Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
When the story of this pandemic is written, we’ll be talking about how bad the data was.

Too many instances of... “huh?” in the data.
S Korea’s success (and single-minded devotion to mitigation) has been written about extensively, though.

S Korea threw the kitchen sink and more at Covid.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
S Korea’s success (and single-minded devotion to mitigation) has been written about extensively, though.

And a death rate half of others.

Sort of like Russia, half. N Korean death rate is really low (joking but you get the point). Huh in the data. Too much.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct-- insofar as anytime people gather in large compact crowds, without social distancing and without masks, I think they are being reckless and stupid.
Like NFL games? 20 some odd guys, no masks, no social distancing literally on top of each other for several hours. I guess you are opposed to Football right now?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Comparing the U.S. to South Korea, a country 1% the size of the U.S., which also btw, is essentially an island, reeks of an agenda. The physical size alone makes the comparison basically invalid. Plus, South Korea really only has one airport. May as well use New Zealand as a shining example. The U.S. dealt, (is dealing), with 50 individual governments, all with different approaches.

We all know where you line up on the whole Covid thing, which is fine. Personally, I think the country functions best when when people are split 50-50 on key issues, but that's an discussion for another time. I'm just saying you simply cannot isolate the response, or lack thereof, to the pandemic in comparing the US to S Korea. It's not apples to oranges, it's basketballs to BBs.

Cheers.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The U.S. dealt, (is dealing), with 50 individual governments, all with different approaches.

Personally, I think the country functions best when when people are split 50-50 on key issues, but that's an discussion for another time.

When it comes to a virus that does not understand state borders or political ideologies, do not think the United States should function as ‘50 individual governments’.

Like your take on split opinions on ‘issues’ but I don’t view a worldwide health emergency as an ‘issue’.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
When it comes to a virus that does not understand state borders or political ideologies, do not think the United States should function as ‘50 individual governments’.

Like your take on split opinions on ‘issues’ but I don’t view a worldwide health emergency as an ‘issue’.

Maybe it "should not", but it does. And this kind of, imo, goes to what makes the U.S. the U.S. You can't have it both ways.

And nobody alluded to borders or political ideologies.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Maybe it "should not", but it does. And this kind of, imo, goes to what makes the U.S. the U.S. You can't have it both ways.

And nobody alluded to borders or political ideologies.
This whole discussion is about borders and politics.

It should not be, and does not have to be ... but it is.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
This whole discussion is about borders and politics.

It should not be, and does not have to be ... but it is.

Really? Thanks for clarifying.

However, MY post was about comparing countries, and how I disagree with the suppositions, or lack thereof, upon which comparisons are based.
You're welcome to go OT and start your own narrative, but I'm not interested. Thanks for playing.

Cheers.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My wife's niece tested positive today. She has been home schooled this year. Her mother is OCD cautious about Covid. They wear masks everywhere. Her father works with me and we get our temps taken everyday before work and masks are a requirement when close to others. Who knows where it came from but all the expert precribed precautions were taken in their household. :unsure:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Comparing the U.S. to South Korea, a country 1% the size of the U.S., which also btw, is essentially an island, reeks of an agenda. The physical size alone makes the comparison basically invalid. Plus, South Korea really only has one airport. May as well use New Zealand as a shining example. The U.S. dealt, (is dealing), with 50 individual governments, all with different approaches.

We all know where you line up on the whole Covid thing, which is fine. Personally, I think the country functions best when when people are split 50-50 on key issues, but that's an discussion for another time. I'm just saying you simply cannot isolate the response, or lack thereof, to the pandemic in comparing the US to S Korea. It's not apples to oranges, it's basketballs to BBs.

Cheers.
reeks of an agenda

My only "agenda" is the truth of how to best deal with Covid.

The physical size alone makes the comparison basically invalid.

I only brought up the example of S. Korea in order to make a rebuttal against the sentence, "Our mitigation efforts against Covid don't work, haven't worked, and can't work." The example of S. Korea shows that, yes, mitigation strategies CAN work.

The U.S. dealt, (is dealing), with 50 individual governments, all with different approaches.

Yes, and this is one of the main reasons why I describe the USA's response as a catastrophic failure. There has been no overall coordinated Federal plan. Not six months ago, not three months ago, and not now. The Federal "plan" has just been "Hey, you individual States figure it out on your own." Epidemiologists agree that this lack of coordination between States has been a terrible mistake.

Lockdown timetables should have been coordinated, not haphazard. Access to PPE should have been coordinated, not haphazard. Testing and contact tracing plans should have been coordinated, not haphazard. Reopening plans should have been coordinated, not haphazard.

A smart centralized plan? Good. Complete lack of any plan whatsoever? Bad.

