Breer predicting Cutler to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That makes no sense. Why would the Titans want to trade away a pick that could land them Marriota or Winston in favor of Cutler? Cutler has a lot of on field NFL baggage that comes with him. I'd take Marriota or Winston over Cutler just for the chance that one of them pans out. (I think Winston is most likely to succeed, unless Marriota gets into the right system.)

Makes all the sense in the world when you look at the head coach and organization.

Ken Whisenhunt won with a veteran Kurt Warner and probably understands that he doesn't have time to wait for a rookie to develop.

And organizationally, one could say that their last two 1st Round QBs Locker (2011) & Young (2006) busted and the former Vandy (TN) product might even help put butts in the seats.

Plus, Winston has off the field baggage & Mariota might seem a bit too close to to their last couple of 1st round choices at the position.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Makes all the sense in the world when you look at the head coach and organization.

Ken Whisenhunt won with a veteran Kurt Warner and probably understands that he doesn't have time to wait for a rookie to develop.

And organizationally, one could say that their last two 1st Round QBs Locker (2011) & Young (2006) busted and the former Vandy (TN) product might even help put butts in the seats.

Plus, Winston has off the field baggage & Mariota might seem a bit too close to to their last couple of 1st round choices at the position.

I don't think that Tennessee is close enough to the playoffs to be thinking of bringing in Cutler. He never worked with Wisenhunt and Young was taken a long long time ago by NFL standards. The only part I agree with is that Cutler may help put a handful more fans in the seats but just how many Vandy/Cutler fans are there really? Vandy doesn't have a big following.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't think that Tennessee is close enough to the playoffs to be thinking of bringing in Cutler. He never worked with Wisenhunt and Young was taken a long long time ago by NFL standards. The only part I agree with is that Cutler may help put a handful more fans in the seats but just how many Vandy/Cutler fans are there really? Vandy doesn't have a big following.

You might not, but they might believe it's so. They are in the AFC South. Not the NFC West.

And still you've got an organization that has failed on it's last two 1st round QBs. We'd be kidding ourselves if we didn't think that would a strong consideration. Especially with a HC who had a similar experience of his own in Arizona with 1st round bust Matt Lienart.

On top of that, their is no Andrew Luck expected to be in this draft class.

BTW, I'm don't recall Warner working with Wisenhunt prior to them getting together, but I'm not sure that even matters. I'd think any coach would prefer an established veteran vs. a rookie maybe. He could be fired while the guy is developing. And again, that's IF the rookie pans out and isn't the next bust.

Oh and since Vanderbilt and the Titans play in the same city, Vandy doesn't really have to have that big a following, IMO.

Oh well. Makes all the sense in the world to me. Especially with word of the guy wanting to go back to Tennessee. And the Titans ownership has already stated that they are going to be aggressive in making a roster overhaul this offseason.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
BTW, I'm don't recall Warner working with Wisenhunt prior to them getting together, but I'm not sure that even matters. I'd think any coach would prefer an established veteran vs. a rookie maybe. He could be fired while the guy is developing. And again, that's IF the rookie pans out and isn't the next bust.

I don't recall Cutler winning a Superbowl or Bradford having a bad rep for not getting along with coaches or teammates. My point with Wisenhunt is that he may be scared off by all of the Cutler baggage. If he worked with Cutler previously then maybe they have some other connection but comparing Cutler to Warner in this situation is not the same situation.

Oh and since Vanderbilt and the Titans play in the same city, Vandy doesn't really have to have that big a following, IMO.

You suggested that it would be a motivator for the owner to put more butts in the seats.......as in Vandy fan butts. Just saying there really aren't many.

From Cutlers point you may be right. Tennessee may feel like home and represent a less stressful environment full of hugs and homecooking. That is why I feel like the Jets and Washington would be a bad match for him. They are pressure cookers that he wouldn't fit. However, Fisher as a coach that players like to play for could represent a similar situation for Cutler. None of this would matter though unless the Bears just outright release him. In a trade he goes to the highest bidder.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't recall Cutler winning a Superbowl or Bradford having a bad rep for not getting along with coaches or teammates. My point with Wisenhunt is that he may be scared off by all of the Cutler baggage. If he worked with Cutler previously then maybe they have some other connection but comparing Cutler to Warner in this situation is not the same situation.

