Brian Schottenheimer Is Not the Problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MrMotes

Starter
You can continue to ignore that but it doesn't make what you're saying any less wrong.

I'm saying Chip Kelly gets the same or more offensive points and wins out of Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez as Brian Schottenheimer got out of Brett Favre. That's factually true. You can spin it how you like and concentrate on stats per drive if you like but the fact remains: Kelly gets more out of less...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, well, how does that compare to what Vince Lombardi did as compared to George Halas?

Honestly. These comparisons are getting lamer and lamer. Some think Schotty is fine, others don't.
Let's not get ridiculous with comparisons of different coaches on different teams at different times with different players.

Alan

Legend
-X- thinking comparisons to others can't possibly be apples to apples:
Honestly. These comparisons are getting lamer and lamer. Some think Schotty is fine, others don't.
Yep. I don't like comparisons at all. Each situation should be looked at as it's own microcosm within the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm saying Chip Kelly gets the same or more offensive points and wins out of Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez as Brian Schottenheimer got out of Brett Favre. That's factually true. You can spin it how you like and concentrate on stats per drive if you like but the fact remains: Kelly gets more out of less...

And I'm saying that Chip Kelly does that by inflating his stats at the cost of the defense. The Eagles defense is on pace to defend 211 drives in 2014. The Jets defense in 2008 defended 177 drives...and that's with Favre turning into hot garbage over the final 5 games due to his torn biceps.

I'm not spinning it. I simply watch football.

The 2008 Jets offense with a healthy Favre was a FAR better unit than the 2014 Eagles offense. So if you started this argument with the intent of proving the opposite...you haven't succeeded. What you've managed to prove is that the 2008 Jets were putting up just as many points with a healthy Favre as the Eagles are...without screwing their defense over to inflate their offensive stats.

The truly funny thing is that I've never claimed that Schotty is a better offensive mind than Kelly...in fact, I've said the opposite. I just think your argument that Kelly is getting more out of Sanchez/Foles this year than Schotty got out of Favre is hot garbage. You choose to ignore quite a few important factors that undercut your point.

Hell, the fact that you are so quick to dismiss Favre's horrible play after his injury which led to the Jets collapse says all we need to know. You're less concerned with the true facts of the situation in assessing Schotty's competence and more concerned with simply using this to further your agenda.

Favre before his injury
11 games
245/347
70.6%
2461 yards
7.1 YPA
20 TDs
13 Ints
94.1 QB Rating
8-3 record
29.4 PPG

Per 16 games
3580 yards
29 TDs
19 Ints

Favre after his injury
5 games
98/175
56.0%
1011 yards
5.8 YPA
2 TDs
9 Ints
55.2 QB Rating
1-4 record
16.4 PPG

Per 16 games
3235 yards
6 TDs
29 Ints

So Favre basically went from Drew Brees to Keith Null due to an injury. And yet you seem to want to ignore that. But we're trying to figure out how good Schotty was with a top QB like Favre, right? But I'm the one "spinning" things.

I'm sorry but is sticking to the topic you wanted to discuss spinning things? You wanted to compare Schotty with a top tier QB to Kelly with mediocre talent. So I did that.

It's not my fault that your true agenda in this wasn't making a real or fair comparison, it was just a way to validate your low opinion of Schottenheimer. You want to have a real discussion, I'm always down. But I'm never going to be one to act consciously ignorant of context in a football conversation to help you validate your opinion.

You want a true comparison of Schotty with Favre vs. Kelly this year. Check out those 11 games. You want to try and use Favre tearing his biceps and playing like one of the worst QBs in the NFL because of it to validate your opinion...go ahead. But it's not going to get anywhere with me.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Disagree on his playbook. It's been widely reported to be pretty in-depth and requires a lot of study

Yet it appears that Fisher (me too) wants more of "This is what we’re running. Stop it." He followed that up with we are not there yet. How could they be with such a playbook / offensive mindset?

Simplify. Let the players play and excel in something while not having to think so much. That alone will probably help the rookies/ new players have success early.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yet it appears that Fisher (me too) wants more of "This is what we’re running. Stop it." He followed that up with we are not there yet. How could they be with such a playbook / mindset?
How are we supposed to implement the "This is what we're running. Stop it" philosophy with the interior O-line that everyone laments?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What is "hot" garbage, exactly?

Z1087.jpg

Memphis Ram

Legend
How are we supposed to implement the "This is what we're running. Stop it" philosophy with the interior O-line that everyone laments?

One way would be by not abandoning the running game so quickly and focusing more on and mastering the few core plays this team has run well.

I'm going to paraphrase go back to another Auburn reference here, but Gus Malzahn says that is one of the biggest mistakes that some teams make. You can have too much variety. If something is working, keep doing it until they stop you. But, the Rams rarely do that under Schottenhiemer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One way would be by not abandoning the running game so quickly and focusing more on and mastering the few core plays this team has run well.

I'm going to paraphrase go back to another Auburn reference here, but Gus Malzahn says that is one of the biggest mistakes that some teams make. You can have too much variety. If something is working, keep doing it until they stop you. But, the Rams rarely do that under Schottenhiemer.

That's because they usually stop it.

The couple big complaints I have with him are the lack of outside running when that seems to work better for us than inside running(due to our sucky interior) and his usage of certain guys.

What is "hot" garbage, exactly?

I'm not entirely sure but my guess would be that hot garbage would smell worse because it would be decaying faster. But that's a pure guess.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's because they usually stop it.

The couple big complaints I have with him are the lack of outside running when that seems to work better for us than inside running(due to our sucky interior) and his usage of certain guys.

IMO, the Rams do a better job of stopping their rushing attack than opposing defenses.

Nice first down run. Pass. Pass. Punt.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Usually because teams can load up on stopping the run and dare the Rams to beat them through the air. While too much variety can be a bad thing (and that doesn't mesh at all with the claim that Schotty lacks innovation), it can also be a good thing in moderation when you're keeping defenses guessing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If i could, I would serve up some spiced eggnog to everyone contributing to this thread.
th