Brian Schottenheimer Is Not the Problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can spin, cherry pick which games you think should count, extrapolate about things that never happened but the fact remains: Chip Kelly is scoring as many points and winning as many games with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez as the Jets did with Brett Favre.

Brett Favre played the last 5 games hurt. Chip Kelly lost his starting QB halfway through. Nobody needs to make excuses or extrapolate the data because the Eagles didn't collapse when Foles went down. They're still producing at a pretty high level.

And the point, in case we've lost track, is i don't think BS ever gets the most out of his players. His offenses don't add up to more than the sum of their parts. Comparing him to Chip Kelly is for me a way of illustrating that fact.

Does Schottenheimer get the most out of his players? I'd say no. Did he get a lot out of that 2008 offense? Yes. They were a well oiled machine that was firing on all cylinders before Favre's injury. They were tearing it up on the ground and Favre was posting a strong year as a passer. And as you said, that was without Favre having full command of Schotty's entire offense. Nothing an OC can do about an injury to his QB. And Favre, with his record, was not going to sit.

So I'm sorry you see it as spin. I've only tried to make the comparison you asked for. But it seems to me that you're not interested in context. All you want are the "facts". And that's not who I am. You want read a boxscore, go to Pro Football Reference(which has some incredibly useful tools and is a great site). You want to discuss football...come to this forum...but that'll mean delving deeper than simply the facts in the boxscore.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was going to continue my conversation with jrry about what makes a great D (nothing earth shattering ) but this thread is starting to get a little too caustic for me. This is Christmas you know.

We're all good, my friend. I'm not sure that conversation will go anywhere. I just can't get on board with the YPG being the measurement of a defense because I think it penalizes teams for having certain philosophies...that might be successful with the personnel they have.

I respect your opinion and understand why you hold it...I just don't share it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then run another play. Perhaps, to the outside like many, including yourself, has already suggested. Don't abandon the run altogether and get pass happy. And don't completely abandon a play that gets stopped every now and then. That's going to happen.

Sort of found what I was looking for. This year we've had 39 runs of 10+ yards that gained a first down and didn't result in a score. I removed 2 runs because they were scrambles by Austin Davis. Here are the rest and the play that followed it:
TB
1. Zac Stacy - 12 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 7 yards and a 3rd down pass completion(first down)
2. Kenny Britt - 12 yard run
Followed by a 6 yard pass completion then a 12 yard pass completion(first down)
3. Tavon Austin - 18 yard run
Followed by 3 runs for 14 yards resulting in a TD

DAL
1. Zac Stacy - 12 yard run
Followed by a pass for 4 yards, a run for 1 yard, and a pass for 5 yards(first down)
2. Zac Stacy - 16 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 11 yards(first down)

PHI
1. Zac Stacy - 14 yard run
Followed by a run for 2 yards, a pass for -2 yards, and an incomplete pass after a false start
2. Bennie Cunningham - 13 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 5 yards then a pass for 6 yards(first down)
3. Bennie Cunningham - 11 yard run
Followed by a sack, an incomplete pass, and a TD pass

SF#1
1. Tre Mason - 24 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 9 yards and a TD pass

SEA
1. Tre Mason - 28 yard run
Followed by a -2 yard run(Quick 15 yard PF) and a -3 yard pass(Facemask PF...First Down)
2. Tre Mason - 10 yard run
Followed by a run for no gain and a TD pass

KC
1. Tre Mason - 14 yard run
Followed by a deep pass that was intercepted
2. Bennie Cunningham - 18 yard run
Followed by a pass, a sack, and a pass
3. Tre Mason - 12 yard run
Ended the game

SF#2
1. Tre Mason - 21 yard run
Followed up by 2 runs for 11 yards(holding on the 2nd run) and 2 passes for 4 yards

ARI#1
1. Tre Mason - 16 yard run
Followed by 3 runs for 14 yards and a TD
2. Tavon Austin - 10 yard run(same drive as Mason's run)
Followed by 1 run for 3 yards and a TD
Followed by a -5 yard run and then 2 passes for 11 yards

DEN
1. Tre Mason - 10 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 6 yards and a sack(Field Goal)
2. Tre Mason - 15 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 4 yards and an incomplete pass
3. Tre Mason - 27 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 10 yards(first down)

SD
1. Tre Mason - 13 yard run
Followed by a false start then a 10 yard pass then a false start then a 8 yard pass then a 3 yard pass(first down)
2. Tavon Austin - 15 yard run
Followed by an incomplete pass then a 6 yard rushing TD
3. Tre Mason - 21 yard run
Followed by a run for no gain and then 2 incomplete passes

OAK
Followed by a 4 yard run, incomplete pass, and a TD pass
2. Zac Stacy - 11 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 7 yards and an incomplete pass(DPI...First Down)

WAS
1. Bennie Cunningham - 20 yard run
Followed by a run for 5 yards, a pass for 7 yards(holding) and a TD pass
2. Tre Mason - 11 yard run
Followed by a 12 yard run(first down)
Followed by a 2 yard run and two sacks(FG)
4. Tavon Austin - 14 yard run
Followed by a 15 yard run(first down)
5. Tre Mason - 15 yard run
Followed by a 2 yard run, an incomplete pass and a 11 yard completed pass(first down)
6. Tavon Austin - 18 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 5 yards and a sack(Facemask...First Down)

ARI#2
Followed by two incomplete passes and a 9 yard completion
2. Stedman Bailey - 13 yard run
Followed by an encroachment and a 6 yard pass(first down)

NYG
1. Tre Mason - 16 yard run
Followed by an interception
2. Tre Mason - 12 yard run
Followed by 2 runs for 5 yards and an offsides(first down)
3. Tavon Austin - 19 yard run
Followed by a 4 yard run and a 11 yard pass completion(first down)

By my count, 26 of the 36(72.2%) plays listed were followed by runs.(removed the 1 play because it ended the game) By my count, 27 of the 36(75%) plays listed were followed by 3-4 plays resulting in TDs, first downs, or FGs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds good.

Now you'll never know who my top ten Ds are though. :p :LOL:

It's okay. I trust you made good choices. But hey, you're more than welcome to post them if you put a list together. ;)