Coach McVay Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watch the games.

And when I know about two out of three times what is going to happen ITS A FUCKING ISSUE.

You mean incomplete pass on first down , run up the gut on second down , and throw short of the sticks on third down that happens 5 or 6 times a game ? Also yesterday running the ball on third and 13 or 14 a couple times . What's to gain by that ? How about at least trying to get the first down and maybe get a PI or illegal contact . It's not like they were lighting up the scoreboard or way ahead .

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
You mean incomplete pass on first down , run up the gut on second down , and throw short of the sticks on third down that happens 5 or 6 times a game ? Also yesterday running the ball on third and 13 or 14 a couple times . What's to gain by that ? How about at least trying to get the first down and maybe get a PI or illegal contact . It's not like they were lighting up the scoreboard or way ahead .
^This, the running on those downs was like giving up. Our HC always said we dont feel pressure we apply it. So what happened yesterday? Look I love McVay but it looks like he just needs to step back and realize that whatever the game plan was isn't working.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
In summary I don't think this is a playoff roster right now due to the OL and it's affected everything else. But I do think McVay can improve in the areas above. And if they can work those things while they use the remainder of the season to find out which of these OL can play, they can set themselves up for a nice rebound season in 2020 by adding a couple key pieces to the OL.

As a general rule, the success or failure of an NFL team lies with the owner, GM & Head Coach. Player injuries also play a vital role, but that is no guarantee of job security.
From my little role as an observer, Kroenke appears to be an ideal NFL team owner, one that has empowered his GM to act without an excessive degree of micro-management or manipulation. Snead also appears to be an excellent GM, working to find the players which fit his coaches schemes & standards, giving free reign to his H.C. to put it all together on the field of play.
Quite often a GM and H.C. are joined at the hip when it comes down to evaluating their teams success & progress, and so far, McVay & Snead have been brilliant in turning around the Rams fortunes since coming together in 2017.
When Whitworth & Sullivan were signed we all knew this was a short term OL fix, age will limit you that way, and these guys along with a few others have allowed the Rams to draft some quality young players who figure to be around for awhile. Other than our current OL situation, our Rams are a very good team with a fine defense and a roster filled with several upside players. We have one unit which is failing us, this is not apocalyptic, but more of a temporary glitch, albeit one that can still ruin a season.
Snead has been bold in the past with bringing in quality players, his scouting ability should give us focus for a promising future as well.
Still, if i'm troubled anywhere, it's in McVay's coaching, ... his consistent uneven pass first approach and a lack of meaningful adjustments. McVay is great with the X's & O's and teaching from what I can tell, although he very well may need a real offensive coordinator who can reel him in from some perceived excesses with his play-calling. It's difficult to say how effective this might be as when McVay is in his 'zone', i'm not sure anyone can penetrate it. It might be easy to point some fingers towards Kromer as this OL is his unit, but what degree of influence he has over McVay in regards to personnel & teaching is unknown by me.
I suspect Snead will find at least one free agent offensive lineman for 2020, and our draft is likely to include another couple, but with McVay's seeming reluctance to start rookies, it may still be guys like Noteboom, Havenstein, Edwards and a who's who of recent acquisitions that are performing again. jmo.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
^This, the running on those downs was like giving up. Our HC always said we dont feel pressure we apply it. So what happened yesterday? Look I love McVay but it looks like he just needs to step back and realize that whatever the game plan was isn't working.

I forgot the WR screens on 3rd and long ? Low rate for success . I know the Rams D gave up several 3rd and longs earlier this year . It works both ways I thought .

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He deserves the criticism this year, just like he deserved the praise when he came in and changed this franchise.

Mcvay needs to make adjustments to compensate for this horrible offensive line play. Its time to make adjustments, and great what great coaches do.

Ram77

Rookie
Stop Griping about the refs! Its weak AF. We got outphysicalled and out played and out schemed. Lets see what our guys are made of going forward

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Going to be Tuff with Allen done for the season and Hav Cooks being ruled out for next week. McVay will have his hands full

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stop Griping about the refs! Its weak AF. We got outphysicalled and out played and out schemed. Lets see what our guys are made of going forward

Well said . It wasn't good officiating , but the Saints feel a lot worse for the way their year ended .
That would've been tough to get over .

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going to be Tuff with Allen done for the season and Hav Cooks being ruled out for next week. McVay will have his hands full

Not sure it could get any worse than yesterday's debacle , but I get your point . :palm:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Hmmm, I understand talking about the HC if this is a common pattern; it's not. The team has been fortunate in the injury front and the ball bouncing the right way in games (like the Packers last year). The team is a FG or one stop away from 6-3; but them's the way the games go.

Now things aren't going right, our players are getting hurt and that is affecting it. You can only adjust so much with the talent you have left.

Injuries, in one shape or another:

Todd Gurley
Joe Noteboom
Brian Allen
Rob Havenstein
Brandin Cooks
Malcolm Brown
Clay Matthews
Eric Weddle
Bryce Hagar
John Johnson

Yeah, I get, next man up and yada yada, that's a pretty significant list, and if you don't have your best players, it's not going to go well.

I think Sean McVay has earned the right to do what he feels is the best chance to win now, but sometimes it's ok to "punt" the season for next year. I don't think it's at that point yet. Just win the remaining games.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Someone take the challenge flag away from McVay.
Bafflingly bad with it.
Excellent point. Definitely an area he can and should make an improvement. New flag dude required.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Before I get to McVay, let’s take a glance at Kyle Shanahan. McVay appeared to OWN HIM for two years but I saw it differently. My eyes told me Shanny had a superior game plan a couple times but players like Aaron Donald wrecked it. The Niners looked bad for two years. He was roundly criticized for the Falcons’ SB loss. Suddenly this year, he has the top team in the NFC (last night’s loss notwithstanding).

Next, let’s consider Mike Tomlin. In my 55 years, I’ve never seen a coach with a lead go for it on 4th down on his half of the field late in a game his defense dominated. Brilliant, Ballsy, Unprecedented! Yet this is a coach who was criticized for his handling of Bell and Brown.

How about the curious case of Wade Phillips. He’s been fired more times than a turret on the USS Arkansas. Yet he leads the most effective unit on the team after two years of leading the least effective unit.

Finally, I invoke the name we all despise most... Bill Belichick. Wasn’t he fired by the Browns after four losing seasons of 6,7,7,5 wins per?

My point is, often a coach “appears” to be only as good as the collective around him. This OLine is every bit as abysmal as I’ve ever witnessed. Under these conditions, no coordination is possible for success. So my suggestion, as many others have said, would logically to be to evolve to a short passing game and principles based on different personnel packages. Yet this is the year Goff has been given more ownership of the offense and we have subs who have limited reps with this one scheme. Are we really suggesting reinventing all this midseason and invite even more mistakes? While Brown and Henderson were running into brick walls, we think Gurley should’ve been the one absorbing the blows?

Understand, McVay is ultimately responsible for the direction of the team. Adjustments are necessary from game to game and play to play. McVay could do better...but could that not be said of all 32 head coaches? If a handful of plays go differently, this is 7-2 team. While many of the suggestions registered here have merit, I only ask for two things before we continue:

Perspective and Context