PREGAME Cardinals at Rams - What do we need to do to win on MNF?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams knew Rapp was out earlier this week. That tweet means Weddle wasn't too much a liability in practice and probably showed a decent grasp of the calls.

They may give the dot to someone else. But Weddle's going to be responsible for back end alignment when he's in there.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Screaming Andy Samberg GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I posted this in another thread but I hope McVay runs Sony Michel A LOT. Keep the Cards O on the sideline, where they can't expose our secondary.

jap

Legend
Running Sony is very important. However, at least equally is getting Cam Akers back up to speed - giving us a two-headed monster at RB with two different running styles. That will force opponents to gameplan for two different running styles and further stress their defense. It also opens up Stafford's passing game where he can effectively employ play action passes to incinerate opposing secondaries with Cooper, OBJ, Van, Tyler, Cam, and Sony. (Yes, I know Sony isn't the greatest receiving RB, but we have to use him in the passing attack otherwise having him as the sole RB will mean he is either running or pass-blocking only. That is way too much of a giveaway for the savvy playoff defenses we are going to face!) Getting the ground and P/A games going should help insure that Matthew should find much more wide open or single-covered opportunities rather than having to try to thread passes through a maze of defensive hands to find a single Horns receiver in a crowd of defenders.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My hope is that Kingsbury falls for the banana in the tail pipe and leans towards an aggressive 10 personnel attack because of the Rams' issues in the secondary.

The Rams on defense WANT teams to drop back and sling it, but the smart teams don't fall for it. They pound the run and get the pass out quick and hold the ball.

Worst case scenario is we get a ton of Edmunds and Conner on 1st and 2nd down and Murray creating while running to the sidelines.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cards were 8-1 on the road, Rams 5-3 at home. This one gets talked up and it should be. Cards and Rams are both better on the road. Advantage AZ in this one.

Some other trends:

Day games
Rams 8-3
Cards 11-3

Night games
Rams 4-2
Cards 0-3

Indoors
Rams 9-3
Cards 5-6

Outdoors
Rams 3-2
Cards 6-0

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My hope is that Kingsbury falls for the banana in the tail pipe and leans towards an aggressive 10 personnel attack because of the Rams' issues in the secondary.

The Rams on defense WANT teams to drop back and sling it, but the smart teams don't fall for it. They pound the run and get the pass out quick and hold the ball.

Worst case scenario is we get a ton of Edmunds and Conner on 1st and 2nd down and Murray creating while running to the sidelines.

There might be a mistake in our backend to exploit, but… yeah… lets hope its tempting for the Cards as it might play more into our game. (y)

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we can't run the ball, we lose.
If we can't cause turnovers on D, we lose.

The game is that simple to me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Wild Card Preview: Rams playoff journey begins under the lights at SoFi Stadium​

The 2021 Los Angeles Rams did it in October. Then, they did it again in December.

Now, their ultimate goal comes down to putting together another four-game winning streak, this time against the best competition the NFL has to offer.

It's a journey that starts – and conceivably ends – at SoFi Stadium.

It took the better part of a calendar year, 17 games, and 12 victories to earn this opportunity – to play into the NFL's second season and host an NFC playoff contest.

It only takes four more wins to be remembered forever.

A Season of Firsts

If we go back in time, the story of the Rams 2021 campaign really began with the blockbuster trade for Matthew Stafford, and the paradox of exchanging Jared Goff – the youngest NFC Champion quarterback in league history, who had regressed in the two seasons that followed – for a 12-year veteran without a postseason win on his resume.

So far, it's gone according to plan. The Rams were exponentially more explosive on offense, scored more points, were more efficient, and won the West.

And they were this close to capitalizing at home in Week 18 and finishing Stafford's first regular season as a Ram as the NFC's two-seed, tied for the most wins in the NFL. It was not to be. And the road to the Super Bowl got incrementally more difficult as a result.

Now it's go time: Stafford needs to break through, and the Rams collectively need to deliver his first playoff win.

You've heard this narrative a lot this week (and this year), I'm sure.

Per Elias, Stafford's 323 career touchdown passes are the most in NFL history without prevailing in a postseason game. 86 wins as a starter trails only Jim Hart (87), as well.

The good news is, Stafford's checked off a bunch of firsts this season as a Ram, including his first division title – prevailing in the best division in football, at that – to deliver this home playoff game.

And by the way, the other quarterback – Kyler Murray – is also seeking his first playoff win. The difference, of course, is that this will be his first taste of the NFL postseason.

The Cards You're Dealt

Of the six Wild Card games, five are regular season rematches (49ers and Cowboys is the only "fresh" matchup), so the Rams and Cardinals aren't alone in their familiarity.

Without legendary J.J. Watt, the Arizona defense fell off a cliff. The Cardinals allowed the fewest points per game in the NFL through seven weeks. But since the future Hall of Famer's injury, they've allowed the highest QBR in the league and surrendered nearly nine more points per game, per ESPN research. Watt may return on Monday.

Without DeAndre Hopkins, their offense has slipped, too. The Cardinals were 8-2, scoring better than 30 per week when Hopkins played this season. Those figures dipped to 21 points per game when he did not. Hopkins won't be back in time for the Wild Card collision at SoFi Stadium.

Arizona finished the regular season in a tailspin that the Rams initiated back in Week 14, another Monday Night affair. The Cardinals have only won once since then – a road triumph at Dallas, of all places.

