CBA deal progressing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Wouldve gotten pounded by Green Bay?... yeah I doubt that. I get his point though.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lmao I am quite sure we would have beaten the Packers.

But if I'm being honest, I would not have felt great about then going to San Fran with them having had a week off and their D back to full strength (it was not at full strength for our 2nd game where we should have beaten them).

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldve gotten pounded by Green Bay?... yeah I doubt that. I get his point though.

I don't.

We were more deserving of a playoff spot than the Eagles, looking at both teams in a vacuum.

In 2018, the Steelers could have made some noise in the playoffs and were probably a better team than the Texans. Vikings would have gotten in with a winning record for the NFC and played at the Rams - earlier that season that game was a barn burner.

In 2017, 4 9-7 teams were left out - the Chargers were probably better than the Chiefs that year (who lost immediately to the Mariota led Titans)

Same year after year. In 2016 the Dolphins went 10-6, but there were better teams that went 9-7.

Because of the division aspect, I would guess that the actual best 6 teams rarely make the playoffs from a conference. That's why I like going to 7 - that team that gets left out because of a terrible division winner wouldn't happen anymore.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Can't wait for this thing to get sown up and we really know how much money we have to play with in FA... Now, it might not affect us going after FA so much since all teams have the same play money but it might start to make our past few years contracts look much better.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I don't.

We were more deserving of a playoff spot than the Eagles, looking at both teams in a vacuum.

In 2018, the Steelers could have made some noise in the playoffs and were probably a better team than the Texans. Vikings would have gotten in with a winning record for the NFC and played at the Rams - earlier that season that game was a barn burner.

In 2017, 4 9-7 teams were left out - the Chargers were probably better than the Chiefs that year (who lost immediately to the Mariota led Titans)

Same year after year. In 2016 the Dolphins went 10-6, but there were better teams that went 9-7.

Because of the division aspect, I would guess that the actual best 6 teams rarely make the playoffs from a conference. That's why I like going to 7 - that team that gets left out because of a terrible division winner wouldn't happen anymore.
I understand what you're saying but if you want in the playoffs then you have to win. You can't lose then complain about missing the playoffs because a team with a better record made it in. Maybe we were better than the Eagles but maybe if we just win against Pittsburgh, Seattle and San Francisco this is a different conversation. Not always but usually the top seeded teams play in the conference championship games anyway.

Turducken

Starter
g

I'm on the opposite end and would like to see an 18 game schedule, 2 pre-season games and 3 BYES per team. The league makes more TV money by stretching out the season, players are better rested and healthier with increased time to heal, fans have less of an off-season to wait on for the new.
Increase the regular roster from 53 to 55, and make them all eligible for gameday. Increase Practice Squad size to a dozen with a requirement that at least one is a QB.
jmo.
I like this too with one wrinkle - limit each player to 16 games per season and expand roster size (by 15-20%) to make it doable. It would make every team carry two serviceable QBs. All records/stats for 16 game seasons continue (except consecutive starts).

WestCoastRam

Legend
I like this too with one wrinkle - limit each player to 16 games per season and expand roster size (by 15-20%) to make it doable. It would make every team carry two serviceable QBs. All records/stats for 16 game seasons continue (except consecutive starts).

I don't know man, I think it would really affect quality of QB play. There are too few QB snaps to go around as it is in practice and then you'd have to be thinking of giving some to someone else??

Already not happy that practice time is being affected yet again in new cba.

Turducken

Starter
I don't know man, I think it would really affect quality of QB play. There are too few QB snaps to go around as it is in practice and then you'd have to be thinking of giving some to someone else??

Already not happy that practice time is being affected yet again in new cba.
My take is that too much emphasis on QB right now. They eat up to much salary cap. If starter goes down then you are usually out of playoffs.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My take is that too much emphasis on QB right now. They eat up to much salary cap. If starter goes down then you are usually out of playoffs.

Yup. But that's football. Look at XFL, horrible QB play. There is no answer other than maybe having a slash player that plays a handful of play ala Taysom or Randel El back in the day. And even then, I'm not sure you'd want that guy starting a full game for you.

I think the thing with Taysom and The Saints that people don't realize is that Brees is a long-in-the-tooth vet that's been in the same system for ages. They can prob get away with a rep here or there going to another QB.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand what you're saying but if you want in the playoffs then you have to win. You can't lose then complain about missing the playoffs because a team with a better record made it in. Maybe we were better than the Eagles but maybe if we just win against Pittsburgh, Seattle and San Francisco this is a different conversation. Not always but usually the top seeded teams play in the conference championship games anyway.

Oh I agree with you. From a personal standpoint, the Rams blew it last year, and I'm fine with that.

From a big picture standpoint, it's not right that teams automatically have an easier schedule every year because of their division and happenstance.

Take next year for example: we don't hate the Rams schedule, BUT we'll be traveling to the East Coast FIVE times. That's ridiculous. If a New York team had to travel West five times....well, the NFL instituted a little rule years back that teams wouldn't have to travel to both SF and Seattle in the same season because it was "too much" - this is when the Rams were in STL though.

That coupled with random injuries can sway the season for teams, and I personally like that a 7th team can at least get in. Also makes the #1 seed much more valuable, and I like that too - the Patriots have been the #2 seed several times on the back of their division being so bad.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • The NFL's owners voted to approve the "principal elements" of a new collective bargaining agreement on Thursday.
    The proposal now goes to the NFLPA's 32 player reps. If they provide 2/3 approval, the deal will be sent to the entire player pool, with only a simple majority required for ratification. The owners have been moving quite quickly, something that will undoubtedly give the NFLPA pause. There is a chance we are already near the end of this process, but it could be more likely that we are just getting started.
    SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
    Feb 20, 2020, 4:17 PM ET

• https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player-news/headlines/9557046

Turducken

Starter
Yup. But that's football. Look at XFL, horrible QB play. There is no answer other than maybe having a slash player that plays a handful of play ala Taysom or Randel El back in the day. And even then, I'm not sure you'd want that guy starting a full game for you.

I think the thing with Taysom and The Saints that people don't realize is that Brees is a long-in-the-tooth vet that's been in the same system for ages. They can prob get away with a rep here or there going to another QB.
That's football now, but I'm old enough to remember a lot of backup QBs making SB runs. The NFL was a lot more interesting these last couple sessons with a bunch of cheap mobile QBs on their rookie contracts. Seems like there are a lot more in the pipeline. The only way for the NFL to regain leverage against the QBs who are eating up salary cap ratio is to make them more replaceable.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That's football now, but I'm old enough to remember a lot of backup QBs making SB runs. The NFL was a lot more interesting these last couple sessons with a bunch of cheap mobile QBs on their rookie contracts. Seems like there are a lot more in the pipeline. The only way for the NFL to regain leverage against the QBs who are eating up salary cap ratio is to make them more replaceable.

Yeah, back in the day there was a ton more practice reps to go around. Last CBA cut that to shreds and new CBA will continue to dial back practice (don't think it's how many days but now there's a further limit on hitting in practice).