Brian Allen has allowed the most sacks at the center position with 5

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It actually does otherwise they would've picked him (like so many other teams). And no it's not a horrible pick b/c there's 3 talented guys in front of him or that he got hurt. Brian Allen was doing well. No one cared about him until this past Monday, clearly hurt w/ that big ass brace.

Sure, I can say he's doing great. Bitching about it now, after losses, and then changing the thread title to shit on Brian Allen after not a damn peep all year speaks for itself. It's the ultimate kneejerk.

They didn't pick *almost* "everyone's guy." They didn't want him, they took a pick to develop. Like w/ QBs, just b/c he's not "your guy" doesn't mean it's the wrong guy.
Let me know when Tutu makes a freakin' catch.

Point out where I mentioned Brian Allen negatively in this thread. That's YOUR projection. I have been talking about Creed Humphreys all year, so it wasn't because of the last two losses. I have said in the past that Brian Allen exceeded my expectations and that he worked hard to get better than I though he could be. Please quote where I "shit on Brian Allen."

I am of the opinion that quality NFL linemen don't grow on trees in the 7th round or UDFA's, but you can believe what you want about Snead's philosophy on drafting quality linemen. I think it relies too much on flashy skill players instead of the heart of any team, which are the lines.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a great idea.

Let's have 300 more posts about how we should have drafted Creedy.

That won't solve shit, but boy, will it make us feel good. And smart.

But what's the fucking point?

I seem to recall a LOT of posters lamenting the fact that we "SHOULDA"" drafted Garapollo.
Funny how that kinda died down.

That said, I AM pretty much in lockstep with those of us questioning Seanny's stubborness.
Maybe he's finding out what Matty's limits are.

What scares me most is we just seem to fold up - no fight and no adjustment. And we pretty much know how the game will go 10 minutes in, my opinion.
Ok, I'll do that.

dang

Legend
McVay appears to be fearful of not having enough WR weapons especially after seeing what happens when a starter goes down like Kupp. I’d love to see a 2 TE option or more trust in a power running game but that doesn’t seem to be an option for McVay at this time.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I don't think the OL is the problem. The last two games Stafford still has had time to make throws. So he needs to play better first off.

Secondly I suspect teams are just playing pass in their keys and shit. That's their priority. We are getting defenses who are fully geared all week vs stopping the route combo tendencies because they don't fear our run game.

It's a combo of the two IMO. McVay simply needs to run the ball a little more and create more balance/threat there. And 9 has to unfuck himself.
Black Power Yes GIF by BrownSugarApp

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I have a great idea.

Let's have 300 more posts about how we should have drafted Creedy.

That won't solve shit, but boy, will it make us feel good. And smart.

But what's the fucking point?

I seem to recall a LOT of posters lamenting the fact that we "SHOULDA"" drafted Garapollo.
Funny how that kinda died down.

That said, I AM pretty much in lockstep with those of us questioning Seanny's stubborness.
Maybe he's finding out what Matty's limits are.

What scares me most is we just seem to fold up - no fight and no adjustment. And we pretty much know how the game will go 10 minutes in, my opinion.
Nah it doesn't make me feel smart, just a missed opportunity that I will bitch about from time to time since that's what fans do. However, yes you are correct, it won't solve shit. We have who we have and they need to get their shit together. Hopefully they regroup and do so that way we have more positive stuff to talk about. We have the talent to make a run, gotta do it on the field though.

Tano

Legend
Nah it doesn't make me feel smart, just a missed opportunity that I will bitch about from time to time since that's what fans do. However, yes you are correct, it won't solve shit. We have who we have and they need to get their shit together. Hopefully they regroup and do so that way we have more positive stuff to talk about. We have the talent to make a run, gotta do it on the field though.
The point is in addition to this point is that I hope Snead has learned his lesson and goes after the known quantities than the athletic quantities.

If we keep posting about how we should have gotten Humphrey, maybe we will subconsciously tell Snead that he needs to draft OL higher.

Okay I am joking but I have heard that this board does get read by players and maybe even some people in the Rams organization

Of course they will use their information before ours but you never know if someone on this board suggests a player and the organization takes a closer look at that said player than they would have.

I have a feeling that Snead heard about Jrry banging the board for Kupp weeks before the draft and decided to have his scouting staff scout Kupp more closely than he would have.

MachS

Hall of Fame
The overall philosophy behind not drafting Creed Humphrey is exactly why we are now looked at as a soft team around the league. We prioritize flashy skill positions over the positions that provide stability and sustained success like OL. We were strong at WR and weak at OL, yet still decided to take a tiny gadget WR, passing on the best OL prospect available at a position of need.

This is another example of McVays hubris and immaturity as a coach. He thinks his "brilliance" will allow him to scheme a game plan to help out his OL. That his coaching will turn a bad OL into an average one, and an average OL into a good one. But sometimes he gets out-schemed (been happening a lot more frequently lately) and the game comes down to players making up the difference. Hard to do that when you have less talent. Man-on-man, players have to step up and win their battles and coaching sometimes has nothing to do with it.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Good article on the Ringer today discussing some of what needs to be done and how adjustments made for Stafford are starting to backfire and that they need to do more of the stuff the oline is actually constructed for. They need to get more play action and get the interior dline moving side to side a little so they can't just tee off on our IOL.
Our small Oline is not designed for the drop back passing game.
Rams have to get back to their roots of moving the pocket with PA
We can still do drop back passing, but not so much that teams are game planning
for it. and they are.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The overall philosophy behind not drafting Creed Humphrey is exactly why we are now looked at as a soft team around the league. We prioritize flashy skill positions over the positions that provide stability and sustained success like OL. We were strong at WR and weak at OL, yet still decided to take a tiny gadget WR, passing on the best OL prospect available at a position of need.

This is another example of McVays hubris and immaturity as a coach. He thinks his "brilliance" will allow him to scheme a game plan to help out his OL. That his coaching will turn a bad OL into an average one, and an average OL into a good one. But sometimes he gets out-schemed (been happening a lot more frequently lately) and the game comes down to players making up the difference. Hard to do that when you have less talent. Man-on-man, players have to step up and win their battles and coaching sometimes has nothing to do with it.

The oline has been good this year, until teams got enough tape to see what the Rams were and weren't doing. The line was not built for what it's doing right now. If they get back to real play-action and actually running the ball, they'll look just fine.

When big interior dline guys know they can just rush forward, the Rams are in a bad spot.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Point out where I mentioned Brian Allen negatively in this thread. That's YOUR projection. I have been talking about Creed Humphreys all year, so it wasn't because of the last two losses. I have said in the past that Brian Allen exceeded my expectations and that he worked hard to get better than I though he could be. Please quote where I "shit on Brian Allen."

Did I SAY it was you in the first place? C'mon man. The damn thread title was changed. Again no one cared until the losses and everyone suddenly bitches on him and goes on "well they shoulda taken so and so" mantra.

I am of the opinion that quality NFL linemen don't grow on trees in the 7th round or UDFA's, but you can believe what you want about Snead's philosophy on drafting quality linemen. I think it relies too much on flashy skill players instead of the heart of any team, which are the lines.

His linemen picks have resulted in part of a top line the past few years. I think he's doing just fine in that regard. A game where the center was obviously playing injured doesn't change any of that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People's biases are showing.

We all know better than to decide how careers will go halfway through their rookie year.

There are countless examples of guys have good or bad rookie years and that meaning absolutely nothing

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well without high picks the Rams can still make a big impact with middle round picks by filling holes where you can get top players in that range.

A local radio show was talking up the punter from SD St., Matt Araiza.

The kid is a beast. Has a couple of 80 yrd punts and something like a dozen over 60 this season. May have to burn your 4th or 5th on him. He is the number one rated punter on GBN Draft Report.

So grab a cheap punter, let Hekker go for some extra cap room. Add another ILB, a FB, and a C/G. Then maybe bring in a vet CB cheap.

All positions of need and can get quality in those rounds at those positions.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
How many sacks has the rookie Center From KC allowed?
  • KC Chiefs select – Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma Round 2: No. 63 .
There were a ton of us that expected the Rams to draft Humphrey at #63 after he slid.

Allen has been decent this year overall but the reach for Tutu is making many Rams fans shake their heads even more.

Hoping Allen and his injured elbow heals up for the big showdown at Green Bay.

business-commerce-tv-television-television_show-tv_show-tv_program-aba0435_low.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Playing a very injured Brian Allen & getting such poor results told me that McVay's groomed backup center who's been lurking around since 2018 Coleman Shelton does not have a future here.

I would guess this 2022 starting center position along with the backup center position is vacant after this season & McVay will be needing a few new ones. Neither of the above has a 2022 Ram contract.

Tano

Legend
Playing a very injured Brian Allen & getting such poor results told me that McVay's groomed backup center who's been lurking around since 2018 Coleman Shelton does not have a future here.

I would guess this 2022 starting center position along with the backup center position is vacant after this season & McVay will be needing a few new ones. Neither of the above has a 2022 Ram contract.
Where is the head hitting the brick emoticon

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
People's biases are showing.

We all know better than to decide how careers will go halfway through their rookie year.

There are countless examples of guys have good or bad rookie years and that meaning absolutely nothing
I admit that I'm definitely biased towards drafting Humphrey. I think he'll continue to be a great center. Don't recall many lineman that start out good and then completely fall off. Whether Humphrey keeps it up is always to be determined

Exactly why I don't buy that we didn't need him as he would have been cheap and extended that window so we could focus on other positions of need, but we are where we are. Hopefully it doesn't bite us in the ass.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
On a side note, I hope Allen is resigned at a cheap rate because our oline depth will take a hit if we don't. We may need to ride that train now. Hope he keeps improving.

Our small Oline is not designed for the drop back passing game.
Rams have to get back to their roots of moving the pocket with PA
We can still do drop back passing, but not so much that teams are game planning
for it. and they are.
That's really the main reason as you pointed out. We don't have the O-line to just sit back and sling it...never have had that since McVay came on board because he was a play-action play caller and needs a nimble line. We are just sitting there declaring our intentions right off the bat when we go empty on 1st down.

I hope McVay realized that Stafford is not superman and can use some help. It would prevent Stafford from playing Hero ball and trying to do too much. It's ingrained in Stafford to play hero-ball....he played on teams that he was the guy who had to produce or they lost.