Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really do know better than to jump back in to this thread, but I lack self control ....

What is it you think that CDC release says?

I see a lot of people on twitter running with the idea that it says that only 6% of Covid deaths are actually Covid deaths.

Surely, none of you are taking that position. Are you?
It's saying that of all deaths in the USA only 6% of them attributed to COVID list the only contributing factor being COVID. Now those other 94% without looking into each individual death we don't know if COVID was what killed them or if it was something else. We don't know if it was what pushed them over the edge so to speak or not. We do know there are countless cases where it was listed where it had nothing to do with the death, the motorcycle crash in Orlando comes to mind.

What this tells us and it's something that some have been saying since the beginning is we cannot trust the numbers.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What this tells us and it's something that some have been saying since the beginning is we cannot trust the numbers.

This ^. And that fact that only 6% of the deaths can be attributed *solely* to Covid, with an average of 2.6 other contributing factors in the 94% that had other factors tells me that the threat of the virus, while certainly worth taking seriously, was nevertheless overstated.

We tanked our economy for this ("you just care about your 401k and don't care if Grandma dies!"), and that's going to lead to depression, suicides, drug overdose deaths, etc., every one of which is just as tragic as a Covid death. It will probably lead to more deaths for delayed health care as well.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
General question then - on hindsight - if you were in charge and could have a do over and go back in time - would you have advocated keeping everything open? Schools, churches, gyms, movie theaters, sports, etc? How would you play it knowing what you know now?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
General question then - on hindsight - if you were in charge and could have a do over and go back in time - would you have advocated keeping everything open? Schools, churches, gyms, movie theaters, sports, etc? How would you play it knowing what you know now?
I don’t in any circumstance play the guessing what if game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that’s no fun. You’re the man, anyway.
It’s just too easy to look back and say oh that was stupid I wouldn’t do that when we throw out so many generalities anyways. I don’t think the decision was right but I’m not in position to do anything differently and to be honest no matter what anybody did there is still a section of people that will scream and yell that it was wrong.
My biggest disappointment is how the health officials early on kept changing their stances and really didn’t help. That and the WHO outright covering for China. A lot of people will rely on them for info and most major health organizations likely caused more harm than good.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don’t blame health officials for changing their tune. That’s how science works. As new facts and data emerge, the strategies can change. The bigger problem would have been not being willing to change their tune because they had already “taken a stand”.

Being willing to admit that we were wrong about something doesn’t make us weak - it makes us strong.

it’s a novel virus. How can we expect them to know how to fight it right out of the gate?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I really do know better than to jump back in to this thread, but I lack self control ....

What is it you think that CDC release says?

I see a lot of people on twitter running with the idea that it says that only 6% of Covid deaths are actually Covid deaths.

Surely, none of you are taking that position. Are you?
Who really knows the real count of legit Covid-19 related deaths, it should be pretty obvious by now lots and lots of “data” perhaps needs reviewing

Whatever...I’m pretty much over this debate, it’s more partisan than certain hearings in January

“singing songs and carrying signs, mostly saying huuurray for our side”

Was true in the 60’s and it’s very true now

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can we expect them to know how to fight it right out of the gate?
Generally speaking you err on the side of caution to begin and you are very able to back off. However if you tell people no need to worry about masks it's not a big deal then you hit the panic button you've already lost a good chunk of the people. Plus if the WHO was more open at the start it's a whole new ball game.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
There's no Chill when 180 thousand plus have died OC, heck Nam killed a little less than 60 thousand Hello.,

School you're right ,from my understanding,Folks Media etc etc have made this so kind of Political BS.

Lord o Lord never had a certain groups party etc etc.

There's so much going on with more Americans dying getting infected than anywhere else in the World, iy just bothers me.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
There's no Chill when 180 thousand plus have died OC, heck Nam killed a little less than 60 thousand Hello.,

School you're right ,from my understanding,Folks Media etc etc have made this so kind of Political BS.