I'm just saying you simply cannot isolate the response, or lack thereof, to the pandemic in comparing the US to S Korea.

Believe it or not, I agree. I do not think comparing South Korea to the USA is necessarily a "fair" comparison. (Although one has to concede that S. Korea is very densely populated, with Seoul alone having 10M people, and their economy and society have managed to remain open and functioning). S. Korea is one data point among many. But their country does indeed prove that, yes, mitigation CAN work.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
However, MY post was about comparing countries
Just a clarification.

Your post was much more than just about comparing countries.

You used the term ‘50 individual governments’, and suggested COVID was a ‘key issue’. It’s right there.

My response was specifically to those two comments. That’s also right there.

Cheers

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will only say that our Federal, State and Local governments have their own sphere of power and control. It's called Federalism. The hating MSM crucified Bush because he didn't overide the Gov of Louisiana and the Mayor of New Orleans in forcing aid on the area after the glancing blow from hurricane Katrina. I was part of the response, waiting for these government to ask/give permission to the federal govt for help (I drove a tour bus down to the area and ferried people from downtown New Orleans to Dallas.). We didn't shift a gear until the Guv and the Mayor asked for help.

Under Federalism, the President just can't enforce the will of the federal govt, unless it's a Civil War. This is why the current POTUS can't enforce a facemask ban without laws being passed, subject to SCOTUS review. It's why the Governor of Kansas' order to require facemasks, was subject to local government approval and subject to overturn by the State Supreme Court.

The common technique of the federal govt to force a state's compliance is to threaten to remove federal funds for roads, or some such thing....But this is an end-around ofwhat the founders meant in the concept of federalism, and I sure as hell don't want that.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Not arguing one side or the other just telling my experience with it as I know 20+ people who have/had covid that I am around almost every day. Some are coworkers and some are friends ranging anywhere from 18 years old to 100. All have been asymptomatic. Im not sure of the exact number but we've had a lot of cases in the little town I live in and so far no deaths from it.

I had to get a covid test (throat swab) done for my job and the lady who did my test did not have a mask on and obviously neither did I and she was breathing right in my face saying "say ah" with my mouth open and turns out she tested positive just a day or two later and didn't know she had it. I've been tested 3-4 times since and I'm still covid free. It's a strange virus thats all I know.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I knew there was a reason why I avoided this thread.
CRS is real - don't ever get old. :LOL: Adios my friends.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Her parents tested positive later today. Just went on a supply run for them to help ease the symptoms since the doctors are giving them nothing. So confusing.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That sucks @Ramhusker - I hope for a full recovery for all of them.

On the 50 different states / federalism thing - is the suggestion that the federal govt doesn’t have the authority to act in instances of a pandemic or that it is simply more appropriate for the federal government to hang back and let each state do its thing?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Her parents tested positive later today. Just went on a supply run for them to help ease the symptoms since the doctors are giving them nothing. So confusing.

I pray they all fully recover. The standard treatment for covid is to stay home, just like the flu. When I had covid the first thing I was told was that I had nothing to worry about almost all persons that test positive recover on their own with no medical treatment. And just like with the flu if you have a very high fever that cannot be controlled with aspirin or difficulty breathing then contact advice nurse.

IMO, which could be wrong, Drs overreacted in the early days of covid due to the false information that was being spread. Patients were being put on ventilators at the first sign of difficulty breathing. Being put on a ventilator may be more dangerous than the virus itself. Drs now know much more and there are treatments available, which is helping the survival rate.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I will only say that our Federal, State and Local governments have their own sphere of power and control. It's called Federalism. The hating MSM crucified Bush because he didn't overide the Gov of Louisiana and the Mayor of New Orleans in forcing aid on the area after the glancing blow from hurricane Katrina. I was part of the response, waiting for these government to ask/give permission to the federal govt for help (I drove a tour bus down to the area and ferried people from downtown New Orleans to Dallas.). We didn't shift a gear until the Guv and the Mayor asked for help.

Under Federalism, the President just can't enforce the will of the federal govt, unless it's a Civil War. This is why the current POTUS can't enforce a facemask ban without laws being passed, subject to SCOTUS review. It's why the Governor of Kansas' order to require facemasks, was subject to local government approval and subject to overturn by the State Supreme Court.

The common technique of the federal govt to force a state's compliance is to threaten to remove federal funds for roads, or some such thing....But this is an end-around ofwhat the founders meant in the concept of federalism, and I sure as hell don't want that.
I think we both know under an Emergency Act the Pres can legally do enact basically whatever he wants.
Btw.
Is it fair to use S Korea no ,not really they're the best in the World, but it's just natural for some us too say.

Hey they Have a little less than 1/7th of our population and we have 495 x's more deaths, Wtf.

I have to belief there's somethings we can learn from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.