Cooper Kupp Signs 3yr Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With a $9 million base salary next year I'd wager we trade him like you and others mocked this past offseason.

or we might as well release Brockers. What were The Rams thinking? Should have cut him 2 years ago.

Copper Kupp has earned his.He has been a solid Ram. He and Woods step onto The Rams OTA’s together & have changed the culture of the offense.

Whitworth’s a interesting story with his contract. He will be in the HOF at some point.
Copper Kupp’s rookie year vs Tory Holt is amazing to me.Talk about excellent WR draft picks.Let’s see what Van Jefferson does in 2020?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Count me in the minority who believes that the Rams should wait on a HUGE new deal for Kupp.
I would have liked the Rams to wait too, but not because his talent isn't worth the big pay day for this team and this offense. It is. He's an outstanding WR. I question his durability.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
McVay hasn't committed to 12P. Lots of speculation around here though.
Yeah and i wouldn't want him to commit to 12P. IMO he needs to incorporate the 12P and other formations into the (at this point)overused 11P stuff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Knew we weren't letting Coop go. I think Van replaces Woods.
Agreed, but lets hope they time it right. Woods means more to this team than just being a great WR. His heart and leadership will be hard to replace.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This is a market value contract in the range I expected it to be. It's actually a 4 year deal keeping his current final year as the first year. At $16M the money will be there next year and IMO it dictates that both Whitworth and Havenstein will be released to clear the cap. If the is about $185M like I expect it to be then there will be sufficient cap to sign Floyd and perhaps Ebukam using a similar cap-friendly number the first year.
No way they keep Ebukam & Floyd. Why would you when you have so many young OLBs?

Not only will they be short on $$, but even if they had the cap dollars, they could spend it better elsewhere.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
With a $9 million base salary next year I'd wager we trade him like you and others mocked this past offseason.
Or they extend him and lower his cap number next yr like they did with Ramsey. They have leverage so they could get him at a decent price.

Lowering his cap number can get them past this period of a tight cap until Gurley/ Cook are completely off the books.

Key is getting to 22'. Currently for 2022, OTC has us at $83M of cap room counting Ramsey and 30 total players.

Adding in Kupp knocks it down to likely the $68M range, but Whitworth & Brockers count $20M and they won't be here.

So they will have about $90M to add 23 players. Not bad as long as their young guys develop and can give them cheap labor for a few yrs.

Last edited:

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I never really doubted we'd sign him but glad he's staying a Ram for the next few years.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Reynold’s contract is up after this year so I’m pretty sure Jefferson was brought in to replace him.
Absolutely agree, I just don't think one negates the other, as in if we draft to replace Josh, but what happens if Van does even better?...They don't go all in to resign Woods after his contract runs out and let him walk, Pretty sure McSnead are preparing for worst and best case scenarios ahead of time when preparing for the picks. Just wish they were all homeruns :)

Ram65

Legend
Knew we weren't letting Coop go. I think Van replaces Woods.
Hate to say it, but I think you're right, cause I love Woods, but I think this was a process of thinking when selecting Jefferson. We can't keep them all :(

We will see. A recent report was the Rams inquired with Woods/Agent about an extension. They can wait till after the season and still save some cap space in 2021. It would be wild if they could keep Kupp and Woods together with Jefferson.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We will see. A recent report was the Rams inquired with Woods/Agent about an extension. They can wait till after the season and still save some cap space in 2021. It would be wild if they could keep Kupp and Woods together with Jefferson.
Yep, they can cut his $10M cap number next yr and extend him like they did Ramsey. 21' is the tough year, much better cap shape in 22'. So a Woods extension is possible as it could add cap room next year by $6-7M and still keep him here 3-4 more yrs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or they extend him and lower his cap number next yr like they did with Ramsey. They have leverage so they could get him at a decent price.
They're going to have to give him a big pay raise too. We're getting to the point with Goff, AD, Ramsey and Kupp were we won't have many more contracts in their price range. Woods has certainly played his way into a payday. Question becomes is Woods worth it or do they run with Jefferson a rookie and Kupp along with Higbee and the RB's and use the Woods money to say upgrade a spot on the OLine? Or is Woods that vital to the offense. I love Woods as much as the next Rams fan but we're getting to the stage where we have to make serious decisions about guys like him. He may well take a deal similar to or smaller than Kupps. But he may also want a payday.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be nice, we'll see how Woods values himself and what the Rams feel they can afford.

EasyE

Starter
Dude took advantage of what America has to offer....Worked hard....stayed out of trouble...went to the college that his talent led him to....shows up on time....listened.....is coachable....outworked everybody....

50 millionaire ....

Kudo's to you Cooper..... you earned it

EasyE

Starter
Need to see the guaranteed money but it appears that Kupp didn't try to rob the bank. Good for him. It's also a sound decision for both sides.

There's a big difference between playing on a 3rd rounder rookie contract and a new deal for tens of millions. Have to consider that a WR or any NFL player may be one play away from a career ending injury. Better to be set for life now than holding out, at risk of injury, for maybe another million or so which may or may not materialize next year. If I'm Kupp, playing for a team I want to be on, I take the deal.

plus, he can become a hometown hero and make more after football in the LA market....also, remember your money doubles every 7 years at 10% return with compounding.....with his smarts, he is a made man now...