Brian Allen has allowed the most sacks at the center position with 5

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well Whit getting torched in 1.3 seconds was the cause of one of our early turnovers. So for all the flak Allen has gotten (which was deserved btw) he's not the only guy who has shown cracks thus far in protections.

I don't have the stomach to review this game let alone endure the NFL's shitty gamepass video but I suspect it might be time to install Noteboom at LT and see what he has so they can make a good call on whether to retain him.
Chances of them doing that and embarrassing Whit seem very low.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t, just pointing out at least one hurdle.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Chances of them doing that and embarrassing Whit seem very low.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t, just pointing out at least one hurdle.
Whit's a big boy. He understands what is at stake. Still a bit early for that, I admit, but if things don't get balanced up on offense it would be wise to start mixing in Boom at least to get a good look at him.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Whitworth is ancient by LT standards, but is still performing at a very high level.

Even the best LTs get beat from time to time. Whitworth has been very good this year.

To me, wanting Noteboom playing over Whitworth - especially considering the importance of continuity and veteran leadership on the offensive line - is ridiculous considering that Big Whit is still bringing it.

I can see wanting to move on from Whitworth in the off-season, on the rationale that he is only getting older, a rapid decline could hit at any time, the roster having many holes to fill, and Noteboom costing much less cap space. But for 2021-22, the money has already been spent, and freeing up cap space now won't do us much good. As long as Whitworth is healthy, he needs to be the starting LT. Make no mistake about it, he gives the Rams the best chance to win.

Depth is essential in the trenches. I wouldn't mind Noteboom rotating in for some snaps when games are decided early, be it in victory or defeat, in order to keep Whitworth as fresh and healthy as possible for the playoffs. It seems increasingly likely the Rams will be a wild card and have a long/gruelling road. Let's keep our old LT as fresh as possible. :thumbsup1:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams starting center Brian Allen was the best rated Rams OL'er last week against the Packers.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams starting center Brian Allen was the best rated Rams OL'er last week against the Packers.

My concern with Allen is more about his ability to stay healthy. He was lost for a year and a half during the 2019/2020 seasons, and was nursing an elbow injury for a few games this year. When McVay announced that Coleman Shelton was our next man up, he pretty much admitted that our interior OL depth was a severe problem. For much of the pre-season we were led to believe that Austin Corbett would be our new starting Center, and when Evans and others failed miserably at RG, Corbett was forced to retreat back to the starting RG position. It quickly became clear that McVay/Carberry lack confidence in our OL depth as a wounded Allen remained in the lineup while Shelton at Center or Evans/Anchrum at RG remain benched. Allen suffered his elbow injury early in the Titans game, and the Rams went on to lose that game as well as our next one against the 49'ers, so a one armed Allen was deemed more serviceable than a healthy Shelton/Evans/Anchrum.
The Rams are unlikely to find an instant upgrade to our interior OL depth problems in the next draft considering where we will be picking, so I'll hope once again we might address these needs in free agency.
What I'd like to see for 2022 ...

LT - Noteboom
LG - Corbett
C - Allen
RG - Brandon Scherff
RT - Havenstein

David Edwards, who has experience starting at both LG & RG would then become our most viable OG off the bench. The Rams would also draft a Center with more time to get him trained up, relegating Shelton to the practice squad.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My concern with Allen is more about his ability to stay healthy. He was lost for a year and a half during the 2019/2020 seasons, and was nursing an elbow injury for a few games this year. When McVay announced that Coleman Shelton was our next man up, he pretty much admitted that our interior OL depth was a severe problem. For much of the pre-season we were led to believe that Austin Corbett would be our new starting Center, and when Evans and others failed miserably at RG, Corbett was forced to retreat back to the starting RG position. It quickly became clear that McVay/Carberry lack confidence in our OL depth as a wounded Allen remained in the lineup while Shelton at Center or Evans/Anchrum at RG remain benched. Allen suffered his elbow injury early in the Titans game, and the Rams went on to lose that game as well as our next one against the 49'ers, so a one armed Allen was deemed more serviceable than a healthy Shelton/Evans/Anchrum.
The Rams are unlikely to find an instant upgrade to our interior OL depth problems in the next draft considering where we will be picking, so I'll hope once again we might address these needs in free agency.

LT - Noteboom
LG - Corbett
C - Allen
RG - Brandon Scherff
RT - Havenstein

David Edwards, who has experience starting at both LG & RG would then become our most viable OG off the bench. The Rams would also draft a Center with more time to get him trained up, relegating Shelton to the practice squad.
jmo.

