Case Keenum 3-1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Willie

Starter
I don't think he is the answer, but had he been at the helm all reason the Rams would be in the playoffs IMO.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I think we can all agree that we need to trade Foles in the offseason if possible, even for a low pick, or cut him. Extend Keenum and draft a qb to have compete with Mannion as well. This is going to be one of the most important offseasons in a long time. With how free agency is, a number of our guys could be gone next year to teams that overpay. We could see Jenkins, Johnson, Barron, Hayes, Fairly all go. Not to mention guys getting cut like JL, Long, Saffold, Cook. We need to get long term stability at the QB position. Keenum has shown that he is a very high caliber backup option if your top guy goes down. If our defense gets taken from us by other teams, we will need the offense to step up and score more points.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think he is the answer, but had he been at the helm all reason the Rams would be in the playoffs IMO.

Eh, I don't know about that. We did lose to the Ravens in his first game as a starter. Don't know if the losses change.

Frankly, the bullshit of it all is that we could have still made the playoffs even with how bad things have been. We lost to Minnesota in OT but we should have won in regulation. We lost to the Ravens on a last second FG that should have never happened. And we lost to the Steelers after Kendricks dropped the game winning TD and Foles threw that terrible pick.(in retrospect, Keenum might have won us the Pittsburgh game)

If we win one of those games, we'd be playing next week for the playoffs.(if Seattle lost to Arizona, we'd be in) If we win two of those games, we're in. If we win all three, we're easily in.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keenum will whoop any competition in camp. Bring in anybody you can find.

A55VA6

Legend
Keenum is 3-1 in his last 4 with 54/88, 597 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT, 94.7 Passer rating. Nothing spectaular, but doing just enough to win. Couldn't ask for more from a 'backup' QB. Plays smart, takes his deep shots at the right time, and they've been great throws.

Like everyone else is saying, I don't think he's a franchise QB or anything but if we can find a starter, Keenum would be a comfortable backup to have.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I just don't think any team could expect to make a championship run averaging less than 150 yards in the air a game.

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson both were pretty limited in what they did on offense and both did better than 150 their respective SB years.

As mentioned, Case might be a great backup, but I'm not sure he's carrying anyone to the promised land.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
More Ws than Ls. I'm pretty fucking easy to win over. 4 WINS in a row? Forget about it. He's my guy. The most prolific college passer of all time ....Could be our Drew Breeze.....And some people want to go back to potential over production? Love all of my Rams' bruddahs....but I'd never go into business with a few of you.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
With Davis it was a matter of hiding his flaws. With Keenum it appears they can build on what he's doing. Not saying he's the next franchise qb but he's certainly worth bringing to camp next year

My take is similar to Jerry's. Keenum is way better than Foles. Way better! But he's not who we want to bank on next year as our guy. He's an above average #2.
But I really don't think he will bring us to, and through, the playoffs. I like him a lot as a person. He's a good guy.

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'm not saying that Case is the answer, I don't think he is moving forward.
However, is he a 'bridge' QB until we find the answer for the future?

I think 'maybe' he is the latter. Just 'maybe'.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why not Keenum? Right now he is the best they've got. He is doing good, winning with a rookie Oline, a suspect group of receiving e rd and a new OC. It isn't like he has great weapons and all the time to throw. Even Rodgers struggles when his top targets are injured., and he has been in the same offense for a decade.

Getting a better QB is not a sure thing. If they draft one, he likely won't be ready or any better with the state of the pass catchers. And who is out there that is better and available? Are the Jets going to let Fitz walk? Teams don't let good QBs go every year.

For now Keenum is the answer.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the Austin Davis treatment this offseason.

I am not sure why you think that. Davis was figured out and everyone saw it. Why waste the snaps?

Not the answer and anyone who believes that is nuts. That said I like him as a back-up here. He has been effective in that role.

Just? Let me ask.Do the Rams win in any of there losses with Keenum this year? How how many? Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Minnesota? Three wins changes the season. Is he THE answer? Not if Aaron Rodgers level is the question. But if we are talking Alex Smith level,then sure and before the season many were saying that is all that Folds has to be for this team to make the playoffs. I think that is true.

Keenum played extremely well. He was decisive every throw and was accurate. He stood tall in the pocket.

He was helped by a lot of defensive turnovers and recoveries for the win. But he managed the game perfectly. Again.

Let's not forget Keenum had a few drops by Wr's or his stat line could have looked better.

More importantly, let's remember he is executing the Jeff Fisher approach which goes into safe mode any time there is a 2 score lead. And Keenum has no pro bowl Wr's to throw to.

The offense needs more talent and its not just QB. Keenum may be the next Alex Smith or Rixh Gannon. We know he's not Aaron Rodgers but th chances are there is no Elite Qb available in the offseason in FA or the draft.

Give me more lineman and some stud Wr's. I'll roll with Keenum unless there is some can't miss talent to be had.

Agreed

Let us not forget that Gurley has also racked up 4 TDs in the 3 games when Keenum returned....

Yea, having the Todd helps.

Todd is the ONLY reason this offense can score still. The only reason, actually, we've been scoring TDs at all this season considering he single-handedly has as many offensive TDs by himself as the team has passing TDs.

I'd rather take pressure off of Gurley to see what he can really do with a quality, legit starting QB, to maximize HIS ability.

Still not seeing that with Keenum.

It is a team sport. Get better weapons. More better line play and Keenum's play should improve. Is there any QB that players with this current assemblage of talent and coaches?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Has anyone thought that maybe it was Fisher's idea to sit Mannion for a year or two to solidify the offense before he steps in? I mean, they took him in the 3rd round. You don't typically draft a QB in the 3rd round when you have so many holes unless you think he can play. If the Rams drafted an NFL quality WR (Michael Thomas, Laquon Treadwell), TE, and maybe upgraded the line, then you have a situation where a young QB can succeed. The Rams aren't in the running for Lynch or Goff, Cook can't even complete 60% in college, and everyone else would probably be a backup. So if you're not getting Lynch or Goff, focus on building the most talented offense you can around the QBs that won't lose the game for you (or could possibly turn into a stud, we don't know)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Keenum has earned a spot to compete in 2016, but no way in Hell am i ready to anoint him, extend him etc...that's crazy too soon talk.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
@Elmgrovegnome

Keenum is not Alex Smith level if that's what you are claiming. I'm not expecting the next Rams QB to be league MVP like A-Rod (that would be nice of course) but I expect him to be better than what the ceiling of Keenum is. Keenum hasn't accomplished much outside of STL. He's got us some wins, but we don't win much when QB's put up what he put up today. I'm not knocking his performance today. He played mistake free and managed well but if the team is ever going to take a step out of mediocrity it will need a QB that can take over games every once and a while. If the best you can hope from your QB is 200 yards and 1 TD while praying he doesn't make any turnovers, then you are going to need to have an amazing defense that plays up the level of outstanding week in week out. In the NFL this is difficult if not impossible due to injury, natural regression, salary, and personal changes in staff and players.

Keenum has done well and won games, but there have been plenty of QBs to come into spot duty and win a few, then go on to flame out. Kevin Kolb, Austin Davis, Tim Tebow, Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski, and currently guys like Gabbert or Brandon Weeden in Houston now, or Hoyer in Houston and Cleveland.

The point is, it would be a mistake to go into next season with Keenum penciled in at the #1 QB spot.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's a RFA so the Rams won't have to break any piggy banks to keep him around.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It won't matter who the QB is until they bring in better receivers. No QB would have gotten more yards with this group.

FrankenRam

Starter
I think we can all agree that we need to trade Foles in the offseason if possible, even for a low pick, or cut him. .....

Nice theory, but I doubt either one will happen....

1) Who would trade for Foles at this point. If memory serves, he's guaranteed something in the neighborhood of $6mil next season. At best, some other team might consider him for a backup role. And who is going to take him on at $6mil as a backup(?)

2) Ok, if we can't trade him, let's just cut him. But remember that salary....$6mil regardless of whether he plays a down or is sitting at home sucking down brewskies with the rest of us. And if they do that, then they have to find someone to fill the backup role. What's that going to cost? Could we find a decent backup for say...$1.5mill? I kinda doubt it unless you're willing to accept maybe an Austin Davis level QB. But let's say we do get lucky and find someone to sign in that range. Now the Rams have roughly $7.5mil total wrapped up in the 'backup QB'.

About the only way I see Foles not being part of the team next year is if Mannion is ready to fill the backup role and Keenum is your likely #1...., or they draft someone that can either step right into the starting role (pretty unlikely). Then Keenum becomes the backup and Mannion can continue to develop.

If you want to trade a QB that might actually have a little trade value, it would be Keenum. He might net you something like a 4th or 5th rounder. But obviously, that only happens if the Rams feel they have a better option for starter.

Hate to say it, but I fully expect Foles to be a Ram next year. I just don't see them tying up that much $$ to have him sit at home.