CAMP REPORT Camp Reports Tuesday 7-30-24

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
DB's - Tre'Davious White sure looks healthy and ready to play! I know McVay says he wants to be smart with him, and I agree with that, but he was out there quite a bit, full speed, making plays all over the place. I'm really excited we were able to get him after seeing him out there today. And sharing his knowledge with the younger players and WR's? Could be the steal of free agency. Quentin Lake really impressed out there today. I had my doubts after his first year but he's really coming into his own. I saw a lot of Cobie Durant out there today but not a lot thrown his way, hopefully that's a good sign.
I have seen White play quite a bit watching Buffalo the last few years and he is awesome.

However, I will admit that I was greatly concerned with him coming back first from an ACL injury and then an achilles injury.

I hope I continue to be wrong.

Tano

Legend
Hoecht is such an asset to have from a depth standpoint as well as an extra pass rusher at times.
Just don't have him cover players deep on pass plays anymore.

If they run pass him, make sure he has someone to pass the guy off to.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Note is a quality backup. Ajax being hurt reminds me that the Rams are one injury away from starting a backup at LT.

He's a very high quality back up. Many teams would love to have a back up plan like that.

Looks like it will be a combination of the two again this season the way aj keeps going down.

dang

Legend
He's a very high quality back up. Many teams would love to have a back up plan like that.

Looks like it will be a combination of the two again this season the way aj keeps going down.

I realize a team can’t count on injury free seasons but I really hope we don’t have a revolving door at LT this year. I was hoping for a dominant clock-controlling run game this year to reduce the need for Stafford to be Superman in key games this year.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
QB's - Stafford makes everyone else look bad. Don't get me wrong, Jimmy G looked poised out there, moved around well in the pocket but just doesn't have the zip and precision that Stafford shows. To be fair he wasn't throwing to Kupp and Puka. Stetson didn't get in the 11's on 11's until the very end when the 3rd stringers got out there for a few plays completed a couple short passes under 5 yards so hard to really tell anything.
What is going to be interesting is how much work Jimmy gets in preseason. Stafford of course probably won't sniff the field. But Jimmy will be in Cancun to start the season so it might not be a bad idea to get him some extra work with the top unit for the first possession or quarter as teams used to do with the starters.

Either way Stetson should get a ton of work, as he's gonna be default QB2 barring him shitting the bed. Hope he makes the most of it.

TE's - Colby Parkinson seems to be 1st string for now. Makes a lot of contested catches, misses some too. Has a good catch radius but is really known for his blocking. Davis Allen played with the two's but got in with ones as well. Seemed everything on offense today was run out of 11 personnel so didn't get to see them on the field at the same time. Allen just looks like he's ready to break out, catches most everything that comes his way. I think a lot of us have high hopes for this kid and rightly so. Hunter Long played with the Two's made a couple short catches didn't really stand out. Still waiting.
Yeah I think Parkinson is a Higs type. He's the blocking TE you put out there with Kupp running all the slot threat. But like Higs he's got ability so maybe this TE coach can bring it out of him in this scheme.

Allen just has those soft mitts. Exceptional hands, the type 9 will be willing to feed if he needs to. And he's a big ass target too.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
What is going to be interesting is how much work Jimmy gets in preseason. Stafford of course probably won't sniff the field. But Jimmy will be in Cancun to start the season so it might not be a bad idea to get him some extra work with the top unit for the first possession or quarter as teams used to do with the starters.

Either way Stetson should get a ton of work, as he's gonna be default QB2 barring him shitting the bed. Hope he makes the most of it.

Yeah I think Parkinson is a Higs type. He's the blocking TE you put out there with Kupp running all the slot threat. But like Higs he's got ability so maybe this TE coach can bring it out of him in this scheme.

Allen just has those soft mitts. Exceptional hands, the type 9 will be willing to feed if he needs to. And he's a big ass target too.
I agree on Jimmy, would really like to see him out there for the first quarter or so in preseason.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
We’re so lucky to have Boom. We have great starters *and* great depth this year.
Yes we are.
I don’t expect Jackson, Havs, or Noteboom to play every game this year. They didn’t LAST year. It was a three Tackle rotation with Havs and Jackson starting most of the games. The Rams have 3 solid Tackles. Not many teams can say that.

Tano

Legend
Yes we are.
I don’t expect Jackson, Havs, or Noteboom to play every game this year. They didn’t LAST year. It was a three Tackle rotation with Havs and Jackson starting most of the games. The Rams have 3 solid Tackles. Not many teams can say that.
I think McClendon might be a solid 4th OT (at least at right tackle)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So much good stuff posted. I trust what I read here more than what the pros say. Thanks everyone.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I mentioned this before, if you go back and look, Parkinson was drafted right ahead of where the Rams took Hopkins. I am guessing Parkinson was their likley target and they then settled for Hopkins as they must have forced need there.

I believe that was the offseason they lost Everett and needed a young TE to pair with Higbee. They ended up using Mundt and Blanton more than Hopkins.

And then consider that they went and got Parkinson, a back up blocking TE on day 1 of FA, looks like they were all in on him for awhile. In any event they were correct in Parkinson could be a perfect replacement for Higbee, just had to wait 4 yrs for him.

dang

Legend
Yes we are.
My personal feelings are it’s a long season but we have solid IOL depth/versatility. I don’t worry about Havs. So my concern is the Ajax/Note tandem being healthy enough/effective enough to hold down LT through the long season.

