Cook needs to go

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately he's the best tight end on the team. I really hope we start to see less of him though. It's one thing to disappear, but when you reappear only to fumble, that's a problem.
No he isn't. He can't block and he's about 50/50 when it comes to catching.
Kendricks, Harkey, and Cunningham can all at least block. Kendricks can catch when he doesn't have broken fingers. And Harkey has shown willing and able to make a catch when needed.

I'd be ecstatic to go with those guys atop the depth chart from here out.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Like I said months ago. Trade/cut Cook. Today's game just reinforces the need to get rid of him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
While I was not impressed by the fumble he did get open several times today and Foles did not deliver. The throw on the sideline that was out of bounds is because Foles did not get the ball out. There was another play at the goal line where Cook was open and Foles did not get him the ball.

He has been underwhelming no doubt about it but he is only accounted with 3 drops this year. I don't know where the perception is that he has so many???

Let's face it this offense has problems, the o line was already a project from the get go. GR stunk the place up today. I don't hear anyone asking to trade him. Foles had a terrible day, he's seems to be getting shell shock from taking so many hits. They are certainly not a functional offense but they are getting better.

Gurley makes up for a lot of other bad things happening. Getting rid of one of the pieces for someone else's garbage is not going to fix anything. He is what we have right now and it isn't like he was trying to fumble it today.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Unfortunately he's the best tight end on the team. I really hope we start to see less of him though. It's one thing to disappear, but when you reappear only to fumble, that's a problem.

I totally disagree that he's the best TE on the team.

Cook has hands of stone, does not block and is prone to fumble.
At least Harkey and Kendriks can block.

fearsomefour

Legend
I totally disagree that he's the best TE on the team.

Cook has hands of stone, does not block and is prone to fumble.
At least Harkey and Kendriks can block.
I agree.
He just seems unaware on the field sometimes. He has to know there is a defender behind him, he ran a good route got open, made the catch and then did not protect the ball.
He isn't going anywhere and replacing him is not going to fix the passing offense anyway.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Quick > Cook effective immediately. He will block just as well, but catch the ball. Quick also brings size to the equation and would help this offense greatly on hot read slants across the middle. The exact route that Cook would F up by either dropping it, fumbling it, or knocking it in the air for an INT.

Also I'm not advocating cutting him. I am suggesting that Fish or Cigs man the F up and hold his player accountable for poor play by sitting him. How many games has he not played well now? So many times he should have been given a diminished role or benched outright, yet here he is again hurting the team.

The Rams have other options schematically. Run more 3 wide with Quick running Cook's routes. Rams will immediately be a better team.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Quick > Cook effective immediately. He will block just as well, but catch the ball. Quick also brings size to the equation and would help this offense greatly on hot read slants across the middle. The exact route that Cook would F up by either dropping it, fumbling it, or knocking it in the air for an INT.

Also I'm not advocating cutting him. I am suggesting that Fish or Cigs man the F up and hold his player accountable for poor play by sitting him. How many games has he not played well now? So many times he should have been given a diminished role or benched outright, yet here he is again hurting the team.

The Rams have other options schematically. Run more 3 wide with Quick running Cook's routes. Rams will immediately be a better team.
Agree 100%

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Cook is a TE in name only, really.

We need to think of him as a WR. One that doesn't block as well as Britt, Quick, Austin, and Bailey.

Soooo... The question then becomes is he one of our top 2-3 receivers?

I sure don't think so.

So the question then becomes, why is he seeing so many snaps ahead of other, more reliable players?

I'm thinking that he sees fewer snaps after Kendricks is healthy.

And I further predict that this will be Cook's last season in a Ram uniform. One way or another.

As another poster said, Cook is not really a football player. He lacks the "want to", and it shows.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Kendricks has good hands, actually. Turns out he was likely dropping balls this year because of the hand injury. He should be back to normal after his recovery.

Good point.

There was another play at the goal line where Cook was open and Foles did not get him the ball.

Just to drop it? Cook doesn't make clutch plays. Ever. He is terrible when he needs to be at his very best. Maybe Foles sees an open Cook as unworthy?

We need to think of him as a WR. One that doesn't block as well as Britt, Quick, Austin, and Bailey.

Did you see TA lay out that defender in the Gurley run? Go watch the highlights on NFL.com. Gurley run with Cook leading, wiff wiff wiff. Another Gurley run with TA out there, bam! Take a nap bitch!

Very sad.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He could've been a contender. ....

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Well, if you take into account the fact that Cook kills drives that could keep our offense chugging and thus get other guys looks, while being our primary receiver so most balls go his way anyways it's actually not so hard to believe that guys are losing looks and touches when they're heading to bench because Cook decided to drop it on third down or fumble it.

It's not like Foles is getting a lot of time, lots of times he can only afford to go to his primary read, which happens to be Cook on most occasions. You can't just keep blaming everyone else and hope it sticks, eventually Cook's ass has to keep the ball in his hands one way or another, nobody's forcing him to fumble or drop balls. He's gotta nut up and put effort into his play.

Sure the blame can fall on other things, but fact is Cook is absolved just because he's not the one putting himself in there, he's got to come to play just as much as everyone else. Having to use the excuse that it's everyone else's fault for him still being around is pretty much the biggest nail in the coffin you can put in for Cook.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Cook - no block. Gurley has to change direction because of it. Here come Bailey and TA at the bottom of the screen to spring him.

blockcook.jpg

Big ass Cook can't block and little TA takes out TWO! Cook is looking around.

blocktavon.jpg

Britt springs Gurley for a leaping 1st down.

blockbritt.jpg

TA springs Gurley for a TD.

blocktavon02.jpg

RamzFanz

Damnit

As long as Cook is sucking up the targets and failing, we will not know what we could be doing. His drive killing failures are undeniable and completely avoidable. EVERY game for the last 4 Cook has been "removed" from the game at some point after failures and others, like Bailey, have produced.

We need run blocking and QB protecting TEs. I personally don't care if a TE catches (drops) another ball this season.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
If the Rams are going to be run heavy team they really need a move the chains type TE who consistently helps convert those third and 3's. Fisher had one in Frank Wycheck and some older Ram fans may recall Pete Holohan. Those type of guys were not flashy athletes with 4.5 speed but they had great hands and they were great at finding the soft spots in the defense. I know the two players I mentioned played in different eras but those type of guys still have value. The trend is for teams to find the freakish athletic TE but as Cook has demonstrated it takes more than athletic ability to succeed.

Something is indeed off with Cook this year but do not expect him to get cut because his salary is guaranteed. If he continues along his current level of play he will no doubt be an offseason cap casualty.

Psycho_X

Legend
As RamzFanz pointed out with great illustrations its not necessarily the drops and fumbles (all though both do infuriate me) but it's the fact Cook is absolutely useless in the run game which is ridiculous for his size. But the run game is what Fisher wants to build around. The guy got his money and doesn't look like he cares... maybe he does and is just that bad... either way it's hurting our team.

An average blocking TE who could catch the ball would make this offense so much better. Especially now that Gurley is becoming a name in the NFL. Going forward our TEs and WRs should get all the chances in the world to get open. I just want a TE that can get a first down here and there and run block. Give my left arm for an Ernie Conwell over Cook despite Cook being much more physically talented.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just to drop it? Cook doesn't make clutch plays. Ever. He is terrible when he needs to be at his very best. Maybe Foles sees an open Cook as unworthy?

Since you didn't put it in blue I presume you are serious even though he is credited with only 3 drops this year??? And yeah I'm sure that is what Foles thought, let's just go for the FG (which GZ missed why isn't he getting run out of town?) I'll just throw it out of bounds and make Cook look bad again. :rolleyes: