Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
You couldn't piss me off. You're my bae. :heart:

I wasn't really asking for a binary choice on that one question I posed as an example though. Sliding scales are needed, sure, but not when two answers are basically the same thing and then categorized as one or the other based on the response. And then 3 negative responses pitted against two positives? I could be splitting hairs, I guess. It's possible, pig. I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand.

Ah, I gotcha, yeah, that is a bit weird in terms of the balance in the scale. Pollsters are a weird bunch in my opinion anyway. Statistics is by far the least enjoyable aspects of my job, so I usually just blame the pollsters anyway. Probably doesn’t help that I just made up stats when I was in college because I knew I could present my argument the line up with the professors personal views. I did that a lot in college though, especially for history classes. Polls are dumb, frankly I don’t care what the average person thinks about anything personally.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Probably doesn’t help that I just made up stats when I was in college because I knew I could present my argument the line up with the professors personal views.
So it is true. 70% of statistics really are made up on the spot.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1595620607367.png

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Well whether its karma or just life, covid finally entered my life. I started feeling off last Monday at work, sore throat and just not right. Got home and within an hr was on the phone with an advice nurse. I tested on Friday the 17th, after 3 days of the worst sore throat I have ever had. From Saturday the 18th through today I have had mild flu like symptoms, dizziness and nausea, no fever the entire time. Last night I got my test results, positive for covid. Today I feel the best I have since this started but still not 100%. My wife has been quarantined in the same house the last 2 weeks, she has not had any symptoms. So I'm not quite the bad ass I thought I was, but I expect to fully recover in the next few days. Probably return to work next week. But now we will see what I do about wearing a mask in the grocery store, thats really the only place I go besides work were a mask would be recommended. I was thinking I've had it I'm not worried, but not sure if that means I couldnt bring it back home to my wife, or if she would get it if I did bring it home again.

Oh man! Sounds like you are well on the mend. Thank goodness.

Sorry to hear about this brother. But happy to hear you are almost done with it.

Perspective.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, at least there was a study performed by notable cardiologists that back my claim that masks - combined with physical exertion - are a real pain in the ass - and on the heart. Full study [here]. And I guess I'll need a disclaimer here as well. Again, I'm not anti-mask. I am anti-wear-a-mask-where-it's-not-needed-especially-when-busting-ass-on-the-job-with-nobody-else-around-me.

Screenshot_7.jpg
Screenshot_8.jpg

Last edited:

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Well, at least there was a study performed by notable cardiologists that back my claim that masks - combined with physical exertion - are a real pain in the ass - and on the heart. Full study [here]. And I guess I'll need a disclaimer here as well. Again, I'm not anti-mask. I am anti-wear-a-mask-where-it's-not-needed-especially-when-busting-ass-on-the-job-with-nobody-else-around-me.

View attachment 37719View attachment 37720

Of note, the study recognized it's own limitations -- the test was conducted under laboratory conditions with the surgical mask completely sealed over the face (see the pictures in the study).

The external validity concerning surgical masks (relevant leakage to eyes and ears in daily life) may be reduced because of the laboratory conditions where the sm was completely sealed by the spirometry mask.

-- Limitations of Study, p. 8

I get a ton of leakage around the edges of my surgical mask under physical exertion. It would be helpful to see the test results under real world applications rather than the sealed laboratory conditions used in the study.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I get a ton of leakage around the edges of my surgical mask under physical exertion. It would be helpful to see the test results under real world applications rather than the sealed laboratory conditions used in the study.
I hear ya. We were originally forced to use N95's, but that seal was too tight. Physical exertion, in the context of how I'd describe in our real world application, is manually loading 5500 lbs of weight into an elevator, climbing stairs to the roof, (removing mask in the machine room because nobody is there), testing, putting on the mask again, taking control of the elevator, resetting switches on top and underneath, unloading the same weight, then transferring it across the hospital, manually, to another elevator (then repeating the process). We had one younger guy (by comparison, and he's a big boy) get dizzy and nearly pass out from having to breath through his mouth to pull in more oxygen. Suffice it to say, getting dizzy around elevator equipment is potentially lethal.

When it happened to me (didn't pass out, but started to get tunnel vision and lightheaded), I was in a confined space at a polymer plant in the heat trying to adjust a 1500 lb freight door by manually sliding it up and down the tracks and positioning locks. Not sure how hot it was in the pit, but the machine space was 137 on the thermometer. It was basically like shoulder pressing 180 lbs over and over again. I had on a spandex mask that completely covered my nose and mouth, but I thought it would give me more breathability because of the fabric. It did initially, but not nearly enough oxygen was being pulled in, because I also had to start mouth-breathing. I regained my ability to work after I threw it on the ground in frustration (they've since revisited that policy and it's not required after I filled out an incident report). As for surgical masks, the strings break 100% of the time when we use them, so we don't. Otherwise, we'd go through 100 a day, minimum, as a team.

Bottom line is, you can actually feel the bpm's going up and your respiration getting taxed in those settings. I didn't really need a study to determine this was having an adverse effect on my system, but I found one published somewhere when i was just reading a feed - so I shared it. Admittedly I only took a cursory glance and then skipped to the conclusion, but again; I didn't really need it to prove the point to myself. If you find flaws in it, I'll defer to your better judgement. Because I just drew the parallel to what I was experiencing.

The MORAL is, masks are important in large gatherings, sure, but basically fucking stupid in the context I described. There really does need to be some common sense employed when trying to figure out what's best for everyone.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The MORAL is, masks are important in large gatherings, sure, but basically fucking stupid in the context I described. There really does need to be some common sense employed when trying to figure out what's best for everyone.

Seems like a very simple answer to me, you guys should not be wearing masks and at the beginning and end of the day, they should take your vitals to ensure all is well, however, I would imagine working that hard (physical) everyone's temperature might be high at the end of the day, so maybe at the beginning of the day, just might make more sense.

I might even recommend gas masks for guys, which would take care of he difficulty breathing, but I would be concerned limited your vision considering what one misstep could cause.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I would imagine working that hard (physical) everyone's temperature might be high at the end of the day, so maybe at the beginning of the day, just might make more sense.
Yeah, I get my temp checked 4-6 times a day. Almost everywhere we have to go requires it prior to entry. That, and a short series of questions we have to answer - e.g., have you been out of the Country, have you been out of the State, are you experiencing any of [these] symptoms, etc. I don't mind any of that stuff, it's become normal. I just don't like blanket mask policies in places or situations where it makes very little sense to wear one - especially if you're able to distance yourself from others.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yeah, I get my temp checked 4-6 times a day. Almost everywhere we have to go requires it prior to entry. That, and a short series of questions we have to answer - e.g., have you been out of the Country, have you been out of the State, are you experiencing any of [these] symptoms, etc. I don't mind any of that stuff, it's become normal. I just don't like blanket mask policies in places or situations where it makes very little sense to wear one - especially if you're able to distance yourself from others.

4 to 6 times a day? a little extreme?

_phGc5zJ55K-QocFYchjymSUlbyOdWnOaro-i5w4cMq1CyqyaiElY9ys7EVAaUpKnOHilRR4zANdcEXljh8y7a---NaJzN...jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.