Case Keenum 3-1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Case for Case Keenum

He plays with confidence, isn't rattled by pressure, hits recievers in stride, gets the offense out of the huddle, makes the necessary adjustments at the line... and does it for a team that hasn't been able to get that out of a QB in a long time.

He's no gunslinger but he has got a passers arm, ask the NCAA record books.
He can win with THIS offense. Does he have 1 WR who he can count on to get open? No. But he can read the field and find one.
Does he get great protection? No. But he gets a little and makes it work.
Does he have a great OC who can scheme wins? Nope.

I get the apprehension but he is NOTHING like Austin Davis. More like Kellen Clemens but with accuracy.

I am sick of the emphasis on potential. I just want a guy who can play QB. Case is a QB. He makes good decisions, throws catchable passes to his recievers, isn't rattled by pressure and has a little mobility. Who is the last guy who played QB for us that you could say all those things?

If he isn't signed for next year and given a fair shake, I'll be pissed.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I am not sure why you think that. Davis was figured out and everyone saw it. Why waste the snaps?

Mannion is not going anywhere. The team could use a 1st round choice on a QB. And the team could bring in another veteran whom they deem is better (if they don't keep Foles due to his contract).

Sure the Rams (NOT KEENUM) have won 3 games with Keenum at QB, but he threw for 124 yards vs. Detroit and the offense only scored 14 points. He threw for 103 yards vs. Seattle (a team the Rams matchup very well against) and the offense only scored 16 points. His big game was a 234 yard passing effort vs. Tampa. C'mon. Quite frankly, one could argue that the defense had more to do with these wins the Keenum.

While he should get a fair shot, they'd be crazy not to look for an upgrade and it wouldn't shock me if he weren't given one due to the limited snaps teams get during the offseason.

BTW, keep in mind that Davis had less experience and didn't have Gurley or Austin being used as effectively to help take the pressure off like Keenum.

RamWoodie

Legend
Keenum will whoop any competition in camp. Bring in anybody you can find.
I hope you're kidding. This isn't a knock on Keenum, but there's a reason he's been a backup. I'm interested in what the kid Mannion can do also, because I don't know.

I do know this...Tom Brady became Tom Brady because he got a shot. That's not saying Mannion is Tom Brady...JUST GIVE THE GUY A SHOT!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Mannion is not going anywhere. The team could use a 1st round choice on a QB. And the team could bring in another veteran whom they deem is better (if they don't keep Foles due to his contract).

Sure the Rams (NOT KEENUM) have won 3 games with Keenum at QB, but he threw for 124 yards vs. Detroit and the offense only scored 14 points. He threw for 103 yards vs. Seattle (a team the Rams matchup very well against) and the offense only scored 16 points. His big game was a 234 yard passing effort vs. Tampa. C'mon. Quite frankly, one could argue that the defense had more to do with these wins the Keenum.

While he should get a fair shot, they'd be crazy not to look for an upgrade and it wouldn't shock me if he weren't given one due to the limited snaps teams get during the offseason.

BTW, keep in mind that Davis had less experience and didn't have Gurley or Austin being used as effectively to help take the pressure off like Keenum.

That's a hell of a way to look at all of that... picking out the parts you like.

He threw a TD pass over Sherman, at Seattle in the rain, the noise, and it proved to be the difference.
With preparation, he played a near flawless game in prime time on Thursday night.
Against Detroit he did all that he was asked to do.

You can say THE RAMS won those games(not Keenum) but show me where he did anything to lose them?
Show me where his presence hasn't made a positive impact on those wins.

Personally I don't think it's a coincidence that we had not won at Seattle in 10 years and the last guy who did was Bulger. I think it's because Keenum played better at Seattle than any QB we've had since Bulger...

fancents86

Starter
Keenum has definitely earned a spot on our roster, but it's as a back up. Besides the Seahawks, he has beat average teams, and even though it was In Seattle, beating our division rivals is sort of our MO. No matter who is at the helm. Bc of that this game really doesn't have as much effect on me like it would some others. This game wasn't won bc of qb play or play design, Barnes pretty much saved this game for us. It wasn't for him we prob would have been screwed.

Last edited:

MountainRam

Rookie
Why do people forget Foles was 4-3 before the wheels came off? Should not Rams wait until Keenum played 10 games or so?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why do people forget Foles was 4-3 before the wheels came off?

Because even when he was winning games he looked horribly inaccurate and his throws were always late and his mistakes were awful and hard to explain and that was after having all the first team reps all offseason?

Big Willie

Starter
Eh, I don't know about that. We did lose to the Ravens in his first game as a starter. Don't know if the losses change.

Frankly, the bullcrap of it all is that we could have still made the playoffs even with how bad things have been. We lost to Minnesota in OT but we should have won in regulation. We lost to the Ravens on a last second FG that should have never happened. And we lost to the Steelers after Kendricks dropped the game winning TD and Foles threw that terrible pick.(in retrospect, Keenum might have won us the Pittsburgh game)

If we win one of those games, we'd be playing next week for the playoffs.(if Seattle lost to Arizona, we'd be in) If we win two of those games, we're in. If we win all three, we're easily in.
Sounds like you agree with me. I didn't say the Rams would be undefeated...I just think they would have won one or two more games had he been the starter all year. But we all know about hindsight.....

BadCompany

Rookie
I'm not saying that Case is the answer, I don't think he is moving forward.
However, is he a 'bridge' QB until we find the answer for the future?

I think 'maybe' he is the latter. Just 'maybe'.

That's what I'm wondering. I mean they drafted Mannion for a reason right? Was it to be a backup or a starter? If it's to be a starter then when? And how good are they expecting him to be? Can Keenum and (gulp!) Foles win us enough games to keep us in playoff contention until Mannion is ready, whenever that might be?

Or was Mannion a complete waste of a pick made by Fisher and Snead because everyone said they needed to draft a QB and they succumbed to media pressure? Isn't that what drafting or trading for a QB now without ever having given Mannion a chance would be implicitly saying?

MountainRam

Rookie
Oh The sanity and clarity the posters have here looking at 3 games and thinking it is sustainable is mind blowing

fearsomefour

Legend
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the Austin Davis treatment this offseason.
Could be.
However Fisher wanted Keenum and traded for him. I think they will try to resign him and bring in competition for the starting job, at least, thats what I think they should do.
He has been solid and hasn't turned the ball over really. That is half the battle with a good D and running game.
He can by a valuable member of the team for sure, already is. To me, he is an ideal back up. A guy who is smart, will do his work and can come in and take care of the ball. There are plays he can't make for sure and he won't beat anyone with his arm, but, he can be a smart QB.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
4 inches taller and the whole fanbase would call Keenum the future...

Thank God the Rams didn't use height = future when they selected Aaron Donald....

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Explain how you know this please.

If he was 6'5", would your opinion be different?

No I don't think so. Although I do think height for a QB matters. Wilson and Brees are the exception, not the rule.

He doesn't possess good arm strength and makes questionable decisions. Could've thrown two pick 6's in our last two games, but the defenders dropped both.

He's not winning us games....he's just not losing them.

We need an upgrade at QB to get past this ceiling we've seemed to hit (7-9/8-8).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If anything this underscores how bad Foles was.

This statement above must be placed in front of any of my thoughts on Case. Just a real bad decision by the Rams Org. in 2015 & a very costly one to boot. I sure do not want Nick Foles involved in any off season discussions as one of the three top Ram QB's. It obvious having his name in with our 3 QB's on our roster brings that quality down a large amount so I want him gone and leave me with his serious cap hit and I will be happy.

Yesterday in the Chat room I stated that he looks-appears to be a capable possible game manager...nothing more. Having any other thoughts with Case as anything more is a waste of my time. So the best I could hope for in 2016 is Case is resigned & ends up being 1 of our 4 competing QB's as one of the back ups.

I would fully expect that Snead will sign a veteran QB in free agency & draft another QB to help kill any future issues in this position. Let the four QB's fight it out as to which will get the starting post.

#1-Total release of Nick Foles
#2-Resign Case Keenum RFA
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/case-keenum/
#3-Sign a veteran QB in free agency
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/case-keenum/
#4-Draft a QB in the 2016 NFL draft
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/QB
#5-Get Sean Mannion all the help they possible can that's legal in the off season to be ready to fully compete.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No I don't think so. Although I do think height for a QB matters. Wilson and Brees are the exception, not the rule.

He doesn't possess good arm strength and makes questionable decisions. Could've thrown two pick 6's in our last two games, but the defenders dropped both.

He's not winning us games....he's just not losing them.

We need an upgrade at QB to get past this ceiling we've seemed to hit (7-9/8-8).
Fair enough... but I'm not sure that he wasn't "winning" the thursday game.

And while he wasn't a revelation at Seattle in the weather, who has been in recent years?

I might be overselling him, but it's to give balance to the underselling going on. It's just my nature as a devils advocate... :)

jjab360

Legend
I really don't think Keenum's play should be ignored just because we've been burnt by QBs having short runs of good play before.

This guy is playing at a really high level right now, seeing the entire field (head on a swivel, doesn't lock in like Foles and Sam), quick release, strong arm, accuracy, and mobility. There's a reason he was the most productive college QB of all time, we might just have something here.