Lord o Lord never had a certain groups party etc etc.

There's so much going on with more Americans dying getting infected than anywhere else in the World, iy just bothers me.

Yeah but please understand, it’s hard to take you seriously when you mock one cable news network and not the others, (etc, etc is ambiguous) reporting on this entire virus has been fishy from day one, not that I’m downplaying it but it should be obvious that both sides are pushing narratives therefore I can only reason that the numbers are dramatically skewed

I removed the chill 3minutes after selecting it, Im not into the negative rating thing (leave it to you to inspire me to do so, lol) we try to keep politics low key here, both sides of the aisle have arseholes galore :biggrin:

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I said it at the beginning and I still believe it. Set up precautions and protocols - many of which we should be doing anyway. Demand that those at elevated risk stay home and get them help instead of blowing trillions. Keep the economy open but pay close attention. Social distancing is fine with reason. Require masks when in close proximity to others. Those that are sick should be penalized for putting others at risk.

We could have saved trillions and IMO many lives. Would it be worse? Doubtful. Would it be better? I believe so.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Yeah but please understand, it’s hard to take you seriously when you mock one cable news network and not the others, the reporting on this entire virus has been fishy from day one, not that I’m downplaying it but to take just one side here...hmmmm, what was one of your favorite words for Bradford (ie team) supporters...Lol Pollyanna...what? Did you really think I’ve forgotten :ROFLMAO:

oh and I removed the chill 25 minutes ago, Im not into the negative rating thing, we try to keep politics low key here, both sides of the aisle have arsehole galore :biggrin:
1st off I think me and you always had respectfully posted to each other, we just respected and disagreed on the Bradford pick.

Was I wrong ? Did Bradford ever live up to being a 1overall?

Cleveland offered their whole draft for Sammy boy,that's what I wanted.

How the Hell could Spags develop s A Qb Shurmur, my o my. When the Rams took Goff what did I say, Fisher his group develop a Qb No Fing Way.

How many debates about Drafts signings that I posted on that board came to past ?

When It came to BD Shaw JZ Fisher etc etc I was a Zealot No Doubt and I sure has Hell more critical with poster's than I should have been.

But again How often was I wrong on 1 of my 40 Thousand post?????

All I ever cared about my Rams is Win.OC there are many here that know my history and know I was way ahead of our F/O many times.

Me being right,looking like I'm smarter than etc etc, Don't care,I suffer from TBI and PTSD all I need is my Pit wanting love.

I'm not Political, I root for No Party.

Again and again Why are our numbers the Worst In The World.

Btw Mojo told me no politics here and I'm trying HARD,but someone posting about only 11 thousand deaths are respected for 180 thousand Covid Deaths, Get the Fu$$K out of Here.

America isn't Stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Glad to see you already seized my Bradford comment BEFORE I deleted it...there was a REASON I deleted it god dammit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: shoulda known better

Yeah I’m not going to rehash the last 150 pages addressing the bottom half, why don’t we just agree to disagree how this has been reported, there are no facts here my man, just politicized garbage, now go double up on them meds old friend o_O

Peace, to quote Rambo in First Blood...”Let it go”

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

You can go back in this thread if you want and look up what I would have done, because it hasn't changed one iota. I said back then we should quarantine the vulnerable but let the non-vulnerable continue to go about their business. We already knew that generally healthy people with no co-morbidities were at very low risk from this disease as far back as early April, maybe earlier. I was told all I care about was my 401k and didn't care about killing Grandma, and that we HAD to lock down everything tight. And yet one of the tightest (if not THE tightest) lockdowns was in New York state, which had a death rate worse than just about anywhere else in the world, and certainly the worst of this country. The death rate in New York state was much higher than that of Sweden, which did very little, and which now has almost no deaths at all (one or two every few days, with several days a week without). I also looked at the other side of the coin, knowing that far more than just money would be lost from the shutdowns and attendant economic damage. More suicides, more depression, more overdose deaths, more delayed healthcare leading to additional deaths, and every one of those people is just as dead as those that legitimately died of Covid.

And if you think "science" is what drove all of these lockdowns and multiple other decisions that we are reckoning with now, please PM me about the bridge I have to sell. It's a very nice bridge, pinky swear. I prefer my payment in small, unmarked bills, btw.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Btw Mojo told me no politics here and I'm trying HARD,but someone posting about only 11 thousand deaths are respected for 180 thousand Covid Deaths, Get the Fu$$K out of Here.

America isn't Stupid.
If he told you that, and you're trying, then why did I have to edit your post just now? Try harder.

Someone posted about 11K deaths, I assume, because that's the true number of deaths from COVID with no comorbidities - per the CDC. The other 94% or so of people who have died have had at least 2.5 additional cormobidities. I'm sure COVID complicated those comorbidities in some of the cases, but any influenza virus would have done the same. Shit, I almost died in Belgium 30 years ago from pneumonia because I waited too long to go to the doctor, and I was super healthy. A virus that attacks your immune system makes everyone with a pre-existing condition like diabetes, respiratory disease, heart disease, etc., vulnerable to severe complications.

You can always read through this thread to find out why @OC--LeftCoast is mentioning reporting and coding discrepancies, because neither he nor I are inclined to repeat ourselves.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ou can go back in this thread if you want and look up what I would have done, because it hasn't changed one iota. I said back then we should quarantine the vulnerable but let the non-vulnerable continue to go about their business.
That's my stance as well. This of course means I'd be able to go back in time with the information I have at hand now. In real-time, not a lot of people knew what the best course of action was, and that extended to the "experts" at the time who were just going off of information as it developed. That said, they didn't err on the side of caution (e.g., suggest wearing masks when you can't socially distance [sick to death of that phrase now, btw], or self-isolate if you're immunocompromised).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They're not. Even with inflated numbers and just looking at Europe, Belgium is WAY higher (maybe a good reason @-X- stayed away from their hospitals ), Spain, Italy, UK, Sweden all have higher rates.

Maybe you should get your facts straight.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
1st off I think me and you always had respectfully posted to each other, we just respected and disagreed on the Bradford pick.

Was I wrong ? Did Bradford ever live up to being a 1overall?

Cleveland offered their whole draft for Sammy boy,that's what I wanted.

How the Hell could Spags develop s A Qb Shurmur, my o my. When the Rams took Goff what did I say, Fisher his group develop a Qb No Fing Way.

How many debates about Drafts signings that I posted on that board came to past ?
I gotta tell ya... You are hard to read...
When It came to BD Shaw JZ Fisher etc etc I was a Zealot No Doubt and I sure has Hell more critical with poster's than I should have been.

But again How often was I wrong on 1 of my 40 Thousand post?????

All I ever cared about my Rams is Win.OC there are many here that know my history and know I was way ahead of our F/O many times.

Me being right,looking like I'm smarter than etc etc, Don't care,I suffer from TBI and PTSD all I need is my Pit wanting love.

I'm not Political, I root for No Party.

America isn't Stupid.
Man, your posts are tough to read.... Like literally.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
A big reason is that adult Americans of all ages are very unhealthy to begin with relative to other countries. IIRC the obesity % is around 40. Then there's diabetes. We eat like shit and take way too much medication.

Those underlying conditions (among others)combined with simple old age immune deficiencies ravaged the Senior population with Covid driving the bus. A brutal virus to be sure, for some. Very few from a global perspective.

Outliers are outliers(the 25 year old totally healthy somebody who died from Covid) but the media propaganda machine shouted with a bullhorn, big case numbers and big death numbers with no context, and unless one was to look at the actual ICU and death numbers by age and pre-existing health issues...one would think man's extinction was eminent.

Next time lets protect those at extreme and high risk instead of what this turned into.

Status
Not open for further replies.