Camp Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
just a few more pics from today's festivities......
IMG_4718[1].JPG
IMG_4721[1].JPG
IMG_4723[2].JPG

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Props to you Coach you have been my eyes and ears at camp for the last couple. I really look forward to reading the reports after work each night.
Thanks Don

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Good job CoachO. Glad to have you and RF reporting straight from the sidelines. Keep up the awesome work as always.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think I'm going to have a beer tonight to celebrate relevant Rams news being back.

Greatly appreciated.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Where was Robinson on the unit drills if you don't mind me asking?

Camp Report 7/25/14

· Kenny Britt has assumed the “unofficial” leadership role of the WR group. Brian Quick was attached to his hip throughout practice.

· He was encouraging Givens after a great block on Jenkins

· Drew oohs and aaahs from Britt who started jawing at Jenkins. There is a “nice” rivalry brewing between Britt and the CBs.

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE hearing this.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Thanks Coach. Good stuff. Like you said, I'm sure just shaking a bit of rust off.... I'll be there on Sunday with my little guy. I'll be wearing my gray WVU Tavon jersey and have my little boy with me.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Where was Robinson on the unit drills if you don't mind me asking?

I cannot tell you how much I LOVE hearing this.

Take a look at the pic included in the original post. That was Quick and Britt playing catch on the sideline during the ST drills. With Coach Sherman close by.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Thanks coach. Loving the stuff about our big boys Cook, Quick and Britt. But what about our little guy, Tavon?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks coach. Loving the stuff about our big boys Cook, Quick and Britt. But what about our little guy, Tavon?

Other than a token carry out of the backfield, (he lined up there a few times), he didn't do much to stand out to day. But as I said, the defense ruled the day.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Camp reports / player performance shouldn't concern anyone.

It's practice!

Give it time.

HUGE thanks to CoachO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO How did Joyner and Tre Mason look today? Thanks for the report, btw!
Joyner looks as advertised. It was interesting to see him working exclusively at CB, as they were in the Base 4-3 all day. He did take a few reps in the "rookies only" after practice stuff at Safety. But honestly, I think that was more about not having anyone other then A. Cunningham to play S.

MAson made a nice catch in the 7 on 7, but really didn't do anything of note in the 11 on 11. He definitely shows quick feet, and balance, but again, at least for me, untill I see him pick up a blitzing LB, I will withhold final judgement.

Athos

Legend
Some have commented already, but what were your thoughts on Donald and Sam?

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Camp Report 7/25/14

Players not participating: Ethan Westbrooks; Christian Bryant; Sammy Brown; Johnny Millard; Kadeem Jones.

William Hayes, Matt Daniels, Scott Wells and Jake Long participated in the unit drills, but did NOT participate in TEAM DRILLS

Offensive Line:
1st Unit:
Long Saffold Wells Joseph Barksdale (this was how they lined up during the unit drills)

2nd Unit: Washington Person Barnes Bond Hooey

3rd Unit: Van Dyk Washington Jones Morrell Dill

· In team drills, Saffold took reps at LT and then moved back to LG. Robinson started out at LG, then took reps at LT.

· Davin Joseph was a constant at RG with the 1st unit throughout practice.

Defensive Line:

1st Unit: Long Brockers Langford Quinn

2nd Unit: Sam Carrington Conrath Sims

3rd Unit: Sam Donald Harlan K. Brown

Linebackers:

1st Unit: Ogletree Laurinatis Dunbar

2nd Unit: Steward Bates Armstrong

3rd Unit: L. Wilson Schiller Sabino

· Interesting to see Daren Bates lined up INSIDE with the 2nd Unit.

· Seems to have scrapped the Right/Left designation in favor of SLB/WLB. They were switching sides of formations adjusting to formation or motion from offense. Interesting enough, Ogletree was at SLB over TE. Dunbar back at WLB.

Defensive Backs:

1st Unit: Jenkins Johnson McDonald McLeod

2nd Unit: McGee Woodard/Joyner Davis Alexander

3rd Unit: Gaines Roberson/J. Bryant/Reid A. Cunningham Alexander

· Woodard and Joyner rotated reps at the CB position with the 2nd Unit; Greg Reid rotated in with both Roberson and J. Bryant on the opposite side of Gaines with the 3rd unit.***

· All defense in both 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 utilized the Base 4-3. No Nickel or Sub Packages.