Anything is possible. But, my guess is that Wisenhunt could and would talk to actual coaches and players to get the real scoop. Not just the media scoop. Either way, I'd still guess that he'd prefer a veteran over a rookie. And that upper management probably would, too.

You suggested that it would be a motivator for the owner to put more butts in the seats.......as in Vandy fan butts. Just saying there really aren't many.

Nationwide? Of course not. But, in the city of Nashville? Yes. And those are the ones who will be buying the tickets.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Anything is possible. But, my guess is that Wisenhunt could and would talk to actual coaches and players to get the real scoop. Not just the media scoop. Either way, I'd still guess that he'd prefer a veteran over a rookie. And that upper management probably would, too.

Nationwide? Of course not. But, in the city of Nashville? Yes. And those are the ones who will be buying the tickets.

You are talking about a miniscule amount of fans, if that. Do you really think that there are Cutler fans that are ardent enough to get their Jay Cutler T-shirts out and start following the Titans and suddenly pay to go to games just because he is there? As you know, I am a Penn State Alum and I know hundreds of PSU fans but not a single one that would go to a game or start to follow a team just because Kerry Collins was playing for them. How many Ohio State fans became Ram fans just because they drafted James Laurinitis? Conversely, I disliked Ohio State but didn't stop following the Rams when they drafted Laurinitis over Poszluzny. College affiliation and players don't spawn NFL fans.....with the exception of close friends and family of the players.

And sure I guess Wisenhunt could look into pursuing Cutler just as he would look into Jameis Winstons misgivings. However if the Titans end up feeling that Winstons problems stemmed from immaturity and they were in position to choose him then they most likely go with the rookie IMO over the guy who is disliked by teammates and coaches in the NFL. Minus the off field stuff Winston is a very good pro prospect, much better than Locker or Vince Young.

But I guess it comes down to who wants Cutler most if he gets traded. He could end up in New England.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
You are talking about a miniscule amount of fans, if that. Do you really think that there are Cutler fans that are ardent enough to get their Jay Cutler T-shirts out and start following the Titans and suddenly pay to go to games just because he is there? As you know, I am a Penn State Alum and I know hundreds of PSU fans but not a single one that would go to a game or start to follow a team just because Kerry Collins was playing for them. How many Ohio State fans became Ram fans just because they drafted James Laurinitis? Conversely, I disliked Ohio State but didn't stop following the Rams when they drafted Laurinitis over Poszluzny. College affiliation and players don't spawn NFL fans.....with the exception of close friends and family of the players.

And sure I guess Wisenhunt could look into pursuing Cutler just as he would look into Jameis Winstons misgivings. However if the Titans end up feeling that Winstons problems stemmed from immaturity and they were in position to choose him then they most likely go with the rookie IMO over the guy who is disliked by teammates and coaches in the NFL. Minus the off field stuff Winston is a very good pro prospect, much better than Locker or Vince Young.

But I guess it comes down to who wants Cutler most if he gets traded. He could end up in New England.

Maybe you are correct. But, I've noticed that things are a bit different down South than they are up North. I'm a Rams fan. Love the team. But, when the Titans were in Memphis, I even went to a couple of games just to see my former classmate Steve McNair. And I know of a bunch of Alcorn State alummi, fraternity brothers and their families who did the same and went to more than I did. And Alcorn State is about 4.5 - 5 hours away from Memphis. And again, I'm a Rams fan. But, if during that same season, there were a Memphis Tiger like Isaac Bruce or DeAngelo Williams playing for the team, I might have bought season tickets myself. And I'm neither a close friend or family member of either. Games down here can be social events. My wife & her friends wanted to go and none of them have a clue about football.

On Wisenhunt? We also will have to agree to disagree. I doubt any coach who hasn't personally had a bad experience with Cutler would choose a rookie "maybe" over him. And I question if there is any coach that doesn't have enough ego to think they couldn't work with Cutler even if there were issues.

Last edited: