numbers went down, no they keep coming in

Yet when NYC found themselves in deep do do (after their glorious leaders blunder after blunder) here in CA all we practiced was distancing and hands cleaning, kept our numbers in good shape compared with other states

We could go back and forth on cloth masks until the end of time, I wear one because it’s mandated, but that doesn’t mean for one second I believe there are definitive facts one way or another on their usefulness, just everyones conjecture

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yet when NYC found themselves in deep do do (after their glorious leaders blunder after blunder) here in CA all we practiced was distancing and hands cleaning, kept our numbers in good shape compared with other states

New York's numbers have been really good for over five months now. Things could turn bad fast in such a dense environment but since the awful start (March and April) both the State and City have done well the simple things I discussed ... requiring and enforcing masks and social distancing, developing and maintaining strong testing and contact tracing programs and phased-in re-openings once the numbers have gone down as recommended by the CDC.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Nobody in this thread has ever said they won't do "the right thing". In fact, everyone I've seen has said they wear one.
I don't see what the problem is, or who these "truth deniers" even are.

My comments were not specific to anyone on this thread. They were general comments about our country's failure to get things right, resulting in unnecessary illnesses and deaths.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Don't know where you're at and it's really irrelevant don't need to know. But in my neck of the woods I don't ever see anybody out and about in public without a mask. Nobody ever and yes I'm out and in the public almost my entire 40 hour work week and in some extremely high traffic areas with a lot of people around. I know this narrative that people don't follow the rules is popular to cite but sorry where I'm at it's just plain false. And we are one of the areas cited as having new highs for daily cases and total active cases, but almost never ever have a death and since I'm also in hospitals regularly there are very few people in them, based on discussions with people in the healthcare industry including the woman that was I am in a relationship with (she's an RN).

Glad to here your 'neck of the woods' is doing well. Would not wish what I have witnessed on anyone.

However, there are many Americans being careless, undisciplined and irresponsible when it comes to protecting other people; and that continues to result in too much unnecessary suffering.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad to here your 'neck of the woods' is doing well. Would not wish what I have witnessed on anyone.

However, there are many Americans being careless, undisciplined and irresponsible when it comes to protecting other people; and that continues to result in too much unnecessary suffering.
But that's part of the point. Pretty total compliance with the mask mandate that's been going on for several months. Social distancing and countless other regulations. And cases are still on the rise. It's rising with everybody using all the precautions we're told will keep us safe.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
But that's part of the point. Pretty total compliance with the mask mandate that's been going on for several months. Social distancing and countless other regulations. And cases are still on the rise. It's rising with everybody using all the precautions we're told will keep us safe.

Some states and regions have more strict rules in place than others. Some have stronger compliance than others. There is no one standard of rules or compliance with whatever the rules are in a given location.

Even in areas where there are aggressive rules in place, that are mostly being followed, there will be positive cases. This is not about stopping the spread. It's about limiting the spread.

Strong rules and strong compliance reduce the spread.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some states and regions have more strict rules in place than others. Some have stronger compliance than others. There is no one standard of rules or compliance with whatever the rules are in a given location.

Even in areas where there are aggressive rules in place, that are mostly being followed, there will be positive cases. This is not about stopping the spread. It's about limiting the spread.

Strong rules and strong compliance reduce the spread.
That's the theory, but practice has often been a far different story. Sorry I know people want a nice little if you do x,y and z it should slow the spread and people will be safer but we've not seen anything to suggest that's the case. California and Nevada have had some of the strictest regulations for a long time and both are seeing an increase and have for a while now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The local trauma center here which is one of my work accounts set up their 2nd parking garage as an emergency over flow center to treat patients and spent millions doing it. They've never used it and have never had an issue with not having room to treat people. Granted that's a metro population of a bit under 500k.
Yep. I know 4 people that work there and they said the same thing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
New York's numbers have been really good for over five months now.
Hmmm....

This from a report today:

New York reported more than 2,000 new cases of COVID-19 for the second time this week Friday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Saturday.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
S Korea has 51 mill,that's way more than 8 percent.,try double.

Apologize if I misread you.

Yes it is easier with a smaller population.

Disagree on the 1st 5 months,there's been warning after warning since April from many.

I get it,folks need jobs to get food ,pay the rent mortgage etc etc.

BUT if we gotta shut down, shut it down. And if that happens the Gov should help those who need it.

31 states have seen increases over the last few weeks, this B'S isn't getting better.

We Are and Have the Worst numbers in the World, Something Needs to Change.

There is no reason to shut down at this point. We know that the vast majority of people have nothing to worry about as far as covid and there is treatment for those that do need treatment. The elderly and those that have diabetes, heart disease, asthma or morbid obesity should protect themselves by staying home and wearing masks when they are in public. But there is no reason why most people cant go to work, if grocery clerks can work safely almost anyone can. Many people that work in offices can work from home. Restaurants should be able to open with restricted capacity to allow for social distancing. People that are to fearful to enter society are free to keep themselves locked down, but at some point everyone that is capable of working needs to get back to work.

Even with all the deaths claimed to be caused by covid, America is on pace to have less deaths that in any of the past 4 years. If covid really caused over 200k deaths why arent we experiencing extra deaths above the expected deaths for the year 2020? Or at least more deaths than any of the past 4 years? I'm not saying covid isnt real, just that ist not real deadly like the MSM has lead so many to believe it is.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I just recently had Covid. I was released by my county health department just yesterday. I may have been lucky, but my experience was not bad. I only ran a fever for probably a total of three hours. In all honesty, I have had colds that were 10x worse than my case of Covid. I am very active and play basketball and run, but am a little overweight. I do also take about 5 different supplements daily. Not sure if those affected it or not, but I am sure it did not hurt.
I to have had colds that were worse than covid, the worst symptom I had from covid was a sore throat and it was the worst sore throat I've ever had but it only lasted a few days then I was weak for a few more days until I forced myself to eat. I've had colds last much longer. As more people catch covid and recover with no need for medical treatment it is going to become harder for the MSM to get people to believe covid is this dangerous deadly virus.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Well imho we have locks downs because of and or lack of proper testing nation wide.

And because that lack of nationwide from the get go,States are gonna do,what they're gonna do.

Is this right ah heck no and we have the worst numbers in the World to prove it.

Btw do I feel for those who are going to be separated from loved ones, O yeah .But much much more of my thoughts go to the ones that have loved ones,no longer here, Today tomorrow, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc etc etc.....
Lock downs are due to a lack of understanding the science and or politically motivated. The virus is not deadly unless you are already knocking on deaths door. People that are reasonably healthy dont even require medical treatment for covid. The MSM doesnt want you to know the truth because well they are propaganda with a political agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.