Case Keenum 3-1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally I don't think it's a coincidence that we had not won at Seattle in 10 years and the last guy who did was Bulger. I think it's because Keenum played better at Seattle than any QB we've had since Bulger...
I love everything you've said in this thread, particuarly that point.
With all the trashy QB play we've seen in the past 10 years it is nice to see a guy not folding.
As for his yardage or lack thereof, he can only do what the system allows him to do.
He beat Sherman on an endzone pass, hit Kendricks in a tight window (who dropped it), hit Britt early

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't know either wayb is what I am saying. Need to play it out atleast 10,11 games before extending Keenum.
Gotcha.
He deserves a contract for next year IMO and if it costs a 2 year deal its worth it IMO
Cant keep rotating QB and expecting the rest of the team to gel

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with keeping Keenum. I'd even go so far as to say give him a shot to start next year.

But it would be a bad move IMO to go into next season with the same QBs on the roster now, and it'd be even worse to not upgrade the talent at QB if given the opportunity.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I noticed right away yesterday, Keenum was calm and cool at the line of scrimmage. Seems to be decent at going through pre snap reads. We've had few negative plays since he's come back from that concussion. I heard him kill plays late and make an audible in the run game a few times. He also scrambled and got away from a couple of sacks had it been Foles or Bradford. He's playing smart right now and that can go far with the defense playing well. Get us 4 in a row next week with more even play and I don't see how he's not back as the #2 next year.

Athos

Legend
Explain how you know this please.

If he was 6'5", would your opinion be different?

No, especially if he still had a pop gun arm. Oh it's better than Davis but that is t hard.

He also got to play with Andre and Hopkins and Foster with a better offensive line and a weaker division and got tossed away twice by the team he originally signed with.

I really don't think Keenum's play should be ignored just because we've been burnt by QBs having short runs of good play before.

This guy is playing at a really high level right now, seeing the entire field (head on a swivel, doesn't lock in like Foles and Sam), quick release, strong arm, accuracy, and mobility. There's a reason he was the most productive college QB of all time, we might just have something here.

High level is subjective and imo, inaccurate.

His end of game results shouldn't be ignored, nor should they be taken with pomp and circumstance.

If we have a shot at drafting a first round QB talent, Case of all people shouldn't block that.

And 3rd round picks on a QB isn't exactly a guarantee of anything.

Of the top 25 QBs in TD production, only Brady, Wilson, Fitz, Cousins, Taylor, and Hoyer were QBs in the 3rd round or later.

Fitz is a 33 year old journey man having a career year in season 10 with weapons like Marshall and Decker to pass to.

Hoyer is bottom barrel and has Hopkins.

Taylor is the definition of a game manager and even still hat team is a loser despite the number one rushing attack.

Wilson is a read option illusion that still sucks in the pocket, but admittedly is a way better runner and passer than Keenum.

Cousins has Reed, Garçon, and DJax.

Brady is the luckiest QB pick of all time.

I wouldn't hedge my bets on a 3rd round QB.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No, especially if he still had a pop gun arm.

High level is subjective and imo, inaccurate.

His end of game results shouldn't be ignored...

Your opinion of CKs arm strength (pop-gun) is also subjective and his end of game results should not be ignored, you're right. (3 straight Ws)

Also, you made a great case for how all the other QBs in the league need talent around them to produce. I agree completely. :)

Ozoneranger

Rookie
I think we can all agree that we need to trade Foles in the offseason if possible, even for a low pick, or cut him. Extend Keenum and draft a qb to have compete with Mannion as well. This is going to be one of the most important offseasons in a long time. With how free agency is, a number of our guys could be gone next year to teams that overpay. We could see Jenkins, Johnson, Barron, Hayes, Fairly all go. Not to mention guys getting cut like JL, Long, Saffold, Cook. We need to get long term stability at the QB position. Keenum has shown that he is a very high caliber backup option if your top guy goes down. If our defense gets taken from us by other teams, we will need the offense to step up and score more points.

At this point, Foles has zero value.

RamsFan14

Starter
To me, Keenum got a bit lucky he didn't have 1 or 2 passes picked off yesterday. When Rams QBs don't make mistakes, we have good chance to win.

Athos

Legend
To me, Keenum got a bit lucky he didn't have 1 or 2 passes picked off yesterday. When Rams QBs don't make mistakes, we have good chance to win.

He nearly threw a pick 6 rolling out to his right throwing to I can't even remember who or why. Thankfully he didn't. That woulda been par for the course against the SeaTurds in Hagville.

Ozoneranger

Rookie
He got us to the NFC Championship game where we lost to the juggernaut Chicago Bears who are known as one of the best teams in the history of American football

I remember that game very well. Brock completed TWO passes the previous week against Dallas. Dickerson got the Rams there, not Brock. And he was gone in 86. Kemp should have started that game, by the way.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
How does Keenum's arm strength compare to the Montana guy?

Marino ever win a Super Bowl?

Cory

UDFA
Wild ass guess based on nothing. Could have said 16-0 or 0-16 and been just as relevant.

Wild ass guess based on the past. None of these guys are good enough to win consistently. I'm tired of the same ole Rams teams that need a dominant defense to show up; get them a defensive TD, and that is our recipe to a W. That is not gonna consistently happen. We need a QB that can actually produce.

RamzFanz

Damnit
This is probably the biggest offseason question and one they can't screw up.

It all boils down to options. Right now, the default position has to be Keenum. The starting point. Assume that's the best you have with Mannion as a wildcard.

Is there a better answer in the draft or FA? Can we get one of them if there is? Can we get them ready for the season?

Rams are one, three point loss in OT, game out from the playoffs this season even with the mid-season meltdown. We don't need that much to make this team a postseason team. Keenum or Mannion could be that guy especially with some real help on the line and WR corps.

Regardless, they may be the only realistically viable options available to the rams so they better have an idea by the draft and build around one of them.

A strong o-line with Gurley and TA with this D is a winning combination if you just have WR help and a decent QB, IMHO.

I guess what I'm saying is if KC or Manion is the best choice available, I don't think it's a deal breaker, I think it's a situation you can build around.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wild ass guess based on the past. None of these guys are good enough to win consistently. I'm tired of the same ole Rams teams that need a dominant defense to show up; get them a defensive TD, and that is our recipe to a W. That is not gonna consistently happen. We need a QB that can actually produce.
Produce.You mean like wins and loses, right because personal stats don't mean jack shit. Produce like the first win in Seattle in 10 years. Like the first 3 game winning streak since????

Anytime there is an opportunity to make the team better you have to go for it. But sometimes you get Foles

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, Keenum having little experience at all, changing teams, changing offenses, having few reps with his targets in practice, Apparently has no possibility of building on what he has done in short time?

How do you experts suppose to know that?

He has done well leading the team, his passes are accurate and catchable, and the team is playing with a confidence, in December, that I have not seen since the GSOT days. How can the reason be because the Defense is so great, missing Ogletree,Quinn TJ, Gaines, (and Baron early in the Seattle game.)? Keenum has been the major change in the offenses progress.