Camp Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Coach O, can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your detailed analysis. As someone who lives out of state these reports are like gold! Thanks as always.

Not a surprise to hear about Bradford being a bit rusty. As someone who has gone through and ACL surgery and played competitive sports along with working with tons of athletes who are rehabbing with this injury the physical recovery is not the hardest part of the comeback.....it is the mental aspect. And this takes time and reps. Everyone adapts differently to the mental recovery, but for most it takes months of competition to finally gain confidence. Bradford will have his ups and downs. My guess would be he will slowly look better in practice, then will look rusty in pre-season, then will improve there (if he plays much). Then he will probably start off the season rusty as well and slowly regain confidence. I just hope people give him time. Even though people are physically healing faster than ever with this injury, the mental component still takes time. The real worry is the affect the mental hesitations take on his mechanics. Hopefully he can make those adjustments as he gets more confident.

The most exciting news for me was the fact Britt is providing some leadership. I was always one who thought these young receivers would develop much faster if they had someone to turn to that could provide them with on the field help. That is great to hear and I hope he can keep it up. I would not be surprised to see Quick have a solid year if that is the case.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Hey Coach, thanks for awesome as the eyes and ears at TC.

How goes the WR rotation at 11 on 11's? Was there some pretty consistent rotation among who played with the 1's?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Coach, thanks for awesome as the eyes and ears at TC.

How goes the WR rotation at 11 on 11's? Was there some pretty consistent rotation among who played with the 1's?

They seemed to use pairings throughout the practice. Austin & Bailey together; Britt & Quick; Givens & Pettis. They all took their reps with the 1's and 2's.

They didn't run any 3 WR set yesterday, as it was all basic stuff. Lots of 2 TE sets with Cook & Kendricks. Also Justice Cunningham got plenty of reps including being lined up in the FB position as was Harkey with the 1's.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Excellent Coach. Was looking forward to your reports. I don't worry as much right now. As you said, it's day one. There's going to be a lot of shifting around until we're 100% healthy. I'm curious (I know it's way too early) how things pan out in the backfield. Meaning who grabs a spot (Gaines,Roberson, Reid). Any really early eyeball test guests you might make now?

And I'm curious to see Bryant and Alexander and how that plays out. Going to be some interesting battles in the coming weeks.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Excellent Coach. Was looking forward to your reports. I don't worry as much right now. As you said, it's day one. There's going to be a lot of shifting around until we're 100% healthy. I'm curious (I know it's way too early) how things pan out in the backfield. Meaning who grabs a spot (Gaines,Roberson, Reid). Any really early eyeball test guests you might make now?

And I'm curious to see Bryant and Alexander and how that plays out. Going to be some interesting battles in the coming weeks.

Alexander looks every bit the athlete they claimed he was. Things were very basic yesterday in terms of coverages, and Base 4-3 looks. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the more complex coverages, and different personnel groupings as they get further into camp.

I will be very surprised to see C. Bryant on the practice field anytime soon. My guess, he stays on the PUP list, and gets a medical red shirt year. Best case, if he is on the PUP/IR list entering the season, he can be activated after Week 6. By then we should have a pretty good idea how the secondary is shaping up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Camp Report 7/25/14

Offensive Line:
1st Unit:
Long Saffold Wells Joseph Barksdale (this was how they lined up during the unit drills)

2nd Unit: Washington Person Barnes Bond Hooey

3rd Unit: Van Dyk Washington Jones Morrell Dill

· In team drills, Saffold took reps at LT and then moved back to LG. Robinson started out at LG, then took reps at LT.

· Davin Joseph was a constant at RG with the 1st unit throughout practice.

First Big Thanks ! & second I realize it is real early....but some things were very interesting to me CoachO.

Rodger Saffold
remaining constant on the left side (not the right like last year) for unit drills & team drills. Saffold taking up the OL post where Greg Robinson was to be. Both Saffold & Robinson getting action in the OLT post on the team drills. If Joseph is what he was pre injury & Saffold being the probable starting OLT in the opening regular season game then having Saffold inserted @ OLG is real smart!

I wonder if they are wanting to get a good long look @ the ability of Davin Joseph @ ORG??? From what you say he & the OL had a rough time. Imagine that. If I am Boudreau I want to know if Joseph can play up to his pre 2012 years.

Easy working on Barrett Jones today working him only @ center & with the 3rd unit..interesting they are working him @ the bottom of the lineup & ONLY @ center. Working 3rd yr OL'er Brandon Washington @ OLT 2nd unit & OLG 3rd unit. Guess Brandon Washington having 2 previous TC's under his belt helps him early in the firsts practices.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They ran A LOT of 2 TE sets today. Most likely by design, as I mentioned earlier, defense played solely Base 4-3.

What would you say was the pass/run ratio out of those sets, @CoachO?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Alexander looks every bit the athlete they claimed he was. Things were very basic yesterday in terms of coverages, and Base 4-3 looks. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to the more complex coverages, and different personnel groupings as they get further into camp.