But do not underestimate them.

This is largely the same group that stunned the Rams in Week 4. The same bunch that had second-and-goal from the L.A. four-yard line with a chance to take a 10-0 lead in Week 14.

Man Up

And Murray's more than capable of making magic. He's gone for over 750 yards against the Rams this year.

Per Next Gen Stats, Murray led the NFL in QBR versus zone coverage this season, and the Rams defense played zone at the second-highest rate in the NFL. So while Murray surely wasn't angling for another dance with Aaron Donald, Leonard Floyd, Greg Gaines, and Von Miller, there's a case to be made that this matchup plays into his preferences.

Somewhat of a similar story for Stafford against the Arizona defense.

His numbers weren't as strong in the back half of the schedule, as opponents stopped blitzing him and instead played coverage to tamp down L.A.'s explosive passing game. Since Week 9, Stafford's been blitzed at the second-lowest rate in the league, nearly half the rate he faced the first eight weeks, according to ESPN research.

Fortunately for the Rams, the Cardinals blitz at the third-highest rate in the league this season. Stafford's 139.6 passer rating against extra rushers this season is the highest in the Next Gen Stats era (since 2016), per NFL research.

Road Field Advantage?

This strange narrative was percolating when we traveled to Glendale in December, but now it's even more pronounced. The Cardinals understandably might be relieved to be the road team in this Wild Card game.

They boast the best away record in the league (8-1), and two of those wins were against division rivals with Colt McCoy filling in behind center.

Conversely, the Cardinals finished just 3-5 in their building, averaging nearly seven points per game fewer inside State Farm Stadium.

And albeit in a much smaller sample size, the road team did win both regular season meetings between the Rams and Cardinals in 2021.

So, yes, there's a trend that needs to be reversed on Monday.

Age Is Just a (Big) Number

After season after season of being one of the youngest rosters in the NFL, you wake up and the Rams have the oldest active roster in the playoffs, according to average age.

And that's before activating formerly retired, 37-year-old safety Eric Weddle!

The Quadruple Crown

In an ongoing effort to say something new about Cooper Kupp, I present to you the Quadruple Crown.

The catches, yards, and touchdowns you’re well aware of.

But during a season in which he had the second most receptions and receiving yards in NFL history, Pro Football Focus also scored 357 run blocking reps for Kupp – top five among receivers. That's 21 per game. And he graded out at an admirable 73.5, better than any peer with at least 250 such opportunities.

To me, it's the most remarkable element of the year he put together.

Here's a brief reminder that Aaron Donald isn't going to win Defensive Player of the Year, simply because of voter fatigue and being measured against the ridiculously high bar he's set for himself.

I will acknowledge he's coming off the lowest-graded game of his season. But back in Week 14 against these Cardinals, he took over – from the first rush, to the last.

Seven pressures, three sacks and a batted pass that led to a red zone interception.

We said it at the outset of the season, and it bears repeating here. Let someone else have the NFL honors this year. The only thing Donald's trophy case needs is a ring.

Injuries and Health

To tie the last two sections together, you have to be psyched about the opportunity in front of this team. Because we've all shared the sentiment, "Here's hoping the Rams don't ever finish another season without Kupp in uniform."

If you're a Rams fan, you know that Super Bowl LIII might have been different had Kupp played. Like me, you probably believe that the Divisional loss at Green Bay could have looked different had he dressed, too. Likewise, if Donald had been 100 percent.

So while I'm heartbroken that Robert Woods doesn't get to attack this postseason run, and that the loss of Jordan Fuller added injury to insult last weekend, the nucleus of the Rams is still ready to rock.

Stafford, Kupp, the entire offensive line, Tyler Higbee, Odell Beckham Jr.

And now Cam Akers back, with a game under his belt.

Donald, Miller, Floyd, Gaines, and Jalen Ramsey are set to chase a championship on defense.

This is a roster the Rams could have only dreamed of bringing to Wild Card weekend after a 17-game gauntlet.

They've got a great look at this thing and all the personnel they need to square up with any opponent in the field.

RamWoodie

Legend
I think you be prepared defensively to see Murray resort run more to put pressure on the Ram secondary. If he senses pressure...he's gonna take off. The Ram front line can't just go after him. Keep him in sight.

Kingsbury will want the Ram secondary on their heels all game.

On offense, the Rams need to put concentrated effort on running Michel and Akers so the play action game comes alive. My problem here is McVay calls a terrible running game. I hate that Henderson won't be playing because he could be huge in the pass game too.

gogoat1

Starter
Name
Troy
What do we have to do ?
Well, when we have a chance to seal the game, take it !
Force the issue.
Oh, and plant the little QB like a tent peg.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you be prepared defensively to see Murray resort run more to put pressure on the Ram secondary. If he senses pressure...he's gonna take off. The Ram front line can't just go after him. Keep him in sight.

Kingsbury will want the Ram secondary on their heels all game.

On offense, the Rams need to put concentrated effort on running Michel and Akers so the play action game comes alive. My problem here is McVay calls a terrible running game. I hate that Henderson won't be playing because he could be huge in the pass game too.
I think you're correct re: Murray running more. That will be a focus for them. They'll also move the pocket given how bad they were dominated up front last game.

We really shouldn't lose this one in the trenches, unless they get Watt back and they play lights out. That's really what I care about in this one. I want to see both lines play well. Do that and we should advance.