· Interesting that Joyner was used on the outside at CB. Did not take any reps at Safety

Theme of the day: Knock of the Rust

· Overall, not a very crisp practice. Didn’t seem to have the same pace as previous years. Hope it picks up in the coming days.

o Bradford made some very nice throws, but overall, he seemed out of sinc at times. He participated in ALL the team stuff, and throughout the 11 on 11 team work, he was under constant pressure, stepping up or trying to avoid pressure, and he seemed tentative on the knee. Way too soon to be concerned, but it needs to be noted, that this is the first time he’s had a full work load with an 11 on 11 pass rush.

o Way too many false starts during the 11 on 11…. With G. Robinson guilty twice. (one each at LG & LT)

o Defense is definitely ahead of the offense at this point.

Special Teams:

Started practice with drill work on Kickoff Coverage

1st Unit:
Reynolds Jenkins Armstrong Bates Pead Zuerlein B. Cunningham Harkey McDonald C. Davis McGee

· There were only a handful of players (O-Line & D-Line) along with Cook Laurinaitis, Dunbar, Britt who did NOT participate in the ST drills. It was interesting to see Chris Givens running down to cover a KO.

· This was strictly working on lane integrity… No return guys line up fielding kick.

7 0n 7 & 11 on 11 Drills:

Highlights:

Bradford to Cook on first play of 7 0n 7 on a deep corner route (30 yards , beat McDonald.

Bradford to Quick on a crossing route, quick made a nice catch on a contested ball.

Bradford to Quick on a 18 yard comeback vs. Zone Coverage

Bradford to Britt on a nice sideline throw

Gilbert getting 2nd Unit reps (looks comfortable)

Davis to Pettis on deep throw. Pettis makes nice adjustment to a badly under thrown ball, beats Woodard.

Bradford to Cook on a quick hitch, Givens with a nice cut back block on Jenkins to spring Cook to the outside.

· Drew oohs and aaahs from Britt who started jawing at Jenkins. There is a “nice” rivalry brewing between Britt and the CBs.

Lowlights:

Bradford throws first INT of training camp on deep seam route. EJ Gaines steps in front of Bailey, who seemed to stop on his route, giving Gaines a clear path to the INT

Bradford missed more throws than normal. Again, it’s VERY EARLY, but the rust is evident.

Austin Davis continues to look lost and inaccurate.

First fumble of training camp goes to Zac Stacy, on a missed exchange. He eventually fell on the loose ball, after “dribbling” it for a small gain.

Might qualify as both a highlight & Lowlight, but the d-line was in the backfield ALL day. As much as I stated that Bradford looked rusty, there weren’t many opportunities to throw the ball “on time”.

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

· Kenny Britt has assumed the “unofficial” leadership role of the WR group. Brian Quick was attached to his hip throughout practice.

· He was encouraging Givens after a great block on Jenkins

· TJ Moe looks like he can play

· Austin Franklin had a couple of nice catches in team drills

· Greg Williams is VOCAL

o He could be heard “coaching” Daren Bates not once, but twice, with the second time resulting in him being told to “get his ass off the field”

o Apparently GW’s approach is contagious…. Chuck Cecil (Secondary Coach) was heard “coaching” his Safeties after what was perceived to be a complete lack of communication in the secondary on back to back plays

· WR combinations: Austin and Bailey; Quick and Britt; Givens and Pettis

· They ran A LOT of 2 TE sets today. Most likely by design, as I mentioned earlier, defense played solely Base 4-3.

· Zuerline looks as strong as ever. He was kicking FGs of 50 yards + and clearing the spectator tents behind the field

Overall, it seemed like the players were having FUN for a change. Chris Long especially seemed to be enjoying being on the field almost as if to say…“it’s about time” We are gonna be GOOD”!!!!

View attachment 2409

I've been looking forward to this post all day. Thank you

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Some have commented already, but what were your thoughts on Donald and Sam?

Donald looks like an All-Pro going against guys like RJ Dill, and Demetrious Rhaney. He was unblockable. But lets see how he fares later in camp, when Long, and Wells get added to the mix, and Robinson/Saffold get back to their respective Guard spots.

Michael Sam showed well for himself. But again, he was taking 2nd AND 3rd unit reps. HE showed a nice burst coming off the edge, and got involved in holding up against the run (when they did try to run the ball). Although on one particular play, he flashed inside and was greeted by Travis Bond, and was pancaked. and BTW.... in case you missed it... Travis Bond is HUGE!!!! he actually is bigger than Robinson.