Celebration Thread - Saints@Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/27/the-rams-are-for-real-and-other-week-12-thoughts/

The Rams are for real
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 27, 2017

Los Angeles has one hell of a football team on its hands.

The Ram beat the Saints on Sunday to improve to 8-3 on the season — and to establish themselves as legitimate Super Bowl contenders. Yes, I just said “Rams” and “Super Bowl” in the same sentence. Los Angeles absolutely has that kind of team. These aren’t Jeff Fisher’s Rams.

It starts with quarterback Jared Goff, last year’s first overall draft pick who was absolutely awful as a rookie. This year, playing for new coach Sean McVay in a much better offensive system, Goff looks great.

His 354 yards yesterday against a very good Saints pass defense represented maybe his best game to date. Over his last four games, Goff has 1,245 passing yards, nine touchdowns and one interception. This kid is good.

It helps that the Rams have three talented receivers in Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Sammy Watkins, although yesterday against the Saints the Rams were playing without Woods, their No. 1 receiver, and they didn’t miss a beat.

It also helps that the Rams have one of the NFL’s most talented running backs in Todd Gurley. And it helps that the Rams signed left tackle Andrew Whitworth this offseason, one of the most important free agent signings in the NFL this year.

But the Rams may actually be better on defense and special teams than they are on offense. McVay made a great move when he hired Wade Phillips as his defensive coordinator, and Phillips has done a superb job with the Rams’ defense this year.

That defense is led by Aaron Donald, a defensive player of the year candidate. And the Rams’ special teams is led by one of the best kickoff returners in the league in Pharoh Cooper, one of the best kickers in the league in Greg Zuerlein, and one of the best punters in the league in Johnny Hekker.

So Los Angeles has one of the best teams in the league. The big question facing the NFL in its Los Angeles experiment is whether they can get SoCal to care. Last year, when the Rams first announced they would move from St. Louis, ticket sales were strong.

But that interest faded because the Jeff Fisher Rams were a bad team with a boring offense. Now the Sean McVay Rams are a good team with a thrilling offense, but the fans aren’t back. It would be a shame if these Rams didn’t get the appreciation they deserve.

View: https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/935023989877018624

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/26/rams-saints-jared-goff-sammy-watkins-alvin-kamara

Rams and Saints Exemplify the Difference a Year Can Make
By Michael McKnight

HARRY HOW/GETTY IMAGES SPORT

LOS ANGELES — One year ago, in Week 12, the 4–6 Saints beat the 4–6 Rams in New Orleans and the NFL yawned. Sunday, those two teams provided the only Week 12 matchup that featured two teams with at least seven wins.

But they weren’t the same two teams at all. What difference can twelve months make? Sunday in Los Angeles, you could see the gap between the 2016 versions of the Rams and Saints and the teams that currently lead their respective divisions.

You could see it on almost every play, starting with the opening kickoff. Pharoh Cooper, who’d been merely a part-time kick returner in 2016, continued his run toward a potential Pro Bowl trip with a 40-yard return. Seven plays later, recently acquired receiver Sammy Watkins caught a five-yard slant from quarterback Jared Goff to make it 7–0 Rams.

Does anyone recall the Goff of a year ago? In New Orleans last November, Goff was a shaky rookie making his second career start. Thanks in large part to new head coach Sean McVay, Goff now leads the NFC’s best offense and stands sixth in the league in passer rating.

Goff passed for 214 yards in last year’s 49–21 loss in New Orleans. He exceeded that total by halftime on Sunday—and ended the game with 354 passing yards and a touchdown—capitalizing like a veteran on the injuries that kept the Saints’ two starting cornerbacks, Marshon Lattimore and Ken Crawley, out of the lineup.

Watkins? This time last year, he was a banged-up Buffalo Bill making just his third start of the year. Ultimately the Bills lost four of their last five and finished 7–9 in 2016. Now Watkins is healthy, dangerous and—barring a team meltdown—headed for his first playoff game.

“The change with this team starts from the top down,” linebacker Robert Quinn said after the game, describing the shift in a franchise that has won eight games for the first time since 2006. “New head coach, new D.C., new O.C. … Half the locker room from last year is pretty much gone.

From day one, McVay said he was going to hold us to an extremely high standard. Guys have grasped that and we’re starting to see what we have ahead of us.” Finally free of his pads, Quinn sat at his locker, smiled and shrugged, unable to elucidate further.

“I’ve been around here for a little while. I’ve never been in this position. It’s special.”

The Saints’ improvement is just as visible. On their second drive, trailing 10–0, rookie Alvin Kamara took off on a 74-yard touchdown run that exceeded the rushing yards he amassed against Vanderbilt (69 yards) in a losing effort one year and one day earlier.

