Breer predicting Cutler to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I really think you are overlooking one fact. The Rams window is beginning to open. They have a shaky Bradford to rely on, to carry them through the next few years of potential NFL dominance with the current defense getting even better. If they don't have a QB to score a few points they don't win. Cutler wouldn't have to score 34 pts a game with the Rams defense so his job just got easier. However, if they don't get an NFL quality starter to carry them through the next few years they may miss their best opportunity in years to win a Superbowl. We are not talking about Cutler on a 10 year contract here. Just a two or three year contract until the Rams can find a viable young starter.

He would be a stop gap. He would be insurance to make sure that this rebuild that has finally arrived does not go for naught.
Carson Palmer 2.0

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Didn't know he told Martz to go freak himself! lol
Yeah, Cutler and Kyle Turley are, AFAIK, the only former Martz players that have criticized him on the record.

To me, that tends to say more positive about Martz than otherwise if those two are his detractors.

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The opportunity for a rare quarterback swap exists with Cutler and Bradford. Their salaries and dead money are close enough to each other’s that a trade involving the two of them wouldn’t have much of an effect on either team’s salary cap.
tumblr_mz73406fjk1sbx1tso1_250.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Is that supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?
Neither, although i think it's safe to say that bringing in Palmer for a 6th rd draft pick has worked out nicely for them...until they decided to pay him $50 million and he promptly got injured. Still...my thinking is that the Rams could decide to go with a veteran(who's better than Hill or Davis) for a season or two until they can draft and groom a young QB. Cutler could be that guy.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If you don't get into the money side of it it's pretty much like saying "well he wasn't a very good RG for the Sacramento Pansies but Boudreau will coach him up so let's get him in FA." Demoff and Boudreau may be good at their jobs but they're not miracle workers and this kind of stuff always comes at a cost doesn't it? Putting a large amount of resources in one area means you have less for the other areas. All for a guy who may never see the field? But I do understand your point about the closing window of opportunity.

I'm still willing to bet on the subject of Cutler's willingness. Just let me know.

As far as I know, he hasn't worn out his welcome anywhere. He was the one who asked to be traded when he went to the Bears and so far it's only rumored that he might have worn out his welcome with them. Furthermore, You must not think very highly of your own assessment of Cutler if you think that no one else would want him. Why wouldn't the other teams see the same things in Cutler that you do?

Why would he need to prove himself to the entire world? Certainly not to get another contract because he'd be 34 years old even if he just signed a 2 year contract.
For his legacy? :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Now, I can see some merit in your last point. Of course he just got through telling the world that he wants to stay in Chicago and maybe that's just BS but judging by the stance he took when Shanafanafofana tried to undercut him by signing another QB when he was in Denver, I tend to take him at his word when it comes to that kind of stuff.

As I've run out of colors I'll end this with a final thought. I think your idea is good but the logistics are beyond the Rams. We'll see.
Taste the rainbow, bro.(y)

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I have to say I amused when I read Vince Young's name brought up. One of St. Louis' local radio guys, Chris Duncan tells an awesome story about VY that paints the picture of him that many of us suspected:

Duncan was an outfielder for the Cardinals a few years back who had an average kind of career. He was at a sportscard show with Vince Young right after he led Texas to that win over USC in the Rose Bowl signing some things. Duncan tells it that VY was autographing footballs as the "Roze Bowl" Champion.

Cutler is an arrogant man, but he is not an idiot.

RamBill

Legend
Schefter: Bears May Have to Give Up Pick to Dump Cutler

From Adam Schefter

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/873137182738924

Several NFL executives believe that it’s possible for Bears QB Jay Cutler to go from being benched to becoming a first-scenario, test-case trade. Never before has a team trading a player also had to give up drat-pick compensation to get rid of him. But some NFL executives believe that with any team having to absorb $25.5 million worth of guarantees in Cutler’s contract, the Bears might have to package a decent draft pick to get another team to take him. NFL rules dictate that nominal compensation must be exchanged between teams, but it could mean another team surrendering a late-round pick to Chicago for Cutler and a better pick. Such a scenario could enrage Bears fans, but to get a team to take on so much guaranteed money that could be used on valuable free agents and contract extensions, the Bears just might have to compensate a team with more than Cutler to do it.

Alan

Legend
I guess that answers the question about the guaranteed money.

Of course they could restructure his contract now in a way that would force them to pay some, most or all of that guaranteed money immediately so this article is a little disingenuous.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, Cutler and Kyle Turley are, AFAIK, the only former Martz players that have criticized him on the record.

To me, that tends to say more positive about Martz than otherwise if those two are his detractors.

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Faulk and Warner did a little in a piece with them and Martz on NFL network when the SB v. Patriots came up.

Conwell did too after he left when asked about the SB and he and some others were on the sideline telling Martz to run the ball and he supposedly said "we're winning this game my way".

RB's in SF and DET and CHI have also been critical of his play calling.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Neither, although i think it's safe to say that bringing in Palmer for a 6th rd draft pick has worked out nicely for them...until they decided to pay him $50 million and he promptly got injured. Still...my thinking is that the Rams could decide to go with a veteran(who's better than Hill or Davis) for a season or two until they can draft and groom a young QB. Cutler could be that guy.

Meh.....3 years 50 mil with 20 mil guaranteed was a good deal for both parties. The AZ front office learned some lessons from somewhere because they don't do as many dumbass things as they used to it seems. I don't know if there are different people tha last 6-7 years but they aren't the doormat they used to be.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Faulk and Warner did a little in a piece with them and Martz on NFL network when the SB v. Patriots came up.

Conwell did too after he left when asked about the SB and he and some others were on the sideline telling Martz to run the ball and he supposedly said "we're winning this game my way".

RB's in SF and DET and CHI have also been critical of his play calling.
If you've got any links, I'd be interested.

As to SB36, I still think:

1. If the Rams did switch to a balance attack and then lost, those criticizing Martz for the loss would just be criticizing him again for abandoning what had gotten them there.

2. I believe many phantom holding calls would have materialized because the refs WERE NOT letting them win that game no matter what.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

From Adam Schefter

Several NFL executives believe that it’s possible for Bears QB Jay Cutler to go from being benched to becoming a first-scenario, test-case trade. Never before has a team trading a player also had to give up drat-pick compensation to get rid of him. But some NFL executives believe that with any team having to absorb $25.5 million worth of guarantees in Cutler’s contract, the Bears might have to package a decent draft pick to get another team to take him. NFL rules dictate that nominal compensation must be exchanged between teams, but it could mean another team surrendering a late-round pick to Chicago for Cutler and a better pick. Such a scenario could enrage Bears fans, but to get a team to take on so much guaranteed money that could be used on valuable free agents and contract extensions, the Bears just might have to compensate a team with more than Cutler to do it.
I thought that as far as the NFL salary cap goes, trading doesn't get rid of your salary cap issues, it just puts them on the receiving team as well.

So trading Cutler would result in the same amount of dead money that cutting him would.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If you've got any links, I'd be interested.

As to SB36, I still think:

1. If the Rams did switch to a balance attack and then lost, those criticizing Martz for the loss would just be criticizing him again for abandoning what had gotten them there.

2. I believe many phantom holding calls would have materialized because the refs WERE NOT letting them win that game no matter what.

It's been so long I don't but it's out there you can find the stuff.

If you rewatch the SB and look at the defensive alignments of the Patriots they were all but ignoring the run. Had Martz started pounding Faulk like he did in Philly the Patriots would have been forced to drop the 7 DB alignments and then they would have had to face the Rams with a conventional defense.

When they played mid season that same year in cold weather Warner lit them up because there was the threat of the run from Faulk. It was a kind sloppy game on both sides because of the field and the weather but the Patriots weren't dropping 7 DB's into coverage and ignoring the run.

I don't buy into the conspiracy about the Patriots being red white and blue and that's why they won. Nobody gave a rats azz about them back then and the Rams were the darlings of the NFL.

Memphis Ram

Legend

From Adam Schefter

Very Interesting.

th