Cooper Kupp Signs 3yr Extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They're going to have to give him a big pay raise too. We're getting to the point with Goff, AD, Ramsey and Kupp were we won't have many more contracts in their price range. Woods has certainly played his way into a payday. Question becomes is Woods worth it or do they run with Jefferson a rookie and Kupp along with Higbee and the RB's and use the Woods money to say upgrade a spot on the OLine? Or is Woods that vital to the offense. I love Woods as much as the next Rams fan but we're getting to the stage where we have to make serious decisions about guys like him. He may well take a deal similar to or smaller than Kupps. But he may also want a payday.
Just saying they could give Woods a raise and cut his cap number.

His cap number this yr is $8M & next yr its $10M...

His salary for this yr is $5M & next yr its $9M.

So you could give him a 4 yr new deal with a $16M signing bonus and $2M salary the next two yrs. Then in 22' you jump up his base to $14M with some guarantees.

In that scenario he goes from getting $14M over the next 2 yrs to now getting $20M ($16 bonus plus $4M salary).

Plus you cut his 20' cap number from $8M to $6M and his 21' cap number from $10M to $6M. ($2M sal + $4M prorated bonus each yr)

So you carry over this yrs savings to next yr so you clear a total of $6M for 21'...( Counting savings over both yrs).

Then 22' you have more room to bump up his cap figure.

Screenshot_20200912-221243.png

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just saying they could give Woods a raise and cut his cap number.

His cap number this yr is $8M & next yr its $10M...

His salary for this yr is $5M & next yr its $9M.

So you could give him a 4 yr new deal with a $16M signing bonus and $2M salary the next two yrs. Then in 22' you jump up his base to $14M with some guarantees.

In that scenario he goes from getting $14M over the next 2 yrs to now getting $20M ($16 bonus plus $4M salary).

Plus you cut his 20' cap number from $8M to $6M and his 21' cap number from $10M to $6M.

So you carry over this yrs savings to next yr so you clear a total of $6M for 21'...( Counting savings over both yrs).

Then 22' you have more room to bump up his cap figure.

View attachment 38900
That's done with a contract extension or just pushing money into future years when he's not signed like the Saints did with Brees and what the Rams did with Floyd. And yes I'm very aware of the cap in coming years but keep in mind in 22 we're already down to $60 million in space before anything for Kupp. We're going to have two draft classes to add in there. All of a sudden you're down to maybe $30 million? Plus you only have 29 players plus your draft picks sign so maybe 42ish? So now you need another 11 players and you're going to give maybe half of that to Woods while also not having a LT (if Whit retires soon like a lot thing he won't play out his contract) which will either be a draft pick or Noteboom on a new contract so that eats more of that space. Yes they can possibly afford another $15 million a year WR. But is it smart to do that? Now you're talking having Goff, Kupp, Woods, Higbee and Havenstein taking up $78 million of your cap ($90 million if Whit doesn't retire).

It's very doable to extend Woods I never once said it wasn't. What I'm asking is if it's smart to dump potentially half your salary cap into those offensive players then add in another $42 million for Donald and Ramsey. That's $130 million in cap space roughly 69% of this years total cap tied up in maybe 8 players on a 53 man roster.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That's done with a contract extension or just pushing money into future years when he's not signed like the Saints did with Brees and what the Rams did with Floyd. And yes I'm very aware of the cap in coming years but keep in mind in 22 we're already down to $60 million in space before anything for Kupp. We're going to have two draft classes to add in there. All of a sudden you're down to maybe $30 million? Plus you only have 29 players plus your draft picks sign so maybe 42ish? So now you need another 11 players and you're going to give maybe half of that to Woods while also not having a LT (if Whit retires soon like a lot thing he won't play out his contract) which will either be a draft pick or Noteboom on a new contract so that eats more of that space. Yes they can possibly afford another $15 million a year WR. But is it smart to do that? Now you're talking having Goff, Kupp, Woods, Higbee and Havenstein taking up $78 million of your cap ($90 million if Whit doesn't retire).

It's very doable to extend Woods I never once said it wasn't. What I'm asking is if it's smart to dump potentially half your salary cap into those offensive players then add in another $42 million for Donald and Ramsey. That's $130 million in cap space roughly 69% of this years total cap tied up in maybe 8 players on a 53 man roster.
Actually OTC has $83M w/ Ramsey. So it goes to abt $67M w/ Kupp.

Brockers & Whit each count $10M in 22' and they won't be here. So that gets us back to near $90M with abt 30 guys under contract.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed, but lets hope they time it right. Woods means more to this team than just being a great WR. His heart and leadership will be hard to replace.
I think the Rams will "let him play it out" as their base plan. If he's willing to not make a stink this season at $5M he'll probably be ok playing his last with us at $9M and leaving in FA.

If on the other hand he's not willing to do that then that trade option becomes likely.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

And sure its a tough call and it would come down to if Woods would be willing to take a discount.