Kamara, who played at three colleges before being chosen by the Saints with the No. 67 pick out of Tennessee, then took a seat and watched the No. 69 pick, Rams receiver Cooper Kupp, catch a 55-yard bomb from Goff—a completion that set up the TD that put L.A. up 17–7. That score went to another rookie, Josh Reynolds, a fourth-rounder from Texas A&M who one year ago was watching the clock tick down on the Aggies’ 54–39 loss to LSU.

But it wasn’t just about youth. The oldest left tackle in the NFL, Andrew Whitworth, was plying his trade in relative anonymity as a Bengal last fall before signing a three-year deal with the Rams this past March. On Sunday the Louisiana native, part of the only NFL offensive line to start the same five players in all of its games, helped neutralize the Saints athletic, playmaking defensive line, and enabled Todd Gurley to rush for 74 yards, including 28 in the clock-killing fourth quarter.

It wasn’t just about offense, either.

Early in the fourth, with the Saints facing third-and-goal from the three, Rams cornerback Kayvon Webster, who’d made a total of 17 tackles over the preceding two seasons with the Broncos, made the game’s most pivotal play.

Saints receiver Michael Thomas had caught a pass from Drew Brees in the flat and turned upfield to find only Webster between him and the goal line, with plenty of room to make the cornerback miss and cut the Rams’ lead to six. Webster executed a clinical shoulder tackle in space—McVay later called it “a four-point play”—that forced New Orleans to settle for a field goal.

The Rams brought Webster into the fold in March 2017 on the advice of his defensive coordinator in Denver, Wade Phillips, who had just been hired to fill the same role with the Rams.

In the locker room, starting guards Jamon Brown and Rodger Saffold sat on either side of center John Sullivan. Brown and Saffold had played every snap of that 28-point loss in New Orleans on Thanksgiving weekend 2016. “This is a whole new team, new culture, new everything,” said Brown, the Rams’ third-round pick in ’15.

“New players, new coaches,” added Saffold, a second-round pick in ’10. “This offense attacks. We used to wait for things to go our way. This team makes them go our way.”

Sullivan, a 10-year-vet acquired from Washington (where McVay was his offensive coordinator), points toward Goff, the young quarterback. “I met Jared in April. I’ve only known him seven months, but he has grown immeasurably in that time. And that starts with Sean and the offensive staff.”

Sweaty beard flecked by gray, Sullivan knocked hard on his wooden locker—BOOM, BOOM, BOOM—when someone mentioned that the Rams o-line has started the same five players in all eleven games.

It’s the sound of a team stomping confidently toward a destiny that seemed unthinkable a year ago, but on Sunday looked preordained.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bandwagon fans will come for the playoffs....this is not an indictment of loyal fans, but those that change team jerseys every weekend (just about) can go to hell.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
The Bandwagon fans will come for the playoffs....this is not an indictment of loyal fans, but those that change team jerseys every weekend (just about) can go to hell.
it was after week one when the Rams beat the Colts , I gave everyone at one a work , a one time only , Jump on the Rams bandwagon for free pass ,

no takers

I tell them now , they just have to wait till next year

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Sean McVay = Chuck Knot

I fully expect to win the NFC West for the next 7 years in a row

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I distinctly remember the old days when these aints were in the NFC Best. It was like having 2 automatic wins on the schedule every year. For you young-ins... there was a time when the aint fans literally wore brown paper bags on their heads in that dome of theirs.

They started getting better... my dislike for them started growing as they became semi-relevant. They got this QB that was one of their home grown bayou boys named Bobby Herbert (I hope I spelled his name wrong)... he had some of his best games against us. They even beat us on occasion... our 2 automatic wins weren't automatic anymore.

Their 1st chance to ever make the playoffs was killed by our bare-footed kicker. Lansford kicked like a 52 yarder to kill that chance for them... getting us into the playoffs instead of them.

But those fuckers finally made it. They even managed to sign our beloved (at least by me anyway) Jim Everett as their QB. I really started to hate them then... my dog was named after Everett for God's sake.

The final stage to true hate for me concerning these aints came when their current coach (I'm not even going to type his name) was hired. I cannot stand that fucker or his stupid face. During the game yesterday I told my wife and oldest son how much I would enjoy punching that pos in his face literally every time his mug was plastered on my screen. I hate him and that team.

Winning yesterday was almost like being a kid on Christmas morning after Santa delivered loads of presents. That's what it felt like to me. So sweet!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coming of age game for the Rams.
There is signature win baby.
There’s your freaking statement.
we beat a really good team today.
Just when I think the team might collapse, coming off a tough loss and facing a top opponent, they find a way to regroup and get a win.
8-3, feeling good.
Yup... bounced back after a tough loss... beat a very good team... the "Respect-O-Meter" dropped a little last week... expect it to move past where it was two weeks ago.
This is a well coached, cohesive group of talented athletes who are giving it their all. And the results are undeniable!