I will be very surprised to see C. Bryant on the practice field anytime soon. My guess, he stays on the PUP list, and gets a medical red shirt year. Best case, if he is on the PUP/IR list entering the season, he can be activated after Week 6. By then we should have a pretty good idea how the secondary is shaping up.

Thanks Coach. Too bad about Bryant. College tape looks good but injuries like that can set you back for a while.

Again, too early to say but do you think Alexander has any chance of starting?

Look forward to your reports going forward!

-BW

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
First Big Thanks ! & second I realize it is real early....but some things were very interesting to me CoachO.

Rodger Saffold
remaining constant on the left side (not the right like last year) for unit drills & team drills. Saffold taking up the OL post where Greg Robinson was to be. Both Saffold & Robinson getting action in the OLT post on the team drills. If Joseph is what he was pre injury & Saffold being the probable starting OLT in the opening regular season game then having Saffold inserted @ OLG is real smart!

I wonder if they are wanting to get a good long look @ the ability of Davin Joseph @ ORG??? From what you say he & the OL had a rough time. Imagine that. If I am Boudreau I want to know if Joseph can play up to his pre 2012 years.

Easy working on Barrett Jones today working him only @ center & with the 3rd unit..interesting they are working him @ the bottom of the lineup & ONLY @ center. Working 3rd yr OL'er Brandon Washington @ OLT 2nd unit & OLG 3rd unit. Guess Brandon Washington having 2 previous TC's under his belt helps him early in the firsts practices.
Interesting note re Jones.
They either don't think hes' s ready or they are seriously grooming him for the position.
Maybe a little of both

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting note re Jones.
They either don't think hes' s ready or they are seriously grooming him for the position.
Maybe a little of both

To be fair to Barrett Jones is basically a rookie when it comes to participation of Training Camp. Jones was MIA in TC last year. With Scott Wells not able to participate fully in practice just like 2012 & 2013 getting Barrett all the work @ center may be a primary plan in most of the OL scheduled positional post play from day to day as designed.

We will see more as to what Boudreau has planned for Barrett as TC moves on I would love to see the Boudreau's overall grand plan schedule for each of his OL.ers....I could see early what he is up too......I also see no mentioning of center Demetrius Rhaney. My guess is Barrett will start easy & Boudreau will turn up the heat on the brainy Jones as he settles into NFL training camp riggers.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach!

I looked for you but couldn't find you.

I am usually up on the hill close to the DJ tent. Look for the only guy sitting in his lawn chair with binoculars, and a notebook. LOL

CoachO

Hall of Fame
To be fair to Barrett Jones is basically a rookie when it comes to participation of Training Camp. Jones was MIA in TC last year. With Scott Wells not able to participate fully in practice just like 2012 & 2013 getting Barrett all the work @ center may be a primary plan in most of the OL scheduled positional post play from day to day as designed.

We will see more as to what Boudreau has planned for Barrett as TC moves on I would love to see the Boudreau's overall grand plan schedule for each of his OL.ers....I could see early what he is up too......I also see no mentioning of center Demetrius Rhaney. My guess is Barrett will start easy & Boudreau will turn up the heat on the brainy Jones as he settles into NFL training camp riggers.

Rhaney got his share of work in the team drills with the 3rd unit. Since Wells DNP, everyone got bumped up a slot, with Barnes taking 1st unit reps, Jones with the 2's and Rhaney with the 3's. And considering Rhaney was lined up across from Donald for many of his reps, to say he struggled is being kind.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
They ran A LOT of 2 TE sets today. Most likely by design, as I mentioned earlier, defense played solely Base 4-3.

What would you say was the pass/run ratio out of those sets, @CoachO?

As will be the case in lost of these practices, the pass/tun ratio is close to 90% passing. They tend to be more run heavy on the days they are in full pads, which is not often. The new CBA made sure of that. I also think they spend much more time working on the running game during the walk thrus in the mornings.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach. Too bad about Bryant. College tape looks good but injuries like that can set you back for a while.

Again, too early to say but do you think Alexander has any chance of starting?

Look forward to your reports going forward!

-BW

There is no way to even make a guess on that after ONE practice. And unless and until McLeod LOSES the job, its his to keep.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I had to wait until this morning to read this coach, Fantastic read Coach! Well worth waiting for!!:D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I had to wait until this morning to read this coach, Fantastic read Coach! Well worth waiting for!!:D

I agree ... nice good Saturday morning read ! I have been waiting a long time for these CoachO & many other great members camp reports!.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As will be the case in lost of these practices, the pass/tun ratio is close to 90% passing. They tend to be more run heavy on the days they are in full pads, which is not often. The new CBA made sure of that. I also think they spend much more time working on the running game during the walk thrus in the mornings.
Gotcha. Well, I'm encouraged that they're using those Ace Formations anyway. I always felt that was an underutilized part of the passing game.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Great report! Much appreciated.
Old Geek