Also comes down to what the cap number will be, but of course doing a deal now you are guessing at that.

Just thinking he is great to have as a constant in this offense. Leadership etc...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually OTC has $83M w/ Ramsey. So it goes to abt $67M w/ Kupp.

Brockers & Whit each count $10M in 22' and they won't be here. So that gets us back to near $90M with abt 30 guys under contract.
Spotrac has $60 and OTC is projecting the cap as $20 million higher than Spotrac is. It also shows Floyd having a prorated bonus hitting the cap yet on his cap hit for that year it shows a 0. None of these sites are 100% accurate. And go ahead and assume those cap hits for Brockers and Whit but until they retire or are cut they're on that 2022 cap.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
McVay hasn't committed to 12P. Lots of speculation around here though.
I agree. Coach Mac ran a lot of 12 last few games of the year but it doesn't necessarily follow that he's 100% committed to making it the staple of the offense going forward. We need to remember that with our OL problems and the floundering of Gurley and the run game he was pretty much forced to use 12 more than the 11 groupings.
This year if all works out he is just as liable to go back to 11 as the base of the offense though I would love for him to use the 12 with more frequency than he has in the past.
We'll see what he has planned starting tomorrow!

~ArkyRamsFan~

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And sure its a tough call and it would come down to if Woods would be willing to take a discount.

Also comes down to what the cap number will be, but of course doing a deal now you are guessing at that.

Just thinking he is great to have as a constant in this offense. Leadership etc...
Nobody will deny he's great and a team guy important in the locker room and wants to stay in LA. But assuming he's going to take less than Kupp IMO isn't being realistic.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Nobody will deny he's great and a team guy important in the locker room and wants to stay in LA. But assuming he's going to take less than Kupp IMO isn't being realistic.
One other issue is do you want a disgruntled Woods on your roster next yr?

Eagles are currently getting into a situation with Ertz. Also signed through 22', but far under the new market set by Kittle & Kelce... And he is starting to bitch about it.

In fact he is talking that this will be his last yr if he doesn't get a new deal. Essentially threatening a holdout in 21'.

Do we want to get to thst point?

Psycho_X

Legend
Don't know if they're accurate but we're getting some of the details for Kupp.

Geez, if that is correct it isn't a great contract for him. We could cut ties with him after next season with little ramification and not even pay him half of his contract. There is very little risk for the Rams with this contract. Hopefully we have no reason to cut him for the whole thing though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Geez, if that is correct it isn't a great contract for him. We could cut ties with him after next season with little ramification and not even pay him half of his contract. There is very little risk for the Rams with this contract. Hopefully we have no reason to cut him for the whole thing though.
So just possibly he took a contract that maybe he wouldn't otherwise in order to remain a Ram?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I think the contact amounts in OTC are a little off. Headlines say Kupp signed a three year extension for $48 million, the OTC numbers are a few million less than that. Still, I believe Kupp will be paid like a top five slot receiver at least for the first year of his extension.

Psycho_X

Legend
So just possibly he took a contract that maybe he wouldn't otherwise in order to remain a Ram?

I guess, it is very much a contract that pays for performance. If these numbers are correct it definitely protects the Rams in the case Kupp gets a catastrophic injury of some sort. But with all the contracts being handed out across the NFL lately, in a couple of years when we could cut ties with him his yearly numbers will be fairly average probably so barring something awful happening this is a good contract for the Rams anyway you look at it I think.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the contact amounts in OTC are a little off. Headlines say Kupp signed a three year extension for $48 million, the OTC numbers are a few million less than that. Still, I believe Kupp will be paid like a top five slot receiver at least for the first year of his extension.
It’s a couple million off but remember the initial report said up to $48 million. We likely don’t know performance incentives yet which could be the little difference but the up to phrase just says bonuses to me.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But he may also want a payday.
Exactly. IF Woods wants to make 16 million a year, the Rams may want to consider trading him. No reason to keep him here if he is not happy and the Rams can't afford him. I'm not a cap guy, but I do know that teams can't keep everyone. Sad, but true in today's NFL.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. IF Woods wants to make 16 million a year, the Rams may want to consider trading him. No reason to keep him here if he is not happy and the Rams can't afford him. I'm not a cap guy, but I do know that teams can't keep everyone. Sad, but true in today's NFL.
I really hope he wants to stay enough that he’ll take a Kupp like deal. We know he loves it here we’ll just see how much.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Why are we assuming that Woods wants to gouge the Rams on his third contract? I don’t see it. Unless you are elite, you don’t get second contract money on your third contract while turning 30 years old.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Might just giving them the option that he could ve ine if those contracts that they can restructure if needed.

If he stays healthy this yr then they may feel inclined to do that. If not then this gives them the chance for an out.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Woods will already have made $20-30M, will be 29-30 when the contract's up, so I don't foresee any issues.
He likes the Rams, and LA. We'll be fine.