I am so relieved. After the Vikings game, I thought, maybe we are not that hot, maybe people are right and we just had an easy schedule, maybe we are just middle of the pack team.
I really thought they could beat MINN with Case Keenum. So, when they lost, it threw me for a bit of a loop. Then, I did not have a good feeling going against a red-hot NO team with Brees at the helm.
They really showed me something yesterday. Can they do that consistently? That's the difference between getting into the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl. Great challenges coming up. We'll see what's at the core of this team after the next three weeks.

McVay got too cute at times today
If you mean passing when it clearly called for running at the end of the game? Yeah, I was yelling at the TV.
But...
Could have and should have been a blow out
It wasnt always pretty, but the Rams got out to a lead and held it to the end.
but then Goff did the same exact thing twice once to Reynolds once to Watkins the latter being the lucky interception.
If I have this right, 117 plays in the game. One play goes this way and the result may be changed. One play goes that way and the result may be changed.
The only thing that can't be changed is the final score.
How you got there... whether is was some questionable play calling... whether it was a tipped pass for an INT... whether it was dropped INTs... dropped passes...
A football game is just a series of events that culminate in a final score. I try hard (after wins or losses) to not get too caught up in the "what if".
What if the Rams beat NO 26-20? Oh, they did!!! :yay::yess:

Next week will be a war. They will play the "they embarrassed us the last time we played" card.
a win is a win, on to Arizona
Cards next.
Ol Redface will have the Cards pumped next week. Gabbart is playing pretty well for Az.
Beware the wounded animal... and AZ is wounded, but still in the hunt. I'm sure Alien will have them pumped up, using the disrespect card from London... I'm also confident McVay and staff will pound home "one game at a time"... my only worry is, will the players listen hard enough?

Now the Sean McVay Rams are a good team with a thrilling offense, but the fans aren’t back.
Huh? Seemed pretty full to me on TV. This guy does understand that there are large parts of the stadium that aren't for sale, right? Only bad thing I saw was... far too many NO fans there.

I distinctly remember the old days when these aints were in the NFC Best. It was like having 2 automatic wins on the schedule every year. For you young-ins... there was a time when the aint fans literally wore brown paper bags on their heads in that dome of theirs.
Yup... I remember those days... LA, SF, ATL and NO. NO sucked, SF was good, and ATL had it's seasons. Rams were pretty consistent, as I recall.
There was a kid in high school that drew the ATL bird on all his book covers... almost got in a fight with him . :LOL:

These aren’t Jeff Fisher’s Rams.
In the immortal words of Kurt Warner...
THANK YOU, JESUS!!
(BTW... can't find that on You Tube at all).

Q729

Legend

They started getting better... my dislike for them started growing as they became semi-relevant. They got this QB that was one of their home grown bayou boys named Bobby Herbert (I hope I spelled his name wrong)... he had some of his best games against us. They even beat us on occasion... our 2 automatic wins weren't automatic anymore.

Their 1st chance to ever make the playoffs was killed by our bare-footed kicker. Lansford kicked like a 52 yarder to kill that chance for them... getting us into the playoffs instead of them.

But those fuckers finally made it. They even managed to sign our beloved (at least by me anyway) Jim Everett as their QB. I really started to hate them then... my dog was named after Everett for God's sake.

The final stage to true hate for me concerning these aints came when their current coach (I'm not even going to type his name) was hired. I cannot stand that freaker or his stupid face. During the game yesterday I told my wife and oldest son how much I would enjoy punching that pos in his face literally every time his mug was plastered on my screen. I hate him and that team.

Winning yesterday was almost like being a kid on Christmas morning after Santa delivered loads of presents. That's what it felt like to me. So sweet!
You know when my hatred for NO reached an all-time high? When Joe Horn was asked how he felt about the Rams/Saints rivalry during one of those pre-game pieces. It was either a Sunday or Monday night game. Can't remember if it was when the shit games were still on Sunday night or not. Anyway, He said something along the lines of "Rivalry? This ain't no rivalry. A rivalry is they win one, weeee win one. This ain't no rivalry (laughs)"
Man I hated the fuck out of the Saints almost as much as the 9ers. Kind of weird thinking about how there was a time when we didn't have to get as pissed off about the Cards and Seahawks.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Sean McVay = Chuck Knot

I fully expect to win the NFC West for the next 7 years in a row

More like George Allen...not to be nit picky

Allen took a losing team with talent on the DL and a young QB and turned them into winners!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is how in years past, I would yearn to see the Rams listed as being a Top 15 team in ESPN's Power Rankings, and it hardly ever happened. This year I get pizzed if the Rams aren't Top 4! Our expectations change over night, it seems.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems silly not to just flex it now. The Rams are 8-3 and the Eagles are 10-1. Who cares about the Ravens?

Who cares about afc games in general? That conference blows. In my 27 years of watching the nfl i have never looked forward to watching a regular season afc game.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gotta love what the OL is doing. Saffold pulling and blocking on the rt side is great OL play and was a key part in making that play work.