Not sure Snead/McVay are capable of drafting a valid early starting center as you suggest River.....I just do not see that it is in them. They have passed on so many currents starting good centers over the last five drafts. I am completely solid in the position HC McVay will never bring a ring to this organization.

It will be interesting to see who Carberry inserts @ RT for the injured Havenstein to start this Sunday. Noteboom? Evans? Jackson? Anchrum?

Their top draft selections since 2017 .....Gerald Everett/ Taylor Rapp/ Joe Noteboom/ Tutu Atwel & Cam Akers have not paid good dividends yet. Last year its would appear that 2nd round selection Van Jefferson does seem to be trending in the right direction IMO. The selection of our current DC was a massive mistake.

It's obvious at this point in time this team is a weak team & not Ram tough enough. I am very disappointed in many of McVay's decisions from an overview perspective & Snead is not in a better position either. I not drinking anymore of this team's Kool-Aid & out of its hyped spell:startstruck:.

Last edited:

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Allen is playing injured because the Rams don't have a legit replacement. I hope he is 100% this week because the Jags can put pressure on opposing QBs...The number one unit that needs attention is the O-line this off season.

Tano

Legend
Allen is playing injured because the Rams don't have a legit replacement. I hope he is 100% this week because the Jags can put pressure on opposing QBs...The number one unit that needs attention is the O-line this off season.
Isn't that every offseason - just shakes head at Rams offseason moves lately when it comes to the offensive line

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
But we have Tutu tearing up the IR!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

LT - Noteboom
LG - Corbett
C - Allen
RG - Brandon Scherff
RT - Havenstein

jmo.

Who would you strongly consider to start @ RT Sunday afternoon if Havenstein needs to sit?

I do not foresee any real possibility of the UFA addition of a good veteran but often injured RG like Brandon Scheriff.

Snead/McVay have proven they do not value good interior OL'ers over most all other positions. I see this as a professional weakness in their game. Having an operating good tough mean strong interior OL would help make the Rams a prominent running team. I see no evidence that this is what McVay desires.

In the end, the truth is, it is proven history they will not move in this direction. Forcing them to go with Bobby Evans & David Edwards as the two OG starters, with Chandler Brewer & Tremayne Anchrum as the reserve in 2022.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In the end, the truth is, it is proven history they will not move in this direction. Forcing them to go with Bobby Evans & David Edwards as the two OG starters, with Chandler Brewer & Tremayne Anchrum as the reserve in 2022.

I don't think that will be the case, but who knows? I hope they let Bobby Evans walk and Anchrum I might look at, but with multiple compensatory picks coming and the lack of depth on the OL, the Rams will have no alternative, but to draft a few like they did when they drafted Evans & Edwards.

Bobby Evans has been a disappointment and I do not trust him. If Havenstein cannot go, I expect Noteboom to play RT as you put your best 5 OL on the field. Still have hope for Alaric Jackson too, but overall, the Rams have to upgrade and although they have not focused on the OL recently, one has to surmised they will be forced to in 2022,

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Who would you strongly consider to start @ RT Sunday afternoon if Havenstein needs to sit?

I do not foresee any real possibility of the UFA addition of a good veteran but often injured RG like Brandon Scheriff.

Snead/McVay have proven they do not value good interior OL'ers over most all other positions. I see this as a professional weakness in their game. Having an operating good tough mean strong interior OL would help make the Rams a prominent running team. I see no evidence that this is what McVay desires.

Tough question, especially with Carberry rather than Kromer as our offensive line coordinator. If Kromer were still here, I'd assume Evans would get the call at RT, although with Carberry we saw more of Anchrum this pre-season at the position. Alaric Jackson was getting his pre-season snaps at LT, but many expect him to eventually become our primary back-up behind Havenstein. I don't believe they will risk moving Noteboom to RT, if he's injured then we risk a serious problem at LT should Whitworth falter. As we haven't seen how Carberry has practiced his OL reserves since pre-season, I can't really produce an educated guess.

The Rams have an aging QB, we also have Noteboom, Corbett & Allen who will be seeking decent raises for their second contract. Whitworth's likely retirement along with a Stafford extension should make re-signing our current OL players fairly easy, with a little something left over if they decide to pursue a free agent. The real question is whether McSnead will come to appreciate building a stronger OL or will he rely on later round drafted jags to suffice ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think that will be the case, but who knows? I hope they let Bobby Evans walk and Anchrum I might look at, but with multiple compensatory picks coming and the lack of depth on the OL, the Rams will have no alternative, but to draft a few like they did when they drafted Evans & Edwards.

Bobby Evans has been a disappointment and I do not trust him. If Havenstein cannot go, I expect Noteboom to play RT as you put your best 5 OL on the field. Still have hope for Alaric Jackson too, but overall, the Rams have to upgrade and although they have not focused on the OL recently, one has to surmised they will be forced to in 2022,
I fully agree with you here den.

Joe Noteboom does not need to play the strong side ORT post for any reason from my point of view. His talents just do not fit there.

But we saw this season that Bobby Evans is the first off the bench @ both OG positions & I am sure it would be the same @ RT. I have no idea why Evans is held in such a high position.:explode1::thumbsdown:

I have no information as to where the under 6-2 Tremayne Anchrum has been practicing since he returned from the IR. I was aware that that before his preseason injuries that he was getting practice snaps primarily @ OG the last few weeks in the preseason after the Rams finally :eyeroll:realized that Evans was a train wreck inside. It sure took them long enough it was highly evident last season Evans could not effectively perform in the OG positions.

The over 6-7 rookie Alaric Jackson was projected by most all analysis before the draft to be a prospect to move inside @ LG or RG @ the NFL level with some possibilities @ RT due to his strong run-blocking & nasty tough demeanor but the Rams played him primarily @ LT with some RT. Jackson might give David Edwards some heat @ LG if Edwards continues to struggle with his poor run-blocking abilities. Jackson saw plenty of action starting @ OG during the week of the senior bowl with Snead in attendance.

I'll be watching for this change @ LG in the future. While Evans has solidly joined the numerous failed 3rd round draft selection cadre for Snead/McVay, Edwards has not improved as expected in his 3rd season while having the benefit of playing two seasons side by side to a future HOF Whitworth. That alone should sound the alarms :emergency:to prepare for some serious plans for future modifications @ the LG post. It very well might be that the over 6-6 framed Edwards is best suited to play the position of RT in the NFL. That's where I would insert him next season behind Havenstein.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Tough question, especially with Carberry rather than Kromer as our offensive line coordinator. If Kromer were still here, I'd assume Evans would get the call at RT, although with Carberry we saw more of Anchrum this pre-season at the position. Alaric Jackson was getting his pre-season snaps at LT, but many expect him to eventually become our primary back-up behind Havenstein. I don't believe they will risk moving Noteboom to RT, if he's injured then we risk a serious problem at LT should Whitworth falter. As we haven't seen how Carberry has practiced his OL reserves since pre-season, I can't really produce an educated guess.

The Rams have an aging QB, we also have Noteboom, Corbett & Allen who will be seeking decent raises for their second contract. Whitworth's likely retirement along with a Stafford extension should make re-signing our current OL players fairly easy, with a little something left over if they decide to pursue a free agent. The real question is whether McSnead will come to appreciate building a stronger OL or will he rely on later round drafted jags to suffice ?
I do not expect that Whitworth will return next season either with what has occurred this season & the window near closed for the Rams. Thus making Noteboom a very important UFA signing.

If you read my above reply den post you will get an idea of where I see Alaric Jackson's future in the NFL.

I see no evidence that McVay has been really concerned the first half of this season with the goal of keeping his costly aging well used & often injured QB from being in a declining state presently. I posted my early concerns on that issue back in the spring. I do not expect McVay to change. Who will make him change?

Nor do I see any real concentration by Snead/McVay to be primarily concerned with the rebuilding or new injection of OL'ers in the future with what dinky ammo they have remaining. The rebuilding and backfilling better effective ammunition has been basically already fired with the used discarded ammo casing remaining on the field being ground into the turf.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Brian Allen is getting the most out of what he is.. an undersized and modestly athletic NFL starter.

The big question, moving forward, is what the Rams want the oline identity to be. This offseason we heard a lot of reporting about the Rams wanting to get bigger and more physical on the OIL... and they ended up a little smaller than last year.
My question is whether going with Allen was absolutely the right call, or is there some impatience in McVay? Maybe it would've taken half a season for the oline to really click with Evans at guard and Corbett at center.. but maybe it would've been more stout up the middle and more physical in both the run and pass games. This is COMPLETE speculation, but I wonder if expediency wins out with McVay over long-term growth.

Either way.. we're seeing the oline is limited in what it can do in the run game and that's having an impact. I have little doubt the line would've been worse earlier in the season with Corbett and Evans over Allen.. but I don't know what it could've looked like now.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The Brian Baldinger breakdown of our blocking scheme was pretty brutal. Seems they're only asking our OL to "position block" rather than driving the DL off the ball.

Some of these things may be scheme putting OL in tougher positions.