CAMP REPORT Camp Report Day 4: Sat July 31

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
8) Denied by David Long Jr.: Cornerback David Long Jr. had a nice pass breakup on a Stafford pass intended for Kupp during 1-on-1s.

that's what i'm talking bout. if you can defend kupp 1 on 1 you're ready.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Regarding #88 Brycen Hopkins. While i see his number often as they go through their drills, he's gone largely un noticed. He was with the group fielding punts the first day, and then wasn't the next three days.

Lets see if he can step it up when the pads come on. He needs to if he wants to rise in the TE pecking order.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The reports from Saturday sounded like a hell of a good practice. And tbh the guys we know are dogs are showing up. Hopkins, well, it sounds like more of the same.

Also it seems like Skow is showing well. If Hopkins can't step up his spot won't go to waste this year that's for damn sure.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Had the punt return guys again. Same group, Landon Akers, JJ Koski, Ray Calias, Funk, Otis Anderson, Jerimiah Haydel. Calais fielded all his without any bobbles. Koski dropped one, Anderson bobbled 2. 4 days of watching these same guys fielding punts and the only one I have any confidence in is Calias.

QB's drilled taking snaps from trainer, then moving left and throwing accross their body 10 yds to a RB, Wolford and Hodges had trouble doing this. Perkins did pretty good, so did Stafford, but there were a lot of high and off passes. I hope the practice this drill more.

Next had QB's practicing handing off the RB's. The RB order as they did this is telling. Henderson was first, X Jones second,
Funk third, Calais then Anderson.

Now passes going 20-25 yds as Wr's go out (no DB's), Wood with a one handed grab, First bad pass from Stafford to Mundt. then overthrows Blanton next pass. Jacob Harris with a nice catch, wow he has a long stride.

Shortened it up to 5 yd quick zip over the middle passed. No one comes close to Kupp at snagging these, he makes it look easy.
DeSean good at this too. Harris with couple good grabs.

Finally 11 on 11's

OL the same with Whit back at LT, Edward LG, Corbett C (Allen did get snaps with the ones today), Evans RG, Havenstien RT.
D ones Floyd DE, SJD DT, AShawn DT, AD DT, Hollins DE, ILB Kiser, Young, OLB Obo, Lawler, DB Ramsey Williams, S Fuller, Rapp or Burgess

Green dot on fuller

Stafford to woods, missed just over his head.
Stafford to Skowronik for about 10
Koski from Wolford drops a 30 yder
Bobby Woods schooled Donte Daeyon with a good move to get open
Wolford to Skoronik for 10
DeSean from Stafford with Ramsey covering, Ramsey knocks it away30 yds deep! Ramsey and DJack having fun with that play.
tristen Jackson nice deep fingertip catch from Wolford with Williams covering

Running plays they are really getting after it, guys ending up in a dogpile several times. Really going hard at it today. McVay telling them to tone it down.

Now doing Red Zone drill. Higbee with a catch over the middle, Kupp low catch right at the goal line. couple running plays that go nowhere.

Ramsey with a pick six off Stafford! Stepped right in front of Jefferson(?) Donald running all the to the end zone with him doing flip at the goal line in celebration. Paly of the Day!
Stafford makes up for it on the next snap finding Kupp in the back of the endzone..

Funk gets in a good end around for a TD

First off, I cannot thank @bubbaramfan @VeteranRamFan & @theduke and others who have given us tremendous updates, this is not easy ladies & gentlemen. I remember going to Giant camp when they trained up here in Albany and thinking, it would be difficult to put together an evaluation when they are in shells and just doing position practice and I was on the field with a field pass some of the time.

Love this late post @bubbaramfan because I am reading this while enjoying my fine Columbian Beverage, so nothing better. Great information here especially the punt return guys as my hope would be a RB to win this competition with Atwell it appears that Raymond Calais is doing well securing the ball. Shocked that Jeremiah Haydel is not showcasing anything here, but maybe when they actually return the punts we will see more from him, but I'm glad Calais is doing well here because I do believe he can make the squad, if he can return both punts & kickoffs allowing the three RB's Henderson, Jones & Funk to be rotating in the running game.

The Rams are so deep at receiver as Trishton Jackson, who they kept last year is making plays and will battle for a roster spot. Ben Skowronek also showcasing strong hands, be tough to keep 7 WR's again this year, however, that's why I hope a RB can return punts, although Atwell returning punts is another option.

Justin Hollins seems to be OLB opposite Floyd so have to keep an eye on that as it continues to develop, but IMO, most of knew that was how it was likely to play out. Brian Allen getting more reps currently as the backup Center then Coleman Shelton, although Shelton getting snaps at guard. Overall again thank you Gentlemen and hopefully you can evaluate them in their pads soon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An excerpt from another fine Jourdan article on The Athletic:

• In better news, rookie tight end Jacob Harris (who is recovering from a procedure to fix a core injury, a source told The Athletic earlier this week) was able to work back into some individual drills and light installation or competitive work. Something I found to be notable: Harris lined up in the last spot during individuals, which is common for a player who is not at the back of the depth chart but who is going at partial speed for injury reasons. But while a backup quarterback would normally throw that rep to Harris in that lineup, the Rams had Stafford switch back in to make the throw (a 30-yarder to Harris’ back shoulder, by the way).

I also want to put a disclaimer in here because I’ve gotten this question a lot on Twitter and have tried to address it a few times: Just because there is much to note about Harris’ potential role within the Rams’ offense even as a rookie, it does not take away anything from last year’s fourth-round pick Brycen Hopkins. Hopkins is repping in as would be expected and being asked to fill a lot of areas on special teams, too. But because Harris’ path is very clearly an outlier, I am noting that path as one should when a player is poised to make an impact earlier than expected. It does not mean that Hopkins isn’t succeeding where he is asked to do so.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These camp reports are Gems! Thanks to all of you again!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Appreciate the Kudo's Den. Catching a punt is one thing , fielding and taking off for a return is quite another. Its early, and the bobbles may go away once they get more comfortable with the pads on.

Its clear who the top of the roster are. Its the bottom that is yet to shake out. WR depth is going to make cuts hard on cut day. Some cuts will be snapped up immediatly by other teams. Rams have a plethora of good WR's.

TE group looks strong too.

TC has been a lot of fun. Now that players will be in full pads from now on, we can start getting better evaluations.

dang

Legend
Consensus is the WR group is so deep that several cuts will be coveted by other teams for their 53 man roster. Would the Rams keep a WR 7 as an asset for trade should they come up short in any other position (e.g. RB)?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would move Skow to the TE group. The two blocking TEs would be Higs>Mundt. The two move guys would be Harris>Skow.

Hopkins would need to beat out Skow or Mundt to stick on this roster.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I would move Skow to the TE group. The two blocking TEs would be Higs>Mundt. The two move guys would be Harris>Skow.

Perhaps the 3rd blocking TE should be an Olineman.

I've always wondered why they didn't run more tackle eligible plays and stick an extra Olineman (who can catch) out there to block outside of short yardage situations from time to time.

Maybe the prior Rams team was just that inept, but I still remember the Packers doing that vs. the Rams years ago and running the ball right down their throats.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I like big, physical receivers, and I am really hoping Skow makes the roster. He may not be as athletic as some of our other receivers, but he's strong and will fight like a bastard for contested balls - and has the strength to win.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know there were no defenders in anyone's face but watching Stafford throw the ball to Harris, that kid can sure run. I don't think there will be a tight end in the league as fast as he is. If they can incorporate him in the deep game, it sure would open things up underneath and for the run.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Perhaps the 3rd blocking TE should be an Olineman.

I've always wondered why they didn't run more tackle eligible plays and stick an extra Olineman (who can catch) out there to block outside of short yardage situations from time to time.

Maybe the prior Rams team was just that inept, but I still remember the Packers doing that vs. the Rams years ago and running the ball right down their throats.
I believe Carberry did that at Stanford. I don't recall the O-lineman ever actually catching a pass but they used to use Jumbo packages a fair amount if I recall correctly.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

is there anybody apart from @oldnotdead that isn't excited about seeing jones strut his stuff in preseason?

I'm curious what he can do. Didn't see anything from limited time last year to really get excited about but he just like everybody else has the chance to make us excited.