Tano

Legend
I mentioned this before, if you go back and look, Parkinson was drafted right ahead of where the Rams took Hopkins. I am guessing Parkinson was their likley target and they then settled for Hopkins as they must have forced need there.

I believe that was the offseason they lost Everett and needed a young TE to pair with Higbee. They ended up using Mundt and Blanton more than Hopkins.

And then consider that they went and got Parkinson, a back up blocking TE on day 1 of FA, looks like they were all in on him for awhile. In any event they were correct in Parkinson could be a perfect replacement for Higbee, just had to wait 4 yrs for him.
They should never force a pick. They could have gotten Biadesz instead of Hopkins.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They should never force a pick. They could have gotten Biadesz instead of Hopkins.
Agree to some extent, but all teams do it. Coaches/GMs look at the roster they are building for that year, and fill holes, especially in later rounds. Often resources are limited, so if you have a hole that you couldn't fill in FA, you try to draft a guy that can fill that role.

It may turn out that Fiske is a good player, but they likley will have passed on a big playmaker at WR that will be considered a much better player 3 yrs from now. So did they force need, especially with a trade up? Sure they did. That's what happens.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Agree to some extent, but all teams do it. Coaches/GMs look at the roster they are building for that year, and fill holes, especially in later rounds. Often resources are limited, so if you have a hole that you couldn't fill in FA, you try to draft a guy that can fill that role.

It may turn out that Fiske is a good player, but they likley will have passed on a big playmaker at WR that will be considered a much better player 3 yrs from now. So did they force need, especially with a trade up? Sure they did. That's what happens.
Those are great points. but I tink I agree w/ @Tano here -- even if TE was a need, was it as big as the gaping hole we had at Center?? we were mostly OK still at TE. And they could be drafted later. But we were NOT OK at center, haven't been for a while now, since Sullivan.

We might've passed on some good WR's but I like our current cadre, and the opportunity to get Fiske as a force multiplier for Verse...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those are great points. but I tink I agree w/ @Tano here -- even if TE was a need, was it as big as the gaping hole we had at Center?? we were mostly OK still at TE. And they could be drafted later. But we were NOT OK at center, haven't been for a while now, since Sullivan.

We might've passed on some good WR's but I like our current cadre, and the opportunity to get Fiske as a force multiplier for Verse...
I think in three years, the NFL will look back on Fiske's early career and ask, "How did the Rams do it? How did they replace a first ballot HOFer with a guy who didn't miss a beat at 3 Tech?" I also think the tandem of Fiske and Verse is gonna blow minds this year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think in three years, the NFL will look back on Fiske's early career and ask, "How did the Rams do it? How did they replace a first ballot HOFer with a guy who didn't miss a beat a 3 Tech?" I also think the tandem of Fiske and Verse is gonna blow minds this year.
I just used Fiske as a example going all in for need. I too think he will be worth the pick and trade.

I could have used Kinchens as an example of grabbing a S based on need, and we may have passed on a much better player who also might be at a need position. It's a crap shoot.

If Hopkins played every game like he did in the SB, then we wouldn't care about passing on a center. Even now, considering how critical he was in the SB, I still take Hopkins based on that one game. Without him McVay might be 0-2 in the big game.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I just used Fiske as a example going all in for need. I too think he will be worth the pick and trade.

I could have used Kinchens as an example of grabbing a S based on need, and we may have passed on a much better player who also might be at a need position. It's a crap shoot.

If Hopkins played every game like he did in the SB, then we wouldn't care about passing on a center. Even now, considering how critical he was in the SB, I still take Hopkins based on that one game. Without him McVay might be 0-2 in the big game.
ooooh, good point -- so many stepped into their "next man up" roles, and he certainly was one of them. 4 rec's / 47 yds at the prime TE position. needed that production. he prolly got some key catches / made some key blocks as well, I just can't recall atm.
He might've been available w/ our next pick tho.
oh we had 7 sacks that game?? wow.

dang

Legend

Not trying to be a smart ass. Just looking for more insight to your thought process. Who other than Adonai Mitchell do you think would have been available at 52 that would be a big playmaker at WR.

Tano

Legend
ooooh, good point -- so many stepped into their "next man up" roles, and he certainly was one of them. 4 rec's / 47 yds at the prime TE position. needed that production. he prolly got some key catches / made some key blocks as well, I just can't recall atm.
He might've been available w/ our next pick tho.
oh we had 7 sacks that game?? wow.
I still would have gone with Biadesz.

TEs like Hopkins are a dime a dozen and I feel we would have had another TE to make those plays in the SB just like Hopkins did.

But I could be wrong and we will never know.

But dammit - I was banging the boards for Biadesz when it came to that pick. And maybe we would have played even better in 2019 and 2020 if we didn't have the Matador at center those two years.

So many times, I saw from replays of games where Blythe was pushed back into Goff right when he was trying to pass to a wide open receiver that I am fairly certain would have been TDs if not for Blythe's weak ass blocking attempts on 3rd down. After Blythe continued to be pushed back into Goff on 3rd down and 10 or so, McVay eventually those two years went to almost exclusively either a delayed hand-off or wide receiver screen. Go back and watch those games, I have, even though it has been a bit.

But then - it is possible that we never would have gotten Stafford and argggggghhhhhhh - yeah I should get over the past.

Last edited: