Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
giphy.gif

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The masks are more for keeping people that aren't aware they have it, from spreading it. Not the other way around.

There is also evidence that it also reduces the chances of contracting it.

Cloth masks are proven to reduce the chances of getting it and spreading. So yes. The cloth masks do help

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Who could have seen this coming?

1602874043651.png

Edited to add ... the point of the above not necessarily related to said person who used regeneron cocktail and recovered rather quickly from Covid, but rather the fact that, due to said person's notoriety, certain interests want to do their best to make sure that nobody gets the idea that there is a way out of this pandemic other than their way.

Remdesivir was touted for a long time as the drug that should be used to treat Covid back when the HCQ wars were raging, but now that a certain famous person has successfully recovered from Covid using the drug (remdesivir), the need to convince the general population that it's ineffective suddenly becomes urgent. Don't want people to get any ideas ...

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Now it’s a conspiracy against Remdesivir?

And just to follow ... what is the “their way” that these certain people are wanting to make sure we all follow by suppressing these miracle treatments again?

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Should have followed the Sweden model. They're so far down the chart now that you have to scroll to find them. But during the initial onset of this pandemic, their approach was widely condemned by our media and 'health professionals' as reckless and dangerous. Meanwhile, we're all running around like lemmings, wearing masks, and it is now proven - through a CDC study, no less - to have very little benefit. One could even go as far as to say it has no benefit at all.

Near the bottom of this chart, you can see that in their control group, 70% of people who *always* wear masks, contracted it anyway. Conversely, only 3.9% of the people who *never* wear face masks, contracted it. There is no mitigation strategy that can stop this from happening. No more than you can stop the cold from transmitting from person to person. All the people who wear masks (myself included) are doing so because we're told to by the establishments we have to visit. Meanwhile, 75% of people in this Country still don't wash their hands before they eat, they touch their masks CONSTANTLY throughout the day (probably 100% of people do that), and then touch everything else, and basically aren't following the most important measure you can take to mitigate the spread. Stop being a filthy bastard and wash your damn hands. Very rarely do people walk around spitting pellets of saliva on each other. That's the only thing masks are good for. Nothing else. We've been told to follow good hygiene measures from day 1. Very few people do that. And now that they're using masks, it makes it even harder to do it. Because, again, people are touching those filthy masks constantly throughout the day.

So there's "the science". Now try to find that study through a Google search.
To be short, why Sweden ?

They have a population of a little over 10 mill.

100 grand plus cases and a little under 6 grand passed RIP.

S . Korea 51 plus mill and had 1 Hell of a spike in mid March thru mind April, but they almost totally shut Covid down in their country.

Over all numbers around 25 thou total cases and 441 passed R.I.P.

I think I'll take the latter.,imho just look at the numbers.

Sweden's Herd mentality is a complete failure when compared to S.Korea.jmho

So the Numbers say has 13.5 times the death,4 times the cases, while only having 1 fifth of the population.

Last edited:

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Well I now know over 40 people who have had it or has it. Some had no symptoms some got real sick with a terrible cough before it took them and some got it and got over it but are still experiencing the effects of it.

There's been several deaths in my town from the virus. I personally know 3 people who have passed from it. The ones we've lost were very old (close to 100 some were over) and required oxygen and stuff like that.

The ones who got over it and are still feeling the effects are very old as well (1 that's exactly 100 years old) but have declined dramatically. A month ago they could walk around and do for themselves but now they're a shell of themselves. Some in there 70s & 80s and are just fine and without symptoms and out of quarantine back to everyday life.

The younger people that I know that has/had it were all asymptomatic and those who are no longer in quarantine are back to normal everyday life. It's crazy man.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Well I now know over 40 people who have had it or has it. Some had no symptoms some got real sick with a terrible cough before it took them and some got it and got over it but are still experiencing the effects of it.

There's been several deaths in my town from the virus. I personally know 3 people who have passed from it. The ones we've lost were very old (close to 100 some were over) and required oxygen and stuff like that.

The ones who got over it and are still feeling the effects are very old as well (1 that's exactly 100 years old) but have declined dramatically. A month ago they could walk around and do for themselves but now they're a shell of themselves. Some in there 70s & 80s and are just fine and without symptoms and out of quarantine back to everyday life.

The younger people that I know that has/had it were all asymptomatic and those who are no longer in quarantine are back to normal everyday life. It's crazy man.
That's a Very Good post.

And A topic not mostly decide.d, discussed the after effects on the elderly especially.

I'm old school ,I'm Seriously about Supporting are Elders, I was raised in yes ma'am yes sir environment .

Imho how is the US numbers worst in the World ?

Btw Sorry for your loss, For Real,America now has lost 17 percent of someone they know or is family.

How is the Best Country in the World. Dead Last?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
To be short, why Sweden ?
Because they didn’t lock down, had a spike in deaths that was only slightly higher than their worst flu season, and now they have one of Europe’s lowest rates of daily new cases. Their excess mortality rate is also not anomalous compared to previous years.
They have a population of a little over 10 mill.

100 grand plus cases and a little under 6 grand passed RIP.
And?

New York City has a population of 8.4 million and they have 24K deaths. WITH insane lockdown measures. Who would you say handled it better?

My State, South Carolina, has been very lax about lockdowns, and we have had a fraction of those deaths. 160K cases and 3600 deaths. And I’ll guarantee that’s an inaccurate number anyway.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Now it’s a conspiracy against Remdesivir?

And just to follow ... what is the “their way” that these certain people are wanting to make sure we all follow by suppressing these miracle treatments again?

And right on cue, you go for the "C" word (conspiracy) ... so predictable.

If you remember back during the HCQ wars, almost everybody who was fighting against its use - the sainted Dr. Fauci included - was saying the drug of choice for treating this disease should be Remdesivir. Some of the people that argued with me on this very board, from your side of the argument, repeated the same thing. Now all of the sudden, you know who gets the virus, gets treated with a cocktail that includes Remdesivir, recovers in just a few days, and then promises to make sure the drug is free for anyone who needs it ... and as predictable as you pulling out the 'C' word, here comes a study saying Remdesivir doesn't work. Get the fuck outta here.

You have to be *willingly* ignoring the obvious at this point to not see how this is playing out.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Because they didn’t lock down, had a spike in deaths that was only slightly higher than their worst flu season, and now they have one of Europe’s lowest rates of daily new cases. Their excess mortality rate is also not anomalous compared to previous years.

Yep, they had the most realistic approach, understanding the reality that virus gonna virus. All these lockdowns in various places have accomplished is to extend the pandemic. It was pure human conceit to think we could defeat the virus that way, and it probably made it worse if numbers from places like NYC and much of Europe are any indication.

We should have quarantined the vulnerable, encouraged everyone on good hygiene and let everyone else get on with their lives while building up herd immunity. Sweden has herd immunity now, the rest of the world is playing catch-up while denying the obvious because of the fatal human conceit that we can control mother nature and the exasperatingly stupid idea that governments can somehow stop a virus with policy.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Who could have seen this coming?

View attachment 40015

Edited to add ... the point of the above not necessarily related to said person who used regeneron cocktail and recovered rather quickly from Covid, but rather the fact that, due to said person's notoriety, certain interests want to do their best to make sure that nobody gets the idea that there is a way out of this pandemic other than their way.

Remdesivir was touted for a long time as the drug that should be used to treat Covid back when the HCQ wars were raging, but now that a certain famous person has successfully recovered from Covid using the drug (remdesivir), the need to convince the general population that it's ineffective suddenly becomes urgent. Don't want people to get any ideas ...

A few things...

1. No, I am not at all surprised that some studies are coming out that seriously question the efficacy of Remdesivir. Even at its best, Remdesivir was only described as "modestly effective" for "modest cases."

2. I still continue to be amazed by the overwhelming coverage of HCQ. This drug that was hailed as a "game changer"and "a panacea" has been exactly that! It's all anyone talks about these days! Come on man, I try to have respect for others' POV on this, but it's kinda hard not to notice that HCQ has all but disappeared from the national conversation. (And rightly so).

3. I gotta say, this Regeneron treatment sounds fascinating. By all means I hope it is a home run treatment. I don't care that a 'certain someone" has recommended it so highly. (Although I sure wish he would describe it as a "fantastic treatment" rather than "cure", but that is a different matter). As always my POV is that if a drug works, that's great, and if it doesn't, then move on. Politics should have no influence whatsoever in the evaluation of a drug's efficacy. Mainly though, re. Regeneron: it is amazing that scientists are now capable of making "synthetically produced versions of proteins made by the immune system." That is so freaking cool!

4. 1328 wrote, "now that a certain famous person has successfully recovered from Covid using the drug (remdesivir), the need to convince the general population that it's ineffective suddenly becomes urgent. Don't want people to get any ideas ..."
All I gotta say is, IMHO this view represents an incredibly dark and gloomy portrait of human nature. Are you of the belief that the vast majority of scientists and drugmakers have no interest whatsoever in whether hundreds of thousands of people live or die, all they care about is making profits? I'm sure there are plenty of sociopaths in the industry, but I'd like to think that's not the majority of them. Shouldn't we give capitalism a chance? In other words, can't we trust that the marketplace just might work the way it is supposed to? Can't we have little faith that if people develop a treatment that is effective, they can help save thousands of lives AND make obscene profits at the same time?

5. Continuing on this theory that "ppl will try to discredit a drug based purely on their political inclinations," then why would ppl waste their time discrediting Remdesivir, since Remdesivir was only mentioned in passing? Regeneron is the new treatment that has been getting a ton of hype, and I have not seen anything like a coordinated smear campaign to discredit it.

6. I am making this post under the absurdly naive belief that I won't get sucked in to a debate about any of the (potentially contentious) subjects I brought up. So I'm already preparing my responses to rely heavily on the "let's agree to disagree and go Rams" kinda vibe.

7. As always, all due respect to you 1328, I may disagree with your positions but I'm still tryin' to be civil. Cheers.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
All I gotta say is, IMHO this view represents an incredibly dark and gloomy portrait of human nature.

While I am no misanthrope, human nature definitely has a dark side, and we are living in times when virtually every one of our major institutions is utterly broken.

Read your Machiavelli, both The Prince and The Discourses.

Are you of the belief that the vast majority of scientists and drugmakers have no interest whatsoever in whether hundreds of thousands of people live or die, all they care about is making profits?

Doesn't take a majority, and I'm not sure whether you would include scientists with drugmakers, who have different goals. You leave a lot of others out as well.

Shouldn't we give capitalism a chance?

Perfectly wiling to - I certainly prefer that to any other system. But it doesn't mean I'm going put on blinders with regard to human nature, the existence of greed, and the lust for power over others that lurks in men's hearts. The fact that it's a better system than any other doesn't change the fact that it's far from perfect.

Regeneron is the new treatment that has been getting a ton of hype, and I have not seen anything like a coordinated smear campaign to discredit it.

You forgot "yet" in the sentence above.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
New York City has a population of 8.4 million and they have 24K deaths. WITH insane lockdown measures. Who would you say handled it better?

First two NYC #s are accurate but miss-leading.

NYC did not just get pounded but it got hit very fast. Hundreds of deaths per-day from late-March through late-April, then it began to decline.

Since early-July, the New York City deaths-per-day have been low ... single-digits or very close.

Point being that the NYC (and NYS) lock-downs have been very effective. However, by the time they locked-down (2nd week in March) there was already tremendous spread. The resulting hospitalizations and deaths over the next ten weeks were brutal. However, the lock-down and subsequent efforts (masks, social distancing, State-testing and State contact tracing) have greatly reduced the #'s.

Things can change on-a-dime here, and get bad fast. Have seen recent hot-spots in areas of Brooklyn and Queens with positivity rates of 5% but the overall positivity rates in NYC and NYS continue to be close to the 1% that has been the rate for months now.

From March through May, New York was horrific. When the U.S. was at 50,000 deaths, New York State represented more than 50% of those deaths. However, New York now represents about 15-16% of the total U.S. deaths.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone

And?

My State, South Carolina, has been very lax about lockdowns, and we have had a fraction of those deaths. 160K cases and 3600 deaths. And I’ll guarantee that’s an inaccurate number anyway.
Imho you missed many things, Sweden locked down ,didn't allow more than 50 to gather and many many stayed at home.
You just want to go with that BS they didn't wear mask.

Again and Again I am a numbers person and I've shown the Numbers .

South Korea has Wiped Ass and Sweden needs some REAL HELP..

Sweden has 1 33rd of our population. Now times that 33 times 6 thou.

You have a Serious Agenda, with that BS Herd agenda but South Korea has Wiped that Ass again and again.

5 times the population, and only 441 deaths,while Sweden has right around 6 thousand.

All I can say, is Fucking wear a mask and understand what contact knowledge can do.
It's been Proven.

Imho We should be 1.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
As far as treatments go, the biggest mistake that has been made and continues to be made is waiting for the patient to be in dire need before giving them treatment. The vast majority of studies on all the tried treatments say they are most effective when given early. Whether its HCQ or remdesivir why wait till the patient is on their deaths bed? If they require hospitalization they should receive whichever treatment the Dr recommends immediately. Not after a few days or just before they need to be put on a ventilator, as soon as they get to the hospital and covid is confirmed give them one or more of the therapeutics that have shown success. If this were the standard process people could stop living in fear of a virus that has a 99+% survival rate.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
BTW never ever voted,I think all these MoFos are corrupt.

Said posted etc etc etc thought this thread post should gone bye bye.

But Imho why is the Greatest Country in the World Last in all Number ?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Lol You're lost and following a dude with an agenda.

Lol
What because I believe human lives are worth saving and that the virus is not anywhere near as bad as the MSM wants you to believe it is? What is wrong with saving lives? I've had covid, and spoke with several Drs about covid. Every one of them said the same thing, it is not dangerous if you are reasonably healthy. So many people think getting covid is a death sentence and you can tell because they are driving around in their own car wearing mask and gloves. The truth of the matter is that many of the deaths were due to Governors forcing nursing homes to take in covid patients even though they housed the most vulnerable and highest risk members of our society. Then you add in all the patients that were put on ventilators at the first sign of difficulty breathing, even though 80-90% of patients that are put on ventilators will not survive.

Anyone that thinks it is ok to let people die so others will live in fear is doing so because they hate a certain person so much that innocent people dying is an acceptable price to pay. Because they think they can get enough people to believe he is responsible. When in fact he has done more in less time to get treatments available so people dont have to die.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Lol. Aye aye Skipper.
Hope you understand, not trying to degrade you,belittle you etc etc.

Just imho S Korea has done a much better job.

And has a numbers person, it's proven

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
NYC did not just get pounded but it got hit very fast. Hundreds of deaths per-day from late-March through late-April, then it began to decline.
I’m aware. This is also right after the span of time in which many of their politicians and health officials were openly mocking the executive’s decisions and inviting their residents out to parades, movies, and indoor dining, causing just a metric shit ton of transmissions. Then they followed that up with “oh shit, we better find somewhere for these case-positive peeps to go! I know ... nursing homes!” Pure, unadulterated idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.